Police are hunting two people who attacked and robbed a frail pensioner woman as she rode her mobility scooter.
The woman, who suffers from heart and lung problems, was targeted as she made her way to the Tesco Express store in Watson Walk, Totton.
The 71-year-old was approached by two people, one of whom struck her in the face causing severe bruising.
His accomplice - a woman aged 18-20 - reached into the scooter's front basket and removed a money bag containing more than £60 in notes and small change.
Police say the victim was left “traumatised” by the robbery, which occurred yesterday afternoon.
Detective Sergeant Matt Taylor said: “The circumstances of this incident are shocking. A 71-year-old woman on her mobility scooter was attacked and robbed, leaving her so shaken that she didn't realise she had been robbed until she returned home.
“The busy footpath is used by local residents to take their children to and from school. There could also have been a number of students in the area.”
The man who assaulted the pensioner is described as 5ft 8in, well built, with a ring through his bottom lip.
He was wearing a grey hooded top with the hood up, gloves with writing on the back, and black motorcycle boots. He spoke with a foreign accent.
For more crime stories
- VIDEO AND PHOTOS: CCTV footage shows £212,000 armed robbers being arrested after car chase
- PHOTOS: 35 homes hit in one week as police deal with soaring levels of burglaries
- VIDEO AND PHOTOS: Saints fan "could have died" after vicious gang attack
- Security stepped up at abbey after suspected arson attack
- PHOTOS: Armed robbers who targeted jewellers set to be sentenced
- VIDEO AND PHOTOS: Teens who left Saints fan in coma 'behaved like pack of jackals'
- VIDEO AND PHOTOS: Two teenage boys arrested after suspected arson attack at church
- Man disqualified after driving at 77mph in a 40mph zone