AN historic view has been opened up to the people of Southampton once again.
Looking down East Street, it is now once again possible to see Central Hall, which was built in 1925.
The view had been obscured or almost 40 years by the East Street Shopping Centre, which was built in 1975 and has recently been demolished.
The centre has been removed to make way for the new Morrison's store which is planned for the site.
When that is built, it will once again be possible to walk down East Street between High Street and St Mary's - historically a key route into the city centre.
However, the view of Central Hall will once again be lost when the 60,000sq ft store rises up over the coming months.
Athough the shopping centre has been knocked down, the Capital House office block and Royal Oak pub are remaining in place as they are, albeit with some improvements to the surrounding area.
The new supermarket is expected to open its doors at the end of the year and is a key part of council chiefs’ vision for the city centre.