Pilot came off runway on only second flight

Daily Echo: Pilot came off runway on only second flight Pilot came off runway on only second flight

A LIGHT aircraft veered off a runway after a student pilot made an attempt to land on only his second solo flight.

The 1970s propeller plane left the landing strip “with significant power applied” amid 10 knot cross winds at Lee-on-the-Solent airfield.

The 37-year-old pilot was eventually able to bring the Piper Cherokee Warrior to a rest after the nose leg collapsed.

A report into the incident, on July 17, says that despite the pilot applying the right rudder pedal, the aircraft travelled 80metres to the east before it came to a stop.

A probe by the Air Accident Investigation Branch said he student “acknowledged that his inexperience was a probable factor” – but could not account for the aircraft’s failure to respond to his use of the rudder pedal.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:50am Fri 29 Nov 13

Lockssmart says...

How can you soar with eagles when you work with turkey's?
How can you soar with eagles when you work with turkey's? Lockssmart
  • Score: -3

11:01am Fri 29 Nov 13

Brite Spark says...

10 miles per hour gentle breeze crosswinds how very dangerous!!
10 miles per hour gentle breeze crosswinds how very dangerous!! Brite Spark
  • Score: -6

11:12am Fri 29 Nov 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Brite Spark wrote:
10 miles per hour gentle breeze crosswinds how very dangerous!!
You are an expert on crosswinds?
I suggest you read the full report at:-
http://www.aaib.gov.
uk/cms_resources.cfm
?file=/AAIB%20Bullet
in%2011-2013.pdf
Page 31 will give you the full story.
No need for uninformed comments.
[quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: 10 miles per hour gentle breeze crosswinds how very dangerous!![/p][/quote]You are an expert on crosswinds? I suggest you read the full report at:- http://www.aaib.gov. uk/cms_resources.cfm ?file=/AAIB%20Bullet in%2011-2013.pdf Page 31 will give you the full story. No need for uninformed comments. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 4

12:44pm Fri 29 Nov 13

Brite Spark says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Brite Spark wrote:
10 miles per hour gentle breeze crosswinds how very dangerous!!
You are an expert on crosswinds?
I suggest you read the full report at:-
http://www.aaib.gov.

uk/cms_resources.cfm

?file=/AAIB%20Bullet

in%2011-2013.pdf
Page 31 will give you the full story.
No need for uninformed comments.
You really are a complete pleb.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: 10 miles per hour gentle breeze crosswinds how very dangerous!![/p][/quote]You are an expert on crosswinds? I suggest you read the full report at:- http://www.aaib.gov. uk/cms_resources.cfm ?file=/AAIB%20Bullet in%2011-2013.pdf Page 31 will give you the full story. No need for uninformed comments.[/p][/quote]You really are a complete pleb. Brite Spark
  • Score: -3

12:47pm Fri 29 Nov 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Brite Spark wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Brite Spark wrote:
10 miles per hour gentle breeze crosswinds how very dangerous!!
You are an expert on crosswinds?
I suggest you read the full report at:-
http://www.aaib.gov.


uk/cms_resources.cfm


?file=/AAIB%20Bullet


in%2011-2013.pdf
Page 31 will give you the full story.
No need for uninformed comments.
You really are a complete pleb.
Thank you, so kind.
[quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: 10 miles per hour gentle breeze crosswinds how very dangerous!![/p][/quote]You are an expert on crosswinds? I suggest you read the full report at:- http://www.aaib.gov. uk/cms_resources.cfm ?file=/AAIB%20Bullet in%2011-2013.pdf Page 31 will give you the full story. No need for uninformed comments.[/p][/quote]You really are a complete pleb.[/p][/quote]Thank you, so kind. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 2

1:10pm Fri 29 Nov 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Lockssmart wrote:
How can you soar with eagles when you work with turkey's?
I don't know, what is the answer?
[quote][p][bold]Lockssmart[/bold] wrote: How can you soar with eagles when you work with turkey's?[/p][/quote]I don't know, what is the answer? OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 3

1:17pm Fri 29 Nov 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Dictionary definition.
Pleb: = 1. an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes.
That's me. but I am working my way up the Social Ladder.
Dictionary definition. Pleb: = 1. an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes. That's me. but I am working my way up the Social Ladder. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 2

3:21pm Fri 29 Nov 13

From the sidelines says...

Lockssmart wrote:
How can you soar with eagles when you work with turkey's?
Is that the sort of turkey who incorrectly inserts a possessive apostrophe in a plural?


I'll get back to my soaring.
[quote][p][bold]Lockssmart[/bold] wrote: How can you soar with eagles when you work with turkey's?[/p][/quote]Is that the sort of turkey who incorrectly inserts a possessive apostrophe in a plural? I'll get back to my soaring. From the sidelines
  • Score: -5

7:34pm Fri 29 Nov 13

memush says...

now is the time to sort out his problems.- not when he is flying a 747
now is the time to sort out his problems.- not when he is flying a 747 memush
  • Score: 6

3:26am Sat 30 Nov 13

Someone_New says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Brite Spark wrote:
10 miles per hour gentle breeze crosswinds how very dangerous!!
You are an expert on crosswinds?
I suggest you read the full report at:-
http://www.aaib.gov.

uk/cms_resources.cfm

?file=/AAIB%20Bullet

in%2011-2013.pdf
Page 31 will give you the full story.
No need for uninformed comments.
Unfortunately, without writing uninformed comments he'd probably not be able to post here any longer... hmmm, every cloud and all that...
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: 10 miles per hour gentle breeze crosswinds how very dangerous!![/p][/quote]You are an expert on crosswinds? I suggest you read the full report at:- http://www.aaib.gov. uk/cms_resources.cfm ?file=/AAIB%20Bullet in%2011-2013.pdf Page 31 will give you the full story. No need for uninformed comments.[/p][/quote]Unfortunately, without writing uninformed comments he'd probably not be able to post here any longer... hmmm, every cloud and all that... Someone_New
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree