A MAN who beat and raped a woman outside West Quay Shopping Centre could have his prison sentence extended.

Krystian Kwarta “pounced” on a 21-year-old woman as she walked to work in “broad daylight” on February 15 this year.

He put his arm around her throat, “banged her head against a metal pole, pulled her hair and pushed her face into the concrete floor”.

Daily Echo:

Kwarta, 20, of Keyhaven Road, Milford-on-Sea, was jailed on July 1 for eight years with a licence extension of four years.

He previously pleaded guilty to two counts of rape and one count of assault.

But now, a request has been made to the Attorney General’s Office - Fareham MP, Suella Braverman.

Daily Echo:

His sentence could be reviewed under the unduly lenient sentence system.

This only applies to crown court sentences for a selection of crimes, including rape.

Once the case has been reviewed it could be sent to the Court of Appeal. If this happens, a decision will then be taken on whether the sentence should stay the same, is unreasonably low and may increase, or the court may refuse to hear the case.

A conclusion on whether the case should go to the Court of Appeal must take place within 28 days of sentencing.

This means staff at the Attorney General’s Office must complete the process by July 29.

In a statement after Kwarta’s sentencing, Deputy Senior Investigating Officer, DS Claire Ratcliffe said: “This was a premeditated, violent attack on a young woman who was on her way to work.

“This has understandably been a traumatic time for the victim and I would like to commend her for her bravery and courage in coming forward and reporting what happened.”

After the attack, Kwarta kicked her bag away and stole her phone disposing of it near the former Toys“R”Us car park.

Southampton Crown Court heard how the victim was left with “bruises and swelling to her face, chin and the underside of her jaw”, as well as “severe psychological harm”.

A victim statement read out in court said: “I feel scared all the time. I remember as my head was smacked against a metal pole multiple times. I remember trying to scream but no sound came out. I was in so much pain. I felt like I was being punished”.

Kwarta stood clutching a tissue and sobbing as he was sentenced by Judge Peter Henry.