Southampton marks 50 years of city status

Daily Echo: MUSIC CHALLENGE: Pupils from Sholing Technology College have signed up to the 50 @ 50 event to mark the 50th anniversary of Southampton gaining city status. MUSIC CHALLENGE: Pupils from Sholing Technology College have signed up to the 50 @ 50 event to mark the 50th anniversary of Southampton gaining city status.

Today is the day that Southampton celebrates the 50th anniversary of its city status.

Dignitaries will gather this evening for a special service at St Mary’s Church, while the mayor will open his chambers to the public this morning. Schools are being urged to celebrate the landmark with a song and dance at a special event, which will be officially launched today.

February 24, 1964, was the date when Southampton officially became the UK’s newest city, following a successful petition to the Queen.

Today city mayor Ivan White was hosting a special reception at his chambers in the Civic Centre.

Children and teachers were invited and every school in the city will be presented with a special 50th anniversary plaque.

Later today, at 5pm, St Mary’s Church will host the special commemorative service which is free for anyone to attend.

School pupils across Southampton are being encouraged to use the anniversary to showcase musical talents as an extravaganza of song, dance and drama is to be staged. Schools are being offered a raft of opportunities for their students to enjoy as part of the 50 @ 50 event that is launched today.

Fifty musical experiences are being staged and schools are being invited to sign up to them in preparation for a month of performances in June.

One school that has already signed up is Sholing Technology College which is hosting an evening inspired by 1964, involving drama, art, textiles and music students. A host of other events will take place in the city to mark the anniversary over the coming months.

On March 23 Guildhall Square will play host to the Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Mile, while the Queen’s Baton will visit the city on June 4 as part of its relay tour ahead of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

Other cultural events will take place in the summer, including a specially commissioned event in Guildhall Square, the details of which remain a closely-guarded secret.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:42pm Mon 24 Feb 14

ToastyTea says...

Pride of the South, the only real city on the South Coast.
Pride of the South, the only real city on the South Coast. ToastyTea
  • Score: 2

1:00pm Mon 24 Feb 14

Smartiepants says...

ToastyTea wrote:
Pride of the South, the only real city on the South Coast.
Are you kidding? I've lived here all my life and I think Pompey are doing so much better than we are and that's down to a forward thinking Council. We have no yacht races here any more, we have no balloon/flower festival/ carnival, a lot of our shops in town are boarded up. There's only so many times people can harp on about wonderful West Quay or the Cruise Capital or the fact that Titania left from here. We literally have nothing else to crow about.
[quote][p][bold]ToastyTea[/bold] wrote: Pride of the South, the only real city on the South Coast.[/p][/quote]Are you kidding? I've lived here all my life and I think Pompey are doing so much better than we are and that's down to a forward thinking Council. We have no yacht races here any more, we have no balloon/flower festival/ carnival, a lot of our shops in town are boarded up. There's only so many times people can harp on about wonderful West Quay or the Cruise Capital or the fact that Titania left from here. We literally have nothing else to crow about. Smartiepants
  • Score: -1

1:27pm Mon 24 Feb 14

Beer Monster says...

Our football team is slightly better than theirs ;-)

To be fair, transport links are pretty darned good in Southampton - over the years I've commuted from Hythe to Salisbury, Chichester and London without needing to learn to drive. I now work in Edinburgh, and the only reason I don't fly every day is because I don't earn enough to be able to justify it.

Speaking of which, Southampton Airport was recently voted the best in the UK; http://www.wanderlus
t.co.uk/magazine/awa
rds/wanderlust-trave
l-awards/the-winners
-2014

Okay, I admit that the city has stagnated of late, but I live in the hope that at some point things will change for the better. In the meantime you can always pop over and see us in the New Forest. We're nice people really :-)
Our football team is slightly better than theirs ;-) To be fair, transport links are pretty darned good in Southampton - over the years I've commuted from Hythe to Salisbury, Chichester and London without needing to learn to drive. I now work in Edinburgh, and the only reason I don't fly every day is because I don't earn enough to be able to justify it. Speaking of which, Southampton Airport was recently voted the best in the UK; http://www.wanderlus t.co.uk/magazine/awa rds/wanderlust-trave l-awards/the-winners -2014 Okay, I admit that the city has stagnated of late, but I live in the hope that at some point things will change for the better. In the meantime you can always pop over and see us in the New Forest. We're nice people really :-) Beer Monster
  • Score: 3

2:00pm Mon 24 Feb 14

George4th says...

Smartiepants wrote:
ToastyTea wrote:
Pride of the South, the only real city on the South Coast.
Are you kidding? I've lived here all my life and I think Pompey are doing so much better than we are and that's down to a forward thinking Council. We have no yacht races here any more, we have no balloon/flower festival/ carnival, a lot of our shops in town are boarded up. There's only so many times people can harp on about wonderful West Quay or the Cruise Capital or the fact that Titania left from here. We literally have nothing else to crow about.
I have to agree with you - Portsmouth is way ahead of Southampton.
Always will be while Southampton have Labour Councils............
........
[quote][p][bold]Smartiepants[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ToastyTea[/bold] wrote: Pride of the South, the only real city on the South Coast.[/p][/quote]Are you kidding? I've lived here all my life and I think Pompey are doing so much better than we are and that's down to a forward thinking Council. We have no yacht races here any more, we have no balloon/flower festival/ carnival, a lot of our shops in town are boarded up. There's only so many times people can harp on about wonderful West Quay or the Cruise Capital or the fact that Titania left from here. We literally have nothing else to crow about.[/p][/quote]I have to agree with you - Portsmouth is way ahead of Southampton. Always will be while Southampton have Labour Councils............ ........ George4th
  • Score: -1

2:17pm Mon 24 Feb 14

southy says...

%0 years ago half of Millbrook and the whole of Redbridge was not in Southampton We came under Romsey Council
%0 years ago half of Millbrook and the whole of Redbridge was not in Southampton We came under Romsey Council southy
  • Score: -8

2:17pm Mon 24 Feb 14

southy says...

50 years ago half of Millbrook and the whole of Redbridge was not in Southampton We came under Romsey Council
50 years ago half of Millbrook and the whole of Redbridge was not in Southampton We came under Romsey Council southy
  • Score: -5

3:17pm Mon 24 Feb 14

charrlee says...

City status? Say it with a lisp and you'd be closer to the mark.
City status? Say it with a lisp and you'd be closer to the mark. charrlee
  • Score: 1

3:28pm Mon 24 Feb 14

freefinker says...

southy wrote:
50 years ago half of Millbrook and the whole of Redbridge was not in Southampton We came under Romsey Council
.. and your point is??
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: 50 years ago half of Millbrook and the whole of Redbridge was not in Southampton We came under Romsey Council[/p][/quote].. and your point is?? freefinker
  • Score: 6

4:13pm Mon 24 Feb 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
50 years ago half of Millbrook and the whole of Redbridge was not in Southampton We came under Romsey Council
Tip - no one cares.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: 50 years ago half of Millbrook and the whole of Redbridge was not in Southampton We came under Romsey Council[/p][/quote]Tip - no one cares. Shoong
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree