Carriageway of M3 shut after lorry crash

Daily Echo: The lorry crashed against the central reservation this evening. The lorry crashed against the central reservation this evening.

A CARRIAGEWAY of a major Hampshire motorway is closed following a serious accident.

Police have closed the southbound carriageway of the M3 after a lorry hit the central reservation between junctions 13 and 14 at around 4.53pm.

Police say two people in the lorry suffered “serious injuries” and the carriageway could be closed for some time.

Daily Echo:

South Central Ambulance confirmed two people were taken to Southampton General Hospital with serious injuries.

Two ambulances, two officers, a doctor and a heart team was sent to the scene.

The ambulance service was unable to say if the patients' injuries are life-threatening.

No other vehicles were involved in the collision, police say.

A spokesman for the Highways Agency said the road may not be open until at least 8pm.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:08pm Sat 4 Jan 14

massimoosti says...

The M3 only has junctions running from 1 - 13 so assume DE means 12 - 13 and not 13 - 14.

Echo Journalism fail as per the daily norm.
The M3 only has junctions running from 1 - 13 so assume DE means 12 - 13 and not 13 - 14. Echo Journalism fail as per the daily norm. massimoosti

6:21pm Sat 4 Jan 14

good-gosh says...

Not surprising. Every car in the photo is too close.
Not surprising. Every car in the photo is too close. good-gosh

6:22pm Sat 4 Jan 14

richieroo says...

massimoosti wrote:
The M3 only has junctions running from 1 - 13 so assume DE means 12 - 13 and not 13 - 14.

Echo Journalism fail as per the daily norm.
Actually the Echo is correct & you are wrong...
Unless you believe the M3 ends at junction 13 Eastleigh Leigh Road, rather than continuing on to join the M27 at junction 14!!!. ;-)
[quote][p][bold]massimoosti[/bold] wrote: The M3 only has junctions running from 1 - 13 so assume DE means 12 - 13 and not 13 - 14. Echo Journalism fail as per the daily norm.[/p][/quote]Actually the Echo is correct & you are wrong... Unless you believe the M3 ends at junction 13 Eastleigh Leigh Road, rather than continuing on to join the M27 at junction 14!!!. ;-) richieroo

10:25pm Sat 4 Jan 14

Micle1974 says...

massimoosti wrote:
The M3 only has junctions running from 1 - 13 so assume DE means 12 - 13 and not 13 - 14.

Echo Journalism fail as per the daily norm.
take a look at http://www.motorwayc
ameras.co.uk/choosec
amera/?motorway=m27&
motorwayid=50
[quote][p][bold]massimoosti[/bold] wrote: The M3 only has junctions running from 1 - 13 so assume DE means 12 - 13 and not 13 - 14. Echo Journalism fail as per the daily norm.[/p][/quote]take a look at http://www.motorwayc ameras.co.uk/choosec amera/?motorway=m27& motorwayid=50 Micle1974

10:43pm Sat 4 Jan 14

dolomiteman says...

Two ambulances, two officers, a doctor and a heart team was sent to the scene.

Really a Heart team attended did they or do the DE mean HART team?
Two ambulances, two officers, a doctor and a heart team was sent to the scene. Really a Heart team attended did they or do the DE mean HART team? dolomiteman

10:53pm Sat 4 Jan 14

peenut81 says...

I was 1/4 mile behind this as it happened and as far as i could tell the contributing factors were excess spray, cars without any lights on (near invisible until you are upon them) and as mentioned above insufficient gaps between traffic, the highways agency also had wrong info up on boards later on advising j13 was closed, when in fact its j14...
I was 1/4 mile behind this as it happened and as far as i could tell the contributing factors were excess spray, cars without any lights on (near invisible until you are upon them) and as mentioned above insufficient gaps between traffic, the highways agency also had wrong info up on boards later on advising j13 was closed, when in fact its j14... peenut81

11:53pm Sat 4 Jan 14

Georgethepie says...

peenut81 wrote:
I was 1/4 mile behind this as it happened and as far as i could tell the contributing factors were excess spray, cars without any lights on (near invisible until you are upon them) and as mentioned above insufficient gaps between traffic, the highways agency also had wrong info up on boards later on advising j13 was closed, when in fact its j14...
Your telling me the Highways Agency were displaying duff information. Shock horror I don't believe it..... Actually come to think of I would be more surprised if they had got it correct... Over funded fools.
Witnessed a stranded car being rescued from the outside lane of the M25 at rush hour this week. Police car came past rolling block car moved 2 minutes later occupant safe and sound.
Now if that had been the highways idiots in a 4x4 I would most probably still be sat there now...
[quote][p][bold]peenut81[/bold] wrote: I was 1/4 mile behind this as it happened and as far as i could tell the contributing factors were excess spray, cars without any lights on (near invisible until you are upon them) and as mentioned above insufficient gaps between traffic, the highways agency also had wrong info up on boards later on advising j13 was closed, when in fact its j14...[/p][/quote]Your telling me the Highways Agency were displaying duff information. Shock horror I don't believe it..... Actually come to think of I would be more surprised if they had got it correct... Over funded fools. Witnessed a stranded car being rescued from the outside lane of the M25 at rush hour this week. Police car came past rolling block car moved 2 minutes later occupant safe and sound. Now if that had been the highways idiots in a 4x4 I would most probably still be sat there now... Georgethepie

12:04am Sun 5 Jan 14

hp2014 says...

I was on the opposite side of this accident just after it'd happened.
I saw a man running in the road waving his arms around before nearly driving over some of the lorry debris on my side myself.
Very sad and upsetting to think of the two injured people.
Let's think of them & their loved ones instead of moaning about journalism and the highways agency eh?
I was on the opposite side of this accident just after it'd happened. I saw a man running in the road waving his arms around before nearly driving over some of the lorry debris on my side myself. Very sad and upsetting to think of the two injured people. Let's think of them & their loved ones instead of moaning about journalism and the highways agency eh? hp2014

1:49am Sun 5 Jan 14

dango says...

the pray on UK motorways is appalling TBH and this is down to the use of materials and construction. German Autobahns have a 'dimpled' texture to them to reduce spray and help braking/ traction.

Other factors to note are most UK drivers attitudes to driving in adverse weather; some don't know when to use fog lights for instance and use them as a media to 'look cool'', dropping speed, increasing braking distances and correct lane discipline. If there are three lanes, use all three but keep left whenever possible.

I sincerely belive that UK drivers are uneducated when it comes to motorway driving and the correct use of lights. It's high time the DSA made motorway driving a compulsory part of the test.
the pray on UK motorways is appalling TBH and this is down to the use of materials and construction. German Autobahns have a 'dimpled' texture to them to reduce spray and help braking/ traction. Other factors to note are most UK drivers attitudes to driving in adverse weather; some don't know when to use fog lights for instance and use them as a media to 'look cool'', dropping speed, increasing braking distances and correct lane discipline. If there are three lanes, use all three but keep left whenever possible. I sincerely belive that UK drivers are uneducated when it comes to motorway driving and the correct use of lights. It's high time the DSA made motorway driving a compulsory part of the test. dango

2:22am Sun 5 Jan 14

knac says...

I didn't think lorries we're aloud in the fast lane
I didn't think lorries we're aloud in the fast lane knac

12:20pm Sun 5 Jan 14

blackmasquerade says...

knac wrote:
I didn't think lorries we're aloud in the fast lane
Not where there are 3 or more lanes but given it is reported the accident occurred between Junctions 13 & 14, which are 2 lanes I believe, they are perfectly entitled to use the outside lane in such cases.

Irrespective of that however, my thoughts are with the families concerned.
[quote][p][bold]knac[/bold] wrote: I didn't think lorries we're aloud in the fast lane[/p][/quote]Not where there are 3 or more lanes but given it is reported the accident occurred between Junctions 13 & 14, which are 2 lanes I believe, they are perfectly entitled to use the outside lane in such cases. Irrespective of that however, my thoughts are with the families concerned. blackmasquerade

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree