Lifeline for child carers faces the axe due to Southampton City Council cuts

Lifeline for child carers faces the axe

Lifeline for child carers faces the axe

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy News Editor

THEY are the charities and organisations providing a lifeline to the most needy and vulnerable children in Southampton.

Every week hundreds of youngsters rely on their services, which include supporting children with learning difficulties, special educational needs and disabilities, helping youths conquer substance misuse and young carers get respite from difficulties at home.

Scores of children forced to flee violent homes and seek refuge with their mothers in a safe environment are also helped while thousands of pounds are spent in a bid to drive down the city’s teenage pregnancy rate.

But today 25 organisations find themselves at the heart of the biggest cuts to children’s services the city has ever seen.

The department has been ordered to cut £7m from its £39m budget – but around £24m of that money is devoted to vital social care and schools meaning it cannot be touched.

It has left bosses with a financial headache about how to slash around 45 per cent of the cash they have left over, of which £1.6m is spent buying services for young people from outside organisations.

In many cases, the city is proposing to cut its financial ties with them completely and the services will no longer be available.

Council chiefs who have spent a year looking at how to save money are keen to stress the proposals are exactly that – and far from set in stone while a 90-day consultation gets under way with providers and users.

But they also know that the money must be saved somewhere.

If the plans go ahead ten groups will no longer receive money from the council to run their services. They are: n Ansbury and Catch 22, which both provide support for youths aged 14-16 and are used by a total of 85 children.

  • Choices, a local charity helping youngsters with learning difficulties.
  • Community Playlink’s toy mobile service.
  • Hants and IOWYouth Options, which provides residential breaks and support to 56 youngsters aged 8-13.
  • Play Association, a national charity working in three city schools helping groups of 30 children at a time.
  • The Prince’s Trust, which runs three schemes for a total of 94 children aged between 14 and 18.
  • Weston Church Youth Project, which runs support sessions for youngsters ranging from age 8-16.
  • YMCA, which has a base in the city and runs a mentoring scheme for children at Fairthorne Manor with up to eight users at a time.

But among the hardest to be hit is Southampton Voluntary Services’ Young Carers Project, which gives respite to 120 children who care for others at home.

They stand to lose their entire £89,000 support that potentially means the end of the line for the scheme.

The death knell for the project, which was launched around 15 years ago with contributions from Children In Need, was revealed to angry parents by letter and has sparked an outcry.

Youngsters attend fortnightly sessions where, their parents say, they get the chance to mix with other youngsters in the same position as themselves and be children once again – for just a couple of hours.

Mum Lisa Dussill’s two sons, Max, 9, and John, 11, have been attending the project for 18 months after they were referred by a social worker.

Ms Dussill, 29, from Lower Brownhill Road in Millbrook, suffers severe bouts of depression and sometimes cannot get out of bed. She said: “They have to deal with everything when I am ill, from getting themselves dressed and fed to getting to school. They care for me and make sure I have food and drink and they are wonderful children.

“Once every two weeks they are taken to SVS where they get to be with many other children whose parents have illnesses and disabilities. They have the chance to socialise and have fun which they might not get at home. It’s so important – it’s the chance for them to be children again and the possibility it might not exist from April next year is unthinkable.”

Jo Ash, chief executive officer of SVS, said; “It’s a lifeline to many of these families.

We will be calling a meeting in the new year as soon as we have a clear picture of exactly what we will be facing, but we will be doing everything we can to plead and persuade the council to change their minds.”

She added that the charity would be doing everything to secure money from other areas so it could at least run a skeleton service before axing it completely.

As part of the sweeping cuts, nine projects in the city will also see their funding from the city council significantly reduced and among the hardest hit will be charity Barnardo’s, which will find its current £128,750 contract slashed to just £33,704 as it is asked to curtail its work solely to focus on the sexual exploitation of children.

Others who will see a reduction in money include Mencap’s parent partnership scheme, the No Limits charity which provides advice and guidance to young people, The Rose Road Association’s school for severely disabled children, Southampton Rape Crisis, Women’s Aid, Solent NHS Trust’s substance misuse service and The Avenue Centre’s family support service.

A £900,000 pot will also be shared between several other organisations which provide vouchers to parents which they can redeem for support work or a respite break. However, the length of time the vouchers cover will also be cut.

Clive Webster, director of children’s services, admits they are stark cuts but says the department is faced with making tough decisions defined by the priorities of the Labour group which came into power in May.

Cllr Sarah Bogle, the Cabinet member for children’s services, said: “It’s not news that we have got the worst settlement we have ever seen looming.

“It’s been a very difficult and challenging process that in an ordinary world we wouldn’t want to put forward, but we have tried to be as fair as possible, prioritising what limited resources we have.”

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:08pm Mon 26 Nov 12

sotonbusdriver says...

Before long this Government will be calling all the disabled, and others suffering from life long illness to line up at the WALL,, in front of a FIRING SQUAD....
For disabled and alike, they have reduced the services that are on offer so they can lead a life of some description and now it wants to take services from those that volunteer to assist for no reward...
Are the disabled and afflicted becoming second class citizens again..... ???
Before long this Government will be calling all the disabled, and others suffering from life long illness to line up at the WALL,, in front of a FIRING SQUAD.... For disabled and alike, they have reduced the services that are on offer so they can lead a life of some description and now it wants to take services from those that volunteer to assist for no reward... Are the disabled and afflicted becoming second class citizens again..... ??? sotonbusdriver
  • Score: 0

4:08pm Mon 26 Nov 12

sotonbusdriver says...

Before long this Government will be calling all the disabled, and others suffering from life long illness to line up at the WALL,, in front of a FIRING SQUAD....
For disabled and alike, they have reduced the services that are on offer so they can lead a life of some description and now it wants to take services from those that volunteer to assist for no reward...
Are the disabled and afflicted becoming second class citizens again..... ???
Before long this Government will be calling all the disabled, and others suffering from life long illness to line up at the WALL,, in front of a FIRING SQUAD.... For disabled and alike, they have reduced the services that are on offer so they can lead a life of some description and now it wants to take services from those that volunteer to assist for no reward... Are the disabled and afflicted becoming second class citizens again..... ??? sotonbusdriver
  • Score: 0

4:26pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Over the Edge says...

The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron Over the Edge
  • Score: 0

4:31pm Mon 26 Nov 12

nedscrumpo says...

Clive Webster or Young Carers Project? Guess which makes the biggest difference to children?
Clive Webster or Young Carers Project? Guess which makes the biggest difference to children? nedscrumpo
  • Score: 0

4:48pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Shoong says...

sotonbusdriver wrote:
Before long this Government will be calling all the disabled, and others suffering from life long illness to line up at the WALL,, in front of a FIRING SQUAD....
For disabled and alike, they have reduced the services that are on offer so they can lead a life of some description and now it wants to take services from those that volunteer to assist for no reward...
Are the disabled and afflicted becoming second class citizens again..... ???
Dear oh dear, get a grip, or at least a sense of perspective.
[quote][p][bold]sotonbusdriver[/bold] wrote: Before long this Government will be calling all the disabled, and others suffering from life long illness to line up at the WALL,, in front of a FIRING SQUAD.... For disabled and alike, they have reduced the services that are on offer so they can lead a life of some description and now it wants to take services from those that volunteer to assist for no reward... Are the disabled and afflicted becoming second class citizens again..... ???[/p][/quote]Dear oh dear, get a grip, or at least a sense of perspective. Shoong
  • Score: 0

4:50pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Shoong says...

Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.
[quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it. Shoong
  • Score: 0

5:35pm Mon 26 Nov 12

SaintsBTGOG says...

Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
What utter rubbish.

How about cuts because of the looney left wing and their sad unions have taken the money from these people instead of willing to take a pay drop.

All cutbacks are a direct result of the labour goverment who spent money like water and now the schit has hit the fan.
[quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]What utter rubbish. How about cuts because of the looney left wing and their sad unions have taken the money from these people instead of willing to take a pay drop. All cutbacks are a direct result of the labour goverment who spent money like water and now the schit has hit the fan. SaintsBTGOG
  • Score: 0

6:16pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Over the Edge says...

SaintsBTGOG wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
What utter rubbish.

How about cuts because of the looney left wing and their sad unions have taken the money from these people instead of willing to take a pay drop.

All cutbacks are a direct result of the labour goverment who spent money like water and now the schit has hit the fan.
I suppose the Labour Government spent money like water (as you say) in Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece, the economical policy of the last Labour Government was fully by the then Tory opposition and the Lib Dems.

At least 2 years of this Government and still they play the blame game, no solutions apart from austerity which believe it or not isn't actually working.

Cutting funding to local services and the 3rd sector is cutting the hands off of those who want to lend a helping hand, volunteers are there but need support you cannot support volunteers without money, a CRB costs £60 per person without one you cannot work with children or vulnerable adults therefore those people who need help lose out.
[quote][p][bold]SaintsBTGOG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]What utter rubbish. How about cuts because of the looney left wing and their sad unions have taken the money from these people instead of willing to take a pay drop. All cutbacks are a direct result of the labour goverment who spent money like water and now the schit has hit the fan.[/p][/quote]I suppose the Labour Government spent money like water (as you say) in Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece, the economical policy of the last Labour Government was fully by the then Tory opposition and the Lib Dems. At least 2 years of this Government and still they play the blame game, no solutions apart from austerity which believe it or not isn't actually working. Cutting funding to local services and the 3rd sector is cutting the hands off of those who want to lend a helping hand, volunteers are there but need support you cannot support volunteers without money, a CRB costs £60 per person without one you cannot work with children or vulnerable adults therefore those people who need help lose out. Over the Edge
  • Score: 0

6:25pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Over the Edge says...

Shoong wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.
I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.[/p][/quote]I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same? Over the Edge
  • Score: 0

7:19pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Lone Ranger. says...

Over the Edge wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.
I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?
Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster.
.
He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.
[quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.[/p][/quote]I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?[/p][/quote]Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster. . He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself. Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

7:39pm Mon 26 Nov 12

lisaholbury says...

Hi everyone i am the ms dussill, unfortunately my name has been spelt wrong but never mind.

I cant believe we are going to be losing all of these children's services, not just because my sons use them but for all the children! these services are so important to not just the children but also the safe guarding of our city, my sons didnt ask or dont want a poorly mum, they dont ask to look after me when i am poorly they do it because they care but who cares that they care and other children care for others.
without these services where will the children turn for support? my guess would be depressed children turning to hanging out on streets possibly taking drugs and drinking! but who cares?
I think very highly of the elderly but are they losing any of their services? surely we the city should be protecting our children! wether your child is a carer or not please get behind this and help us to save our childrens services.
Hi everyone i am the ms dussill, unfortunately my name has been spelt wrong but never mind. I cant believe we are going to be losing all of these children's services, not just because my sons use them but for all the children! these services are so important to not just the children but also the safe guarding of our city, my sons didnt ask or dont want a poorly mum, they dont ask to look after me when i am poorly they do it because they care but who cares that they care and other children care for others. without these services where will the children turn for support? my guess would be depressed children turning to hanging out on streets possibly taking drugs and drinking! but who cares? I think very highly of the elderly but are they losing any of their services? surely we the city should be protecting our children! wether your child is a carer or not please get behind this and help us to save our childrens services. lisaholbury
  • Score: 0

8:10pm Mon 26 Nov 12

mack chinnon says...

Over the Edge wrote:
SaintsBTGOG wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
What utter rubbish.

How about cuts because of the looney left wing and their sad unions have taken the money from these people instead of willing to take a pay drop.

All cutbacks are a direct result of the labour goverment who spent money like water and now the schit has hit the fan.
I suppose the Labour Government spent money like water (as you say) in Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece, the economical policy of the last Labour Government was fully by the then Tory opposition and the Lib Dems.

At least 2 years of this Government and still they play the blame game, no solutions apart from austerity which believe it or not isn't actually working.

Cutting funding to local services and the 3rd sector is cutting the hands off of those who want to lend a helping hand, volunteers are there but need support you cannot support volunteers without money, a CRB costs £60 per person without one you cannot work with children or vulnerable adults therefore those people who need help lose out.
Ireland,Euro
Spain,Euro
Portugal,Euro
Italy,Euro
Greece,Euro
U.K. Gordon(my pensions ok) Brown

Anyway I think young carers are unsung heros and we should all help them. I would like to donate on a regular basis. I did try once before but when asking what would happen to the personall details that I would hand to a certain charity I was told that these would be sold on to other agencys.
I still want to help financially though if anyone could put me in touch with the right organisation i would be very grateful.
[quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SaintsBTGOG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]What utter rubbish. How about cuts because of the looney left wing and their sad unions have taken the money from these people instead of willing to take a pay drop. All cutbacks are a direct result of the labour goverment who spent money like water and now the schit has hit the fan.[/p][/quote]I suppose the Labour Government spent money like water (as you say) in Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece, the economical policy of the last Labour Government was fully by the then Tory opposition and the Lib Dems. At least 2 years of this Government and still they play the blame game, no solutions apart from austerity which believe it or not isn't actually working. Cutting funding to local services and the 3rd sector is cutting the hands off of those who want to lend a helping hand, volunteers are there but need support you cannot support volunteers without money, a CRB costs £60 per person without one you cannot work with children or vulnerable adults therefore those people who need help lose out.[/p][/quote]Ireland,Euro Spain,Euro Portugal,Euro Italy,Euro Greece,Euro U.K. Gordon(my pensions ok) Brown Anyway I think young carers are unsung heros and we should all help them. I would like to donate on a regular basis. I did try once before but when asking what would happen to the personall details that I would hand to a certain charity I was told that these would be sold on to other agencys. I still want to help financially though if anyone could put me in touch with the right organisation i would be very grateful. mack chinnon
  • Score: 0

8:37pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Shoong says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.
I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?
Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster.
.
He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.
I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'.

You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about.

I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot.

I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless.

Of course you have.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.[/p][/quote]I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?[/p][/quote]Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster. . He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.[/p][/quote]I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'. You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about. I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot. I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless. Of course you have. Shoong
  • Score: 0

9:04pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Over the Edge says...

Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.
I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?
Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster.
.
He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.
I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'.

You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about.

I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot.

I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless.

Of course you have.
Food banks are very worthy cause's, the fact is they are and will become more in demand and overstretched in the near future, a new one hopefully starting soon in the Sholing area allowing access to people in the East of the City, fingers crossed.

I don't have to justify anything to anyone, I just do what I do, I neither need or want praise just a smile on the face and a thank you from the people I try to help, as I said I work for a charity so fully understand the need for funding for projects and volunteers, we cannot do it without money.

My comment about the Big Society being CaMorons/Tory rhetoric is true, it is to me something old ,blue,borrowed but nothing new, the 3rd sector have delivering it for years, Saul Alensky set up the Big Society in the 60's in Philadelphia CaMoron has it used to justify cuts in services, Libraries being the prime example also non emergency or life threatening health projects being delivered by 3rd sector organisations they all need funding and by cutting funding these service users will be forced to access the NHS to meet their needs which costs more in the long run, CaMorons false economics.

This Government have said the care about the people yet they keep cutting funding to organisations that really do care by cutting to all local councils, so they take no responsibility, they just the buck to councils to do it for them, which I find disgusting.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.[/p][/quote]I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?[/p][/quote]Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster. . He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.[/p][/quote]I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'. You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about. I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot. I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless. Of course you have.[/p][/quote]Food banks are very worthy cause's, the fact is they are and will become more in demand and overstretched in the near future, a new one hopefully starting soon in the Sholing area allowing access to people in the East of the City, fingers crossed. I don't have to justify anything to anyone, I just do what I do, I neither need or want praise just a smile on the face and a thank you from the people I try to help, as I said I work for a charity so fully understand the need for funding for projects and volunteers, we cannot do it without money. My comment about the Big Society being CaMorons/Tory rhetoric is true, it is to me something old ,blue,borrowed but nothing new, the 3rd sector have delivering it for years, Saul Alensky set up the Big Society in the 60's in Philadelphia CaMoron has it used to justify cuts in services, Libraries being the prime example also non emergency or life threatening health projects being delivered by 3rd sector organisations they all need funding and by cutting funding these service users will be forced to access the NHS to meet their needs which costs more in the long run, CaMorons false economics. This Government have said the care about the people yet they keep cutting funding to organisations that really do care by cutting to all local councils, so they take no responsibility, they just the buck to councils to do it for them, which I find disgusting. Over the Edge
  • Score: 0

9:42pm Mon 26 Nov 12

elvisimo says...

sotonbusdriver wrote:
Before long this Government will be calling all the disabled, and others suffering from life long illness to line up at the WALL,, in front of a FIRING SQUAD....
For disabled and alike, they have reduced the services that are on offer so they can lead a life of some description and now it wants to take services from those that volunteer to assist for no reward...
Are the disabled and afflicted becoming second class citizens again..... ???
No but bus drivers are. Better watch out....
[quote][p][bold]sotonbusdriver[/bold] wrote: Before long this Government will be calling all the disabled, and others suffering from life long illness to line up at the WALL,, in front of a FIRING SQUAD.... For disabled and alike, they have reduced the services that are on offer so they can lead a life of some description and now it wants to take services from those that volunteer to assist for no reward... Are the disabled and afflicted becoming second class citizens again..... ???[/p][/quote]No but bus drivers are. Better watch out.... elvisimo
  • Score: 0

9:43am Tue 27 Nov 12

Lone Ranger. says...

Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.
I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?
Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster.
.
He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.
I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'.

You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about.

I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot.

I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless.

Of course you have.
A contibution at last with only a mild touch of sarcasim.
.
Delighted that you "do your bit" (i'll take your word for it).
.
No, I dont do a shift at the Salvation Army, but contribute in many other ways that i shall not be sharing with you.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.[/p][/quote]I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?[/p][/quote]Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster. . He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.[/p][/quote]I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'. You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about. I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot. I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless. Of course you have.[/p][/quote]A contibution at last with only a mild touch of sarcasim. . Delighted that you "do your bit" (i'll take your word for it). . No, I dont do a shift at the Salvation Army, but contribute in many other ways that i shall not be sharing with you. Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

10:07am Tue 27 Nov 12

Shoong says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.
I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?
Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster.
.
He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.
I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'.

You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about.

I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot.

I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless.

Of course you have.
A contibution at last with only a mild touch of sarcasim.
.
Delighted that you "do your bit" (i'll take your word for it).
.
No, I dont do a shift at the Salvation Army, but contribute in many other ways that i shall not be sharing with you.
A bit like Smashey and Nicey then.

'Don't like to talk about that mate'.

Unfortunately on this occasion, I won't be taking your word for it.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.[/p][/quote]I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?[/p][/quote]Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster. . He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.[/p][/quote]I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'. You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about. I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot. I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless. Of course you have.[/p][/quote]A contibution at last with only a mild touch of sarcasim. . Delighted that you "do your bit" (i'll take your word for it). . No, I dont do a shift at the Salvation Army, but contribute in many other ways that i shall not be sharing with you.[/p][/quote]A bit like Smashey and Nicey then. 'Don't like to talk about that mate'. Unfortunately on this occasion, I won't be taking your word for it. Shoong
  • Score: 0

11:18am Tue 27 Nov 12

Lone Ranger. says...

Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.
I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?
Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster.
.
He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.
I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'.

You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about.

I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot.

I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless.

Of course you have.
A contibution at last with only a mild touch of sarcasim.
.
Delighted that you "do your bit" (i'll take your word for it).
.
No, I dont do a shift at the Salvation Army, but contribute in many other ways that i shall not be sharing with you.
A bit like Smashey and Nicey then.

'Don't like to talk about that mate'.

Unfortunately on this occasion, I won't be taking your word for it.
Just because you do something for nothing you want to let everyone know about it.... thats your choice
.
Fortunately, we are not all like you.
.
Guess what ........ I couldnt care less whether you take my word for it or not
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.[/p][/quote]I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?[/p][/quote]Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster. . He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.[/p][/quote]I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'. You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about. I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot. I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless. Of course you have.[/p][/quote]A contibution at last with only a mild touch of sarcasim. . Delighted that you "do your bit" (i'll take your word for it). . No, I dont do a shift at the Salvation Army, but contribute in many other ways that i shall not be sharing with you.[/p][/quote]A bit like Smashey and Nicey then. 'Don't like to talk about that mate'. Unfortunately on this occasion, I won't be taking your word for it.[/p][/quote]Just because you do something for nothing you want to let everyone know about it.... thats your choice . Fortunately, we are not all like you. . Guess what ........ I couldnt care less whether you take my word for it or not Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

11:22am Tue 27 Nov 12

Subject48 says...

lisaholbury says...
7:39pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Hi everyone i am the ms dussill, unfortunately my name has been spelt wrong but never mind.

I cant believe we are going to be losing all of these children's services, not just because my sons use them but for all the children! these services are so important to not just the children but also the safe guarding of our city, my sons didnt ask or dont want a poorly mum, they dont ask to look after me when i am poorly they do it because they care but who cares that they care and other children care for others.
without these services where will the children turn for support? my guess would be depressed children turning to hanging out on streets possibly taking drugs and drinking! but who cares?
I think very highly of the elderly but are they losing any of their services? surely we the city should be protecting our children! wether your child is a carer or not please get behind this and help us to save our childrens services.”

Now im sory to be the one to do this and I know I will get a lot of hate by speaking out.

First of all I think service like this is important in some cases.

Obiously I dont know the ins and outs of your particular ciruimstance. But, why on earth did you have kids? If youre suffering from depressive disorders why have children?

Before you judge, I am persoanly battling with depression myself regulary, I do not earn as much as as I would want in order to give a child a good life, thefore I use conctrceptives. I cannot afford to give a child what I would deem a good life or have the right state of mind.

I mean, children dont appear from a cabbage patch nor do they get brought by a stork. I know a single parent who has more money and a very nice place of their own. paid by yours truly and everyone else tax. Now is this fair??

By no means am I trying to penalise the children. They are innocent. But some people should think about what they are doing rather then expect everyone to bend over backwards because they have made a very bad choice or in some cases been plain stupid.

I am not saying disabled people are second class citizens! But, if you are unable to look after yourself properly, and offer a child a good life, why would you feel capable to raise children?

Its unfortunate but it is the cards life dealt you. Its the harsh reality of the world we live in.

I am really sorry if anyone is offended by what I said. But its a reality we, seem to brush under the rug. Social responsibility does not seem to be required anymore nor encouraged.

To say that someone who has spent their whole life working, contributing, does not deserve some of their services is disgraceful.

And the government most certainly does not give 2 sticks about anyone.
lisaholbury says... 7:39pm Mon 26 Nov 12 Hi everyone i am the ms dussill, unfortunately my name has been spelt wrong but never mind. I cant believe we are going to be losing all of these children's services, not just because my sons use them but for all the children! these services are so important to not just the children but also the safe guarding of our city, my sons didnt ask or dont want a poorly mum, they dont ask to look after me when i am poorly they do it because they care but who cares that they care and other children care for others. without these services where will the children turn for support? my guess would be depressed children turning to hanging out on streets possibly taking drugs and drinking! but who cares? I think very highly of the elderly but are they losing any of their services? surely we the city should be protecting our children! wether your child is a carer or not please get behind this and help us to save our childrens services.” Now im sory to be the one to do this and I know I will get a lot of hate by speaking out. First of all I think service like this is important in some cases. Obiously I dont know the ins and outs of your particular ciruimstance. But, why on earth did you have kids? If youre suffering from depressive disorders why have children? Before you judge, I am persoanly battling with depression myself regulary, I do not earn as much as as I would want in order to give a child a good life, thefore I use conctrceptives. I cannot afford to give a child what I would deem a good life or have the right state of mind. I mean, children dont appear from a cabbage patch nor do they get brought by a stork. I know a single parent who has more money and a very nice place of their own. paid by yours truly and everyone else tax. Now is this fair?? By no means am I trying to penalise the children. They are innocent. But some people should think about what they are doing rather then expect everyone to bend over backwards because they have made a very bad choice or in some cases been plain stupid. I am not saying disabled people are second class citizens! But, if you are unable to look after yourself properly, and offer a child a good life, why would you feel capable to raise children? Its unfortunate but it is the cards life dealt you. Its the harsh reality of the world we live in. I am really sorry if anyone is offended by what I said. But its a reality we, seem to brush under the rug. Social responsibility does not seem to be required anymore nor encouraged. To say that someone who has spent their whole life working, contributing, does not deserve some of their services is disgraceful. And the government most certainly does not give 2 sticks about anyone. Subject48
  • Score: 0

11:23am Tue 27 Nov 12

Shoong says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton.

I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike.

I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive.

Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron
I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.
I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?
Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster.
.
He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.
I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'.

You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about.

I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot.

I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless.

Of course you have.
A contibution at last with only a mild touch of sarcasim.
.
Delighted that you "do your bit" (i'll take your word for it).
.
No, I dont do a shift at the Salvation Army, but contribute in many other ways that i shall not be sharing with you.
A bit like Smashey and Nicey then.

'Don't like to talk about that mate'.

Unfortunately on this occasion, I won't be taking your word for it.
Just because you do something for nothing you want to let everyone know about it.... thats your choice
.
Fortunately, we are not all like you.
.
Guess what ........ I couldnt care less whether you take my word for it or not
No, I was just replying to you really. You're overreacting.

It would seem you are not like me because ,unfortunately, the organisations listed above can't cash moaning as a viable donation.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: The harsh reality of the ConDems austerity measures hitting home right here in Southampton. I remember CaMoron's rhetoric about the big society and how volunteers and 3rd sector organisations could do the jobs of paid staff, in many cases he's right, however you have to give volunteers the tools to do the job, by cutting local authority spending budgets you're essentially cutting off funding to 3rd sector organisation for training volunteers, managing projects and alike. I'm sure the everyone will start blaming the Labour council and last Labour Government, however the blame lays fairly and squarely at the door of David CaMoron's local services hatchetman Eric Pickles, without his barbaric cuts these projects would survive. Big Society more like Bull Sh1t from CaMoron[/p][/quote]I'm sure you can take some solace in the donations you have been giving to these causes. I'm sure they appreciate it.[/p][/quote]I cannot donate in financial terms, however I do volunteer my time, I work in 3rd sector full time and volunteer at least 20 hours a week, also I am a volunteers director of a not for profit organisation that employs local people and donates any profit to local good causes in the East of the city, it also employs 10 people who were left of the scrapheap and out of work, I take solace from that, can you say the same?[/p][/quote]Dont feel that you have to justify yourself to that poster. . He is a serial WUM who possibly contributes absolutely absolutely nothing to society itself.[/p][/quote]I'm not sure trying to ascertain the difference between someone who merely takes 2 minutes to sign on to a website to have a moan (whether I feel it's justified or not, it's the posters right to do so) and pretend to care rather than do anything about it is 'winding up'. You may not like my method of doing so but it turns out this person does contribute something back as it turns out (I'll take their word for it) so does know what they are on about. I do contribute in my own small way, I have a job. Terrible I know, but someone's got to do it. On top of that I help to organise charity events at my workplace and donate to food banks and what change I can spare. I don't earn a lot. I assume Mr 'Lone Ranger', you've just put in a hard shift at The Salvation Army then or have been handing out hot tea to the homeless. Of course you have.[/p][/quote]A contibution at last with only a mild touch of sarcasim. . Delighted that you "do your bit" (i'll take your word for it). . No, I dont do a shift at the Salvation Army, but contribute in many other ways that i shall not be sharing with you.[/p][/quote]A bit like Smashey and Nicey then. 'Don't like to talk about that mate'. Unfortunately on this occasion, I won't be taking your word for it.[/p][/quote]Just because you do something for nothing you want to let everyone know about it.... thats your choice . Fortunately, we are not all like you. . Guess what ........ I couldnt care less whether you take my word for it or not[/p][/quote]No, I was just replying to you really. You're overreacting. It would seem you are not like me because ,unfortunately, the organisations listed above can't cash moaning as a viable donation. Shoong
  • Score: 0

12:30pm Tue 27 Nov 12

freemantlegirl2 says...

Subject48 wrote:
lisaholbury says...
7:39pm Mon 26 Nov 12

Hi everyone i am the ms dussill, unfortunately my name has been spelt wrong but never mind.

I cant believe we are going to be losing all of these children's services, not just because my sons use them but for all the children! these services are so important to not just the children but also the safe guarding of our city, my sons didnt ask or dont want a poorly mum, they dont ask to look after me when i am poorly they do it because they care but who cares that they care and other children care for others.
without these services where will the children turn for support? my guess would be depressed children turning to hanging out on streets possibly taking drugs and drinking! but who cares?
I think very highly of the elderly but are they losing any of their services? surely we the city should be protecting our children! wether your child is a carer or not please get behind this and help us to save our childrens services.”

Now im sory to be the one to do this and I know I will get a lot of hate by speaking out.

First of all I think service like this is important in some cases.

Obiously I dont know the ins and outs of your particular ciruimstance. But, why on earth did you have kids? If youre suffering from depressive disorders why have children?

Before you judge, I am persoanly battling with depression myself regulary, I do not earn as much as as I would want in order to give a child a good life, thefore I use conctrceptives. I cannot afford to give a child what I would deem a good life or have the right state of mind.

I mean, children dont appear from a cabbage patch nor do they get brought by a stork. I know a single parent who has more money and a very nice place of their own. paid by yours truly and everyone else tax. Now is this fair??

By no means am I trying to penalise the children. They are innocent. But some people should think about what they are doing rather then expect everyone to bend over backwards because they have made a very bad choice or in some cases been plain stupid.

I am not saying disabled people are second class citizens! But, if you are unable to look after yourself properly, and offer a child a good life, why would you feel capable to raise children?

Its unfortunate but it is the cards life dealt you. Its the harsh reality of the world we live in.

I am really sorry if anyone is offended by what I said. But its a reality we, seem to brush under the rug. Social responsibility does not seem to be required anymore nor encouraged.

To say that someone who has spent their whole life working, contributing, does not deserve some of their services is disgraceful.

And the government most certainly does not give 2 sticks about anyone.
So this is HER fault is it??. Illnesses do develop after you've had children you know.. Your naivety is astounding not to mention narrow minded. And no I don't hate you, just hold your view in the utmost contempt and unrealistic to say the least.... and yes you've offended a lot of people!

You are missing the whole point here, this group is for young people, not their parents. My own two, oldest (note oldest) children have used/use the group. My son who is now 22 is a joint carer of his two little brothers, who were born with a serious genetic condition. Maybe I shouldn't have had kids because of the risk of them being disabled (that's sarcasm btw)? or having an accident? or getting meningitis and becoming disabled? or even buy myself a crystal ball! Their father decided he couldn't hack it so we split up. So I was left with our lives in pieces. I picked myself up and I could not have done it without help from agenices/groups like this and the normal health and care provision. My son had marvellous opportunities with Young Carer's actually won a Young Carer of the Year Award from the Council. My daughter has help in school with support, which helps with behaviour, attendance etc of many of these young people, particularly those who are caring for parents, often on their own.

The Council have a Social Care and Public Health responsibility towards this ever increasing group of young people. Do you really think this is a cost saving at the end of the day? these families will no doubt begin to buckle (these aren't the only cuts they're experiencing as someone has already pointed out), children may be taken into care, parents mental health problems may become worse with the worry and guilt, and these kids will start having behaviour issues and absences from school. All of which is going to cost the council a LOT of money. It is short-sighted to say the least to expect it not to have this sort of impact. The depression factor and cost to the NHS of Young Carers and their families is huge.

As someone who personally had a nervous breakdown struggling to get the help we needed, and never thought I'd find myself in that position (although I've never preached to other people that they should or shouldn't have kids! and recognised the value of a social care system and welfare) you never know. Life sometimes comes along and gives you a few knockbacks, some of them very serious. I feel lucky that we've got through it but we wouldn't and my son certainly wouldn't had it not been for young carers.

Whilst we know the council have to make cuts, and the government are squeezing councils to breaking point, to cut all funding from these services will actually increase costs not save any.

Save Southampton Young Carers!
[quote][p][bold]Subject48[/bold] wrote: lisaholbury says... 7:39pm Mon 26 Nov 12 Hi everyone i am the ms dussill, unfortunately my name has been spelt wrong but never mind. I cant believe we are going to be losing all of these children's services, not just because my sons use them but for all the children! these services are so important to not just the children but also the safe guarding of our city, my sons didnt ask or dont want a poorly mum, they dont ask to look after me when i am poorly they do it because they care but who cares that they care and other children care for others. without these services where will the children turn for support? my guess would be depressed children turning to hanging out on streets possibly taking drugs and drinking! but who cares? I think very highly of the elderly but are they losing any of their services? surely we the city should be protecting our children! wether your child is a carer or not please get behind this and help us to save our childrens services.” Now im sory to be the one to do this and I know I will get a lot of hate by speaking out. First of all I think service like this is important in some cases. Obiously I dont know the ins and outs of your particular ciruimstance. But, why on earth did you have kids? If youre suffering from depressive disorders why have children? Before you judge, I am persoanly battling with depression myself regulary, I do not earn as much as as I would want in order to give a child a good life, thefore I use conctrceptives. I cannot afford to give a child what I would deem a good life or have the right state of mind. I mean, children dont appear from a cabbage patch nor do they get brought by a stork. I know a single parent who has more money and a very nice place of their own. paid by yours truly and everyone else tax. Now is this fair?? By no means am I trying to penalise the children. They are innocent. But some people should think about what they are doing rather then expect everyone to bend over backwards because they have made a very bad choice or in some cases been plain stupid. I am not saying disabled people are second class citizens! But, if you are unable to look after yourself properly, and offer a child a good life, why would you feel capable to raise children? Its unfortunate but it is the cards life dealt you. Its the harsh reality of the world we live in. I am really sorry if anyone is offended by what I said. But its a reality we, seem to brush under the rug. Social responsibility does not seem to be required anymore nor encouraged. To say that someone who has spent their whole life working, contributing, does not deserve some of their services is disgraceful. And the government most certainly does not give 2 sticks about anyone.[/p][/quote]So this is HER fault is it??. Illnesses do develop after you've had children you know.. Your naivety is astounding not to mention narrow minded. And no I don't hate you, just hold your view in the utmost contempt and unrealistic to say the least.... and yes you've offended a lot of people! You are missing the whole point here, this group is for young people, not their parents. My own two, oldest (note oldest) children have used/use the group. My son who is now 22 is a joint carer of his two little brothers, who were born with a serious genetic condition. Maybe I shouldn't have had kids because of the risk of them being disabled (that's sarcasm btw)? or having an accident? or getting meningitis and becoming disabled? or even buy myself a crystal ball! Their father decided he couldn't hack it so we split up. So I was left with our lives in pieces. I picked myself up and I could not have done it without help from agenices/groups like this and the normal health and care provision. My son had marvellous opportunities with Young Carer's actually won a Young Carer of the Year Award from the Council. My daughter has help in school with support, which helps with behaviour, attendance etc of many of these young people, particularly those who are caring for parents, often on their own. The Council have a Social Care and Public Health responsibility towards this ever increasing group of young people. Do you really think this is a cost saving at the end of the day? these families will no doubt begin to buckle (these aren't the only cuts they're experiencing as someone has already pointed out), children may be taken into care, parents mental health problems may become worse with the worry and guilt, and these kids will start having behaviour issues and absences from school. All of which is going to cost the council a LOT of money. It is short-sighted to say the least to expect it not to have this sort of impact. The depression factor and cost to the NHS of Young Carers and their families is huge. As someone who personally had a nervous breakdown struggling to get the help we needed, and never thought I'd find myself in that position (although I've never preached to other people that they should or shouldn't have kids! and recognised the value of a social care system and welfare) you never know. Life sometimes comes along and gives you a few knockbacks, some of them very serious. I feel lucky that we've got through it but we wouldn't and my son certainly wouldn't had it not been for young carers. Whilst we know the council have to make cuts, and the government are squeezing councils to breaking point, to cut all funding from these services will actually increase costs not save any. Save Southampton Young Carers! freemantlegirl2
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree