When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Police hunt fuel thieves who have struck 15 times
4:40pm Saturday 26th January 2013 in News
Since the beginning of December, 15 cars have had petrol stolen from them in the East Hampshire area.
The fuel tanks have been drilled to enable the offender to drain the tank of petrol.
The incidents have been occurring in secluded areas near to the A32 between West Meon and Alton including the following:
- Overnight on January 17 the petrol was drained from a Peugeot 106 and a Ford Fiesta parked in a communal car park at Reeds Meadow, Petersfield.
- January 12 and January 14 petrol was drained from a Saab 93 parked in Sun Lane, Alresford.
- January 7 and January 16 a Kia Rio was targeted in Beacon Hill Lane, Exton.
- December 27 to January 4 a Fiat 500 was targeted in Spain Lane, Alton
- December 31 to January 4 a Ford Fiesta in Gosport Road, Alton
- December 30 to January 3 a Volkswagen Golf in Sages Lane, Alton
- December 30 to December 31 a Ford Focus and Volkswagen Polo in Sages Lane, Alton
A variety of makes and models are being targeted in order to steal whatever petrol is in the tank.
PC Amy Smith from Alton police station said: "I would like to speak to anyone with information about these incidents.
"The offenders are not only taking fuel from the victim's but their actions are resulting in significant repair bills.
"These offences are happening at night and I would ask people to be extra vigilant and to report any suspicious activity to us."