No danger to public safety after sex attack

Daily Echo: No danger to public safety after sex attack No danger to public safety after sex attack

POLICE in Southampton have reassured the public there is no risk to safety as they continue to investigate a serious sex attack.

It comes after a 19-year-old woman was assaulted by a man in the Bevois Valley area of the city in the early hours of Thursday morning.

The incident happened sometime between 1.30am and 3am in Ancasta Road.

It is understood the woman met the man earlier in the evening on a night out with friends in the Bevois Valley area.

Det insp Liz Williams said: “Our investigation is focusing on bringing together evidence and speaking to people in the area to piece together what happened.

“There is nothing to suggest there is any greater risk to the community or that people living around the Ancasta Road area should be alarmed.

“I would of course always urge people to use caution when out and about at night as you would normally.

“Officers from the local safer neighbourhoods and response teams will be carrying out patrols in the area as normal.

A 37-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and last night remained in police custody.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or the anonymous Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555111.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:06am Sat 22 Mar 14

Jamesharris39 says...

Reassuring news. Great work from the local Police. I hope the victim is on the road to recovery.
Reassuring news. Great work from the local Police. I hope the victim is on the road to recovery. Jamesharris39
  • Score: 6

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree