When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Pair fled from building after hearing smoke alarm
A COUPLE are lucky to be alive today after fire engulfed their mobile home.
The pair were alerted to a blaze after a smoke alarm went off close to midnight last night and fled the building as flames took hold.
Fire crews rushed to the scene in Knightcrest Park, in the New Forest village of Everton and used hose reels and breathing apparatus.
Investigators believe the fire started in a dishwasher in the kitchen of the single-storey mobile home.
A Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “The smoke alarm, which had been fitted by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service, gave the occupiers a very early warning about the fire and gave them time to escape their home before it escalated.
"As the owners of this property discovered, properly fitted alarms are lifesaving devices and people should fit at least one on each level of their home.”
Comments are closed on this article.