Police are taking action to combat the "criminal, dangerous, and anti-social" use of motorbikes in a Hampshire village.

Officers have received numerous complaints about activities taking place at Hamble Recreation Ground on Spitfire Way - an area still known locally as Hamble Airfield.

Residents are being urged to report any sightings so police can study the information and obtain CCTV footage of incidents.

Officers are keen to hear from anyone who knows where the bikes are being stored and who is riding them.

Posting online Hedge End Police said: "Maybe you know who they are or you're a parent or family member and want to prevent them getting into any more trouble with the law or, worst case scenario, injure themselves or a member of the community.

"These people have chosen a hobby they cannot legally undertake.

"To ride a motorcycle on the road you need to be licenced, taxed, insured and the vehicle registered. To ride on public land that isn’t a road you need insurance.

"Insurance is important to financially protect anyone involved in a collision that causes damage and or injury.

"To the users of these motorbikes, you are causing upset and anxiety to the community who are using the area for recreation.

"The ground is being damaged by the reckless behaviour and your presence is not wanted. It will not be tolerated by either the community or the local police. If you continue, we will find you."

READ MORE: Police stop group of men on motorbikes in Southampton

Police have also received an email about motorbikes being ridden on playing fields at Baron Road, Hamble.

Officers checked their records for the previous seven days but found only three reports relating to anti-social behaviour, none of which mentioned the location described.

PC Simon Peacock, of Hedge End South, added: "It is a common theme that communities talk about ASB and crime on their Facebook groups, but don't always tell us about it.

“Understandably, they want something done, but we can’t tackle the long-term issues if we aren’t given the very latest information, or aren’t given information at all.

“We need times, dates, locations, a description of the activity witnessed and a description of the vehicles involved. If it’s a motorbike, we’d like to know what the helmet looks like as well, if possible."

PC Peacock said people could call 101 or report incidents online via the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary website.