Investigation after toddler is slapped in Southampton street

Shirley High Street, in Southampton

Shirley High Street, in Southampton

First published in News

Police are investigating after a woman reportedly slapped a toddler across the face on a busy Hampshire street.

Officers say that several people have come forward to report the assault on the boy, which happened on Shirley High Street.

Witnesses have told the police that the woman was shouting at the toddler before hitting him across the face – causing him to cry out in pain.

It's understood that several members of the public remonstrated with the woman following the incident at around 7.45pm on Friday.

Now police are appealing for any witnesses that have not yet spoken to them to come forward.

The woman is described as white, aged in her twenties, with blonde hair in a ponytail and was wearing a camel coloured Parka-style jacket.

The boy had darker hair and was wearing a duffle coat and wellington boots.

Anyone with information should call Shirley Police Station on 101.

Comments (52)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:06am Mon 7 Jan 13

The Music Man says...

Sadly, it comes as no surprise that this happened on the "Jeremy Kyle Mile".
Sadly, it comes as no surprise that this happened on the "Jeremy Kyle Mile". The Music Man
  • Score: 0

11:17am Mon 7 Jan 13

elvisimo says...

hmm ponytail and parka style jacket - not playing to stereotyes then. Scum bags
hmm ponytail and parka style jacket - not playing to stereotyes then. Scum bags elvisimo
  • Score: 0

11:24am Mon 7 Jan 13

Ginger_cyclist says...

No matter what, you don't ever hit a child AT ALL.
No matter what, you don't ever hit a child AT ALL. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

11:29am Mon 7 Jan 13

MGRA says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
No matter what, you don't ever hit a child AT ALL.
some people would disagree. some people would say there are certain instances where moderate punishment is appropriate, road safety instances for example. I am not saying I agree with that, but many many people still use moderate corporal punishment.
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: No matter what, you don't ever hit a child AT ALL.[/p][/quote]some people would disagree. some people would say there are certain instances where moderate punishment is appropriate, road safety instances for example. I am not saying I agree with that, but many many people still use moderate corporal punishment. MGRA
  • Score: 0

11:37am Mon 7 Jan 13

lorra1 says...

why did no one speak to the culprit if concern was so much so that it was reported to the police as im sure as hell would off, digraceful to witness and not say nothing
why did no one speak to the culprit if concern was so much so that it was reported to the police as im sure as hell would off, digraceful to witness and not say nothing lorra1
  • Score: 0

11:41am Mon 7 Jan 13

rickey says...

Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law. rickey
  • Score: 0

11:42am Mon 7 Jan 13

Keith Oftergrass says...

What colour Camel ?
What colour Camel ? Keith Oftergrass
  • Score: 0

11:50am Mon 7 Jan 13

Reality-man says...

rickey wrote:
Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
I find a good poke in the eye a useful tactic, shuts them up and doesn't leave a mark.
[quote][p][bold]rickey[/bold] wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.[/p][/quote]I find a good poke in the eye a useful tactic, shuts them up and doesn't leave a mark. Reality-man
  • Score: 0

11:51am Mon 7 Jan 13

Rachiebabe says...

rickey wrote:
Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?
[quote][p][bold]rickey[/bold] wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.[/p][/quote]So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ? Rachiebabe
  • Score: 0

12:00pm Mon 7 Jan 13

sotonboy84 says...

Parents should be able to smack their children as long as it's not so hard it will cause damage to the child.

I've been smacked when I was little and the shock more than anything was enough to tell me what I did was wrong and believe me, I didn't do it again.

But then the children, just as much as their parents really are something else down that mutant mile so reason wouldn't really apply…
Parents should be able to smack their children as long as it's not so hard it will cause damage to the child. I've been smacked when I was little and the shock more than anything was enough to tell me what I did was wrong and believe me, I didn't do it again. But then the children, just as much as their parents really are something else down that mutant mile so reason wouldn't really apply… sotonboy84
  • Score: 0

12:00pm Mon 7 Jan 13

S!monOn says...

Rachiebabe wrote:
rickey wrote:
Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?
I don't know the the reasons why this woman felt the need to slap her child in the face, but children these days do need some sort of discipline whilst growing up.


Note: "some sort of discipline" DOESN'T mean "slap child across face" or other physical abuse to children.
[quote][p][bold]Rachiebabe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rickey[/bold] wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.[/p][/quote]So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?[/p][/quote]I don't know the the reasons why this woman felt the need to slap her child in the face, but children these days do need some sort of discipline whilst growing up. Note: "some sort of discipline" DOESN'T mean "slap child across face" or other physical abuse to children. S!monOn
  • Score: 0

12:15pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Donald2000 says...

So people remonstrated with the woman - good for them, I suppose but if violence is done to a child, then the police should be called straight away and if possible the person should be restrained until the arrival of police. Politely saying, hey old girl, I would not do that, is really not going to cut it.

The point is that people don't do this - they don't detain the perpetrator and they tend to walk the other way. That's the society we live in. Don't talk to the perpetrator of violence - either detain them or call the police each and every time. That way, people will not get away with crimes against minors.
So people remonstrated with the woman - good for them, I suppose but if violence is done to a child, then the police should be called straight away and if possible the person should be restrained until the arrival of police. Politely saying, hey old girl, I would not do that, is really not going to cut it. The point is that people don't do this - they don't detain the perpetrator and they tend to walk the other way. That's the society we live in. Don't talk to the perpetrator of violence - either detain them or call the police each and every time. That way, people will not get away with crimes against minors. Donald2000
  • Score: 0

12:25pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Vonnie says...

This incident sounds from the report that the woman behaved badly, and is a bully.

However, in general terms, any onlooker who cannot tell the difference between a parent physically chastising their child for discipline purposes, and child beating, (as this case purports to be) has a problem.
Other animals firmly cuff their offspring when they get out of hand, and humans are animals. The do-gooders of this world have a lot to answer for the undisciplined behaviour of both modern children and young adults.
This incident sounds from the report that the woman behaved badly, and is a bully. However, in general terms, any onlooker who cannot tell the difference between a parent physically chastising their child for discipline purposes, and child beating, (as this case purports to be) has a problem. Other animals firmly cuff their offspring when they get out of hand, and humans are animals. The do-gooders of this world have a lot to answer for the undisciplined behaviour of both modern children and young adults. Vonnie
  • Score: 0

12:32pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Cyber__Fug says...

Reality-man wrote:
rickey wrote:
Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
I find a good poke in the eye a useful tactic, shuts them up and doesn't leave a mark.
I have found that an electronic cattle prod also works well...
[quote][p][bold]Reality-man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rickey[/bold] wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.[/p][/quote]I find a good poke in the eye a useful tactic, shuts them up and doesn't leave a mark.[/p][/quote]I have found that an electronic cattle prod also works well... Cyber__Fug
  • Score: 0

12:35pm Mon 7 Jan 13

hulla baloo says...

Cyber__Fug wrote:
Reality-man wrote:
rickey wrote:
Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
I find a good poke in the eye a useful tactic, shuts them up and doesn't leave a mark.
I have found that an electronic cattle prod also works well...
Do switch it on before you put it to use?
[quote][p][bold]Cyber__Fug[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Reality-man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rickey[/bold] wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.[/p][/quote]I find a good poke in the eye a useful tactic, shuts them up and doesn't leave a mark.[/p][/quote]I have found that an electronic cattle prod also works well...[/p][/quote]Do switch it on before you put it to use? hulla baloo
  • Score: 0

12:50pm Mon 7 Jan 13

SotonGreen says...

The woman clearly lost her temper with the child and resorted to violence as a result of her anger.

This seems to be a clear cut case of assault and the police are quite right to treat it very seriously. Adults have no right to inflict assault on children and there is all the difference in the world between chastisement and assault one very important aspect of which is self-control.
The woman clearly lost her temper with the child and resorted to violence as a result of her anger. This seems to be a clear cut case of assault and the police are quite right to treat it very seriously. Adults have no right to inflict assault on children and there is all the difference in the world between chastisement and assault one very important aspect of which is self-control. SotonGreen
  • Score: 0

12:50pm Mon 7 Jan 13

southy says...

Rachiebabe wrote:
rickey wrote:
Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?
No not the face, back of the legs yes.
[quote][p][bold]Rachiebabe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rickey[/bold] wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.[/p][/quote]So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?[/p][/quote]No not the face, back of the legs yes. southy
  • Score: 0

1:11pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Pandoragolden1 says...

Poor little mite he is only a toddler, out with his mum in his wellie boots he should have been enjoying himself and she should be talking to him and concentrating on him. If he was bored or pulling away from her or endangering himself she should bend down to his level and try to reason with him, there is no acceptability of a smack around the face even if he was in immenent danger that is cruelty and i hope she is found
Poor little mite he is only a toddler, out with his mum in his wellie boots he should have been enjoying himself and she should be talking to him and concentrating on him. If he was bored or pulling away from her or endangering himself she should bend down to his level and try to reason with him, there is no acceptability of a smack around the face even if he was in immenent danger that is cruelty and i hope she is found Pandoragolden1
  • Score: 0

1:34pm Mon 7 Jan 13

-stiv- says...

sotonboy84 wrote:
Parents should be able to smack their children as long as it's not so hard it will cause damage to the child.

I've been smacked when I was little and the shock more than anything was enough to tell me what I did was wrong and believe me, I didn't do it again.

But then the children, just as much as their parents really are something else down that mutant mile so reason wouldn't really apply…
I disagree. I think it turned you into a braindead gobshite who perpetuates outdated, barbaric attitudes on local news websites.
[quote][p][bold]sotonboy84[/bold] wrote: Parents should be able to smack their children as long as it's not so hard it will cause damage to the child. I've been smacked when I was little and the shock more than anything was enough to tell me what I did was wrong and believe me, I didn't do it again. But then the children, just as much as their parents really are something else down that mutant mile so reason wouldn't really apply…[/p][/quote]I disagree. I think it turned you into a braindead gobshite who perpetuates outdated, barbaric attitudes on local news websites. -stiv-
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Brite Spark says...

You bend a tree when it is young.
You bend a tree when it is young. Brite Spark
  • Score: 0

1:36pm Mon 7 Jan 13

-stiv- says...

Vonnie wrote:
This incident sounds from the report that the woman behaved badly, and is a bully.

However, in general terms, any onlooker who cannot tell the difference between a parent physically chastising their child for discipline purposes, and child beating, (as this case purports to be) has a problem.
Other animals firmly cuff their offspring when they get out of hand, and humans are animals. The do-gooders of this world have a lot to answer for the undisciplined behaviour of both modern children and young adults.
I'll "firmly cuff" you if I see you around to "teach you a lesson". For coming out with such ****.

Oh, by the way I'm three times your size.

That's ok though I suppose in your books?
[quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: This incident sounds from the report that the woman behaved badly, and is a bully. However, in general terms, any onlooker who cannot tell the difference between a parent physically chastising their child for discipline purposes, and child beating, (as this case purports to be) has a problem. Other animals firmly cuff their offspring when they get out of hand, and humans are animals. The do-gooders of this world have a lot to answer for the undisciplined behaviour of both modern children and young adults.[/p][/quote]I'll "firmly cuff" you if I see you around to "teach you a lesson". For coming out with such ****. Oh, by the way I'm three times your size. That's ok though I suppose in your books? -stiv-
  • Score: 0

1:37pm Mon 7 Jan 13

-stiv- says...

Brite Spark wrote:
You bend a tree when it is young.
Buy being a good, caring and attentive parent.
[quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: You bend a tree when it is young.[/p][/quote]Buy being a good, caring and attentive parent. -stiv-
  • Score: 0

1:41pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Lazy skier says...

The Music Man wrote:
Sadly, it comes as no surprise that this happened on the "Jeremy Kyle Mile".
You mean the Mutant Mile? Although the Jeremy Kyle Mile has a certain ring to it
[quote][p][bold]The Music Man[/bold] wrote: Sadly, it comes as no surprise that this happened on the "Jeremy Kyle Mile".[/p][/quote]You mean the Mutant Mile? Although the Jeremy Kyle Mile has a certain ring to it Lazy skier
  • Score: 0

2:41pm Mon 7 Jan 13

s e reader says...

Toddler? 7.45pm? Shouldn't he have been in bed asleep?
Toddler? 7.45pm? Shouldn't he have been in bed asleep? s e reader
  • Score: 0

2:52pm Mon 7 Jan 13

-stiv- says...

southy wrote:
Rachiebabe wrote:
rickey wrote:
Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?
No not the face, back of the legs yes.
I've got two children. Do you know the amount of times I've needed to hit them?

a

big

fat

****

zero

Anyone that hits a child is a piece of ****. All you're doing is teaching a child it's acceptable to use violence and physical force to solve problems or get what they want.

It's lazy, bullying parenting. Go read a book or speak to anyone who knows the first thing about raising children.

Half you people complain that somethings wrong with the youth of today. Judging by the opinions of some of you, it's no wonder. Hey maybe the kids just weren't smacked enough?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rachiebabe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rickey[/bold] wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.[/p][/quote]So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?[/p][/quote]No not the face, back of the legs yes.[/p][/quote]I've got two children. Do you know the amount of times I've needed to hit them? a big fat **** zero Anyone that hits a child is a piece of ****. All you're doing is teaching a child it's acceptable to use violence and physical force to solve problems or get what they want. It's lazy, bullying parenting. Go read a book or speak to anyone who knows the first thing about raising children. Half you people complain that somethings wrong with the youth of today. Judging by the opinions of some of you, it's no wonder. Hey maybe the kids just weren't smacked enough? -stiv-
  • Score: 0

3:05pm Mon 7 Jan 13

southy says...

-stiv- wrote:
southy wrote:
Rachiebabe wrote:
rickey wrote:
Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?
No not the face, back of the legs yes.
I've got two children. Do you know the amount of times I've needed to hit them?

a

big

fat

****

zero

Anyone that hits a child is a piece of ****. All you're doing is teaching a child it's acceptable to use violence and physical force to solve problems or get what they want.

It's lazy, bullying parenting. Go read a book or speak to anyone who knows the first thing about raising children.

Half you people complain that somethings wrong with the youth of today. Judging by the opinions of some of you, it's no wonder. Hey maybe the kids just weren't smacked enough?
There are no child experts, its some thing you got to learn your self in time, and how to deal with it, and those that have raised 2 or more children should know and again it some thing a parent will learn each child will grow up differentlly, one way might work for one child but will not work for another child.
All child books can do for you is give you guide lines and different options to work by, a number of child books say a slap on the back of the legs for the some cases and never to the head.
[quote][p][bold]-stiv-[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rachiebabe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rickey[/bold] wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.[/p][/quote]So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?[/p][/quote]No not the face, back of the legs yes.[/p][/quote]I've got two children. Do you know the amount of times I've needed to hit them? a big fat **** zero Anyone that hits a child is a piece of ****. All you're doing is teaching a child it's acceptable to use violence and physical force to solve problems or get what they want. It's lazy, bullying parenting. Go read a book or speak to anyone who knows the first thing about raising children. Half you people complain that somethings wrong with the youth of today. Judging by the opinions of some of you, it's no wonder. Hey maybe the kids just weren't smacked enough?[/p][/quote]There are no child experts, its some thing you got to learn your self in time, and how to deal with it, and those that have raised 2 or more children should know and again it some thing a parent will learn each child will grow up differentlly, one way might work for one child but will not work for another child. All child books can do for you is give you guide lines and different options to work by, a number of child books say a slap on the back of the legs for the some cases and never to the head. southy
  • Score: 0

3:38pm Mon 7 Jan 13

originalsfc says...

If she was speaking english it would narrow the hunt down somewhat............
.if polish then a needle in haystack for Shirley nowdays.
If she was speaking english it would narrow the hunt down somewhat............ .if polish then a needle in haystack for Shirley nowdays. originalsfc
  • Score: 0

4:41pm Mon 7 Jan 13

sotonboy84 says...

-stiv- wrote:
sotonboy84 wrote: Parents should be able to smack their children as long as it's not so hard it will cause damage to the child. I've been smacked when I was little and the shock more than anything was enough to tell me what I did was wrong and believe me, I didn't do it again. But then the children, just as much as their parents really are something else down that mutant mile so reason wouldn't really apply…
I disagree. I think it turned you into a braindead gobshite who perpetuates outdated, barbaric attitudes on local news websites.
Go eat glass.
[quote][p][bold]-stiv-[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonboy84[/bold] wrote: Parents should be able to smack their children as long as it's not so hard it will cause damage to the child. I've been smacked when I was little and the shock more than anything was enough to tell me what I did was wrong and believe me, I didn't do it again. But then the children, just as much as their parents really are something else down that mutant mile so reason wouldn't really apply…[/p][/quote]I disagree. I think it turned you into a braindead gobshite who perpetuates outdated, barbaric attitudes on local news websites.[/p][/quote]Go eat glass. sotonboy84
  • Score: 0

4:44pm Mon 7 Jan 13

sotonboy84 says...

-stiv- wrote:
southy wrote:
Rachiebabe wrote:
rickey wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?
No not the face, back of the legs yes.
I've got two children. Do you know the amount of times I've needed to hit them? a big fat **** zero Anyone that hits a child is a piece of ****. All you're doing is teaching a child it's acceptable to use violence and physical force to solve problems or get what they want. It's lazy, bullying parenting. Go read a book or speak to anyone who knows the first thing about raising children. Half you people complain that somethings wrong with the youth of today. Judging by the opinions of some of you, it's no wonder. Hey maybe the kids just weren't smacked enough?
Completely agree. All the insults you've dished out aside, the most sensible thing you've said.

Kids aren't smacked enough, hence the youth of today.
[quote][p][bold]-stiv-[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rachiebabe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rickey[/bold] wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.[/p][/quote]So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?[/p][/quote]No not the face, back of the legs yes.[/p][/quote]I've got two children. Do you know the amount of times I've needed to hit them? a big fat **** zero Anyone that hits a child is a piece of ****. All you're doing is teaching a child it's acceptable to use violence and physical force to solve problems or get what they want. It's lazy, bullying parenting. Go read a book or speak to anyone who knows the first thing about raising children. Half you people complain that somethings wrong with the youth of today. Judging by the opinions of some of you, it's no wonder. Hey maybe the kids just weren't smacked enough?[/p][/quote]Completely agree. All the insults you've dished out aside, the most sensible thing you've said. Kids aren't smacked enough, hence the youth of today. sotonboy84
  • Score: 0

4:44pm Mon 7 Jan 13

peach27 says...

Ive told the police on numerous times about a guy in eastleigh to smacks his kids in the street and calls them c#?ts loads of people know him and what hes like but the police do nothing about it. Ive even contacted social services.
Ive told the police on numerous times about a guy in eastleigh to smacks his kids in the street and calls them c#?ts loads of people know him and what hes like but the police do nothing about it. Ive even contacted social services. peach27
  • Score: 0

5:01pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Brite Spark says...

peach27 wrote:
Ive told the police on numerous times about a guy in eastleigh to smacks his kids in the street and calls them c#?ts loads of people know him and what hes like but the police do nothing about it. Ive even contacted social services.
Well it IS Eastleigh what do you expect?
And in other news - if kids don't learn to behave after numerous warnings, give them a kick up the backside. Coppers used to be able to 'scud' kids who'd been naughty, now they'd get charged with assault! I'm not saying the woman in Shirley was right she wasn't, but maybe if she had been taught a bit of discipline as a kid this wouldn't have happened.
[quote][p][bold]peach27[/bold] wrote: Ive told the police on numerous times about a guy in eastleigh to smacks his kids in the street and calls them c#?ts loads of people know him and what hes like but the police do nothing about it. Ive even contacted social services.[/p][/quote]Well it IS Eastleigh what do you expect? And in other news - if kids don't learn to behave after numerous warnings, give them a kick up the backside. Coppers used to be able to 'scud' kids who'd been naughty, now they'd get charged with assault! I'm not saying the woman in Shirley was right she wasn't, but maybe if she had been taught a bit of discipline as a kid this wouldn't have happened. Brite Spark
  • Score: 0

5:09pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Outside of the Box says...

Lazy skier wrote:
The Music Man wrote:
Sadly, it comes as no surprise that this happened on the "Jeremy Kyle Mile".
You mean the Mutant Mile? Although the Jeremy Kyle Mile has a certain ring to it
Slapped a child on the Mutant Mile next she'll be on Jermey Kyle with her toothless smile, pleading that she's not the vile.
[quote][p][bold]Lazy skier[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Music Man[/bold] wrote: Sadly, it comes as no surprise that this happened on the "Jeremy Kyle Mile".[/p][/quote]You mean the Mutant Mile? Although the Jeremy Kyle Mile has a certain ring to it[/p][/quote]Slapped a child on the Mutant Mile next she'll be on Jermey Kyle with her toothless smile, pleading that she's not the vile. Outside of the Box
  • Score: 0

5:21pm Mon 7 Jan 13

kingnotail says...

sotonboy84 wrote:
Parents should be able to smack their children as long as it's not so hard it will cause damage to the child.

I've been smacked when I was little and the shock more than anything was enough to tell me what I did was wrong and believe me, I didn't do it again.

But then the children, just as much as their parents really are something else down that mutant mile so reason wouldn't really apply…
'Mutant mile'? You could just as easily call the whole of Southampton 'the mutant city', it's hardly like Shirley is that much worse than the rest of it.
[quote][p][bold]sotonboy84[/bold] wrote: Parents should be able to smack their children as long as it's not so hard it will cause damage to the child. I've been smacked when I was little and the shock more than anything was enough to tell me what I did was wrong and believe me, I didn't do it again. But then the children, just as much as their parents really are something else down that mutant mile so reason wouldn't really apply…[/p][/quote]'Mutant mile'? You could just as easily call the whole of Southampton 'the mutant city', it's hardly like Shirley is that much worse than the rest of it. kingnotail
  • Score: 0

6:05pm Mon 7 Jan 13

ConcernedOfTotton says...

What punishment would you give this Woman that will not harm the child?
What punishment would you give this Woman that will not harm the child? ConcernedOfTotton
  • Score: 0

6:17pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Donald2000 says...

southy wrote:
Rachiebabe wrote:
rickey wrote:
Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?
No not the face, back of the legs yes.
Perhaps either of you good people might think that it's not a good idea to touch a child at all in any way, whether you mark them or not? It is perfectly possible to bring children up in a loving way without ever chastising them.

I know this is a bit beyond a lot of the people in Southampton but let's try and be a bit enlightened out there....
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rachiebabe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rickey[/bold] wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.[/p][/quote]So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?[/p][/quote]No not the face, back of the legs yes.[/p][/quote]Perhaps either of you good people might think that it's not a good idea to touch a child at all in any way, whether you mark them or not? It is perfectly possible to bring children up in a loving way without ever chastising them. I know this is a bit beyond a lot of the people in Southampton but let's try and be a bit enlightened out there.... Donald2000
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Outside of the Box says...

ConcernedOfTotton wrote:
What punishment would you give this Woman that will not harm the child?
Just slap the slapper.
[quote][p][bold]ConcernedOfTotton[/bold] wrote: What punishment would you give this Woman that will not harm the child?[/p][/quote]Just slap the slapper. Outside of the Box
  • Score: 0

6:52pm Mon 7 Jan 13

dolomiteman says...

ConcernedOfTotton wrote:
What punishment would you give this Woman that will not harm the child?
At the very least the police or if needed social services need to find out what caused or led to her slapping the child Im not saying that she was right in doing that but she may not realise how bad her actions were if she is or was being abused herself she may beleive her actions are normal behaviour and therefore need help herself . people are also assuming it is her own child which may not be the case.
This woman needs finding and quickly
There are CCTV cameras along Shirley high street and in most shops so why have the police not yet identified her or given a better discription?
[quote][p][bold]ConcernedOfTotton[/bold] wrote: What punishment would you give this Woman that will not harm the child?[/p][/quote]At the very least the police or if needed social services need to find out what caused or led to her slapping the child Im not saying that she was right in doing that but she may not realise how bad her actions were if she is or was being abused herself she may beleive her actions are normal behaviour and therefore need help herself . people are also assuming it is her own child which may not be the case. This woman needs finding and quickly There are CCTV cameras along Shirley high street and in most shops so why have the police not yet identified her or given a better discription? dolomiteman
  • Score: 0

7:01pm Mon 7 Jan 13

mickey01 says...

i have been smacked as a child and i have also smacked my kids but there is smacking and smacking and i feel that if some of the youths today were given a bit of correction without the do gooders putting their oar in then perhaps people could walk the streets at night without the fear of being attacked by the you cant touch me brigade that we seem to have brought up these days
i have been smacked as a child and i have also smacked my kids but there is smacking and smacking and i feel that if some of the youths today were given a bit of correction without the do gooders putting their oar in then perhaps people could walk the streets at night without the fear of being attacked by the you cant touch me brigade that we seem to have brought up these days mickey01
  • Score: 0

7:36pm Mon 7 Jan 13

-stiv- says...

God help us. Southampton, and probably society at large is completely fuČked judging by the attitudes on here. This is actually pretty scary.
God help us. Southampton, and probably society at large is completely fuČked judging by the attitudes on here. This is actually pretty scary. -stiv-
  • Score: 0

7:48pm Mon 7 Jan 13

RudolphHucker says...

I was often flouted for swearing as a nipper. Shame you weren't Stiv!!
I was often flouted for swearing as a nipper. Shame you weren't Stiv!! RudolphHucker
  • Score: 0

8:06pm Mon 7 Jan 13

-stiv- says...

RudolphHucker wrote:
I was often flouted for swearing as a nipper. Shame you weren't Stiv!!
Yeah, because that would've solved the worlds problems.

Sounds like you've all had more than a few brain cells beaten out of you.
[quote][p][bold]RudolphHucker[/bold] wrote: I was often flouted for swearing as a nipper. Shame you weren't Stiv!![/p][/quote]Yeah, because that would've solved the worlds problems. Sounds like you've all had more than a few brain cells beaten out of you. -stiv-
  • Score: 0

8:19pm Mon 7 Jan 13

gazdance says...

What!!? You shouldn't smack children? It's a clear cut case of assault? What!!? Has the world gone mad?

Obviously, and it really goes without saying, it is not acceptable to beat children and cause them harm but lawful chastisement for discipline purposes is fine and 100% acceptable.

If I was the woman, I'd have told the nosey do-gooders to get lost and mind their own business. That's what a number of people on here need to be told.

If I ever have kids and they need a clip around the ear for back chatting or misbehaving, that's exactly what they'll get.

Waste of police time - someone should have the balls to tell the complainers so.
What!!? You shouldn't smack children? It's a clear cut case of assault? What!!? Has the world gone mad? Obviously, and it really goes without saying, it is not acceptable to beat children and cause them harm but lawful chastisement for discipline purposes is fine and 100% acceptable. If I was the woman, I'd have told the nosey do-gooders to get lost and mind their own business. That's what a number of people on here need to be told. If I ever have kids and they need a clip around the ear for back chatting or misbehaving, that's exactly what they'll get. Waste of police time - someone should have the balls to tell the complainers so. gazdance
  • Score: 0

8:29pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Turtlebay says...

Rachiebabe wrote:
rickey wrote:
Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.
So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?
According to the law, yes. Got a problem with that?

If more parents used it there wouldn't be the major problems with youths that exists today. Thank the namby pamby, no smacking brigade!
[quote][p][bold]Rachiebabe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rickey[/bold] wrote: Parents can legally smack their children as long as it does not leave a mark. That's the current law.[/p][/quote]So it's ok to slep your toddler round the face as long as you don't mark him ?[/p][/quote]According to the law, yes. Got a problem with that? If more parents used it there wouldn't be the major problems with youths that exists today. Thank the namby pamby, no smacking brigade! Turtlebay
  • Score: 0

8:52pm Mon 7 Jan 13

Here, There says...

I believe the time of night is what dictates the behaviour of the woman, you can bet she was either in one oof the pubs along the stretch or in alike minded friends flat/bedsit drinkingand the only reason she could not continue until in a drunken stupor was because of her child and the misplaced sense of responsibilty held. I see nothing wrong with 'a smack up the ear' if warranted, however, in this day and age it is normally done by those whose judgements are clouded by drink or drugs, as a child I got a wallop a) because the punishment fitted the crime and b) because remonstrating didn't work..at all times it was carried out by a Parent in sobriety and was, in my opinion, never excessive..Investiga
te by all means and if I am wrong in my assumptions then I apologise but the circumstances suggest different ! But some are able to discipline in 'the old way' without harm to their children both mentally and physically.
I believe the time of night is what dictates the behaviour of the woman, you can bet she was either in one oof the pubs along the stretch or in alike minded friends flat/bedsit drinkingand the only reason she could not continue until in a drunken stupor was because of her child and the misplaced sense of responsibilty held. I see nothing wrong with 'a smack up the ear' if warranted, however, in this day and age it is normally done by those whose judgements are clouded by drink or drugs, as a child I got a wallop a) because the punishment fitted the crime and b) because remonstrating didn't work..at all times it was carried out by a Parent in sobriety and was, in my opinion, never excessive..Investiga te by all means and if I am wrong in my assumptions then I apologise but the circumstances suggest different ! But some are able to discipline in 'the old way' without harm to their children both mentally and physically. Here, There
  • Score: 0

9:41am Tue 8 Jan 13

S!monOn says...

-stiv- wrote:
RudolphHucker wrote:
I was often flouted for swearing as a nipper. Shame you weren't Stiv!!
Yeah, because that would've solved the worlds problems.

Sounds like you've all had more than a few brain cells beaten out of you.
It could have beaten some sense into you. Then, maybe, you wouldn't abuse people so much when they don't agree with your opinion.
[quote][p][bold]-stiv-[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RudolphHucker[/bold] wrote: I was often flouted for swearing as a nipper. Shame you weren't Stiv!![/p][/quote]Yeah, because that would've solved the worlds problems. Sounds like you've all had more than a few brain cells beaten out of you.[/p][/quote]It could have beaten some sense into you. Then, maybe, you wouldn't abuse people so much when they don't agree with your opinion. S!monOn
  • Score: 0

1:05pm Tue 8 Jan 13

Pikey-Biker says...

-stiv- wrote:
Just carry on beating children everyone! No, it's fine because you obviously all know best. Every time you beat your kids. I hope a massive bloke, lets say a bouncer gives you a smack as well. That's only fair surely? As long as he's decided you deserve it then its fine right? Well guess what? The woman in the article believed her little one "deserved" it too. Her own little baby for fuČks sake. If you think your kids deserve a smack, these are the things you're doing wrong: 1. You are raising your child to believe violence is ok. 2. You are raising your child to believe violence committed by someone much bigger, stronger and in a position of power over someone smaller and weaker is ok. 3. You actually want to and are prepared to inflict physical pain on a child. Your own child at that. 4. You're too lazy to bring up your child the hard way. By being a kind, attentive parent and using discipline by explaining why their behaviour is wrong. Rewarding good behaviour by positive reinforcement is regarded by EXPERTS i.e people who have the first fuČking clue what they are talking about, to be far more effective in modifying behaviour. There's a reason attitudes are changing. Just look at all the things we're leaving behind. The attitudes and opinions of your grandparents. Were they right just because that's the way things were done in the old days? Racism, Sexism, Beating children, smoking yourself to death. No, we're leaving all that behind for a reason. Things were worse in the old days. We've never had it so good. But no, you all carry in looking back wistfully on a time where you could beat children without being judged. Just stop passing down your dark aged beliefs on the next generation, and so on, and so on. You are the reason you see the youth of today as being out of control. Because nobody gives a fuČk about them, and everybody believes that the best solution is a good beating. and you all sit wallowing in your own ignorance and congratulating yourselves about it. FUČK YOU ALL.
you 'might' have made a valid point until you spoilt it....the ending sort of invalidates the rest of your post..my advice is edit it and submit it again
[quote][p][bold]-stiv-[/bold] wrote: Just carry on beating children everyone! No, it's fine because you obviously all know best. Every time you beat your kids. I hope a massive bloke, lets say a bouncer gives you a smack as well. That's only fair surely? As long as he's decided you deserve it then its fine right? Well guess what? The woman in the article believed her little one "deserved" it too. Her own little baby for fuČks sake. If you think your kids deserve a smack, these are the things you're doing wrong: 1. You are raising your child to believe violence is ok. 2. You are raising your child to believe violence committed by someone much bigger, stronger and in a position of power over someone smaller and weaker is ok. 3. You actually want to and are prepared to inflict physical pain on a child. Your own child at that. 4. You're too lazy to bring up your child the hard way. By being a kind, attentive parent and using discipline by explaining why their behaviour is wrong. Rewarding good behaviour by positive reinforcement is regarded by EXPERTS i.e people who have the first fuČking clue what they are talking about, to be far more effective in modifying behaviour. There's a reason attitudes are changing. Just look at all the things we're leaving behind. The attitudes and opinions of your grandparents. Were they right just because that's the way things were done in the old days? Racism, Sexism, Beating children, smoking yourself to death. No, we're leaving all that behind for a reason. Things were worse in the old days. We've never had it so good. But no, you all carry in looking back wistfully on a time where you could beat children without being judged. Just stop passing down your dark aged beliefs on the next generation, and so on, and so on. You are the reason you see the youth of today as being out of control. Because nobody gives a fuČk about them, and everybody believes that the best solution is a good beating. and you all sit wallowing in your own ignorance and congratulating yourselves about it. FUČK YOU ALL.[/p][/quote]you 'might' have made a valid point until you spoilt it....the ending sort of invalidates the rest of your post..my advice is edit it and submit it again Pikey-Biker
  • Score: 0

1:53pm Tue 8 Jan 13

Mary80 says...

I misbehaved bad as a child yet not ONCE was slapped and i've grown up to be a mature well adjusted human being
I misbehaved bad as a child yet not ONCE was slapped and i've grown up to be a mature well adjusted human being Mary80
  • Score: 0

7:31pm Tue 8 Jan 13

J.P.M says...

My dog is brown, with a white mark on his right ear
My dog is brown, with a white mark on his right ear J.P.M
  • Score: 0

2:26am Wed 9 Jan 13

LeeB1900 says...

Hdg end mo wrote:
Shirley warren single mother?
Do you think Hedge End (which itwould end!!!!!) is any better? Hedge End has a very high rate of burglaries - much higher rate of vehicle theft and all in all an absolute scum part of the County. I don't live in Shirley Warren but Id rather live there than Hedge End given the statistics on Hampshire Police's website.
[quote][p][bold]Hdg end mo[/bold] wrote: Shirley warren single mother?[/p][/quote]Do you think Hedge End (which itwould end!!!!!) is any better? Hedge End has a very high rate of burglaries - much higher rate of vehicle theft and all in all an absolute scum part of the County. I don't live in Shirley Warren but Id rather live there than Hedge End given the statistics on Hampshire Police's website. LeeB1900
  • Score: 0

6:33am Wed 9 Jan 13

Pikey-Biker says...

Is the fact Hedge End is bigger than shirley warren a factor?
Is the fact Hedge End is bigger than shirley warren a factor? Pikey-Biker
  • Score: 0

8:42am Wed 9 Jan 13

Raxx says...

-stiv- wrote:
Just carry on beating children everyone! No, it's fine because you obviously all know best.

Every time you beat your kids. I hope a massive bloke, lets say a bouncer gives you a smack as well. That's only fair surely?

As long as he's decided you deserve it then its fine right? Well guess what? The woman in the article believed her little one "deserved" it too. Her own little baby for fuČks sake.

If you think your kids deserve a smack, these are the things you're doing wrong:

1. You are raising your child to believe violence is ok.

2. You are raising your child to believe violence committed by someone much bigger, stronger and in a position of power over someone smaller and weaker is ok.

3. You actually want to and are prepared to inflict physical pain on a child. Your own child at that.

4. You're too lazy to bring up your child the hard way. By being a kind, attentive parent and using discipline by explaining why their behaviour is wrong. Rewarding good behaviour by positive reinforcement is regarded by EXPERTS i.e people who have the first fuČking clue what they are talking about, to be far more effective in modifying behaviour.



There's a reason attitudes are changing. Just look at all the things we're leaving behind. The attitudes and opinions of your grandparents. Were they right just because that's the way things were done in the old days?

Racism, Sexism, Beating children, smoking yourself to death.

No, we're leaving all that behind for a reason. Things were worse in the old days. We've never had it so good.

But no, you all carry in looking back wistfully on a time where you could beat children without being judged.

Just stop passing down your dark aged beliefs on the next generation, and so on, and so on.

You are the reason you see the youth of today as being out of control. Because nobody gives a fuČk about them, and everybody believes that the best solution is a good beating.

and you all sit wallowing in your own ignorance and congratulating yourselves about it.

FUČK YOU ALL.
Went off the deep end at the dénouement a bit there old chap!

But... I totally agree with the meat of what you're saying.
[quote][p][bold]-stiv-[/bold] wrote: Just carry on beating children everyone! No, it's fine because you obviously all know best. Every time you beat your kids. I hope a massive bloke, lets say a bouncer gives you a smack as well. That's only fair surely? As long as he's decided you deserve it then its fine right? Well guess what? The woman in the article believed her little one "deserved" it too. Her own little baby for fuČks sake. If you think your kids deserve a smack, these are the things you're doing wrong: 1. You are raising your child to believe violence is ok. 2. You are raising your child to believe violence committed by someone much bigger, stronger and in a position of power over someone smaller and weaker is ok. 3. You actually want to and are prepared to inflict physical pain on a child. Your own child at that. 4. You're too lazy to bring up your child the hard way. By being a kind, attentive parent and using discipline by explaining why their behaviour is wrong. Rewarding good behaviour by positive reinforcement is regarded by EXPERTS i.e people who have the first fuČking clue what they are talking about, to be far more effective in modifying behaviour. There's a reason attitudes are changing. Just look at all the things we're leaving behind. The attitudes and opinions of your grandparents. Were they right just because that's the way things were done in the old days? Racism, Sexism, Beating children, smoking yourself to death. No, we're leaving all that behind for a reason. Things were worse in the old days. We've never had it so good. But no, you all carry in looking back wistfully on a time where you could beat children without being judged. Just stop passing down your dark aged beliefs on the next generation, and so on, and so on. You are the reason you see the youth of today as being out of control. Because nobody gives a fuČk about them, and everybody believes that the best solution is a good beating. and you all sit wallowing in your own ignorance and congratulating yourselves about it. FUČK YOU ALL.[/p][/quote]Went off the deep end at the dénouement a bit there old chap! But... I totally agree with the meat of what you're saying. Raxx
  • Score: 0

8:58am Thu 10 Jan 13

Raxx says...

As the saying goes:


"Don't hit children.

They have guns these days."
As the saying goes: "Don't hit children. They have guns these days." Raxx
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree