THE family of a popular Southampton man killed in an Afghanistan terrorist attack have brought him back home.

A week after Del Singh died in a restaurant explosion and shooting, his younger sister Dishi Pangurha and partner Komal Adris have escorted his body back to the UK.

Neither had visited the wartorn country before and told how glad they were to have gone despite the potential security risks.

As reported, 39- year-old Del, from St Mary’s, was one of 21 people, including another Briton, who died when the Taliban targeted a restaurant in Kabul on January 17.

A Labour MEP candidate for the south east, Del had worked in international aid for more than a decade, managing EU and UN projects as well as for the Department for International Development in the Middle East.

He also was a well-known figure in Southampton and was working at the time as an international development consultant for Adam Smith International – a leading international advisory firm.

When Del, of Northumberland Road, was in Afghanistan he stayed in a large house with colleagues, including Malaysian adviser Gnana Nagarajah, who was with him in the restaurant that night and was also killed. Dishi and Komal were not able to visit the site of the attack that claimed Del’s life because it was blocked off.

However the pair were able to meet people who knew Del and were devastated by what happened, and they were also able to say prayers for him at the Sikh temple in the capital.

They also attended a multi-faith memorial service held by the company for friends and colleagues of Del and Gnana, where people shared their stories and memories and read from scripture.

Komal, 35, said “We got to understand why he loved Afghanistan, we met his housemates and colleagues and everybody that was around him. It was really comforting.”

Dishi, 34, said going through Del’s belongings had been “heart-wrenching”.

She said: “It was hard and it’s just something you have to get through, there’s nothing anyone can do to make it better.

“As much as I would wish it, he’s not going to come back.”

They flew back to the UK with Del last Friday and the family hope to hold the funeral in Southampton next week.

A further memorial event may take place in London.