Driver escapes as fire engulfs van on Redbridge Flyover in Southampton

The van fire on Redbridge Flyover

The van fire on Redbridge Flyover

The van fire on Redbridge Flyover

The van fire on Redbridge Flyover

The van fire on Redbridge Flyover

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy News Editor

THIS was the moment a driver had a lucky escape as his van was engulfed in flames this morning.

The man had managed to get out of his vehicle as fire swept through it while he was travelling along a busy road into Southampton during rush hour.

Traffic was brought to a standstill on the A35 close to Redbridge flyover as all emergency services went to the scene, on the sliproad near to Adams Morey garage.

The driver was said to have been shocked by what happened but not injured.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:45am Thu 13 Dec 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

Wonder what caused the fire.
Wonder what caused the fire. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

10:48am Thu 13 Dec 12

MGRA says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Wonder what caused the fire.
molecular agitation !! :0)
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: Wonder what caused the fire.[/p][/quote]molecular agitation !! :0) MGRA
  • Score: 0

10:51am Thu 13 Dec 12

voiceof thepeople says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Wonder what caused the fire.
"wonder what caused the fire", why bother to take time to write and post this?
Have you nothing better to do ?
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: Wonder what caused the fire.[/p][/quote]"wonder what caused the fire", why bother to take time to write and post this? Have you nothing better to do ? voiceof thepeople
  • Score: 0

10:55am Thu 13 Dec 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

voiceof thepeople wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Wonder what caused the fire.
"wonder what caused the fire", why bother to take time to write and post this?
Have you nothing better to do ?
Why not? If I didn't ask then eventually someone else would.
[quote][p][bold]voiceof thepeople[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: Wonder what caused the fire.[/p][/quote]"wonder what caused the fire", why bother to take time to write and post this? Have you nothing better to do ?[/p][/quote]Why not? If I didn't ask then eventually someone else would. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

10:57am Thu 13 Dec 12

voiceof thepeople says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
voiceof thepeople wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote: Wonder what caused the fire.
"wonder what caused the fire", why bother to take time to write and post this? Have you nothing better to do ?
Why not? If I didn't ask then eventually someone else would.
Brilliant answer ! Merry Christmas to you..
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]voiceof thepeople[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: Wonder what caused the fire.[/p][/quote]"wonder what caused the fire", why bother to take time to write and post this? Have you nothing better to do ?[/p][/quote]Why not? If I didn't ask then eventually someone else would.[/p][/quote]Brilliant answer ! Merry Christmas to you.. voiceof thepeople
  • Score: 0

11:19am Thu 13 Dec 12

southy says...

loosehead wrote:
southy wrote:
none hulla just more interesting
So Southy a man escaping from his burning van with his life isn't interesting enough for you so you turn it into a political debate ?
Mate you should forget about it & have a nice Christmas & A Happy New Year or don't the SWP or the TUSC believe in Christmas?
I had all ready heard it happen, he had plenty of time to park up on the pavement and get out of the flatbed van and walk away before any flames showed.
hey loose i am not in the Labour supporting SWP, Xmas is a personal choice don't you think. to me now days its just another break.

Oh loose while i remember are you going to any of the Council cuts consutations they are holding over Southampton
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: none hulla just more interesting[/p][/quote]So Southy a man escaping from his burning van with his life isn't interesting enough for you so you turn it into a political debate ? Mate you should forget about it & have a nice Christmas & A Happy New Year or don't the SWP or the TUSC believe in Christmas?[/p][/quote]I had all ready heard it happen, he had plenty of time to park up on the pavement and get out of the flatbed van and walk away before any flames showed. hey loose i am not in the Labour supporting SWP, Xmas is a personal choice don't you think. to me now days its just another break. Oh loose while i remember are you going to any of the Council cuts consutations they are holding over Southampton southy
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Inform Al says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Wonder what caused the fire.
Hope there's not a smoking cyclist under the vehicle.
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: Wonder what caused the fire.[/p][/quote]Hope there's not a smoking cyclist under the vehicle. Inform Al
  • Score: 0

12:52pm Thu 13 Dec 12

southy says...

Torchie1 stop being a jerk and any one will know that all you get with a full header check on youtube is youtube servers and there location, and youtube is bit like wiki post are made by people, but where is a cam recording use, it do tend to give proff what they are on about and weather if there is a real connections and it is a true account or not, like in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey
Torchie1 stop being a jerk and any one will know that all you get with a full header check on youtube is youtube servers and there location, and youtube is bit like wiki post are made by people, but where is a cam recording use, it do tend to give proff what they are on about and weather if there is a real connections and it is a true account or not, like in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey southy
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Thu 13 Dec 12

OSPREYSAINT says...

MGRA wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Wonder what caused the fire.
molecular agitation !! :0)
Heat, Fuel and Oxygen, works everytime, maybe a fuel leak or an electrical fault, the Insurers will sort it out. Happy that there were no injuries.
[quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: Wonder what caused the fire.[/p][/quote]molecular agitation !! :0)[/p][/quote]Heat, Fuel and Oxygen, works everytime, maybe a fuel leak or an electrical fault, the Insurers will sort it out. Happy that there were no injuries. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

2:48pm Thu 13 Dec 12

hulla baloo says...

southy wrote:
Torchie1 stop being a jerk and any one will know that all you get with a full header check on youtube is youtube servers and there location, and youtube is bit like wiki post are made by people, but where is a cam recording use, it do tend to give proff what they are on about and weather if there is a real connections and it is a true account or not, like in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey
You believe everything you see and hear on cameras?
And as for your quote ''...in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey'' do you always believe politicians then?
If so, what do you say about your previous ramblings on MP's and politicians?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Torchie1 stop being a jerk and any one will know that all you get with a full header check on youtube is youtube servers and there location, and youtube is bit like wiki post are made by people, but where is a cam recording use, it do tend to give proff what they are on about and weather if there is a real connections and it is a true account or not, like in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey[/p][/quote]You believe everything you see and hear on cameras? And as for your quote ''...in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey'' do you always believe politicians then? If so, what do you say about your previous ramblings on MP's and politicians? hulla baloo
  • Score: 0

3:12pm Thu 13 Dec 12

bazzeroz says...

Hope he's covered by fire and theft. But then again who's going to nick a burning car!!
Hope he's covered by fire and theft. But then again who's going to nick a burning car!! bazzeroz
  • Score: 0

4:53pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

voiceof thepeople wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
voiceof thepeople wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote: Wonder what caused the fire.
"wonder what caused the fire", why bother to take time to write and post this? Have you nothing better to do ?
Why not? If I didn't ask then eventually someone else would.
Brilliant answer ! Merry Christmas to you..
And a happy new year.
[quote][p][bold]voiceof thepeople[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]voiceof thepeople[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: Wonder what caused the fire.[/p][/quote]"wonder what caused the fire", why bother to take time to write and post this? Have you nothing better to do ?[/p][/quote]Why not? If I didn't ask then eventually someone else would.[/p][/quote]Brilliant answer ! Merry Christmas to you..[/p][/quote]And a happy new year. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

5:38pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Torchie1 says...

southy wrote:
Torchie1 stop being a jerk and any one will know that all you get with a full header check on youtube is youtube servers and there location, and youtube is bit like wiki post are made by people, but where is a cam recording use, it do tend to give proff what they are on about and weather if there is a real connections and it is a true account or not, like in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey
It's like dealing with a four year where the other children in the class are always right and daddy knows nothing!
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Torchie1 stop being a jerk and any one will know that all you get with a full header check on youtube is youtube servers and there location, and youtube is bit like wiki post are made by people, but where is a cam recording use, it do tend to give proff what they are on about and weather if there is a real connections and it is a true account or not, like in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey[/p][/quote]It's like dealing with a four year where the other children in the class are always right and daddy knows nothing! Torchie1
  • Score: 0

9:45pm Thu 13 Dec 12

IronLady2010 says...

Ahhhhh Southy has his Christmas hat on and is entertaining us over the festive period!

Happy Christmas Southy and thank you for your humour during 2012, looking forward to more in 2013.
Ahhhhh Southy has his Christmas hat on and is entertaining us over the festive period! Happy Christmas Southy and thank you for your humour during 2012, looking forward to more in 2013. IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

12:34pm Fri 14 Dec 12

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Torchie1 stop being a jerk and any one will know that all you get with a full header check on youtube is youtube servers and there location, and youtube is bit like wiki post are made by people, but where is a cam recording use, it do tend to give proff what they are on about and weather if there is a real connections and it is a true account or not, like in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey
Peter, WTF are you on about? for someone who has suddenly been blessed with IT skills you don't half spout a lot of garbage.

'like in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey'

Do me a favour, don't apply for any IT sector jobs any time soon. You would be a disgrace to my profession. What am I talking about, you are allergic to work.

It's 'WHETHER' not 'WEATHER' (as in it's raining BS), and you are calling the man a jerk.

And where is this vote in confidence in the government that will see them ousted by the end of the year?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Torchie1 stop being a jerk and any one will know that all you get with a full header check on youtube is youtube servers and there location, and youtube is bit like wiki post are made by people, but where is a cam recording use, it do tend to give proff what they are on about and weather if there is a real connections and it is a true account or not, like in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey[/p][/quote]Peter, WTF are you on about? for someone who has suddenly been blessed with IT skills you don't half spout a lot of garbage. 'like in this case its a true account because you have MP's you can see there faces and voices in this government inquirey' Do me a favour, don't apply for any IT sector jobs any time soon. You would be a disgrace to my profession. What am I talking about, you are allergic to work. It's 'WHETHER' not 'WEATHER' (as in it's raining BS), and you are calling the man a jerk. And where is this vote in confidence in the government that will see them ousted by the end of the year? Shoong
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree