PLANS to improve public access to a 23-mile stretch of Hampshire's coastline have been unveiled by Natural England.

Members of the public are being invited to have their say on the proposals, which affect the area between Gosport and Calshot.

The route will include Netley Abbey, the Royal Victoria Country Park and Titchfield Haven Nature Reserve.

If approved it will become part of the England Coast Path – a 2,700-mile walking route which will be the longest facility of its type in the world.

Andrew Smith, Natural England’s Area Manager for Hampshire, said: "We have had discussions with many landowners and key organisations along the proposed route.

"Their input has been essential and helped shape the proposals.

“Over the next eight weeks, we are inviting organisations, farmers, local residents, visitors and businesses to have their say. It’s important that all responses are taken into account and we look forward to hearing people’s views.”

This is the fourth stretch of the England Coast Path to be developed in Hampshire.

It comes during the government’s Year of Green Action, a commitment outlined in the 25-Year Environment Plan to inspire more people to engage with the natural world.

The route will be well signposted to ensure that walkers are able to remain on the path and progress their journey with ease. There will also be infrastructure improvements such as new footbridges and steps, safety features and information panels.

Anyone may have their say about the reports during the eight-week period. Owners and occupiers of affected land may make objections about the reports on specified grounds, which will be considered by a Planning Inspector before the Secretary of State makes a final decision.

All representations must be received by Natural England no later than midnight on Wednesday September 11. Copies of the reports can be viewed in local libraries and council offices. The full reports and all the forms and guidance on how to make a representation or objection within the next eight weeks are also available on the GOV.UK website.