LICENSING bosses have today decided to shut down a Hampshire pub after a catalogue of incidents over the past four years.

City councillors this afternoon agreed to revoke the licence of the Griffin Inn in Shirley after police highlighted 62 incidents since 2010.

It is the second pub to be closed down in the city in two weeks, after licensing chiefs decided to revoke the licence of The Dorchester last week.

Police had put together a damning dossier of incidents that had been reported at the Anglesea Road watering hole since Mr Cheevers took over in 2010.

It included a report about a fight with baseball bats outside the pub, a number of brawls both inside and outside the pub and staff serving customers after the closing time of 12.30am.

The committee also heard from residents who complained that they had put up with loud noise from people coming out of the pub until 5am on some occasions, and that customers had urinated on their porches.

Police were also concerned that the pub did not have an adequate CCTV system, saying Mr Cheevers had not handed over footage to help officers with investigations, even when he was the victim.

Addressing the hearing, Mr Cheevers said he had arranged a series of measures to improve the pub, which included buying a new CCTV system and naming another member of staff as the designated premises supervisor (DPS).

The landlord, who recently negotiated a five-year lease extension with pub owners Enterprise Inns, also said he has a new incident and refusals log in place, staff had been given more training and was even handing out gobstopper lollipops to “calm down” customers.

But the committee decided to revoke the licence, with chairman Matt Tucker saying the panel had “no confidence that the current premises licence holder can manage what is clearly based on the evidence a very difficult premises.”He continued: “Whilst it is accepted that on occasion examples of good management can be seen, this does not outweigh the evidence in relation to the incidents of concern.”

The pub will remain open for at least the next 21 days.