Cafe Rouge on the menu at WestQuay

Daily Echo: How the new look Food Terrace at WestQuay will look How the new look Food Terrace at WestQuay will look

THE taste of France will soon be coming to WestQuay as another big name is served up as part of the shopping centre’s £7m revamp, the Daily Echo can reveal.

The latest culinary star opening its doors in the Southampton shopping centre in November will be French eatery Cafe Rouge, offering shoppers traditional cuisine from across the Channel.

It is one of three new restaurant brands opening at the extended food hall, bringing about 100 new jobs to the city.

The French style restaurant will be joined by Pizza Express and Japanese style noodle chain Wagamama as the food quarter is renamed “Dining at WestQuay” to move away from its current status as “casual dining”.

Cafe Rouge will open opposite Wagamama, which will be above McDonald’s in the existing food court and the two will be linked by a new bridged walkway.

The existing roof terrace will be extended and covered with a glass atrium, offering all-year-round seating with views of Southampton Water.

WestQuay’s owners wanted to “expand” and “refresh”

the eating and drinking opportunities at the 11- year-old centre. It is hoped the changes will bring a five to ten per cent increase in footfall from shoppers.

The revamp has been designed by the team behind the giant Westfield shopping centre in London.

Andy Collyer, general manager at WestQuay, said: “We are all delighted that Café Rouge will be opening as part of Dining at WestQuay.

“The fact that the brand has chosen WestQuay as its first location in Southampton is fantastic news for the development and will offer even greater choice to our shoppers.”

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:48am Tue 4 Sep 12

G0Rf says...

Shame west quay resturants close so early....would be good if they were open in the evening!
Shame west quay resturants close so early....would be good if they were open in the evening! G0Rf

11:54am Tue 4 Sep 12

peachy7 says...

I just logged in to post a similar comment, are they going to re-think this? Are there ways of just opening the food court like many shopping centres do?
I just logged in to post a similar comment, are they going to re-think this? Are there ways of just opening the food court like many shopping centres do? peachy7

12:23pm Tue 4 Sep 12

bigfella777 says...

G0Rf wrote:
Shame west quay resturants close so early....would be good if they were open in the evening!
West Quay is open until 9 every night
[quote][p][bold]G0Rf[/bold] wrote: Shame west quay resturants close so early....would be good if they were open in the evening![/p][/quote]West Quay is open until 9 every night bigfella777

12:32pm Tue 4 Sep 12

andysaints007 says...

bigfella777 wrote:
G0Rf wrote:
Shame west quay resturants close so early....would be good if they were open in the evening!
West Quay is open until 9 every night
..and what is your point?
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G0Rf[/bold] wrote: Shame west quay resturants close so early....would be good if they were open in the evening![/p][/quote]West Quay is open until 9 every night[/p][/quote]..and what is your point? andysaints007

12:49pm Tue 4 Sep 12

hulla baloo says...

bigfella777 wrote:
G0Rf wrote:
Shame west quay resturants close so early....would be good if they were open in the evening!
West Quay is open until 9 every night
Would you really want an evening meal, or romantic date there?
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G0Rf[/bold] wrote: Shame west quay resturants close so early....would be good if they were open in the evening![/p][/quote]West Quay is open until 9 every night[/p][/quote]Would you really want an evening meal, or romantic date there? hulla baloo

1:28pm Tue 4 Sep 12

Higginz says...

That upstairs bit of West Quay is hell on Earth during lunchtime.

Another boring moany comment is that I'd prefer to see some independant restaurants in West Quay, as opposed to more and more regurgitated I-could-be-in-anywhe
re cack.

AND, something about Millbrook.
That upstairs bit of West Quay is hell on Earth during lunchtime. Another boring moany comment is that I'd prefer to see some independant restaurants in West Quay, as opposed to more and more regurgitated I-could-be-in-anywhe re cack. AND, something about Millbrook. Higginz

1:45pm Tue 4 Sep 12

userds5050 says...

Cafe Rouge is hardly a brand. They had a branch in below bar a while back which shut so it's not really a first either.
Cafe Rouge is hardly a brand. They had a branch in below bar a while back which shut so it's not really a first either. userds5050

1:46pm Tue 4 Sep 12

elvisimo says...

Higginz wrote:
That upstairs bit of West Quay is hell on Earth during lunchtime. Another boring moany comment is that I'd prefer to see some independant restaurants in West Quay, as opposed to more and more regurgitated I-could-be-in-anywhe re cack. AND, something about Millbrook.
Dont think Wagamammas can be described as cack - although the same can probably not be said for Cafe Rouge.

You will not get independant operators in prime shopping centres - ball park £650k fit out cost, £25 psf rent and at a guess about £7 psf service charge plus rates bill.
[quote][p][bold]Higginz[/bold] wrote: That upstairs bit of West Quay is hell on Earth during lunchtime. Another boring moany comment is that I'd prefer to see some independant restaurants in West Quay, as opposed to more and more regurgitated I-could-be-in-anywhe re cack. AND, something about Millbrook.[/p][/quote]Dont think Wagamammas can be described as cack - although the same can probably not be said for Cafe Rouge. You will not get independant operators in prime shopping centres - ball park £650k fit out cost, £25 psf rent and at a guess about £7 psf service charge plus rates bill. elvisimo

2:51pm Tue 4 Sep 12

BenjiWinsor says...

Really need to open later in the evenings for evening meals out. I wouldn't want to start a meal knowing I would feel rushed so 9pm closing is rubbish.
Really need to open later in the evenings for evening meals out. I wouldn't want to start a meal knowing I would feel rushed so 9pm closing is rubbish. BenjiWinsor

2:54pm Tue 4 Sep 12

miltonarcher says...

Go to Oxford street, Southampton for some decent places to eat in the evening.
Go to Oxford street, Southampton for some decent places to eat in the evening. miltonarcher

3:06pm Tue 4 Sep 12

Higginz says...

elvisimo wrote:
Higginz wrote: That upstairs bit of West Quay is hell on Earth during lunchtime. Another boring moany comment is that I'd prefer to see some independant restaurants in West Quay, as opposed to more and more regurgitated I-could-be-in-anywhe re cack. AND, something about Millbrook.
Dont think Wagamammas can be described as cack - although the same can probably not be said for Cafe Rouge. You will not get independant operators in prime shopping centres - ball park £650k fit out cost, £25 psf rent and at a guess about £7 psf service charge plus rates bill.
That's a fair point. Only chains with some wedge behind them can even think about getting in to such prime locations. Hence why every it seems all the shopping centres look like replicas of each other.

I like Prezzo, the Golden Wok Chinese takeaway in Chandler's Ford and the Blue Haze restaurant near Romsey. To name but a small selection.
[quote][p][bold]elvisimo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Higginz[/bold] wrote: That upstairs bit of West Quay is hell on Earth during lunchtime. Another boring moany comment is that I'd prefer to see some independant restaurants in West Quay, as opposed to more and more regurgitated I-could-be-in-anywhe re cack. AND, something about Millbrook.[/p][/quote]Dont think Wagamammas can be described as cack - although the same can probably not be said for Cafe Rouge. You will not get independant operators in prime shopping centres - ball park £650k fit out cost, £25 psf rent and at a guess about £7 psf service charge plus rates bill.[/p][/quote]That's a fair point. Only chains with some wedge behind them can even think about getting in to such prime locations. Hence why every it seems all the shopping centres look like replicas of each other. I like Prezzo, the Golden Wok Chinese takeaway in Chandler's Ford and the Blue Haze restaurant near Romsey. To name but a small selection. Higginz

4:23pm Tue 4 Sep 12

Ted Rogers says...

A French name doesn't mean it's "the taste of France" that's like saying bella italia is 'the taste of Italy'
Another awful chain restaurant that will be staffed by authentic French/eastern European personnel.
If you want a really authentic quality French meal go to La Place in Winchester or La Parisienne in Romsey.
West Quay iis a hole so this restaurant will fit nicely.
A French name doesn't mean it's "the taste of France" that's like saying bella italia is 'the taste of Italy' Another awful chain restaurant that will be staffed by authentic French/eastern European personnel. If you want a really authentic quality French meal go to La Place in Winchester or La Parisienne in Romsey. West Quay iis a hole so this restaurant will fit nicely. Ted Rogers

5:51pm Tue 4 Sep 12

Huffter says...

Shouldn't it be Café, not Cafe?
Shouldn't it be Café, not Cafe? Huffter

7:51pm Tue 4 Sep 12

andysaints007 says...

Huffter wrote:
Shouldn't it be Café, not Cafe?
Shouldn't you get a life?
[quote][p][bold]Huffter[/bold] wrote: Shouldn't it be Café, not Cafe?[/p][/quote]Shouldn't you get a life? andysaints007

8:29pm Tue 4 Sep 12

wilson castaway says...

Are they going to sort out the crazy lifts which make you visit the carpark, lower shopping, upper shopping, carpark again,then finally the food terrace.By the time I get out I feel sick and dont feel like eating anything!
Are they going to sort out the crazy lifts which make you visit the carpark, lower shopping, upper shopping, carpark again,then finally the food terrace.By the time I get out I feel sick and dont feel like eating anything! wilson castaway

9:19pm Tue 4 Sep 12

sass says...

andysaints007 wrote:
Huffter wrote: Shouldn't it be Café, not Cafe?
Shouldn't you get a life?
Why, because you are an illiterate oik?
[quote][p][bold]andysaints007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Huffter[/bold] wrote: Shouldn't it be Café, not Cafe?[/p][/quote]Shouldn't you get a life?[/p][/quote]Why, because you are an illiterate oik? sass

9:43pm Tue 4 Sep 12

G0Rf says...

While we are on the subject of the lifts there isn't enough lifts for wheelchair / pushchair users as the lifts seem to be full of able bodied lazy gits
While we are on the subject of the lifts there isn't enough lifts for wheelchair / pushchair users as the lifts seem to be full of able bodied lazy gits G0Rf

9:43pm Tue 4 Sep 12

G0Rf says...

While we are on the subject of the lifts there isn't enough lifts for wheelchair / pushchair users as the lifts seem to be full of able bodied lazy gits
While we are on the subject of the lifts there isn't enough lifts for wheelchair / pushchair users as the lifts seem to be full of able bodied lazy gits G0Rf

11:14pm Tue 4 Sep 12

Scrutinizer says...

Personally, I'd like to see more authentic, decent French restaurants and Cafés open over here. It just happens to be more my scene. Whether 'Cafe (Café?!) Rouge' is of that kind of quality and whether W.Q. is the place to locate it, well, that's another matter! As someone else commented previously, just because it has a 'French' name etc...
Personally, I'd like to see more authentic, decent French restaurants and Cafés open over here. It just happens to be more my scene. Whether 'Cafe (Café?!) Rouge' is of that kind of quality and whether W.Q. is the place to locate it, well, that's another matter! As someone else commented previously, just because it has a 'French' name etc... Scrutinizer

11:27pm Tue 4 Sep 12

andysaints007 says...

sass wrote:
andysaints007 wrote:
Huffter wrote: Shouldn't it be Café, not Cafe?
Shouldn't you get a life?
Why, because you are an illiterate oik?
I wasn't talking to you d*ckhead
[quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]andysaints007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Huffter[/bold] wrote: Shouldn't it be Café, not Cafe?[/p][/quote]Shouldn't you get a life?[/p][/quote]Why, because you are an illiterate oik?[/p][/quote]I wasn't talking to you d*ckhead andysaints007

10:46am Wed 5 Sep 12

wilson castaway says...

G0Rf wrote:
While we are on the subject of the lifts there isn't enough lifts for wheelchair / pushchair users as the lifts seem to be full of able bodied lazy gits
Very true, and people who totally ignore the fact you have waited patiently to use a lift and just barge right in.Total ignorance.
[quote][p][bold]G0Rf[/bold] wrote: While we are on the subject of the lifts there isn't enough lifts for wheelchair / pushchair users as the lifts seem to be full of able bodied lazy gits[/p][/quote]Very true, and people who totally ignore the fact you have waited patiently to use a lift and just barge right in.Total ignorance. wilson castaway

5:29pm Wed 5 Sep 12

Scrutinizer says...

wilson castaway wrote:
G0Rf wrote: While we are on the subject of the lifts there isn't enough lifts for wheelchair / pushchair users as the lifts seem to be full of able bodied lazy gits
Very true, and people who totally ignore the fact you have waited patiently to use a lift and just barge right in.Total ignorance.
Yes, and so much for the famous, traditional British reputation for queuing, eh?! You know, I've always considered London, without question t-h-e rudest place in the country. Now, it's increasingly becoming obvious that the so-called 'provinces' - my hometown of Southampton included - are fast catching up!
[quote][p][bold]wilson castaway[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G0Rf[/bold] wrote: While we are on the subject of the lifts there isn't enough lifts for wheelchair / pushchair users as the lifts seem to be full of able bodied lazy gits[/p][/quote]Very true, and people who totally ignore the fact you have waited patiently to use a lift and just barge right in.Total ignorance.[/p][/quote]Yes, and so much for the famous, traditional British reputation for queuing, eh?! You know, I've always considered London, without question t-h-e rudest place in the country. Now, it's increasingly becoming obvious that the so-called 'provinces' - my hometown of Southampton included - are fast catching up! Scrutinizer

6:04pm Wed 5 Sep 12

andysaints007 says...

Scrutinizer wrote:
wilson castaway wrote:
G0Rf wrote: While we are on the subject of the lifts there isn't enough lifts for wheelchair / pushchair users as the lifts seem to be full of able bodied lazy gits
Very true, and people who totally ignore the fact you have waited patiently to use a lift and just barge right in.Total ignorance.
Yes, and so much for the famous, traditional British reputation for queuing, eh?! You know, I've always considered London, without question t-h-e rudest place in the country. Now, it's increasingly becoming obvious that the so-called 'provinces' - my hometown of Southampton included - are fast catching up!
That might have something to do with the fact that most people here don't actually come from here !
[quote][p][bold]Scrutinizer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wilson castaway[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G0Rf[/bold] wrote: While we are on the subject of the lifts there isn't enough lifts for wheelchair / pushchair users as the lifts seem to be full of able bodied lazy gits[/p][/quote]Very true, and people who totally ignore the fact you have waited patiently to use a lift and just barge right in.Total ignorance.[/p][/quote]Yes, and so much for the famous, traditional British reputation for queuing, eh?! You know, I've always considered London, without question t-h-e rudest place in the country. Now, it's increasingly becoming obvious that the so-called 'provinces' - my hometown of Southampton included - are fast catching up![/p][/quote]That might have something to do with the fact that most people here don't actually come from here ! andysaints007

3:19pm Wed 12 Sep 12

kingnotail says...

What's the point in putting it in westquay when this means it will shut at some ridiculously early hour like 8pm?

Southampton - surely the only city in the UK where the only Nando's shuts at 7.30pm!
What's the point in putting it in westquay when this means it will shut at some ridiculously early hour like 8pm? Southampton - surely the only city in the UK where the only Nando's shuts at 7.30pm! kingnotail

3:22pm Wed 12 Sep 12

kingnotail says...

Whoop-de-doo, Wagamama's and Cafe Rouge. Two out of the literally dozens of chain restaurants missing from Southampton.
Whoop-de-doo, Wagamama's and Cafe Rouge. Two out of the literally dozens of chain restaurants missing from Southampton. kingnotail

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree