AN INVESTIGATION is under way into the apparent neglect of an elderly woman who was found seriously ill at her Hampshire home.

The 84-year-old was last night lying in a coma at Southampton General Hospital more than 24 hours after being discovered at her Totton house.

Yesterday her end-of- terrace home in Water Lane was a hive of police activity as forensic experts were seen going inside and officers carried out house-tohouse inquiries in the road.

Concerned neighbours told the Daily Echo that they watched as a pensioner, who has lived there for at least 18 years, was carried into an ambulance on Monday afternoon.

Since then the house, close to the junction of Bishops Close, was been taped off by police investigating how she became so ill.

Throughout the day worried neighbours gathered at their front gates, wondering what had happened.

It is understood the woman is a widower and has an adult son.

Last night, as the cordon around the house was finally taken down, South Central Ambulance Service confirmed that they were called to the address on Monday and took one patient to hospital.

Judith Wright, 69, of Bishops Close, said: “I was in the garden and saw an ambulance and paramedics.

“This is a quiet area with many old people and to see something like this is very rare.”

Rachael Smith, 29, who lives opposite the house, added: “I first saw the commotion after returning home from work on Monday night.

“There were police cars there and at first I thought it must have been a burglary, but they have been there for more than 24 hours which is odd.

“It must be something more serious.”

Another neighbour, Caroline Hudson, added that although the woman had lived in the street for many years, she had kept herself to herself.

She added: “She had previously been in a home for a while because she was poorly, but she returned to live back at home.”

Hampshire police last night confirmed an investigation was under way and said: “An 84-yearold woman was taken to hospital after being found in a very frail state.

“She is currently in a coma in Southampton General Hospital where she is receiving treatment.”

A 53-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of neglect and bailed until July 29.