A MAN was repeatedly stabbed in a Southampton street after "hunting down" a neighbour who had thrown a flower pot through his front window.

Southampton Crown Court was told that Owen Watson went in search of Chorley Laxton and knifed him through the hand during a violent confrontation.

But Laxton gained control of the weapon before stabbing Mr Watson four times in the leg and upper body.

Laxton admitted unlawful wounding and was told by Judge Christopher Parker QC: "You are remarkably fortunate that Mr Watson did not die."

Daily Echo: Chorley Laxton has been jailed for a total of 23 months at Southampton Crown Court.Chorley Laxton has been jailed for a total of 23 months at Southampton Crown Court.

Several other people were suspected of being involved in the incident, which occurred at Taranto Road on December 30 last year.

At the time police said a 41-year-old man and 20-year-old woman had been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.

John Dyer, prosecuting, said Laxton stabbed Mr Watson several times in what he described as "excessive self-defence" before dropping the knife and running away.

Peter Asteris, defending, said his client was hunted down and attacked by Mr Watson, but turned the knife on his assailant and now accepted he went "completely over the top".

Judge Parker said the defendant threw the plant pot in response to a remark that had been made about his late mother.

He told him: "Owen Watson was armed with what looks like a metal bar and a knife.

"During the course of a violent confrontation, you were stabbed through the hand. You somehow managed to gain control of the knife and, in what went far beyond self-defence, stabbed Mr Watson twice in the thigh, once in the chest and once in the back.

"You used a highly dangerous weapon to considerable effect. You are remarkably fortunate that Mr Watson did not die."

Laxton, 21, of Taranto Road, was jailed for 20 months for unlawful wounding and three months for an unrelated offence of assault. He had previously pleaded guilty to both counts.

The two terms will run consecutively but Laxton will serve only half his sentence before being released on licence.

The court heard that Mr Watson had not made a complaint against Laxton, nor had he been arrested over his own involvement in the incident.

A message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this article - we appreciate your support in reading the Daily Echo.

Subscribing to the Echo means you have unrestricted access to the latest news, features and Saints coverage - all with an advertising-light website.

You will also have full access to Saintsplus, your new home for Southampton FC tactical analysis, features and much, much more.

Don't take my word for it - subscribe here to see for yourself.

Follow the latest breaking news in the Southampton area by joining our Facebook group - Southampton News - Breaking News and Incidents

Follow the latest court and crime news on our dedicated Facebook group - Hampshire Court and Crime News