Mum died 10 days after being pulled from fire at her home

Daily Echo: The scene of the fire in Landguard Road, Shirley The scene of the fire in Landguard Road, Shirley

A HAMPSHIRE mum died ten days after being pulled unconscious from a fire at her flat, an inquest heard.

Patricia Murray was discovered by firefighters using thermal imaging on the floor of her smoke-filled ground floor flat after neighbours spotted flames coming from the kitchen of her Shirley home.

Her neighbours tried to battle through the thick smoke to get to the 53-year-old, but the smoke proved too toxic.

Despite CPR at the scene by firefighters and paramedics, the damaged caused by Mrs Murray being without oxygen for around 30 minutes was too severe and she died ten days later in hospital.

But while the coroner Keith Wiseman ruled her death was accidental, he admitted that the events leading up to exactly how the fire came to start would remain a mystery.

Southampton Coroner’s Court heard how an investigation into the blaze, which started at around 7.30pm on January 3, found that it had been caused by a pan containing broccoli that had been left unattended.

For reasons which Mr Wiseman said would remain a mystery, the pan was allowed to boil dry, sparking the flames which saw the block of flats in Landguard Road evacuated.

Detective Sergeant Jeremy Boughay told the hearing that the mum of two adult children was found lying on her back on the floor beside her bed, close to her inhaler.

The inquest also heard that Mrs Murray, who lived alone, had a problem with alcohol as well as a number of health issues, including severe asthma.

Mr Wiseman told the court that while Mrs Murray may have suffered a medical episode that led her to leave the pot unattended, it could not be proved and that some other factor may have meant the cooking was left to burn.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree