Environment boss waiting for study over £8 billion windfarm

Daily Echo: Friends of the Earth executive director Andy Atkins today. Friends of the Earth executive director Andy Atkins today.

FRIENDS of the Earth says its support for a £3 billion wind farm due to be built off the Hampshire coast is “not unconditional”.

Executive director Andy Atkins said the group was waiting for the result of an environmental impact study into plans to build 300 wind turbines nine miles from Barton-on-Sea.

He added: “On the current evidence I don't see any reason why it shouldn't proceed, provided proper mitigation measures are put in place.

“The key thing is that local communities are given an input and that proper consideration is given to their views.”

Commenting on the visual impact of the scheme Mr Atkins said: “I'd much rather look at a wind farm than a large oil-fired power station.

“And it's a myth that wind farms don't generate much power. This one could produce enough energy to supply more than 800,000 homes.”

Mr Atkins was speaking at Taddiford Gap, where power generated by the Navitus Bay project will come ashore.

A 35km underground cable will link the site with two sub-stations near West Moors and Three Legged Cross.

Councillor Steve Clarke said he and fellow members of New Milton Town Council were keeping a close eye on the scheme.

He added: “The cable route includes a number of significant woods. We are very strong on protecting the environment and don't want to see any mature trees felled.”

Representatives from Eneco, the company behind the project, said they were consulting Natural England and other organisations.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:57pm Tue 30 Oct 12

sotonbusdriver says...

Lets hope this not only gets the green light, but actually gets built.
This Country needs to stop being stuck in the past and look to the future.
And although it will be visible to many, may actually provide a tourist attraction in its own way..
And to those who many object to the sight of a wind farm, they should be proud that the South Coast has been picked to have it, and the visual sight of the wind farm, may remind people to be more careful of the usage of electricity..
Lets hope this not only gets the green light, but actually gets built. This Country needs to stop being stuck in the past and look to the future. And although it will be visible to many, may actually provide a tourist attraction in its own way.. And to those who many object to the sight of a wind farm, they should be proud that the South Coast has been picked to have it, and the visual sight of the wind farm, may remind people to be more careful of the usage of electricity.. sotonbusdriver

9:12pm Tue 30 Oct 12

derek james says...

He's carrying on with the wind industry's old trick of quoting the capacity so instead of 800000 homes read 200000 as in the uk the average power output is 25% of capacity (because the wind doesn't always blow)
as these will be subsidised by us from our energy bills which are set to double because of green subsidies in the immediate future i would say a big no.
you have to keep conventional power stations on standby for when the wind drops net saving in energy-probably not much.not sure where the money for "ground rent" goes to but i believe the crown owns the nearby seabed making the royal family even richer
He's carrying on with the wind industry's old trick of quoting the capacity so instead of 800000 homes read 200000 as in the uk the average power output is 25% of capacity (because the wind doesn't always blow) as these will be subsidised by us from our energy bills which are set to double because of green subsidies in the immediate future i would say a big no. you have to keep conventional power stations on standby for when the wind drops net saving in energy-probably not much.not sure where the money for "ground rent" goes to but i believe the crown owns the nearby seabed making the royal family even richer derek james

9:30pm Tue 30 Oct 12

loosehead says...

derek james wrote:
He's carrying on with the wind industry's old trick of quoting the capacity so instead of 800000 homes read 200000 as in the uk the average power output is 25% of capacity (because the wind doesn't always blow)
as these will be subsidised by us from our energy bills which are set to double because of green subsidies in the immediate future i would say a big no.
you have to keep conventional power stations on standby for when the wind drops net saving in energy-probably not much.not sure where the money for "ground rent" goes to but i believe the crown owns the nearby seabed making the royal family even richer
Yet again you say this rubbish!
Try looking up Liquid Air & see it's capabilities of storing excess electricity from Wind & Solar generators ( Panels & Turbines) & then to produce Electricity at the time it's needed.
If the Government give this Wind Farm the green light maybe they should insist on Liquid Air storage systems being fitted?
[quote][p][bold]derek james[/bold] wrote: He's carrying on with the wind industry's old trick of quoting the capacity so instead of 800000 homes read 200000 as in the uk the average power output is 25% of capacity (because the wind doesn't always blow) as these will be subsidised by us from our energy bills which are set to double because of green subsidies in the immediate future i would say a big no. you have to keep conventional power stations on standby for when the wind drops net saving in energy-probably not much.not sure where the money for "ground rent" goes to but i believe the crown owns the nearby seabed making the royal family even richer[/p][/quote]Yet again you say this rubbish! Try looking up Liquid Air & see it's capabilities of storing excess electricity from Wind & Solar generators ( Panels & Turbines) & then to produce Electricity at the time it's needed. If the Government give this Wind Farm the green light maybe they should insist on Liquid Air storage systems being fitted? loosehead

10:25pm Tue 30 Oct 12

derek james says...

loosehead wrote:
derek james wrote:
He's carrying on with the wind industry's old trick of quoting the capacity so instead of 800000 homes read 200000 as in the uk the average power output is 25% of capacity (because the wind doesn't always blow)
as these will be subsidised by us from our energy bills which are set to double because of green subsidies in the immediate future i would say a big no.
you have to keep conventional power stations on standby for when the wind drops net saving in energy-probably not much.not sure where the money for "ground rent" goes to but i believe the crown owns the nearby seabed making the royal family even richer
Yet again you say this rubbish!
Try looking up Liquid Air & see it's capabilities of storing excess electricity from Wind & Solar generators ( Panels & Turbines) & then to produce Electricity at the time it's needed.
If the Government give this Wind Farm the green light maybe they should insist on Liquid Air storage systems being fitted?
it's not rubbish it's using proven technology as previously mentioned germany has done the donkey work for us they've gone for solar and wind in a big way and it does not provide enough electricity let alone at anywhere near a sensible price.that's why they are building coal fired power stations big time (as are india and china)do you have any figures on the cost of building the faciltiies for storage? what sort of area of infrastructure is required? has any country in the world built a practical working example of this technology? and to the bus driver about being "stuck in the past" the IC engine is over a hundred years old and still powers most vehicles on the road i'd call that proven technology
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]derek james[/bold] wrote: He's carrying on with the wind industry's old trick of quoting the capacity so instead of 800000 homes read 200000 as in the uk the average power output is 25% of capacity (because the wind doesn't always blow) as these will be subsidised by us from our energy bills which are set to double because of green subsidies in the immediate future i would say a big no. you have to keep conventional power stations on standby for when the wind drops net saving in energy-probably not much.not sure where the money for "ground rent" goes to but i believe the crown owns the nearby seabed making the royal family even richer[/p][/quote]Yet again you say this rubbish! Try looking up Liquid Air & see it's capabilities of storing excess electricity from Wind & Solar generators ( Panels & Turbines) & then to produce Electricity at the time it's needed. If the Government give this Wind Farm the green light maybe they should insist on Liquid Air storage systems being fitted?[/p][/quote]it's not rubbish it's using proven technology as previously mentioned germany has done the donkey work for us they've gone for solar and wind in a big way and it does not provide enough electricity let alone at anywhere near a sensible price.that's why they are building coal fired power stations big time (as are india and china)do you have any figures on the cost of building the faciltiies for storage? what sort of area of infrastructure is required? has any country in the world built a practical working example of this technology? and to the bus driver about being "stuck in the past" the IC engine is over a hundred years old and still powers most vehicles on the road i'd call that proven technology derek james

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree