SAINTS produced a stunning fightback to win 5-3 at St Mary's to keep their 25-match unbeaten run going.

Joe Rothwell scored his first goals for the club at the start of the second half to bring the hosts level after they had gone two goals behind before the break.

Alex Matos put Huddersfield back into the lead with 25 minutes left but Russell Martin's side refused to give in and they were level when Tom Lees put into his own net.

Sekou Mara and Sam Edozie both netted late on to seal the victory on a crazy afternoon on the south coast.

The Saints boss made seven changes to the side that beat Watford 3-0 in the FA Cup on Tuesday - with many of the regular starters returning to the line up.

The visitors had started the contest well and they missed a great chance to open the scoring but Matthew Pearson could only head Sorba Thomas' free-kick over the bar.

Saints were denied a penalty when Fraser tried to control the ball in the Huddersfield area and it flicked off Lees' arm - the referee waved away the appeals though.

The home side were forced into a change midway through the first half with Flynn Downes unable to continue.

Huddersfield took the lead on 36 minutes when Thomas fired Jack Rudoni's cutback beyond Bazunu.

It was the first time Saints had gone behind at home since losing to Ipswich Town on September 19.

The Terriers doubled their advantage just before half-time when the dangerous Thomas found David Kasumu, who slammed it in at the near post.

Saints started the second half on the front foot and they pulled a goal back when Rothwell crashed a stunning volley into the top corner - after a corner was only half-cleared.

Rothwell, who joined on loan from Bournemouth in January, then made it 2-2 when David Brooks' clever pass found the substitute and he struck into the top corner.

Martin's side should have taken the lead when A Armstrong raced through but his chipped attempt was saved by Lee Nicholls.

A wild second half turned again on 66 minutes as Matos cut in and his strike deflected off Smallbone and over Bazunu.

The Irish goalkeeper had to be alert to prevent a Huddersfield fourth when he spread himself to deny Radoni.

Rothwell was involved again in Saints' third goal as his cross was turned into their own net by Lees to make it three each.

The home side then went in front for the first time when substitutes Brooks and Mara combined to score a fourth - with the Frenchman rifling his shot past Nicholls.

Another of the substitutes got in on the act to make it 5-3 as Huddersfield failed to clear before Edozie finished excellently and seal the Saints win.

Saints: Bazunu; Walker-Peters, Harwood-Bellis, Bednarek, Manning; Downes (Rothwell, 33), Smallbone, S Armstrong (Kamaldeen, 71); A Armstrong (Mara, 79), Fraser (Edozie, 71), Adams (Brooks, ht)

Unused Subs: Lumley, Stephens, Charles, Dibling

Booked: Bednarek, Manning

Huddersfield Town: Nicholls; Pearson, Lees, Spencer (Jackson, 67), Nakayama; Hogg, Matos; Thomas, Radoni, Kasumu; Koroma (Jones, 76)

Unused Subs: Maxwell, Bellagambi, Radulovic, Diarra, Edwards, Wiles, Iorpenda

Booked: Spencer, Rudoni, Jackson

Referee: David Webb

Attendance: 29,863

Goals: Thomas 36'

Kasumu 45'

Rothwell 49'

Rothwell 50'

Matos 66'

Lees og 80'

Mara 84'

Edozie 91'