A STUNNING strike by Kyle Walker-Peters helped Saints to a 1-0 victory over Bristol City in the Championship at St Mary's on Wednesday evening.

Bristol City had the better of the chances in the first half with Gavin Bazunu denying Mark Sykes and Tommy Conway in quick succession.

But minutes after halftime, Saints took the lead when Adam Armstrong found Walker-Peters from distance and he fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner.

The result means Southampton sit fourth in the Championship, a point off Leeds United in third and have gone 10 games without defeat.

Russell Martin made three changes to the side who drew 1-1 with Huddersfield Town on Saturday with Ryan Manning, Shea Charles, and Chalry Alcaraz all coming into the team.

Kamaldeen Sulemana had the first chance of the night when he was found down the left-hand side but his effort was tame and into the arms of Max O'Leary.

Saints fans were frustrated with referee Keith Stroud when he showed early bookings for Adam Armstrong and Kyle Walker-Peters in the opening 15 minutes.

They were almost celebrating a few minutes later, though, when a neat move involving Kamaldeen and Alcaraz led to A Armstrong striking at goal but his effort was deflected behind for a corner.

Conway had the Robins' first opportunity but the attacker could only head over the bar after being left unmarked from a corner.

Martin was forced into a substitution on 34 minutes as Kamaldeen hobbled off with Che Adams replacing the Ghanaian international.

Bazunu has made a number of spectacular saves this season and the Irishman had to be on hand twice in quick succession to keep the game goalless.

First, he clawed away Mark Sykes' goalbound header before he raced off his line soon after to prevent Conway from opening the scoring.

Another man having an impressive night for Saints was midfielder Charles who had looked right at home on his return to the side.

There were boos at half time aimed at referee Keith Stroud from the St Mary's faithful for what they felt was a poor display from the official.

Those boo's had soon turned to celebration at the start of the second half when Walker-Peters received the ball on the edge of the area and fired a stunning shot into the top left corner.

It left O'Leary with no chance in the Bristol City goal with Saints getting off to the perfect start after the break.

The hosts would have been keen to add to their advantage after losing their one-goal lead against Huddersfield on Saturday.

Alcaraz, sensing that, curled an effort wide from the edge of the box after some tenacious work from A Armstrong in the build-up.

There was a round of applause from the crowd in the 59th minute for Simon Oakley, who passed away earlier this month after the emergency incident against Rotherham United.

Will Smallbone and Joe Aribo were introduced for the final 10 minutes as the home side looked to hold on for three points.

They had chances to add to their lead, but the final pass often let them down in the final third Martin's side will host Cardiff City on Saturday as they look to put more pressure on their promotion rivals at the top of the Championship.

Saints: Bazunu; Walker-Peters, Harwood-Bellis, Bednarek, Manning (Bree, 92); Charles (Aribo, 82), Downes, S Armstrong (Smallbone, 82); Alcaraz, Kamaldeen (Adams, 34), A Armstrong

Unused Subs: Lumley, Holgate, Fraser, Edozie, Mara.

Booked: A Armstrong, Walker-Peters, Manning

Bristol City: O'Leary; Tanner, Vyner, Dickie, Naismith (Williams, 70); James, Gardner-Hickman; Sykes (Mehmeti, 76), Knight, Bell (Weimann, 64); Conway (Cornick, 64)

Unused Subs: Bajic, Knight-Lebel, Yeboah

Booked: James

Referee: Keith Stroud

Attendance: 28,047

Goals: Walker-Peters 48'