Heart unit decision delayed again

Daily Echo: Heart unit decision delayed again Heart unit decision delayed again

A DECISION on the future of children’s heart surgery in Southampton has been delayed again – prompting warnings that the confusion will cost lives.

Health chiefs had promised to map out a way forward for culling some of England’s ten child heart units by next month after almost a year of discussions.

Experts agree some centres must close – to ensure surgeons carry out enough operations to develop sufficient expertise – but a previous proposal was thrown out after a judicial review.

That plan would have saved the unit at Southampton General Hospital – which is ranked as one of the best in the country – but axed centres in Leeds, Leicester and London.

It came after the Daily Echo backed Have a Heart collected 250,000 signatures on a petition to save children’s heart surgery in Southampton that was presented at 10 Downing Street.

Now NHS England has revealed it will not even begin a new consultation until the autumn, because the work is so complex.

The delay makes it certain that no decisions will be made before next year’s General Election – despite the original recommendation to axe some centres being made way back in 2001.

A furious John Denham, the Southampton Itchen MP, said: “Medical experts agree that, the longer the delays, the greater the danger that some children’s lives will be lost and other children won’t make the recovery they could. After all the delays and indecision, it’s unforgivable that the Government has not got a grip on this and forced an early conclusion.”

The controversy was raised in the Commons, where health minister Jane Ellison said: “It should be appreciated that this review is more comprehensive than the last one.

“For example, NHS England has developed a comprehensive set of commissioning standards which have never existed before.

“For the first time, the whole patient pathway will be covered, from foetal detection through childhood, into adult services and all the way to palliative care and bereavement.

“It is always frustrating when things do not happen according to schedule, but what really matters is getting this right and being as transparent as possible.”

NHS England will either draw up a new plan to axe some centres, or opt for a new national set of standards which hospitals would then have to meet, or face closure.

Last year, its policy director admitted clinicians had been left “demoralised, frustrated, exhausted and angry” by the continuing uncertainty.

However,NHSEngland has won praise for a more open process, after patient groups complained of being left in the dark in the drawing up of the previous plan.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:06am Sun 15 Jun 14

FoysCornerBoy says...

I'm surprised that this story has surfaced now when the original proposal to review the strategy was made back in January. This was as a direct consequence of political interference by the Secretary of State for Health, Jeremy Hunt MP, and was not prompted by the Judicial Review.

There has been an enormous lobby by people in Leicester and Leeds for a rethink and the minister is anxious to see this booted into the long grass until after the general election.

Interestingly, the new review of specialist services will also be extended to include linkages with specialist adult cardiac surgery.

It is widely accepted by the country's medical experts that Britain's NHS needs to concentrate its specialist acute services onto 15-30 major centres instead of the current hotch potch of provision where these services are distributed across as many as 300. Should the politicians have sufficient courage to implement such as a strategy, it is inconceivable that Southampton would not be one of these major centres. However, there would be implications for other district hospitals in Southampton's catchment area and they would have to change significantly or close.
I'm surprised that this story has surfaced now when the original proposal to review the strategy was made back in January. This was as a direct consequence of political interference by the Secretary of State for Health, Jeremy Hunt MP, and was not prompted by the Judicial Review. There has been an enormous lobby by people in Leicester and Leeds for a rethink and the minister is anxious to see this booted into the long grass until after the general election. Interestingly, the new review of specialist services will also be extended to include linkages with specialist adult cardiac surgery. It is widely accepted by the country's medical experts that Britain's NHS needs to concentrate its specialist acute services onto 15-30 major centres instead of the current hotch potch of provision where these services are distributed across as many as 300. Should the politicians have sufficient courage to implement such as a strategy, it is inconceivable that Southampton would not be one of these major centres. However, there would be implications for other district hospitals in Southampton's catchment area and they would have to change significantly or close. FoysCornerBoy
  • Score: 7

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree