The family of Southampton dad Kevin Wyeth have demanded an apology after they say his memory was smeared by claims his wake descended into a brawl.

As reported by the Daily Echo bosses at the Woolston Social Club were battling to secure a temporary licence for the venue.

But their bid was blocked by police who objected to the move after trouble had flared following the wake which was held at the social club in January.

According to a police report put before licensing bosses at Southampton City Council, officers were called to the Victoria Road club to reports of two women and then two men fighting inside the venue around 9pm.

The incident was part of the police’s case against allowing the club to obtain a temporary licence for an event they were planning to hold later this month.

Club bosses said the trouble that ensued that night was a “unique event” that happened on what was described as “a sensitive and emotional day for some people”.

But today Mr Wyeth’s mum Linda Timberlake demanded an apology over the claims that the incident was anything to do with the wake held for her son Kevin who was killed last year.

Mourners She told the Daily Echo how family and close friends of Kevin who were at the wake had left the social club at 6pm – when the licence to hold the event expired. She said that mourners moved on to another venue where a further gathering in Kevin’s memory was being held.

Mrs Timberlake said: “I don’t understand why they had to mention Kevin’s wake at all. We had nothing to do with it. It sounds as if it was the family and friends of Kevin who were involved in the incident afterwards, but we didn’t know anything about it. We weren’t even there.

“It was a day that was full of good memories of Kevin and now I feel that has been smeared by this.”

Mrs Timberlake said the family were attempting to move on after a trial earlier this year found 32-year-old cage-fighter Damon Wright guilty of Kevin’s manslaughter and jailed for ten years.

Kevin was found in Defender Road in Woolston having suffered extensive head injuries.

Despite being contacted by the Daily Echo, no one from the Woolston Social Club was able to comment.