Weathermen warn of major travel disruption

A woman battles against the wind and rain in Totton

A woman battles against the wind and rain in Totton

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Features Writer

HAMPSHIRE is bracing itself for stormy weather that will batter the county later today.

Both heavy rain and strong winds are expected and the county has a severe weather warning in place.

Gusts of up to 70mph are predicted, weather experts have warned.

The Met Office has urged people to stay alert and be prepared for travel disruption after issuing a yellow warning.

The wintry weather has already started to cause havoc across the South.

This morning train passengers were delayed after trains between Southampton and Fareham were halted.

The silver birch had fallen onto the track blocking the line.

A Met Office spokesman, said: “A spell of very wet and very windy weather is expected.

“Coming so soon after the heavy rain which fell in places earlier in the week this is likely to provoke further issues with flooding.

“Additionally winds will gust to 50 to 60mph in places, and could exceed 70mph in some exposed western areas.

“In view of the wind and rain combination the public should be prepared for some transport disruption.”

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:30am Thu 22 Nov 12

There's Always Been Ethel says...

Is this the build up to the end of the world as mentioned in one of the articles here yesterday?
Is this the build up to the end of the world as mentioned in one of the articles here yesterday? There's Always Been Ethel
  • Score: 0

8:44am Thu 22 Nov 12

Taskforce 141 says...

Oooo i forgot that was pending... It could be a link!
Oooo i forgot that was pending... It could be a link! Taskforce 141
  • Score: 0

10:53am Thu 22 Nov 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.
What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

10:57am Thu 22 Nov 12

S!monOn says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.
You're getting boring.
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.[/p][/quote]You're getting boring. S!monOn
  • Score: 0

11:00am Thu 22 Nov 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

S!monOn wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.
You're getting boring.
No one said you HAD to read my comment did they? No? Then stop complaining.
[quote][p][bold]S!monOn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.[/p][/quote]You're getting boring.[/p][/quote]No one said you HAD to read my comment did they? No? Then stop complaining. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

11:04am Thu 22 Nov 12

S!monOn says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
S!monOn wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.
You're getting boring.
No one said you HAD to read my comment did they? No? Then stop complaining.
Calm down Zorro.
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]S!monOn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.[/p][/quote]You're getting boring.[/p][/quote]No one said you HAD to read my comment did they? No? Then stop complaining.[/p][/quote]Calm down Zorro. S!monOn
  • Score: 0

11:04am Thu 22 Nov 12

S!monOn says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
S!monOn wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.
You're getting boring.
No one said you HAD to read my comment did they? No? Then stop complaining.
Calm down Zorro.
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]S!monOn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.[/p][/quote]You're getting boring.[/p][/quote]No one said you HAD to read my comment did they? No? Then stop complaining.[/p][/quote]Calm down Zorro. S!monOn
  • Score: 0

11:22am Thu 22 Nov 12

freefinker says...

I expect southy will be posting soon to tell us all how winds work.
I expect southy will be posting soon to tell us all how winds work. freefinker
  • Score: 0

12:38pm Thu 22 Nov 12

good-gosh says...

Love is in the air. My dustbin just jumped over the garden wall and chased the dustcart up the road.
Love is in the air. My dustbin just jumped over the garden wall and chased the dustcart up the road. good-gosh
  • Score: 0

1:29pm Thu 22 Nov 12

Brite Spark says...

I wonder if any idiots will ignore the weather forecasts and go out on their yachts again?
I wonder if any idiots will ignore the weather forecasts and go out on their yachts again? Brite Spark
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Thu 22 Nov 12

TheGooseisLoose says...

GREAT CHANCE TO TRY MY NEW KITE
GREAT CHANCE TO TRY MY NEW KITE TheGooseisLoose
  • Score: 0

3:20pm Thu 22 Nov 12

sparkster says...

Yes Brite Spark I wonder. Anybody daft enough to take to the water in this weather wants their head examined. As to \\gooseisLoose yeah give your new kite a try perfect weather for it ha ha hold on tight to it though (its ok im known to have a warped sense of humour)
Yes Brite Spark I wonder. Anybody daft enough to take to the water in this weather wants their head examined. As to \\gooseisLoose yeah give your new kite a try perfect weather for it ha ha hold on tight to it though (its ok im known to have a warped sense of humour) sparkster
  • Score: 0

3:31pm Thu 22 Nov 12

100%HANTSBOY says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.
Yawn Yawn Yawn!! Whilst your setting your own record for passing stationery cars,why don't you go get two things...... a job and a life
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.[/p][/quote]Yawn Yawn Yawn!! Whilst your setting your own record for passing stationery cars,why don't you go get two things...... a job and a life 100%HANTSBOY
  • Score: 0

4:13pm Thu 22 Nov 12

mack chinnon says...

S!monOn wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.
You're getting boring.
Getting?
[quote][p][bold]S!monOn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.[/p][/quote]You're getting boring.[/p][/quote]Getting? mack chinnon
  • Score: 0

8:21pm Thu 22 Nov 12

Limplarry says...

100%HANTSBOY wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.
Yawn Yawn Yawn!! Whilst your setting your own record for passing stationery cars,why don't you go get two things...... a job and a life
I really do hope that you don't slide on those leaves and plough head first into a stationery car, that would be awful.
[quote][p][bold]100%HANTSBOY[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.[/p][/quote]Yawn Yawn Yawn!! Whilst your setting your own record for passing stationery cars,why don't you go get two things...... a job and a life[/p][/quote]I really do hope that you don't slide on those leaves and plough head first into a stationery car, that would be awful. Limplarry
  • Score: 0

10:10pm Thu 22 Nov 12

100%HANTSBOY says...

Limplarry wrote:
100%HANTSBOY wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.
Yawn Yawn Yawn!! Whilst your setting your own record for passing stationery cars,why don't you go get two things...... a job and a life
I really do hope that you don't slide on those leaves and plough head first into a stationery car, that would be awful.
Call me synical,but do I detect a hint of sarcasm in that statement,Larry?
[quote][p][bold]Limplarry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]100%HANTSBOY[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: What travel disruption? You mean cars becoming gridlocked due to a little water and a few leaves? I could set a record on the number of vehicles I can filter past on my bike.[/p][/quote]Yawn Yawn Yawn!! Whilst your setting your own record for passing stationery cars,why don't you go get two things...... a job and a life[/p][/quote]I really do hope that you don't slide on those leaves and plough head first into a stationery car, that would be awful.[/p][/quote]Call me synical,but do I detect a hint of sarcasm in that statement,Larry? 100%HANTSBOY
  • Score: 0

10:13pm Thu 22 Nov 12

100%HANTSBOY says...

* cynical
* cynical 100%HANTSBOY
  • Score: 0

10:13pm Thu 22 Nov 12

100%HANTSBOY says...

* cynical
* cynical 100%HANTSBOY
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree