Watson top target to become Saints goalkeeping coach

Dave Watson has worked with Joe Hart

Dave Watson has worked with Joe Hart

First published in Sport Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Writer

Dave Watson has emerged as Saints’ number one contender to be the club’s new goalkeeping coach.

The highly regarded former Barnsley stopper has been identified by the club as the perfect replacement for Toni Jimenez, who left for Tottenham along with Mauricio Pochettino.

If Watson’s appointment is confirmed, he is also sure to have a significant impact on the choice of the new goalkeeper Ronald Koeman is expected to bring in. The new Saints boss has made a new keeper one of his top priorities in the transfer market this summer.

The 40-year-old Watson has plenty of experience as a goalkeeping coach having had two spells with Northampton and stints with Oldham, Huddersfield, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham and Norwich, from where he is expected to join Saints.

He has also worked extensively with the England squad and has been praised for helping the likes of Joe Hart, Ben Foster and Jack Butland.

Koeman brought in two members of staff with him – his brother Erwin and Jan Kluitenberg – and is understood to have given his seal of approval to the appointment of Watson and Sammy Lee.

Saints will boast a coaching staff buoyed by former FA employees.

Executive director Les Reed, the FA’s former technical director, will have overseen the arrivals of Martin Hunter, Lee and Watson as Saints strengthen their back room numbers ahead of the new campaign.

Comments (42)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:53pm Sun 29 Jun 14

fritzer says...

What's wrong with Kelvin Davis for that job, thought he would be the best man for it.
What's wrong with Kelvin Davis for that job, thought he would be the best man for it. fritzer
  • Score: 18

10:06pm Sun 29 Jun 14

brighton saint says...

Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS brighton saint
  • Score: 75

10:20pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Costa Baz says...

Don't know too much about him, but seems to have good credentials, so welcome aboard, the new project.
Don't know too much about him, but seems to have good credentials, so welcome aboard, the new project. Costa Baz
  • Score: 19

10:26pm Sun 29 Jun 14

noodlesnewman says...

brighton saint wrote:
Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
lets hope high calibre players start flooding in now ! in desperate need of some good positive news on arrivals rather than departures . COYR . if anyone can attract players its koeman just imagine if we would of got steve mac or moyes or even sherwood ! ummm ....
[quote][p][bold]brighton saint[/bold] wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS[/p][/quote]lets hope high calibre players start flooding in now ! in desperate need of some good positive news on arrivals rather than departures . COYR . if anyone can attract players its koeman just imagine if we would of got steve mac or moyes or even sherwood ! ummm .... noodlesnewman
  • Score: 5

11:16pm Sun 29 Jun 14

fred the red says...

fritzer wrote:
What's wrong with Kelvin Davis for that job, thought he would be the best man for it.
No way...he never improved himself, let alone any other keeper
[quote][p][bold]fritzer[/bold] wrote: What's wrong with Kelvin Davis for that job, thought he would be the best man for it.[/p][/quote]No way...he never improved himself, let alone any other keeper fred the red
  • Score: -12

11:20pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Shareholder says...

Let's hope we get some players in to coach!
Let's hope we get some players in to coach! Shareholder
  • Score: 0

11:23pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...

Forster would be good. Could be an excellent signing and sell Gazza on.
Forster would be good. Could be an excellent signing and sell Gazza on. Seedhouse the Unrepentant
  • Score: 12

11:25pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Rudolf Hucker says...

Crikey, and there was me thinking Dave Watson was a central defender who played for Saints. Perhaps thats our new playing formation for next season/ 0-7-3....better than Liverpools 4-4-tooth
Crikey, and there was me thinking Dave Watson was a central defender who played for Saints. Perhaps thats our new playing formation for next season/ 0-7-3....better than Liverpools 4-4-tooth Rudolf Hucker
  • Score: 14

11:26pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Saintsincethe60s says...

Clear out the players and staff that were only loyal to Cortese and Pochetino, and replace them with loyal ones that will take us forward and be loyal to the Saints,. If your heart is not set on being a Saint then just jog on thanks for what you have done and hope you have no further success in your career. Bitter - no not me ;-)
Clear out the players and staff that were only loyal to Cortese and Pochetino, and replace them with loyal ones that will take us forward and be loyal to the Saints,. If your heart is not set on being a Saint then just jog on thanks for what you have done and hope you have no further success in your career. Bitter - no not me ;-) Saintsincethe60s
  • Score: 21

11:31pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Rudolf Hucker says...

Marshal from Cardiff would be an excellent signing imo.
Marshal from Cardiff would be an excellent signing imo. Rudolf Hucker
  • Score: 24

12:07am Mon 30 Jun 14

durhamsaint87 says...

Rudolf Hucker wrote:
Crikey, and there was me thinking Dave Watson was a central defender who played for Saints. Perhaps thats our new playing formation for next season/ 0-7-3....better than Liverpools 4-4-tooth
Tooth won't be playing!
[quote][p][bold]Rudolf Hucker[/bold] wrote: Crikey, and there was me thinking Dave Watson was a central defender who played for Saints. Perhaps thats our new playing formation for next season/ 0-7-3....better than Liverpools 4-4-tooth[/p][/quote]Tooth won't be playing! durhamsaint87
  • Score: 6

12:46am Mon 30 Jun 14

isolated saint says...

Why did we not try to get Niemi as well as Lee from Brighton, that would have had the seagull poo flying. One of us and proven hero.
Why did we not try to get Niemi as well as Lee from Brighton, that would have had the seagull poo flying. One of us and proven hero. isolated saint
  • Score: 10

1:58am Mon 30 Jun 14

Georgethepie says...

Praised for helping joe Hart thats not something to shout about.
The guys rubbish I thought he had been coached by the clowns in the traveling circus but only once they realised he couldn't juggle.
Praised for helping joe Hart thats not something to shout about. The guys rubbish I thought he had been coached by the clowns in the traveling circus but only once they realised he couldn't juggle. Georgethepie
  • Score: -5

2:06am Mon 30 Jun 14

BowesSaint says...

brighton saint wrote:
Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.
[quote][p][bold]brighton saint[/bold] wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS[/p][/quote]Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake. BowesSaint
  • Score: 21

4:03am Mon 30 Jun 14

The Rise of The Foot Soldier. says...

SAINTS have showm AMBITION with their APPOINTMENTS - although there seems always to be a time lag at the Club before things do happen.

SFC have an opportunity to :

REDUCE ALL DEBT
PAY OFF STAPLEWOOD FOR YOUTH DEVELOPMENT FACILITIES

START THE AMBITIOUS PROJECT OF BUILDING AT ST MARYS and BUYING AT LAND AROUND ST MARYS.

NEWS OF TOP PLAYERS ENTERING THE CLUB THE FOCUS AND THE PRIORITY.

ADDITIONAL NUMBER 1 KEEPER - TOP STRIKER - PROLIFIC COVER FOR TOP STRIKER ... NEEDED FOR PRE-TRAINING ...

GOALSCORING MIDFIELD - LEFT BACK - CB COVER - PACY WINGER
REQUIRED TO JOIN CLUB.

NO GOALS LEFT IN CURRENT TEAM. COYR
SAINTS have showm AMBITION with their APPOINTMENTS - although there seems always to be a time lag at the Club before things do happen. SFC have an opportunity to : REDUCE ALL DEBT PAY OFF STAPLEWOOD FOR YOUTH DEVELOPMENT FACILITIES START THE AMBITIOUS PROJECT OF BUILDING AT ST MARYS and BUYING AT LAND AROUND ST MARYS. NEWS OF TOP PLAYERS ENTERING THE CLUB THE FOCUS AND THE PRIORITY. ADDITIONAL NUMBER 1 KEEPER - TOP STRIKER - PROLIFIC COVER FOR TOP STRIKER ... NEEDED FOR PRE-TRAINING ... GOALSCORING MIDFIELD - LEFT BACK - CB COVER - PACY WINGER REQUIRED TO JOIN CLUB. NO GOALS LEFT IN CURRENT TEAM. COYR The Rise of The Foot Soldier.
  • Score: 9

5:21am Mon 30 Jun 14

Rising_Son says...

Georgethepie wrote:
Praised for helping joe Hart thats not something to shout about.
The guys rubbish I thought he had been coached by the clowns in the traveling circus but only once they realised he couldn't juggle.
Just imagine what he would have been like without the coaching, though. He's been greatly improved by it.
[quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: Praised for helping joe Hart thats not something to shout about. The guys rubbish I thought he had been coached by the clowns in the traveling circus but only once they realised he couldn't juggle.[/p][/quote]Just imagine what he would have been like without the coaching, though. He's been greatly improved by it. Rising_Son
  • Score: 4

5:55am Mon 30 Jun 14

The Rise of The Foot Soldier. says...

SEED ...

THere are obvious signs of personw working behind the Scenes including LES REED.

WHAT has happened to RK and the Development of Commercial Interests ....

Otherwise he is here on an EMPTY TICKET. COYR
SEED ... THere are obvious signs of personw working behind the Scenes including LES REED. WHAT has happened to RK and the Development of Commercial Interests .... Otherwise he is here on an EMPTY TICKET. COYR The Rise of The Foot Soldier.
  • Score: 3

6:06am Mon 30 Jun 14

Southampton boy says...

Looking good for me let's hope we soon see some players, I have hard that we are about sign the Pilla not sure of spilling scored something like 50 goals in 54 games sounds good to me if this is right, how many weeks before new season?
Looking good for me let's hope we soon see some players, I have hard that we are about sign the Pilla not sure of spilling scored something like 50 goals in 54 games sounds good to me if this is right, how many weeks before new season? Southampton boy
  • Score: 3

6:26am Mon 30 Jun 14

NC Fan4Life says...

Sounds like a good appointment again.
Just maybe the Board do have a good plan. Certainly building the staff to take us forward.

They are balancing the books to pay off the debt of £30m for Staplewood and the transfer defecate of £22m due this summer and £5m next,
TOTAL £57m, with sale of Luke £30m, Adam £25m & fringe players £2m, TOTAL £57m.

RonKo will have about £30m from current TV revenue etc plus Approx £10m from sale of Osvaldo and any other players he decides to sale.
Probably expect us to spend about £50m plus any fee for Lovren and Gaston if they are set to go.

Buy two of the Dutch CB's from Feyenoord; the french LB from Lyon; a top GK; pacy good crossing winger; creative goalscoring midfielder; and at least one top quality striker. Total cost about £65m.

Then next season when a couple more of our young players have established themselves they will sell a couple more to pay for the ground extension and academy building.

After that we will have additional revenue from increased capacity at St Mary's and improved marketing so will only need to sell when we have replacements coming through from the academy and buy for positions where we haven't.

The club will then financially stable, with no debt and have developed in readiness to be able to push on to be a top six club in 2 or 3 seasons time, playing Champions League in 4 or 5 years.

Thinking of it this way has made me more optimistic again, but can anyone confirm my analysis OR tell me what the next 3 or 5 year plan is so we can make sense of the board's current actions.

Maybe we are still moving forward ! From the tide going out we have been riding the crest of a wave over the last 5 years so hopefully we are just gathering in readiness to ride the next wave !! COYS
Sounds like a good appointment again. Just maybe the Board do have a good plan. Certainly building the staff to take us forward. They are balancing the books to pay off the debt of £30m for Staplewood and the transfer defecate of £22m due this summer and £5m next, TOTAL £57m, with sale of Luke £30m, Adam £25m & fringe players £2m, TOTAL £57m. RonKo will have about £30m from current TV revenue etc plus Approx £10m from sale of Osvaldo and any other players he decides to sale. Probably expect us to spend about £50m plus any fee for Lovren and Gaston if they are set to go. Buy two of the Dutch CB's from Feyenoord; the french LB from Lyon; a top GK; pacy good crossing winger; creative goalscoring midfielder; and at least one top quality striker. Total cost about £65m. Then next season when a couple more of our young players have established themselves they will sell a couple more to pay for the ground extension and academy building. After that we will have additional revenue from increased capacity at St Mary's and improved marketing so will only need to sell when we have replacements coming through from the academy and buy for positions where we haven't. The club will then financially stable, with no debt and have developed in readiness to be able to push on to be a top six club in 2 or 3 seasons time, playing Champions League in 4 or 5 years. Thinking of it this way has made me more optimistic again, but can anyone confirm my analysis OR tell me what the next 3 or 5 year plan is so we can make sense of the board's current actions. Maybe we are still moving forward ! From the tide going out we have been riding the crest of a wave over the last 5 years so hopefully we are just gathering in readiness to ride the next wave !! COYS NC Fan4Life
  • Score: 6

6:34am Mon 30 Jun 14

The Rise of The Foot Soldier. says...

NC Fan4Life wrote:
Sounds like a good appointment again. Just maybe the Board do have a good plan. Certainly building the staff to take us forward. They are balancing the books to pay off the debt of £30m for Staplewood and the transfer defecate of £22m due this summer and £5m next, TOTAL £57m, with sale of Luke £30m, Adam £25m & fringe players £2m, TOTAL £57m. RonKo will have about £30m from current TV revenue etc plus Approx £10m from sale of Osvaldo and any other players he decides to sale. Probably expect us to spend about £50m plus any fee for Lovren and Gaston if they are set to go. Buy two of the Dutch CB's from Feyenoord; the french LB from Lyon; a top GK; pacy good crossing winger; creative goalscoring midfielder; and at least one top quality striker. Total cost about £65m. Then next season when a couple more of our young players have established themselves they will sell a couple more to pay for the ground extension and academy building. After that we will have additional revenue from increased capacity at St Mary's and improved marketing so will only need to sell when we have replacements coming through from the academy and buy for positions where we haven't. The club will then financially stable, with no debt and have developed in readiness to be able to push on to be a top six club in 2 or 3 seasons time, playing Champions League in 4 or 5 years. Thinking of it this way has made me more optimistic again, but can anyone confirm my analysis OR tell me what the next 3 or 5 year plan is so we can make sense of the board's current actions. Maybe we are still moving forward ! From the tide going out we have been riding the crest of a wave over the last 5 years so hopefully we are just gathering in readiness to ride the next wave !! COYS
THAT IS THE VISION.

THAT IS THE 5 YEAR PLAN

TAKE NOTE ECHO - THE CHAIRMAN - AND THE BOARD AT SFC
[quote][p][bold]NC Fan4Life[/bold] wrote: Sounds like a good appointment again. Just maybe the Board do have a good plan. Certainly building the staff to take us forward. They are balancing the books to pay off the debt of £30m for Staplewood and the transfer defecate of £22m due this summer and £5m next, TOTAL £57m, with sale of Luke £30m, Adam £25m & fringe players £2m, TOTAL £57m. RonKo will have about £30m from current TV revenue etc plus Approx £10m from sale of Osvaldo and any other players he decides to sale. Probably expect us to spend about £50m plus any fee for Lovren and Gaston if they are set to go. Buy two of the Dutch CB's from Feyenoord; the french LB from Lyon; a top GK; pacy good crossing winger; creative goalscoring midfielder; and at least one top quality striker. Total cost about £65m. Then next season when a couple more of our young players have established themselves they will sell a couple more to pay for the ground extension and academy building. After that we will have additional revenue from increased capacity at St Mary's and improved marketing so will only need to sell when we have replacements coming through from the academy and buy for positions where we haven't. The club will then financially stable, with no debt and have developed in readiness to be able to push on to be a top six club in 2 or 3 seasons time, playing Champions League in 4 or 5 years. Thinking of it this way has made me more optimistic again, but can anyone confirm my analysis OR tell me what the next 3 or 5 year plan is so we can make sense of the board's current actions. Maybe we are still moving forward ! From the tide going out we have been riding the crest of a wave over the last 5 years so hopefully we are just gathering in readiness to ride the next wave !! COYS[/p][/quote]THAT IS THE VISION. THAT IS THE 5 YEAR PLAN TAKE NOTE ECHO - THE CHAIRMAN - AND THE BOARD AT SFC The Rise of The Foot Soldier.
  • Score: 2

6:58am Mon 30 Jun 14

SodburySaint93 says...

The Rise of The Foot Soldier. wrote:
NC Fan4Life wrote:
Sounds like a good appointment again. Just maybe the Board do have a good plan. Certainly building the staff to take us forward. They are balancing the books to pay off the debt of £30m for Staplewood and the transfer defecate of £22m due this summer and £5m next, TOTAL £57m, with sale of Luke £30m, Adam £25m & fringe players £2m, TOTAL £57m. RonKo will have about £30m from current TV revenue etc plus Approx £10m from sale of Osvaldo and any other players he decides to sale. Probably expect us to spend about £50m plus any fee for Lovren and Gaston if they are set to go. Buy two of the Dutch CB's from Feyenoord; the french LB from Lyon; a top GK; pacy good crossing winger; creative goalscoring midfielder; and at least one top quality striker. Total cost about £65m. Then next season when a couple more of our young players have established themselves they will sell a couple more to pay for the ground extension and academy building. After that we will have additional revenue from increased capacity at St Mary's and improved marketing so will only need to sell when we have replacements coming through from the academy and buy for positions where we haven't. The club will then financially stable, with no debt and have developed in readiness to be able to push on to be a top six club in 2 or 3 seasons time, playing Champions League in 4 or 5 years. Thinking of it this way has made me more optimistic again, but can anyone confirm my analysis OR tell me what the next 3 or 5 year plan is so we can make sense of the board's current actions. Maybe we are still moving forward ! From the tide going out we have been riding the crest of a wave over the last 5 years so hopefully we are just gathering in readiness to ride the next wave !! COYS
THAT IS THE VISION.

THAT IS THE 5 YEAR PLAN

TAKE NOTE ECHO - THE CHAIRMAN - AND THE BOARD AT SFC
Analysis is spot on - let's hope it comes to fruition
[quote][p][bold]The Rise of The Foot Soldier.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NC Fan4Life[/bold] wrote: Sounds like a good appointment again. Just maybe the Board do have a good plan. Certainly building the staff to take us forward. They are balancing the books to pay off the debt of £30m for Staplewood and the transfer defecate of £22m due this summer and £5m next, TOTAL £57m, with sale of Luke £30m, Adam £25m & fringe players £2m, TOTAL £57m. RonKo will have about £30m from current TV revenue etc plus Approx £10m from sale of Osvaldo and any other players he decides to sale. Probably expect us to spend about £50m plus any fee for Lovren and Gaston if they are set to go. Buy two of the Dutch CB's from Feyenoord; the french LB from Lyon; a top GK; pacy good crossing winger; creative goalscoring midfielder; and at least one top quality striker. Total cost about £65m. Then next season when a couple more of our young players have established themselves they will sell a couple more to pay for the ground extension and academy building. After that we will have additional revenue from increased capacity at St Mary's and improved marketing so will only need to sell when we have replacements coming through from the academy and buy for positions where we haven't. The club will then financially stable, with no debt and have developed in readiness to be able to push on to be a top six club in 2 or 3 seasons time, playing Champions League in 4 or 5 years. Thinking of it this way has made me more optimistic again, but can anyone confirm my analysis OR tell me what the next 3 or 5 year plan is so we can make sense of the board's current actions. Maybe we are still moving forward ! From the tide going out we have been riding the crest of a wave over the last 5 years so hopefully we are just gathering in readiness to ride the next wave !! COYS[/p][/quote]THAT IS THE VISION. THAT IS THE 5 YEAR PLAN TAKE NOTE ECHO - THE CHAIRMAN - AND THE BOARD AT SFC[/p][/quote]Analysis is spot on - let's hope it comes to fruition SodburySaint93
  • Score: 3

7:21am Mon 30 Jun 14

jls217 says...

fritzer wrote:
What's wrong with Kelvin Davis for that job, thought he would be the best man for it.
Maybe he hasn't got his coaching credentials, maybe he has no experience, maybe he doesn't want it, maybe he's crap at it. Let's see if you can think of a few more reasons he might not be offered the job.

Maybe because there is a top class coach, who has trained the best keepers in the country including Ruddy and he just might be able to convince Ruddy to come here........ just saying.........
[quote][p][bold]fritzer[/bold] wrote: What's wrong with Kelvin Davis for that job, thought he would be the best man for it.[/p][/quote]Maybe he hasn't got his coaching credentials, maybe he has no experience, maybe he doesn't want it, maybe he's crap at it. Let's see if you can think of a few more reasons he might not be offered the job. Maybe because there is a top class coach, who has trained the best keepers in the country including Ruddy and he just might be able to convince Ruddy to come here........ just saying......... jls217
  • Score: 2

7:25am Mon 30 Jun 14

jls217 says...

brighton saint wrote:
Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
Agree entirely mate. The foundations are being laid one by one to ensure a good long-term future for Saints. You can Les Reeds years of experience using his contacts with the FA to bring in these names.

If the rumours are true and Tadic is coming we will never miss Lallana.

Give this lot a season to bed in and the future really is bright for Saints.
[quote][p][bold]brighton saint[/bold] wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS[/p][/quote]Agree entirely mate. The foundations are being laid one by one to ensure a good long-term future for Saints. You can Les Reeds years of experience using his contacts with the FA to bring in these names. If the rumours are true and Tadic is coming we will never miss Lallana. Give this lot a season to bed in and the future really is bright for Saints. jls217
  • Score: 5

7:27am Mon 30 Jun 14

jls217 says...

Georgethepie wrote:
Praised for helping joe Hart thats not something to shout about.
The guys rubbish I thought he had been coached by the clowns in the traveling circus but only once they realised he couldn't juggle.
In your opinion?

I doubt you'd be taking that view if we had him between our sticks. Oh! and btw - you're wrong IMHO!
[quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: Praised for helping joe Hart thats not something to shout about. The guys rubbish I thought he had been coached by the clowns in the traveling circus but only once they realised he couldn't juggle.[/p][/quote]In your opinion? I doubt you'd be taking that view if we had him between our sticks. Oh! and btw - you're wrong IMHO! jls217
  • Score: 3

8:32am Mon 30 Jun 14

BarnetSaint says...

BowesSaint wrote:
brighton saint wrote:
Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.
Great points.
I live in North London too and my son brought up a proud Saint.
We're far too quick to accept that we can't have any ambition.
Imagine if we had an owner who was willing to invest and more importantly ensure existing players were on contracts on par with our bigger rivals.
If we'd kept the great payers we 'ev lost/are losing, we would have silverware and success ourselves.
[quote][p][bold]BowesSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton saint[/bold] wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS[/p][/quote]Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.[/p][/quote]Great points. I live in North London too and my son brought up a proud Saint. We're far too quick to accept that we can't have any ambition. Imagine if we had an owner who was willing to invest and more importantly ensure existing players were on contracts on par with our bigger rivals. If we'd kept the great payers we 'ev lost/are losing, we would have silverware and success ourselves. BarnetSaint
  • Score: 2

8:33am Mon 30 Jun 14

Strasbourg Saint says...

fred the red wrote:
fritzer wrote:
What's wrong with Kelvin Davis for that job, thought he would be the best man for it.
No way...he never improved himself, let alone any other keeper
My heart said, 'give Kelv the job', but I think he'd be better employed doing something else behind the scenes such as mentoring the youth and helping them keep their feet on the ground.

This seems like a good appointment and one that has clearly been given some thought over recent weeks.

As for the pic of Joe Hart, is he saying, 'THIS is how close I got to stopping hungry Luis from beating me'.
[quote][p][bold]fred the red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fritzer[/bold] wrote: What's wrong with Kelvin Davis for that job, thought he would be the best man for it.[/p][/quote]No way...he never improved himself, let alone any other keeper[/p][/quote]My heart said, 'give Kelv the job', but I think he'd be better employed doing something else behind the scenes such as mentoring the youth and helping them keep their feet on the ground. This seems like a good appointment and one that has clearly been given some thought over recent weeks. As for the pic of Joe Hart, is he saying, 'THIS is how close I got to stopping hungry Luis from beating me'. Strasbourg Saint
  • Score: 0

9:19am Mon 30 Jun 14

Clever Dick says...

jls217 wrote:
brighton saint wrote:
Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
Agree entirely mate. The foundations are being laid one by one to ensure a good long-term future for Saints. You can Les Reeds years of experience using his contacts with the FA to bring in these names.

If the rumours are true and Tadic is coming we will never miss Lallana.

Give this lot a season to bed in and the future really is bright for Saints.
There's far too much positivity around today. Where are all the doom mongers, conspiracy theorists, asset stripping theorists, etc etc. Probably waiting for another player departure so they can have another insult throwing session while talking out of their a$$es. I'm with you two.
[quote][p][bold]jls217[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton saint[/bold] wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS[/p][/quote]Agree entirely mate. The foundations are being laid one by one to ensure a good long-term future for Saints. You can Les Reeds years of experience using his contacts with the FA to bring in these names. If the rumours are true and Tadic is coming we will never miss Lallana. Give this lot a season to bed in and the future really is bright for Saints.[/p][/quote]There's far too much positivity around today. Where are all the doom mongers, conspiracy theorists, asset stripping theorists, etc etc. Probably waiting for another player departure so they can have another insult throwing session while talking out of their a$$es. I'm with you two. Clever Dick
  • Score: 0

9:39am Mon 30 Jun 14

SouthamptonLegend says...

Maybe this will open the door for John Ruddy?? He's a solid 'keeper.

I think any of the top English 'keepers will do tbh! Ruddy, Forster, Buckland, Foster, I'd welcome any of them to St. Mary's.
Maybe this will open the door for John Ruddy?? He's a solid 'keeper. I think any of the top English 'keepers will do tbh! Ruddy, Forster, Buckland, Foster, I'd welcome any of them to St. Mary's. SouthamptonLegend
  • Score: 1

9:40am Mon 30 Jun 14

allsaintsnocurves says...

Interesting to see what coaches Saints get in for the Academy side! Saints at least showing they are scouting for top coaches at the club and this is important for the development of the players we have at the club.
Interesting to see what coaches Saints get in for the Academy side! Saints at least showing they are scouting for top coaches at the club and this is important for the development of the players we have at the club. allsaintsnocurves
  • Score: 0

9:46am Mon 30 Jun 14

Rising_Son says...

allsaintsnocurves wrote:
Interesting to see what coaches Saints get in for the Academy side! Saints at least showing they are scouting for top coaches at the club and this is important for the development of the players we have at the club.
Isn't that Sammy Lee?
[quote][p][bold]allsaintsnocurves[/bold] wrote: Interesting to see what coaches Saints get in for the Academy side! Saints at least showing they are scouting for top coaches at the club and this is important for the development of the players we have at the club.[/p][/quote]Isn't that Sammy Lee? Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

9:48am Mon 30 Jun 14

elvis says...

How is this not a good appointment ?? Looks to me like we're building for the future ....SRL will always be a hero , Twenty seven & a half million plus for Shaw is a ridiculous amount of money & if Lala wants to go then so be it ,Hopefully Ronald McDonald will spend his efforts trying to persuade Corky,JRod & Spider to stay ..... as for the quality of players he's looking to bring in .... they look superb . There's also talk of the 2 Feyenord cbs .... as far as I'm concerned if Pooch & his half baked Spuds want too buy the rest of our squad so be it ..... call me a happy clapper but I think we'll be a better side next season & far less of a one trick pony . Here's looking forward to beating Spuds you don't like home & away & finishing above them in the league .x
How is this not a good appointment ?? Looks to me like we're building for the future ....SRL will always be a hero , Twenty seven & a half million plus for Shaw is a ridiculous amount of money & if Lala wants to go then so be it ,Hopefully Ronald McDonald will spend his efforts trying to persuade Corky,JRod & Spider to stay ..... as for the quality of players he's looking to bring in .... they look superb . There's also talk of the 2 Feyenord cbs .... as far as I'm concerned if Pooch & his half baked Spuds want too buy the rest of our squad so be it ..... call me a happy clapper but I think we'll be a better side next season & far less of a one trick pony . Here's looking forward to beating Spuds you don't like home & away & finishing above them in the league .x elvis
  • Score: 2

10:31am Mon 30 Jun 14

lowe esteem says...

BarnetSaint wrote:
BowesSaint wrote:
brighton saint wrote:
Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.
Great points.
I live in North London too and my son brought up a proud Saint.
We're far too quick to accept that we can't have any ambition.
Imagine if we had an owner who was willing to invest and more importantly ensure existing players were on contracts on par with our bigger rivals.
If we'd kept the great payers we 'ev lost/are losing, we would have silverware and success ourselves.
The usual reaction from North London, chuck money at it, already!!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]BarnetSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BowesSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton saint[/bold] wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS[/p][/quote]Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.[/p][/quote]Great points. I live in North London too and my son brought up a proud Saint. We're far too quick to accept that we can't have any ambition. Imagine if we had an owner who was willing to invest and more importantly ensure existing players were on contracts on par with our bigger rivals. If we'd kept the great payers we 'ev lost/are losing, we would have silverware and success ourselves.[/p][/quote]The usual reaction from North London, chuck money at it, already!!!!!! lowe esteem
  • Score: 0

10:33am Mon 30 Jun 14

Santa65 says...

NC Fan4Life wrote:
Sounds like a good appointment again.
Just maybe the Board do have a good plan. Certainly building the staff to take us forward.

They are balancing the books to pay off the debt of £30m for Staplewood and the transfer defecate of £22m due this summer and £5m next,
TOTAL £57m, with sale of Luke £30m, Adam £25m & fringe players £2m, TOTAL £57m.

RonKo will have about £30m from current TV revenue etc plus Approx £10m from sale of Osvaldo and any other players he decides to sale.
Probably expect us to spend about £50m plus any fee for Lovren and Gaston if they are set to go.

Buy two of the Dutch CB's from Feyenoord; the french LB from Lyon; a top GK; pacy good crossing winger; creative goalscoring midfielder; and at least one top quality striker. Total cost about £65m.

Then next season when a couple more of our young players have established themselves they will sell a couple more to pay for the ground extension and academy building.

After that we will have additional revenue from increased capacity at St Mary's and improved marketing so will only need to sell when we have replacements coming through from the academy and buy for positions where we haven't.

The club will then financially stable, with no debt and have developed in readiness to be able to push on to be a top six club in 2 or 3 seasons time, playing Champions League in 4 or 5 years.

Thinking of it this way has made me more optimistic again, but can anyone confirm my analysis OR tell me what the next 3 or 5 year plan is so we can make sense of the board's current actions.

Maybe we are still moving forward ! From the tide going out we have been riding the crest of a wave over the last 5 years so hopefully we are just gathering in readiness to ride the next wave !! COYS
Unfortunately the Lyon LB seems to have signed for West Ham today according to news reports.

Worse than that, Spider's remarks over the weekend, allied to reported interest from Napoli, Spurs and Arsenal, make me think he'll be off next.

RK has a major rebuild on his hands. It was inevitable that the squad of the last two seasons would fragment at some point. I didn't expect it to collapse quite so dramatically though!

COYR Onwards and upwards. Pre-season starts tomorrow!
[quote][p][bold]NC Fan4Life[/bold] wrote: Sounds like a good appointment again. Just maybe the Board do have a good plan. Certainly building the staff to take us forward. They are balancing the books to pay off the debt of £30m for Staplewood and the transfer defecate of £22m due this summer and £5m next, TOTAL £57m, with sale of Luke £30m, Adam £25m & fringe players £2m, TOTAL £57m. RonKo will have about £30m from current TV revenue etc plus Approx £10m from sale of Osvaldo and any other players he decides to sale. Probably expect us to spend about £50m plus any fee for Lovren and Gaston if they are set to go. Buy two of the Dutch CB's from Feyenoord; the french LB from Lyon; a top GK; pacy good crossing winger; creative goalscoring midfielder; and at least one top quality striker. Total cost about £65m. Then next season when a couple more of our young players have established themselves they will sell a couple more to pay for the ground extension and academy building. After that we will have additional revenue from increased capacity at St Mary's and improved marketing so will only need to sell when we have replacements coming through from the academy and buy for positions where we haven't. The club will then financially stable, with no debt and have developed in readiness to be able to push on to be a top six club in 2 or 3 seasons time, playing Champions League in 4 or 5 years. Thinking of it this way has made me more optimistic again, but can anyone confirm my analysis OR tell me what the next 3 or 5 year plan is so we can make sense of the board's current actions. Maybe we are still moving forward ! From the tide going out we have been riding the crest of a wave over the last 5 years so hopefully we are just gathering in readiness to ride the next wave !! COYS[/p][/quote]Unfortunately the Lyon LB seems to have signed for West Ham today according to news reports. Worse than that, Spider's remarks over the weekend, allied to reported interest from Napoli, Spurs and Arsenal, make me think he'll be off next. RK has a major rebuild on his hands. It was inevitable that the squad of the last two seasons would fragment at some point. I didn't expect it to collapse quite so dramatically though! COYR Onwards and upwards. Pre-season starts tomorrow! Santa65
  • Score: 0

10:39am Mon 30 Jun 14

Santa65 says...

NC Fan4Life wrote:
Sounds like a good appointment again.
Just maybe the Board do have a good plan. Certainly building the staff to take us forward.

They are balancing the books to pay off the debt of £30m for Staplewood and the transfer defecate of £22m due this summer and £5m next,
TOTAL £57m, with sale of Luke £30m, Adam £25m & fringe players £2m, TOTAL £57m.

RonKo will have about £30m from current TV revenue etc plus Approx £10m from sale of Osvaldo and any other players he decides to sale.
Probably expect us to spend about £50m plus any fee for Lovren and Gaston if they are set to go.

Buy two of the Dutch CB's from Feyenoord; the french LB from Lyon; a top GK; pacy good crossing winger; creative goalscoring midfielder; and at least one top quality striker. Total cost about £65m.

Then next season when a couple more of our young players have established themselves they will sell a couple more to pay for the ground extension and academy building.

After that we will have additional revenue from increased capacity at St Mary's and improved marketing so will only need to sell when we have replacements coming through from the academy and buy for positions where we haven't.

The club will then financially stable, with no debt and have developed in readiness to be able to push on to be a top six club in 2 or 3 seasons time, playing Champions League in 4 or 5 years.

Thinking of it this way has made me more optimistic again, but can anyone confirm my analysis OR tell me what the next 3 or 5 year plan is so we can make sense of the board's current actions.

Maybe we are still moving forward ! From the tide going out we have been riding the crest of a wave over the last 5 years so hopefully we are just gathering in readiness to ride the next wave !! COYS
Unfortunately the Lyon LB seems to have signed for West Ham today according to news reports.

Worse than that, Spider's remarks over the weekend, allied to reported interest from Napoli, Spurs and Arsenal, make me think he'll be off next.

RK has a major rebuild on his hands. It was inevitable that the squad of the last two seasons would fragment at some point. I didn't expect it to collapse quite so dramatically though!

COYR Onwards and upwards. Pre-season starts tomorrow!
[quote][p][bold]NC Fan4Life[/bold] wrote: Sounds like a good appointment again. Just maybe the Board do have a good plan. Certainly building the staff to take us forward. They are balancing the books to pay off the debt of £30m for Staplewood and the transfer defecate of £22m due this summer and £5m next, TOTAL £57m, with sale of Luke £30m, Adam £25m & fringe players £2m, TOTAL £57m. RonKo will have about £30m from current TV revenue etc plus Approx £10m from sale of Osvaldo and any other players he decides to sale. Probably expect us to spend about £50m plus any fee for Lovren and Gaston if they are set to go. Buy two of the Dutch CB's from Feyenoord; the french LB from Lyon; a top GK; pacy good crossing winger; creative goalscoring midfielder; and at least one top quality striker. Total cost about £65m. Then next season when a couple more of our young players have established themselves they will sell a couple more to pay for the ground extension and academy building. After that we will have additional revenue from increased capacity at St Mary's and improved marketing so will only need to sell when we have replacements coming through from the academy and buy for positions where we haven't. The club will then financially stable, with no debt and have developed in readiness to be able to push on to be a top six club in 2 or 3 seasons time, playing Champions League in 4 or 5 years. Thinking of it this way has made me more optimistic again, but can anyone confirm my analysis OR tell me what the next 3 or 5 year plan is so we can make sense of the board's current actions. Maybe we are still moving forward ! From the tide going out we have been riding the crest of a wave over the last 5 years so hopefully we are just gathering in readiness to ride the next wave !! COYS[/p][/quote]Unfortunately the Lyon LB seems to have signed for West Ham today according to news reports. Worse than that, Spider's remarks over the weekend, allied to reported interest from Napoli, Spurs and Arsenal, make me think he'll be off next. RK has a major rebuild on his hands. It was inevitable that the squad of the last two seasons would fragment at some point. I didn't expect it to collapse quite so dramatically though! COYR Onwards and upwards. Pre-season starts tomorrow! Santa65
  • Score: 0

11:38am Mon 30 Jun 14

Bazultra says...

BowesSaint wrote:
brighton saint wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.
I agree as fans the players and board have had no respect for us whatsoever. Yet some fans just say its ok weve been through this before and trust in the board and wait and see what happens. Rubbish we trusted Lowe and look where that got us. Me and the wife got Lamberts and Lallanas shirt this season for £150 with the printing and then they sell them off while they are under contract to the club. Too many fans here sugarcoat everything. Im an optimist and a realist but I still say get stuffed to the board and disloyal players. As fans we have a voice its just a shame that the board dont care to listen. COYR
[quote][p][bold]BowesSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton saint[/bold] wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS[/p][/quote]Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.[/p][/quote]I agree as fans the players and board have had no respect for us whatsoever. Yet some fans just say its ok weve been through this before and trust in the board and wait and see what happens. Rubbish we trusted Lowe and look where that got us. Me and the wife got Lamberts and Lallanas shirt this season for £150 with the printing and then they sell them off while they are under contract to the club. Too many fans here sugarcoat everything. Im an optimist and a realist but I still say get stuffed to the board and disloyal players. As fans we have a voice its just a shame that the board dont care to listen. COYR Bazultra
  • Score: 0

11:53am Mon 30 Jun 14

Rising_Son says...

Santa65 wrote:"Unfortunately the Lyon LB seems to have signed for West Ham today according to news reports."

Source, please?
Santa65 wrote:"Unfortunately the Lyon LB seems to have signed for West Ham today according to news reports." Source, please? Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

11:55am Mon 30 Jun 14

Rising_Son says...

Bazultra wrote:
BowesSaint wrote:
brighton saint wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.
I agree as fans the players and board have had no respect for us whatsoever. Yet some fans just say its ok weve been through this before and trust in the board and wait and see what happens. Rubbish we trusted Lowe and look where that got us. Me and the wife got Lamberts and Lallanas shirt this season for £150 with the printing and then they sell them off while they are under contract to the club. Too many fans here sugarcoat everything. Im an optimist and a realist but I still say get stuffed to the board and disloyal players. As fans we have a voice its just a shame that the board dont care to listen. COYR
So, "we trusted Lowe and look where that got us." And if we had distrusted him, wouldn't it have got us to exactly the same place?
[quote][p][bold]Bazultra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BowesSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton saint[/bold] wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS[/p][/quote]Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.[/p][/quote]I agree as fans the players and board have had no respect for us whatsoever. Yet some fans just say its ok weve been through this before and trust in the board and wait and see what happens. Rubbish we trusted Lowe and look where that got us. Me and the wife got Lamberts and Lallanas shirt this season for £150 with the printing and then they sell them off while they are under contract to the club. Too many fans here sugarcoat everything. Im an optimist and a realist but I still say get stuffed to the board and disloyal players. As fans we have a voice its just a shame that the board dont care to listen. COYR[/p][/quote]So, "we trusted Lowe and look where that got us." And if we had distrusted him, wouldn't it have got us to exactly the same place? Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

12:04pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Rising_Son says...

Rising_Son wrote:
Santa65 wrote:"Unfortun
ately the Lyon LB seems to have signed for West Ham today according to news reports."

Source, please?
Found it. The Brentwood Gazette!
[quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: Santa65 wrote:"Unfortun ately the Lyon LB seems to have signed for West Ham today according to news reports." Source, please?[/p][/quote]Found it. The Brentwood Gazette! Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

1:15pm Mon 30 Jun 14

jls217 says...

Bazultra wrote:
BowesSaint wrote:
brighton saint wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.
I agree as fans the players and board have had no respect for us whatsoever. Yet some fans just say its ok weve been through this before and trust in the board and wait and see what happens. Rubbish we trusted Lowe and look where that got us. Me and the wife got Lamberts and Lallanas shirt this season for £150 with the printing and then they sell them off while they are under contract to the club. Too many fans here sugarcoat everything. Im an optimist and a realist but I still say get stuffed to the board and disloyal players. As fans we have a voice its just a shame that the board dont care to listen. COYR
Okay, you've outlined the problem, which you've done well, now the difficult bit. What are you going to do about it, what do we do about it, what would you like us to do about it?.

I'm sure telling the board to get stuffed has made you feel a little better but what practical purpose has that served.

What is your five year plan please?

Which players are you going to bring in to change the situation?

I'm waiting.............
....
[quote][p][bold]Bazultra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BowesSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton saint[/bold] wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS[/p][/quote]Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.[/p][/quote]I agree as fans the players and board have had no respect for us whatsoever. Yet some fans just say its ok weve been through this before and trust in the board and wait and see what happens. Rubbish we trusted Lowe and look where that got us. Me and the wife got Lamberts and Lallanas shirt this season for £150 with the printing and then they sell them off while they are under contract to the club. Too many fans here sugarcoat everything. Im an optimist and a realist but I still say get stuffed to the board and disloyal players. As fans we have a voice its just a shame that the board dont care to listen. COYR[/p][/quote]Okay, you've outlined the problem, which you've done well, now the difficult bit. What are you going to do about it, what do we do about it, what would you like us to do about it?. I'm sure telling the board to get stuffed has made you feel a little better but what practical purpose has that served. What is your five year plan please? Which players are you going to bring in to change the situation? I'm waiting............. .... jls217
  • Score: 0

1:16pm Mon 30 Jun 14

jls217 says...

Bazultra wrote:
BowesSaint wrote:
brighton saint wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.
I agree as fans the players and board have had no respect for us whatsoever. Yet some fans just say its ok weve been through this before and trust in the board and wait and see what happens. Rubbish we trusted Lowe and look where that got us. Me and the wife got Lamberts and Lallanas shirt this season for £150 with the printing and then they sell them off while they are under contract to the club. Too many fans here sugarcoat everything. Im an optimist and a realist but I still say get stuffed to the board and disloyal players. As fans we have a voice its just a shame that the board dont care to listen. COYR
Okay, you've outlined the problem, which you've done well, now the difficult bit. What are you going to do about it, what do we do about it, what would you like us to do about it?.

I'm sure telling the board to get stuffed has made you feel a little better but what practical purpose has that served.

What is your five year plan please?

Which players are you going to bring in to change the situation?

I'm waiting.............
....
[quote][p][bold]Bazultra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BowesSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton saint[/bold] wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS[/p][/quote]Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.[/p][/quote]I agree as fans the players and board have had no respect for us whatsoever. Yet some fans just say its ok weve been through this before and trust in the board and wait and see what happens. Rubbish we trusted Lowe and look where that got us. Me and the wife got Lamberts and Lallanas shirt this season for £150 with the printing and then they sell them off while they are under contract to the club. Too many fans here sugarcoat everything. Im an optimist and a realist but I still say get stuffed to the board and disloyal players. As fans we have a voice its just a shame that the board dont care to listen. COYR[/p][/quote]Okay, you've outlined the problem, which you've done well, now the difficult bit. What are you going to do about it, what do we do about it, what would you like us to do about it?. I'm sure telling the board to get stuffed has made you feel a little better but what practical purpose has that served. What is your five year plan please? Which players are you going to bring in to change the situation? I'm waiting............. .... jls217
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Bazultra says...

jls217 wrote:
Bazultra wrote:
BowesSaint wrote:
brighton saint wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS
Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.
I agree as fans the players and board have had no respect for us whatsoever. Yet some fans just say its ok weve been through this before and trust in the board and wait and see what happens. Rubbish we trusted Lowe and look where that got us. Me and the wife got Lamberts and Lallanas shirt this season for £150 with the printing and then they sell them off while they are under contract to the club. Too many fans here sugarcoat everything. Im an optimist and a realist but I still say get stuffed to the board and disloyal players. As fans we have a voice its just a shame that the board dont care to listen. COYR
Okay, you've outlined the problem, which you've done well, now the difficult bit. What are you going to do about it, what do we do about it, what would you like us to do about it?. I'm sure telling the board to get stuffed has made you feel a little better but what practical purpose has that served. What is your five year plan please? Which players are you going to bring in to change the situation? I'm waiting............. ....
Ive already said we are only fans and mean nothing to the club. Anything the club does now is all about them and money and not the love of the club or the beautiful game. Nothing you or I can can do about that. So much for us being a family club. I live in hope COYR
[quote][p][bold]jls217[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bazultra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BowesSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton saint[/bold] wrote: Deffo an excellent appointment...he has a history of developing young keepers ..well stoked we are getting the backroom staff sorted..we have taken a few big waves to rock our boat recently but we are now rebuilding for Saints future and I for one am happy with what is being done by KL to keep us going in the right direction...there is nothing a club can do to keep players who want to leave...we just have to accept it and move on and realise we are not a Man Utd, Liverpool etc... thank god because we would have plastic fans all over the planet...we support Saints because we love them through and through...I don't want peeps jumping on our beloved bandwagon because we are now a club that it would be good to support as we are winning stuff..being a Saints supporter takes a lot more than just winning...we have been through the mill over recent years but we have all seen it out as we love our club...the passion for our club rivals none and we all need to remember that...NC tried to change that IMO and make it a much more global commodity...which I personally wasn't happy with...we are not a club known to the world but we are known as a family club that plays attractive footie..very simple We are Southampton and we LOVE our club...COYS[/p][/quote]Am I the only one fed up with listening to so called Saints supporters put up with mediocrity. "Oh well" they drone, "we may never win anything but at least we're a family club ...blah blah blah" I live in North London and have persuaded my two sons to be Saints. I want us to win stuff for Christ's sake.[/p][/quote]I agree as fans the players and board have had no respect for us whatsoever. Yet some fans just say its ok weve been through this before and trust in the board and wait and see what happens. Rubbish we trusted Lowe and look where that got us. Me and the wife got Lamberts and Lallanas shirt this season for £150 with the printing and then they sell them off while they are under contract to the club. Too many fans here sugarcoat everything. Im an optimist and a realist but I still say get stuffed to the board and disloyal players. As fans we have a voice its just a shame that the board dont care to listen. COYR[/p][/quote]Okay, you've outlined the problem, which you've done well, now the difficult bit. What are you going to do about it, what do we do about it, what would you like us to do about it?. I'm sure telling the board to get stuffed has made you feel a little better but what practical purpose has that served. What is your five year plan please? Which players are you going to bring in to change the situation? I'm waiting............. ....[/p][/quote]Ive already said we are only fans and mean nothing to the club. Anything the club does now is all about them and money and not the love of the club or the beautiful game. Nothing you or I can can do about that. So much for us being a family club. I live in hope COYR Bazultra
  • Score: 0

3:35pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Georgethepie says...

jls217 wrote:
Georgethepie wrote:
Praised for helping joe Hart thats not something to shout about.
The guys rubbish I thought he had been coached by the clowns in the traveling circus but only once they realised he couldn't juggle.
In your opinion?

I doubt you'd be taking that view if we had him between our sticks. Oh! and btw - you're wrong IMHO!
I'm wrong did you see his displays in the World Cup. The guy couldn't catch a cold.
I know his defence was rubbish but he didn't cover himself in glory at City either
[quote][p][bold]jls217[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: Praised for helping joe Hart thats not something to shout about. The guys rubbish I thought he had been coached by the clowns in the traveling circus but only once they realised he couldn't juggle.[/p][/quote]In your opinion? I doubt you'd be taking that view if we had him between our sticks. Oh! and btw - you're wrong IMHO![/p][/quote]I'm wrong did you see his displays in the World Cup. The guy couldn't catch a cold. I know his defence was rubbish but he didn't cover himself in glory at City either Georgethepie
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree