A man was rescued by firefighters after a blaze broke out in his kitchen.

Crews from three fire stations - Fareham, Havant, and Hayling Island - were sent to a property at The Keep in Portchester.

Hampshire Fire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service (HIWFRS) was alerted just before 11am today (Friday).

A fire service spokesperson said: "The electric hob had been accidentally switched on, causing a plastic bowl on top to catch fire.

"Firefighters in breathing apparatus led the man, who was suffering with smoke inhalation, to safety.

"The casualty was given immediate emergency care by firefighters before he was handed to SCAS paramedics.

"HIWFRS extinguished the fire with hose reel jets before clearing smoke from the property using ventilation fans.

"Firefighters returned to station after completing a home fire safety visit and delivering community safety materials to neighbouring properties."