When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
UKIP beat Conservatives into second place in Eastleigh as Lib Dems win again
2:37am Friday 1st March 2013 in News
Securing 32 per cent of the vote the Liberal Democrats were celebrating retaining the seat vacated by disgraced former MP Chris Huhne.
In his victory speech he told the crowd: "we can do it, we have done it and we will do it again."
He said he would focus on being a hard working constituency MP.
He added:"it is strong signal of support for Nick Clegg and a huge boost to his government, mission in government.
Mr Thornton said: "The people of Eastleigh recognise that here the Liberal Democrats have always had a superb record of delivery.
"We have always listened to what people want and always made sure we did a good job extremely well."
- See how the by-election drama unfolded - click here
- Meet the new Eastleigh MP - click here
- Wife overwhelmed by victory - click here
- The night UKIP almost took centre stage - click here
- The full list of results from by-election - click here