Giant solar farm planned for Broadlands Estate near Romsey

Daily Echo: Giant solar farm planned for historic estate Giant solar farm planned for historic estate

A SOLAR farm the size of 80 football pitches could be built on land belonging to a historic Hampshire estate.

Energy company Solarcentury wants to create the 80-acre facility, which could power more than 4,000 homes, at the Broadlands Estate in Romsey.

It is not yet known how many panels the farm would have, but the company says it would generate 16 megawatts, which could power 4,800 homes in the area.

Solarcentury has not yet submitted a planning application, but this is set to follow after a public consultation.

The Broadlands Estate is owned by Lord and Lady Brabourne. It is the former home of Lord Mountbatten, it covers more than 4,000 acres and is said to date back to the 10th century.

The planned solar farm would be among the biggest solar farms in Hampshire.

The largest one in the county could be being built at Eveley Farm in Houghton, near Stockbridge, and would cover 200 acres and provide power to more than 31,000 homes.

Broadlands Estate previously upset residents after announcing plans for a controversial Tesco store on the grounds.

Broadlands Estate manager Richard Jordan-Baker said: “We are currently in discussions with Solarcentury.

“Having a responsible attitude to, and an interest in, renewable, sustainable energy, the estate is considering Solarcentury's approach.”

A spokesperson for Solarcentury said: “The site has been carefully chosen for its potential to deliver high levels of solar-powered electricity to the local grid and is expected to generate enough electricity to power the equivalent of over 4,000 homes.”

Test Valley borough councillor for Romsey Extra, Ian Hibberd, said: “In general terms it is a good thing, as long as it has not got an adverse impact on the area.

“If the solar farm is in an appropriate area then I think that would be acceptable.”

Residents in the area will receive letters about the plans within the next three weeks and a public consultation meeting will be held on June 27 at Woodley Village Hall.

Solarcentury said that more details would be announced in the next few weeks.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:02am Fri 6 Jun 14

Lone Ranger. says...

Quote:- “Having a responsible attitude to, and an interest in, renewable, sustainable energy, the estate is considering Solarcentury's approach.”
.
Oh really !! ...... If you have such a "responsible attitude" then i am sure that you will donate the land without any rent or income generated from the project. ...
.
I would suggest that all that can be seen is the number of £££££ signs flashing before your eyes
Quote:- “Having a responsible attitude to, and an interest in, renewable, sustainable energy, the estate is considering Solarcentury's approach.” . Oh really !! ...... If you have such a "responsible attitude" then i am sure that you will donate the land without any rent or income generated from the project. ... . I would suggest that all that can be seen is the number of £££££ signs flashing before your eyes Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

10:32am Fri 6 Jun 14

Torchie1 says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Quote:- “Having a responsible attitude to, and an interest in, renewable, sustainable energy, the estate is considering Solarcentury's approach.”
.
Oh really !! ...... If you have such a "responsible attitude" then i am sure that you will donate the land without any rent or income generated from the project. ...
.
I would suggest that all that can be seen is the number of £££££ signs flashing before your eyes
£££££ signs where you just see the opportunity to post another bile ridden comment to relieve your angst. From the outside I must admit that your comments are as funny as Southys but with fewer spelling mistakes.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: Quote:- “Having a responsible attitude to, and an interest in, renewable, sustainable energy, the estate is considering Solarcentury's approach.” . Oh really !! ...... If you have such a "responsible attitude" then i am sure that you will donate the land without any rent or income generated from the project. ... . I would suggest that all that can be seen is the number of £££££ signs flashing before your eyes[/p][/quote]£££££ signs where you just see the opportunity to post another bile ridden comment to relieve your angst. From the outside I must admit that your comments are as funny as Southys but with fewer spelling mistakes. Torchie1
  • Score: 2

11:09am Fri 6 Jun 14

Lone Ranger. says...

Torchie1 wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Quote:- “Having a responsible attitude to, and an interest in, renewable, sustainable energy, the estate is considering Solarcentury's approach.”
.
Oh really !! ...... If you have such a "responsible attitude" then i am sure that you will donate the land without any rent or income generated from the project. ...
.
I would suggest that all that can be seen is the number of £££££ signs flashing before your eyes
£££££ signs where you just see the opportunity to post another bile ridden comment to relieve your angst. From the outside I must admit that your comments are as funny as Southys but with fewer spelling mistakes.
I do find it disappointing when someone like yourself finds it difficult to add a post worthy of any interest, instead, just chooses to criticise other posters for their comments.
.
Go on be a tad inventive and post something that someone may be interested in reading ... I did and caught you .... Now thats Funny.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: Quote:- “Having a responsible attitude to, and an interest in, renewable, sustainable energy, the estate is considering Solarcentury's approach.” . Oh really !! ...... If you have such a "responsible attitude" then i am sure that you will donate the land without any rent or income generated from the project. ... . I would suggest that all that can be seen is the number of £££££ signs flashing before your eyes[/p][/quote]£££££ signs where you just see the opportunity to post another bile ridden comment to relieve your angst. From the outside I must admit that your comments are as funny as Southys but with fewer spelling mistakes.[/p][/quote]I do find it disappointing when someone like yourself finds it difficult to add a post worthy of any interest, instead, just chooses to criticise other posters for their comments. . Go on be a tad inventive and post something that someone may be interested in reading ... I did and caught you .... Now thats Funny. Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

11:23am Fri 6 Jun 14

Torchie1 says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Quote:- “Having a responsible attitude to, and an interest in, renewable, sustainable energy, the estate is considering Solarcentury's approach.”
.
Oh really !! ...... If you have such a "responsible attitude" then i am sure that you will donate the land without any rent or income generated from the project. ...
.
I would suggest that all that can be seen is the number of £££££ signs flashing before your eyes
£££££ signs where you just see the opportunity to post another bile ridden comment to relieve your angst. From the outside I must admit that your comments are as funny as Southys but with fewer spelling mistakes.
I do find it disappointing when someone like yourself finds it difficult to add a post worthy of any interest, instead, just chooses to criticise other posters for their comments.
.
Go on be a tad inventive and post something that someone may be interested in reading ... I did and caught you .... Now thats Funny.
I don't think my sense of humour would appeal to your unpleasant, bigoted and sad view of life where your every post relies on finding something nasty and tribal to write about the incumbent ruling government. Try to chill out, accept that you will gain absolutely nothing by posting childish comments apart from hardening peoples perception that you are just another ranter like Southy who like you can never offer a solution in the finest tradition of the 'Armchair General'. Come back with any empty retort that you can think of, they're all just as funny as each other.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: Quote:- “Having a responsible attitude to, and an interest in, renewable, sustainable energy, the estate is considering Solarcentury's approach.” . Oh really !! ...... If you have such a "responsible attitude" then i am sure that you will donate the land without any rent or income generated from the project. ... . I would suggest that all that can be seen is the number of £££££ signs flashing before your eyes[/p][/quote]£££££ signs where you just see the opportunity to post another bile ridden comment to relieve your angst. From the outside I must admit that your comments are as funny as Southys but with fewer spelling mistakes.[/p][/quote]I do find it disappointing when someone like yourself finds it difficult to add a post worthy of any interest, instead, just chooses to criticise other posters for their comments. . Go on be a tad inventive and post something that someone may be interested in reading ... I did and caught you .... Now thats Funny.[/p][/quote]I don't think my sense of humour would appeal to your unpleasant, bigoted and sad view of life where your every post relies on finding something nasty and tribal to write about the incumbent ruling government. Try to chill out, accept that you will gain absolutely nothing by posting childish comments apart from hardening peoples perception that you are just another ranter like Southy who like you can never offer a solution in the finest tradition of the 'Armchair General'. Come back with any empty retort that you can think of, they're all just as funny as each other. Torchie1
  • Score: 2

11:39am Fri 6 Jun 14

Lone Ranger. says...

Torchie1 wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Quote:- “Having a responsible attitude to, and an interest in, renewable, sustainable energy, the estate is considering Solarcentury's approach.”
.
Oh really !! ...... If you have such a "responsible attitude" then i am sure that you will donate the land without any rent or income generated from the project. ...
.
I would suggest that all that can be seen is the number of £££££ signs flashing before your eyes
£££££ signs where you just see the opportunity to post another bile ridden comment to relieve your angst. From the outside I must admit that your comments are as funny as Southys but with fewer spelling mistakes.
I do find it disappointing when someone like yourself finds it difficult to add a post worthy of any interest, instead, just chooses to criticise other posters for their comments.
.
Go on be a tad inventive and post something that someone may be interested in reading ... I did and caught you .... Now thats Funny.
I don't think my sense of humour would appeal to your unpleasant, bigoted and sad view of life where your every post relies on finding something nasty and tribal to write about the incumbent ruling government. Try to chill out, accept that you will gain absolutely nothing by posting childish comments apart from hardening peoples perception that you are just another ranter like Southy who like you can never offer a solution in the finest tradition of the 'Armchair General'. Come back with any empty retort that you can think of, they're all just as funny as each other.
Oh dear ... you obviously dont like my sense of humour then ..... so you chuck in a few schoolboy insults for good measure ....... No what were you saying about "childish comments" .....
.
.... and yet still you adopt the attacking approach rather than post something of your own ..... Do you anything to post whether its constructive or not ??
.
Come on now have a go at something ...... rather that the schoolboy abuse ... ...... I am sure that you are capable ...... or are you ?
.
Oh and just to choose you own closing line............. "Come back with any empty retort that you can think of, they're all just as funny as each other.
.
.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: Quote:- “Having a responsible attitude to, and an interest in, renewable, sustainable energy, the estate is considering Solarcentury's approach.” . Oh really !! ...... If you have such a "responsible attitude" then i am sure that you will donate the land without any rent or income generated from the project. ... . I would suggest that all that can be seen is the number of £££££ signs flashing before your eyes[/p][/quote]£££££ signs where you just see the opportunity to post another bile ridden comment to relieve your angst. From the outside I must admit that your comments are as funny as Southys but with fewer spelling mistakes.[/p][/quote]I do find it disappointing when someone like yourself finds it difficult to add a post worthy of any interest, instead, just chooses to criticise other posters for their comments. . Go on be a tad inventive and post something that someone may be interested in reading ... I did and caught you .... Now thats Funny.[/p][/quote]I don't think my sense of humour would appeal to your unpleasant, bigoted and sad view of life where your every post relies on finding something nasty and tribal to write about the incumbent ruling government. Try to chill out, accept that you will gain absolutely nothing by posting childish comments apart from hardening peoples perception that you are just another ranter like Southy who like you can never offer a solution in the finest tradition of the 'Armchair General'. Come back with any empty retort that you can think of, they're all just as funny as each other.[/p][/quote]Oh dear ... you obviously dont like my sense of humour then ..... so you chuck in a few schoolboy insults for good measure ....... No what were you saying about "childish comments" ..... . .... and yet still you adopt the attacking approach rather than post something of your own ..... Do you anything to post whether its constructive or not ?? . Come on now have a go at something ...... rather that the schoolboy abuse ... ...... I am sure that you are capable ...... or are you ? . Oh and just to choose you own closing line............. "Come back with any empty retort that you can think of, they're all just as funny as each other. . . Lone Ranger.
  • Score: -1

2:24pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Dan Soton says...

,,

Solar FREAKIN Farms Are So Passé



https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=qlTA3rnp
gzU




,,
,, Solar FREAKIN Farms Are So Passé https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=qlTA3rnp gzU ,, Dan Soton
  • Score: 5

11:10am Sat 7 Jun 14

housewife says...

Put the panels on the roof space of every Retail Park and industrial warehouse BEFORE putting them on greenfield sites.
Every supermarket, every leisure centre, every car showroom should have panels on the roof.
It would add up to LOTS more than projects like this, without taking fields out of food production.
FWIW every new home should be built with PV panels pre installed and heat pumps under the drive ways : its criminal that the house builders are still allowed to put up unsustainable homes.
Put the panels on the roof space of every Retail Park and industrial warehouse BEFORE putting them on greenfield sites. Every supermarket, every leisure centre, every car showroom should have panels on the roof. It would add up to LOTS more than projects like this, without taking fields out of food production. FWIW every new home should be built with PV panels pre installed and heat pumps under the drive ways : its criminal that the house builders are still allowed to put up unsustainable homes. housewife
  • Score: 5

4:29pm Sat 7 Jun 14

Dan Soton says...

Dan Soton wrote:
,,

Solar FREAKIN Farms Are So Passé



https://www.youtube.

com/watch?v=qlTA3rnp

gzU




,,
,,,


The grazing sheep look great, but ten years from now your Lordships Solar Farm is going to look like very poor decision motivated by greed.. it would of been so much better if you had waited and used Transparent Solar Panels...

IMAGINE.. HAMPSHIRE'S VERY OWN SOLAR EDEN PROJECT...

What's not to like, huge solar greenhouses generating power, increasing food yields and saving water..


------

THE BBC'S TOMORROWS WORLD SHOW HOME POWER BY TRANSPARENT PV GLAZING

11/09/2013

The BBC's Tomorrows World show home of 1998 has undergone a refurbishment for the 21st century using Polysolar's transparent PV glazing on its three storey atrium.

The 3.3kW solar PV array should provide more energy over the year than conventional PV panels on a watt-for-watt basis thanks to the product’s unique ability to absorb ambient and reflective light on both sides and in lower light conditions.

The glass therefore works for longer during day and over the whole year.

A further benefit of the product for the residents of Integer House is that because the PV glass lets through the red light spectrum required for photosynthesis the atria will be IDEAL FOR GROWING PLANTS AND WILL PROVIDE A WARM PLEASANT ENVIRONMENT IN WHICH TO SIT OUT IN.

http://www.cambridge
network.co.uk/news/b
re-show-home-refurbi
shment-uses-revoluti
onary-polysolar6981/




,,
[quote][p][bold]Dan Soton[/bold] wrote: ,, Solar FREAKIN Farms Are So Passé https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=qlTA3rnp gzU ,,[/p][/quote],,, The grazing sheep look great, but ten years from now your Lordships Solar Farm is going to look like very poor decision motivated by greed.. it would of been so much better if you had waited and used Transparent Solar Panels... IMAGINE.. HAMPSHIRE'S VERY OWN SOLAR EDEN PROJECT... What's not to like, huge solar greenhouses generating power, increasing food yields and saving water.. ------ THE BBC'S TOMORROWS WORLD SHOW HOME POWER BY TRANSPARENT PV GLAZING 11/09/2013 The BBC's Tomorrows World show home of 1998 has undergone a refurbishment for the 21st century using Polysolar's transparent PV glazing on its three storey atrium. The 3.3kW solar PV array should provide more energy over the year than conventional PV panels on a watt-for-watt basis thanks to the product’s unique ability to absorb ambient and reflective light on both sides and in lower light conditions. The glass therefore works for longer during day and over the whole year. A further benefit of the product for the residents of Integer House is that because the PV glass lets through the red light spectrum required for photosynthesis the atria will be IDEAL FOR GROWING PLANTS AND WILL PROVIDE A WARM PLEASANT ENVIRONMENT IN WHICH TO SIT OUT IN. http://www.cambridge network.co.uk/news/b re-show-home-refurbi shment-uses-revoluti onary-polysolar6981/ ,, Dan Soton
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree