Firefighters rescue driver from Ford Escort in dramatic crash near Romsey

Daily Echo: Incredible escape of driver whose car ended under water in dramatic crash Incredible escape of driver whose car ended under water in dramatic crash

HOW did he get out alive?

A motorist had an incredible escape following a dramatic crash that ended with his car being submerged in water in Hampshire.

The red Ford Escort had crashed off a road and rolled several times before sinking down into the deep, muddy water.

The unnamed motorist managed to escape from his vehicle with just minor injuries and climbed on to its roof until firefighters arrived to rescue him.

The dramatic crash happened near to Romsey, and firefighters have described the motorist as “very lucky”, saying the outcome could have been worse if the car had landed on its roof.

Police say the driver hit a traffic island prior to crashing off the A27 near Hampshire Collegiate School, located on the outskirts of Shootash.

Before it went down the embankment into the water, crashing into trees on the way, police said it rolled over several times before finally landing wheels down.

Fire crew manager at St Mary’s station Charlie Turnbull said: “We were called to a road traffic collision involving a car that had rolled and ended up in deep flood water.

“Fire crews from Romsey and St Mary’s effected a quick and safe rescue using an aerial ladder platform.”

It was dark when the accident happened.

On their arrival, fire crews from Romsey decided it was too risky to use a conventional ladder to try and rescue the man and called in a crew with the brigade’s aerial ladder platform, which has a 32-metre high reach.

Firefighters then gently got the driver on to the platformand hoisted him safely back on to dry land.

He had suffered minor injuries and was treated at the scene by an ambulance crew before being taken to Southampton General Hospital for further assessment.

Mr Turnbull said: “Before our arrival the male had managed to release himself from the vehicle and we found him sat on top of the car.

“He was extremely lucky to have been spotted by passers-by who made the emergency call and also to have suffered only minor injuries.”

A police spokesman said: “He was lucky.

“It could have been a lot worse if his car had ended up on its roof in the water because it was between 4ft and 5ft deep.”

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:46am Fri 17 Jan 14

StJohn says...

Through the door by the looks of things.
Through the door by the looks of things. StJohn

11:56am Fri 17 Jan 14

Bob Barnes says...

StJohn wrote:
Through the door by the looks of things.
Agree obvious by the picture, where was his Escort prior to float the car.
[quote][p][bold]StJohn[/bold] wrote: Through the door by the looks of things.[/p][/quote]Agree obvious by the picture, where was his Escort prior to float the car. Bob Barnes

12:14pm Fri 17 Jan 14

wwozzer says...

Not sure why he flicked his hazards on.....
Not sure why he flicked his hazards on..... wwozzer

12:39pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Zexagon says...

Let's hope he learns from it
Let's hope he learns from it Zexagon

1:05pm Fri 17 Jan 14

espanuel says...

Submerged? Totally under water is it? Place totally under water is submerged. I can still see it half out of the water.
Submerged? Totally under water is it? Place totally under water is submerged. I can still see it half out of the water. espanuel

1:16pm Fri 17 Jan 14

S!monOn says...

Bob Barnes wrote:
StJohn wrote:
Through the door by the looks of things.
Agree obvious by the picture, where was his Escort prior to float the car.
I didn't know people could travel "through" doors unless they're ghosts....
[quote][p][bold]Bob Barnes[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]StJohn[/bold] wrote: Through the door by the looks of things.[/p][/quote]Agree obvious by the picture, where was his Escort prior to float the car.[/p][/quote]I didn't know people could travel "through" doors unless they're ghosts.... S!monOn

1:31pm Fri 17 Jan 14

southamptonadi says...

espanuel wrote:
Submerged? Totally under water is it? Place totally under water is submerged. I can still see it half out of the water.
And apparently it rolled a few times. Roof looks totally up damaged to me. It's only an escort not exactly the height of passenger safety, would presume it would be crushed a little.
[quote][p][bold]espanuel[/bold] wrote: Submerged? Totally under water is it? Place totally under water is submerged. I can still see it half out of the water.[/p][/quote]And apparently it rolled a few times. Roof looks totally up damaged to me. It's only an escort not exactly the height of passenger safety, would presume it would be crushed a little. southamptonadi

1:36pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Brite Spark says...

Well maybe the tide was in when the accident happened and had gone out a bit by the time that the photo was taken.
Well maybe the tide was in when the accident happened and had gone out a bit by the time that the photo was taken. Brite Spark

3:55pm Fri 17 Jan 14

reeferman says...

Thats one way of dipping your head lights!
Thats one way of dipping your head lights! reeferman

9:29pm Fri 17 Jan 14

forest hump says...

Brite Spark wrote:
Well maybe the tide was in when the accident happened and had gone out a bit by the time that the photo was taken.
Tide? in Romsey?
[quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: Well maybe the tide was in when the accident happened and had gone out a bit by the time that the photo was taken.[/p][/quote]Tide? in Romsey? forest hump

10:46pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Turtlebay says...

southamptonadi wrote:
espanuel wrote:
Submerged? Totally under water is it? Place totally under water is submerged. I can still see it half out of the water.
And apparently it rolled a few times. Roof looks totally up damaged to me. It's only an escort not exactly the height of passenger safety, would presume it would be crushed a little.
Dramatic reporting goes hand in hand with inaccurate reporting in The Daily Echo, didn't you know?

This news(?)paper is run by staff with a mental age of five years old.
[quote][p][bold]southamptonadi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]espanuel[/bold] wrote: Submerged? Totally under water is it? Place totally under water is submerged. I can still see it half out of the water.[/p][/quote]And apparently it rolled a few times. Roof looks totally up damaged to me. It's only an escort not exactly the height of passenger safety, would presume it would be crushed a little.[/p][/quote]Dramatic reporting goes hand in hand with inaccurate reporting in The Daily Echo, didn't you know? This news(?)paper is run by staff with a mental age of five years old. Turtlebay

11:25pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Inform Al says...

Turtlebay wrote:
southamptonadi wrote:
espanuel wrote:
Submerged? Totally under water is it? Place totally under water is submerged. I can still see it half out of the water.
And apparently it rolled a few times. Roof looks totally up damaged to me. It's only an escort not exactly the height of passenger safety, would presume it would be crushed a little.
Dramatic reporting goes hand in hand with inaccurate reporting in The Daily Echo, didn't you know?

This news(?)paper is run by staff with a mental age of five years old.
Are you saying they are older than the editor?
[quote][p][bold]Turtlebay[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southamptonadi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]espanuel[/bold] wrote: Submerged? Totally under water is it? Place totally under water is submerged. I can still see it half out of the water.[/p][/quote]And apparently it rolled a few times. Roof looks totally up damaged to me. It's only an escort not exactly the height of passenger safety, would presume it would be crushed a little.[/p][/quote]Dramatic reporting goes hand in hand with inaccurate reporting in The Daily Echo, didn't you know? This news(?)paper is run by staff with a mental age of five years old.[/p][/quote]Are you saying they are older than the editor? Inform Al

5:56pm Mon 20 Jan 14

CK Fennemore says...

Good Job it wasnt snowing.............
.....or was it !!
Good Job it wasnt snowing............. .....or was it !! CK Fennemore

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree