Lymington couple fear being torn apart

Daily Echo: ORDEAL: Kathy and Kevin Rixon ORDEAL: Kathy and Kevin Rixon

“DON’T tear us apart.”

Those are the words from a Hampshire woman who faces the prospect of deportation back to America – because her British husband is unemployed.

Kathy Postelle-Rixon moved from Wisconsin two-and-a-half years ago to begin a life in Lymington with Kevin Rixon after they got married.

But now after 30 months of blissful marriage their life together could be ripped apart by the end of next week because the Home Office has refused to allow her a visa granting her permanent residency.

A letter from the Home Office arrived at their Harvester Way home on Saturday stating that the couple need to prove that they are earning another £300 pounds per month for her to stay here so that she can support herself.

Because Kevin is unemployed he is receiving support, and Kathy knows she can’t be in receipt of benefits. She has ten days to leave or lodge an appeal which Kathy said they will do.

If the piano teacher is deported, she won’t be able to return to the UK for ten years.

The earliest Kathy can apply for British citizenship is October. Until then she fears she may not be able to stay with the man she loves.

If the 53-year-old was to return to America, Kevin would not be likely to gain a visa to stay with her because he is unemployed.

Kathy said she was “heartbroken” at the prospect of being forced to return home.

She said: “I have done nothing but cry for the last two days. He is the love of my life. I don’t know what I’d do without him. We have a life here, we have a dog. We have done nothing wrong.

“I don’t like b e i n g treated t h i s way. People who are terrorists get to stay here.”

While the appeal is lodged she can remain here but she is not certain of how much time she has with the love of her life.

“I don’t know how long that process takes. I don’t know how long I can stay here for,” she said.

The couple met four-and-a-half years ago through friends and after a two year courtship they married in Christchurch before they settled in Lymington. Kathy has had to undergo four operations for a variety of illnesses meaning she has not been able to continue her work as a piano teacher.

Kevin has been out of work since his contract with Magda Seatings, which was contracted to the Ford plant in Swaythling, ran out. He is also due to undergo surgery for kidney stones in the next few weeks.

Kathy is also unable to see her sick father who is in a nursing home because if she leaves the UK she is worried she won’t be able to return.

A spokesman from the Home Office said: “All applications are considered on their individual merits, according to the evidence provided and in line with the immigration rules.

“Applicants must provide evidence to show they meet the requirements of the UK immigration rules, including personal and financial circumstances.”

They added Kathy also failed to supply a Life in the UK test certificate as required.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:53pm Thu 19 Jun 14

derek james says...

sell the house in lymington, move to millbrook , probably at least 100 grand in the bank, at 300 a month would last for 27 years, problem solved
sell the house in lymington, move to millbrook , probably at least 100 grand in the bank, at 300 a month would last for 27 years, problem solved derek james
  • Score: 22

3:17pm Thu 19 Jun 14

shirlski says...

These four operations...free on the NHS by chance? Unlike back home in the good 'ole U.S, there is always more to these stories than meets the eye as the Home Office spokesman alluded to. Rules are there for a reason.
These four operations...free on the NHS by chance? Unlike back home in the good 'ole U.S, there is always more to these stories than meets the eye as the Home Office spokesman alluded to. Rules are there for a reason. shirlski
  • Score: 11

3:26pm Thu 19 Jun 14

acid drop says...

One married woman faces deportation and yet this country lets in loads of eu migrants, what a crazy world we live in
One married woman faces deportation and yet this country lets in loads of eu migrants, what a crazy world we live in acid drop
  • Score: 2

4:04pm Thu 19 Jun 14

massimoosti says...

How about signing up with some agencies...........o
k so will be non union scabby zero hr contracts doing crappy jobs but you can be earning and hey presto problem solved.

Wife, dignity and self respect all retained.

Next
How about signing up with some agencies...........o k so will be non union scabby zero hr contracts doing crappy jobs but you can be earning and hey presto problem solved. Wife, dignity and self respect all retained. Next massimoosti
  • Score: 6

4:05pm Thu 19 Jun 14

rudolph_hucker says...

If you can't earn £300 per month then there is no hope for you
If you can't earn £300 per month then there is no hope for you rudolph_hucker
  • Score: 8

4:21pm Thu 19 Jun 14

minnie64 says...

shirlski wrote:
These four operations...free on the NHS by chance? Unlike back home in the good 'ole U.S, there is always more to these stories than meets the eye as the Home Office spokesman alluded to. Rules are there for a reason.
Exactly my thoughts
[quote][p][bold]shirlski[/bold] wrote: These four operations...free on the NHS by chance? Unlike back home in the good 'ole U.S, there is always more to these stories than meets the eye as the Home Office spokesman alluded to. Rules are there for a reason.[/p][/quote]Exactly my thoughts minnie64
  • Score: 13

4:29pm Thu 19 Jun 14

sotonboy84 says...

acid drop wrote:
One married woman faces deportation and yet this country lets in loads of eu migrants, what a crazy world we live in
Not crazy at all. EU membership allows free travel between EU states. Migrants can come to the UK just as UK citizens can travel to other EU member states.

This woman is from the US, outside of the EU.
[quote][p][bold]acid drop[/bold] wrote: One married woman faces deportation and yet this country lets in loads of eu migrants, what a crazy world we live in[/p][/quote]Not crazy at all. EU membership allows free travel between EU states. Migrants can come to the UK just as UK citizens can travel to other EU member states. This woman is from the US, outside of the EU. sotonboy84
  • Score: 6

5:14pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Dai Rear says...

The US is far more fun to live in than the UK and Kev, you've got another 15 years of work. So hurry up, get a job, go, and enjoy. The equity in your home will buy you a nice place in Wisconsin. What's not to like?
The US is far more fun to live in than the UK and Kev, you've got another 15 years of work. So hurry up, get a job, go, and enjoy. The equity in your home will buy you a nice place in Wisconsin. What's not to like? Dai Rear
  • Score: 5

5:38pm Thu 19 Jun 14

thesouth says...

acid drop wrote:
One married woman faces deportation and yet this country lets in loads of eu migrants, what a crazy world we live in
Take it you don't go abroad in Europe then? Bet you are one of those who expect people to speak English to you even when abroad
[quote][p][bold]acid drop[/bold] wrote: One married woman faces deportation and yet this country lets in loads of eu migrants, what a crazy world we live in[/p][/quote]Take it you don't go abroad in Europe then? Bet you are one of those who expect people to speak English to you even when abroad thesouth
  • Score: 4

6:36pm Thu 19 Jun 14

solomum says...

If this lady gets deported, then I am ashamed to be a UK citizen. We open the gates so that Eastern Europeans can come and live here without previously securing work, many of them, unable to support themselves, yet this lady who has married a UK citizen for the right reasons is being told she cannot stay. Words fail me.
If this lady gets deported, then I am ashamed to be a UK citizen. We open the gates so that Eastern Europeans can come and live here without previously securing work, many of them, unable to support themselves, yet this lady who has married a UK citizen for the right reasons is being told she cannot stay. Words fail me. solomum
  • Score: -2

6:52pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Balsamic says...

rudolph_hucker wrote:
If you can't earn £300 per month then there is no hope for you
Exactly.
McDonald's in ower are recruiting,if your that worried you'd take anything for an income.
[quote][p][bold]rudolph_hucker[/bold] wrote: If you can't earn £300 per month then there is no hope for you[/p][/quote]Exactly. McDonald's in ower are recruiting,if your that worried you'd take anything for an income. Balsamic
  • Score: 10

1:16am Fri 20 Jun 14

revphil says...

I happen to know this lovely couple. They do not own a home. They rent. He has signed up with multiple agencies in search of employment. Kathy has had a horrible medical ordeal. Since when does the UK punish its citizens for being unemployed? Since when does the UK government strip a citizen from his family? I am appalled!
I happen to know this lovely couple. They do not own a home. They rent. He has signed up with multiple agencies in search of employment. Kathy has had a horrible medical ordeal. Since when does the UK punish its citizens for being unemployed? Since when does the UK government strip a citizen from his family? I am appalled! revphil
  • Score: 0

4:48am Fri 20 Jun 14

Dai Rear says...

thesouth wrote:
acid drop wrote:
One married woman faces deportation and yet this country lets in loads of eu migrants, what a crazy world we live in
Take it you don't go abroad in Europe then? Bet you are one of those who expect people to speak English to you even when abroad
Well I go on holiday to Western Europe. I did before Heath sold us out to the vile EU. Will do when it's dead and gone.
I don't go to France and Portugal and Spain to set my children begging or sell the BI and can see no earthly reason why people should come to our country from Roumania and Bulgaria to do that. What exactly is your point?
[quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]acid drop[/bold] wrote: One married woman faces deportation and yet this country lets in loads of eu migrants, what a crazy world we live in[/p][/quote]Take it you don't go abroad in Europe then? Bet you are one of those who expect people to speak English to you even when abroad[/p][/quote]Well I go on holiday to Western Europe. I did before Heath sold us out to the vile EU. Will do when it's dead and gone. I don't go to France and Portugal and Spain to set my children begging or sell the BI and can see no earthly reason why people should come to our country from Roumania and Bulgaria to do that. What exactly is your point? Dai Rear
  • Score: 3

7:05am Fri 20 Jun 14

Woolston ollie says...

Dai Rear wrote:
thesouth wrote:
acid drop wrote: One married woman faces deportation and yet this country lets in loads of eu migrants, what a crazy world we live in
Take it you don't go abroad in Europe then? Bet you are one of those who expect people to speak English to you even when abroad
Well I go on holiday to Western Europe. I did before Heath sold us out to the vile EU. Will do when it's dead and gone. I don't go to France and Portugal and Spain to set my children begging or sell the BI and can see no earthly reason why people should come to our country from Roumania and Bulgaria to do that. What exactly is your point?
No need to go abroad we are doing the grand tour of easten europe at home. Portwoodistan, Shirlensky, then finish of with a mattress & sofa safari in St Marys saved a fortune and can learn a foreign language in any shop we visit.
Would we get one iota of the benefits they get just by setting foot in this country.
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]acid drop[/bold] wrote: One married woman faces deportation and yet this country lets in loads of eu migrants, what a crazy world we live in[/p][/quote]Take it you don't go abroad in Europe then? Bet you are one of those who expect people to speak English to you even when abroad[/p][/quote]Well I go on holiday to Western Europe. I did before Heath sold us out to the vile EU. Will do when it's dead and gone. I don't go to France and Portugal and Spain to set my children begging or sell the BI and can see no earthly reason why people should come to our country from Roumania and Bulgaria to do that. What exactly is your point?[/p][/quote]No need to go abroad we are doing the grand tour of easten europe at home. Portwoodistan, Shirlensky, then finish of with a mattress & sofa safari in St Marys saved a fortune and can learn a foreign language in any shop we visit. Would we get one iota of the benefits they get just by setting foot in this country. Woolston ollie
  • Score: 2

7:51am Fri 20 Jun 14

huckit P says...

A close friend of mine is on visa number 4 and no end in sight. Strange to require so many visas but then consider that they cost over a thousand pounds each and the answer is apparent. Another money-making exercise. Marriage unfortunately counts for nothing to the bureaucrats.
A close friend of mine is on visa number 4 and no end in sight. Strange to require so many visas but then consider that they cost over a thousand pounds each and the answer is apparent. Another money-making exercise. Marriage unfortunately counts for nothing to the bureaucrats. huckit P
  • Score: -1

10:15am Fri 20 Jun 14

Balsamic says...

revphil wrote:
I happen to know this lovely couple. They do not own a home. They rent. He has signed up with multiple agencies in search of employment. Kathy has had a horrible medical ordeal. Since when does the UK punish its citizens for being unemployed? Since when does the UK government strip a citizen from his family? I am appalled!
It's not about punishing people for being unemployed.
It's about helping yourself and getting out there to find work.
If the agencies aren't finding any employment ,then change agencies or better still look knock on a few doors.
Type up a CV and post it out to local businesses .
Companies are starting to employ again now so it's an ideal time to look.
Based in Lymington ,there must be seasonal work down there due to it being where it is attracting tourism.
[quote][p][bold]revphil[/bold] wrote: I happen to know this lovely couple. They do not own a home. They rent. He has signed up with multiple agencies in search of employment. Kathy has had a horrible medical ordeal. Since when does the UK punish its citizens for being unemployed? Since when does the UK government strip a citizen from his family? I am appalled![/p][/quote]It's not about punishing people for being unemployed. It's about helping yourself and getting out there to find work. If the agencies aren't finding any employment ,then change agencies or better still look knock on a few doors. Type up a CV and post it out to local businesses . Companies are starting to employ again now so it's an ideal time to look. Based in Lymington ,there must be seasonal work down there due to it being where it is attracting tourism. Balsamic
  • Score: 6

11:35am Fri 20 Jun 14

revphil says...

http://www.jcwi.org.
uk/blog/2013/09/06/l
ies-prop-family-immi
gration-rules
http://www.jcwi.org. uk/blog/2013/09/06/l ies-prop-family-immi gration-rules revphil
  • Score: 0

11:53am Fri 20 Jun 14

From the sidelines says...

It is a shame this lady did not fall for a Brit in secure employment. Even one who could have afforded the health insurance necessary to avoid the stigma of her being a parasite on our NHS.

Play your sob story state-side, and see how keen Uncle Sam is to keep you in the manner to which you'd like to become accustomed.
It is a shame this lady did not fall for a Brit in secure employment. Even one who could have afforded the health insurance necessary to avoid the stigma of her being a parasite on our NHS. Play your sob story state-side, and see how keen Uncle Sam is to keep you in the manner to which you'd like to become accustomed. From the sidelines
  • Score: 0

5:38pm Fri 20 Jun 14

djbon87 says...

Sadly the rules apply to everybody... no matter how unfair they may be.
Sadly the rules apply to everybody... no matter how unfair they may be. djbon87
  • Score: 3

5:40pm Fri 20 Jun 14

djbon87 says...

They would have been informed of the rules specifically the fact they have to earn at leat £18600 per year jointly, which isn't a lot of money for a couple!
They would have been informed of the rules specifically the fact they have to earn at leat £18600 per year jointly, which isn't a lot of money for a couple! djbon87
  • Score: 5

5:54pm Fri 20 Jun 14

bucktoom says...

djbon87 wrote:
They would have been informed of the rules specifically the fact they have to earn at leat £18600 per year jointly, which isn't a lot of money for a couple!
Well exactly!
It's unfortunate I agree but this situation is hardly unique to this couple...... It appears that being "American" has a bearing on peoples views on the immigration rules.
[quote][p][bold]djbon87[/bold] wrote: They would have been informed of the rules specifically the fact they have to earn at leat £18600 per year jointly, which isn't a lot of money for a couple![/p][/quote]Well exactly! It's unfortunate I agree but this situation is hardly unique to this couple...... It appears that being "American" has a bearing on peoples views on the immigration rules. bucktoom
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree