Drivers face major delays after car flips over on busy Rushington roundabout

Rush hour delays after car flips on major roundabout

Rush hour delays after car flips on major roundabout

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Health Reporter

THERE are major tailbacks stretching three miles this evening after a car flipped over on a busy Hampshire roundabout.

The red Toyota Yaris landed on its roof on Rushington roundabout following a two-vehicle collision earlier this afternoon.

Traffic is now stretching back as far as Southampton Central railway station as a result.

Emergency services were sent to the scene and the woman was freed by fire crews following the incident at around 4.20pm.

She suffered minor injuries.

The road was not closed but Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service are directed traffic.

The incident is causing major rush hour delays and tailbacks go as far as Mountbatten Way.

There are currently no details on any injuries.

It follows an earlier two-vehicle collision on Millbrook Flyover.

 

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:58pm Fri 28 Mar 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

.. and not a Cruise Boat in sight...
.. and not a Cruise Boat in sight... OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 5

6:09pm Fri 28 Mar 14

funchal says...

How on earth did she flip over on a roundabout? I would say a bit of bad driving!
How on earth did she flip over on a roundabout? I would say a bit of bad driving! funchal
  • Score: -1

6:13pm Fri 28 Mar 14

Dai Rear says...

Flipper strikes again. The sooner he's caught and turned into tasty Flipper steaks (with chips and mushy peas) the better.
Flipper strikes again. The sooner he's caught and turned into tasty Flipper steaks (with chips and mushy peas) the better. Dai Rear
  • Score: 0

6:32pm Fri 28 Mar 14

Forest Resident says...

God forbid they actually build the proposed fast food restaurants immediately adjacent to this roundabout, incidents like this would then undoubtedly be happenning on an almost daily basis. At peak times its simply too busy at this major junction which serves as the main artery to the entire eastern New Forest.
God forbid they actually build the proposed fast food restaurants immediately adjacent to this roundabout, incidents like this would then undoubtedly be happenning on an almost daily basis. At peak times its simply too busy at this major junction which serves as the main artery to the entire eastern New Forest. Forest Resident
  • Score: 3

7:16pm Fri 28 Mar 14

Hotsy373 says...

Restaurants don't cause cars to flip over, poor driving does. Almost a daily basis? The evidence in support is? Doesn't Millbrook roundabout work ok?
Restaurants don't cause cars to flip over, poor driving does. Almost a daily basis? The evidence in support is? Doesn't Millbrook roundabout work ok? Hotsy373
  • Score: 6

7:37pm Fri 28 Mar 14

ian t says...

the clue is in the article , SHE was rescued !!!!!!!!!!!
the clue is in the article , SHE was rescued !!!!!!!!!!! ian t
  • Score: -1

7:42pm Fri 28 Mar 14

Torchie1 says...

Forest Resident wrote:
God forbid they actually build the proposed fast food restaurants immediately adjacent to this roundabout, incidents like this would then undoubtedly be happenning on an almost daily basis. At peak times its simply too busy at this major junction which serves as the main artery to the entire eastern New Forest.
Have you ever wondered why the A326 was linked to the motorway or isn't it counted as another artery to the eastern New Forest?
[quote][p][bold]Forest Resident[/bold] wrote: God forbid they actually build the proposed fast food restaurants immediately adjacent to this roundabout, incidents like this would then undoubtedly be happenning on an almost daily basis. At peak times its simply too busy at this major junction which serves as the main artery to the entire eastern New Forest.[/p][/quote]Have you ever wondered why the A326 was linked to the motorway or isn't it counted as another artery to the eastern New Forest? Torchie1
  • Score: -2

7:53pm Fri 28 Mar 14

CapeMan says...

"The road was not closed but Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service are directed traffic." I would love to know which School of Journalism Joe Curtis attended. I mean, really?? How does this drivel get printed?!
"The road was not closed but Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service are directed traffic." I would love to know which School of Journalism Joe Curtis attended. I mean, really?? How does this drivel get printed?! CapeMan
  • Score: 6

8:11pm Fri 28 Mar 14

Glen Wiffen says...

Rush hour on the Rushington roundabout says it all. Probably caused by those idiots trying to turn left in the middle lane again to jump the traffic que.
Rush hour on the Rushington roundabout says it all. Probably caused by those idiots trying to turn left in the middle lane again to jump the traffic que. Glen Wiffen
  • Score: 6

8:19pm Fri 28 Mar 14

bigfella777 says...

She, say no more, probably looking at herself or her phone
She, say no more, probably looking at herself or her phone bigfella777
  • Score: -7

8:27pm Fri 28 Mar 14

dangermouse01 says...

For all those halfwits that want to blame the female driver of the car let me fill you in on the facts. The driver was side swiped and the car was flipped on its side. You are clueless because it was my wife that had to be rescued from the car. .Bigfella777, Ian t, funchal would like to know how you would handle watching your partner being rescued from a car on its side, but then again you are so sad putting your pathetic loser comments on an incident you know absolutely nothing about....crawl back under your rocks
For all those halfwits that want to blame the female driver of the car let me fill you in on the facts. The driver was side swiped and the car was flipped on its side. You are clueless because it was my wife that had to be rescued from the car. .Bigfella777, Ian t, funchal would like to know how you would handle watching your partner being rescued from a car on its side, but then again you are so sad putting your pathetic loser comments on an incident you know absolutely nothing about....crawl back under your rocks dangermouse01
  • Score: 23

8:52pm Fri 28 Mar 14

Reality-man says...

Bl00dy cyclists
Bl00dy cyclists Reality-man
  • Score: 2

8:57pm Fri 28 Mar 14

solomum says...

Thoughts are with the driver. Hope she is OK.
Thoughts are with the driver. Hope she is OK. solomum
  • Score: 4

9:52pm Fri 28 Mar 14

03alpe01 says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
.. and not a Cruise Boat in sight...
must have been or else this wouldn't have happened!
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: .. and not a Cruise Boat in sight...[/p][/quote]must have been or else this wouldn't have happened! 03alpe01
  • Score: -2

10:22pm Fri 28 Mar 14

SLY cyclist says...

CapeMan wrote:
"The road was not closed but Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service are directed traffic." I would love to know which School of Journalism Joe Curtis attended. I mean, really?? How does this drivel get printed?!
Yeah and it's a rubbish journalism first of they say she has minor injuries then says there are currently no details on injuries. Well the echo know its a minor so that's some detail.

Then says it follows a two car accident but gives details of a two car accident on milbrook flyover surely they are not the same accident as that's a long way to flip lol.

So the husband says they were side swiped, I'm thinking that's unlikely and highly improbable to flip a car on its own. But I can't comment on the story because I will be a half wit and will have to crawl back under my rock. I thought it was an open forum to discuss stories but I must be wrong.
[quote][p][bold]CapeMan[/bold] wrote: "The road was not closed but Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service are directed traffic." I would love to know which School of Journalism Joe Curtis attended. I mean, really?? How does this drivel get printed?![/p][/quote]Yeah and it's a rubbish journalism first of they say she has minor injuries then says there are currently no details on injuries. Well the echo know its a minor so that's some detail. Then says it follows a two car accident but gives details of a two car accident on milbrook flyover surely they are not the same accident as that's a long way to flip lol. So the husband says they were side swiped, I'm thinking that's unlikely and highly improbable to flip a car on its own. But I can't comment on the story because I will be a half wit and will have to crawl back under my rock. I thought it was an open forum to discuss stories but I must be wrong. SLY cyclist
  • Score: -4

10:28pm Fri 28 Mar 14

SLY cyclist says...

dangermouse01 wrote:
For all those halfwits that want to blame the female driver of the car let me fill you in on the facts. The driver was side swiped and the car was flipped on its side. You are clueless because it was my wife that had to be rescued from the car. .Bigfella777, Ian t, funchal would like to know how you would handle watching your partner being rescued from a car on its side, but then again you are so sad putting your pathetic loser comments on an incident you know absolutely nothing about....crawl back under your rocks
I've been in a car on its side as a passenger. We climbed out of the door, pushed the car back over and drove home. That's my experience, we can wait for big fellas as well.

Big fella is just putting a comical post on, there's no need to take it personally. As I'm sure it will only get worse if you start biting

Please inform us of the truth, you say side, the echo says roof. We as readers demand the whole truth so we can carry on discussing the article with the full facts.
[quote][p][bold]dangermouse01[/bold] wrote: For all those halfwits that want to blame the female driver of the car let me fill you in on the facts. The driver was side swiped and the car was flipped on its side. You are clueless because it was my wife that had to be rescued from the car. .Bigfella777, Ian t, funchal would like to know how you would handle watching your partner being rescued from a car on its side, but then again you are so sad putting your pathetic loser comments on an incident you know absolutely nothing about....crawl back under your rocks[/p][/quote]I've been in a car on its side as a passenger. We climbed out of the door, pushed the car back over and drove home. That's my experience, we can wait for big fellas as well. Big fella is just putting a comical post on, there's no need to take it personally. As I'm sure it will only get worse if you start biting Please inform us of the truth, you say side, the echo says roof. We as readers demand the whole truth so we can carry on discussing the article with the full facts. SLY cyclist
  • Score: -5

10:30pm Fri 28 Mar 14

SLY cyclist says...

Red car and the blue car had a race
Red car and the blue car had a race SLY cyclist
  • Score: -2

10:35pm Fri 28 Mar 14

Torchie1 says...

SLY cyclist wrote:
dangermouse01 wrote:
For all those halfwits that want to blame the female driver of the car let me fill you in on the facts. The driver was side swiped and the car was flipped on its side. You are clueless because it was my wife that had to be rescued from the car. .Bigfella777, Ian t, funchal would like to know how you would handle watching your partner being rescued from a car on its side, but then again you are so sad putting your pathetic loser comments on an incident you know absolutely nothing about....crawl back under your rocks
I've been in a car on its side as a passenger. We climbed out of the door, pushed the car back over and drove home. That's my experience, we can wait for big fellas as well.

Big fella is just putting a comical post on, there's no need to take it personally. As I'm sure it will only get worse if you start biting

Please inform us of the truth, you say side, the echo says roof. We as readers demand the whole truth so we can carry on discussing the article with the full facts.
If you really want to see some 'biting' wait until someone accuses a bicycle rider of jumping a red light, the response is pure school playground.
[quote][p][bold]SLY cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dangermouse01[/bold] wrote: For all those halfwits that want to blame the female driver of the car let me fill you in on the facts. The driver was side swiped and the car was flipped on its side. You are clueless because it was my wife that had to be rescued from the car. .Bigfella777, Ian t, funchal would like to know how you would handle watching your partner being rescued from a car on its side, but then again you are so sad putting your pathetic loser comments on an incident you know absolutely nothing about....crawl back under your rocks[/p][/quote]I've been in a car on its side as a passenger. We climbed out of the door, pushed the car back over and drove home. That's my experience, we can wait for big fellas as well. Big fella is just putting a comical post on, there's no need to take it personally. As I'm sure it will only get worse if you start biting Please inform us of the truth, you say side, the echo says roof. We as readers demand the whole truth so we can carry on discussing the article with the full facts.[/p][/quote]If you really want to see some 'biting' wait until someone accuses a bicycle rider of jumping a red light, the response is pure school playground. Torchie1
  • Score: -2

10:57pm Fri 28 Mar 14

lemon cake says...

I saw this accident and 1 the car was on its side not its roof 2 it wasn't on the roundabout but actually on the turning out of bar term road, some 400 Matt's from the roundabout and 3 the road wasn't closed....shot journalism. I saw the unfortunate lady tring to climb out via the boot, hope she's in. Despite any physical injures the poor lady must be very shaken up and emiousional ... Heart goes out to her
I saw this accident and 1 the car was on its side not its roof 2 it wasn't on the roundabout but actually on the turning out of bar term road, some 400 Matt's from the roundabout and 3 the road wasn't closed....shot journalism. I saw the unfortunate lady tring to climb out via the boot, hope she's in. Despite any physical injures the poor lady must be very shaken up and emiousional ... Heart goes out to her lemon cake
  • Score: 3

12:09am Sat 29 Mar 14

Sir Ad E Noid says...

funchal wrote:
How on earth did she flip over on a roundabout? I would say a bit of bad driving!
You were there? What happened? Was it serious? You weren't there? You are guessing what happened? What have you to say that is interesting? Nothing? Oh dear!!
[quote][p][bold]funchal[/bold] wrote: How on earth did she flip over on a roundabout? I would say a bit of bad driving![/p][/quote]You were there? What happened? Was it serious? You weren't there? You are guessing what happened? What have you to say that is interesting? Nothing? Oh dear!! Sir Ad E Noid
  • Score: 2

12:21am Sat 29 Mar 14

Sir Ad E Noid says...

lemon cake wrote:
I saw this accident and 1 the car was on its side not its roof 2 it wasn't on the roundabout but actually on the turning out of bar term road, some 400 Matt's from the roundabout and 3 the road wasn't closed....shot journalism. I saw the unfortunate lady tring to climb out via the boot, hope she's in. Despite any physical injures the poor lady must be very shaken up and emiousional ... Heart goes out to her
I think I understood what you were saying, have you been drinking? If no, total drivel, if yes, you are in shock, go to to the General Hospital, immediately.
[quote][p][bold]lemon cake[/bold] wrote: I saw this accident and 1 the car was on its side not its roof 2 it wasn't on the roundabout but actually on the turning out of bar term road, some 400 Matt's from the roundabout and 3 the road wasn't closed....shot journalism. I saw the unfortunate lady tring to climb out via the boot, hope she's in. Despite any physical injures the poor lady must be very shaken up and emiousional ... Heart goes out to her[/p][/quote]I think I understood what you were saying, have you been drinking? If no, total drivel, if yes, you are in shock, go to to the General Hospital, immediately. Sir Ad E Noid
  • Score: -1

12:23am Sat 29 Mar 14

Sir Ad E Noid says...

Forest Resident wrote:
God forbid they actually build the proposed fast food restaurants immediately adjacent to this roundabout, incidents like this would then undoubtedly be happenning on an almost daily basis. At peak times its simply too busy at this major junction which serves as the main artery to the entire eastern New Forest.
And you live where? Marchwood? You are not a Forest resident, stop pretending you are. Ignore.
[quote][p][bold]Forest Resident[/bold] wrote: God forbid they actually build the proposed fast food restaurants immediately adjacent to this roundabout, incidents like this would then undoubtedly be happenning on an almost daily basis. At peak times its simply too busy at this major junction which serves as the main artery to the entire eastern New Forest.[/p][/quote]And you live where? Marchwood? You are not a Forest resident, stop pretending you are. Ignore. Sir Ad E Noid
  • Score: -3

2:09am Sat 29 Mar 14

dango says...

bigfella777 wrote:
She, say no more, probably looking at herself or her phone
what was it you called me last week Bigfella? My reply was I don't post here much anymore due to the pathetic comments. Another pathetic ill-informed uneducated reply from yourself.
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: She, say no more, probably looking at herself or her phone[/p][/quote]what was it you called me last week Bigfella? My reply was I don't post here much anymore due to the pathetic comments. Another pathetic ill-informed uneducated reply from yourself. dango
  • Score: 3

3:05am Sat 29 Mar 14

dolomiteman says...

lemon cake wrote:
I saw this accident and 1 the car was on its side not its roof 2 it wasn't on the roundabout but actually on the turning out of bar term road, some 400 Matt's from the roundabout and 3 the road wasn't closed....shot journalism. I saw the unfortunate lady tring to climb out via the boot, hope she's in. Despite any physical injures the poor lady must be very shaken up and emiousional ... Heart goes out to her
400 Matt's from the roundabout?
[quote][p][bold]lemon cake[/bold] wrote: I saw this accident and 1 the car was on its side not its roof 2 it wasn't on the roundabout but actually on the turning out of bar term road, some 400 Matt's from the roundabout and 3 the road wasn't closed....shot journalism. I saw the unfortunate lady tring to climb out via the boot, hope she's in. Despite any physical injures the poor lady must be very shaken up and emiousional ... Heart goes out to her[/p][/quote]400 Matt's from the roundabout? dolomiteman
  • Score: 0

10:05am Sat 29 Mar 14

Forest Resident says...

Sir Ad E Noid wrote:
Forest Resident wrote:
God forbid they actually build the proposed fast food restaurants immediately adjacent to this roundabout, incidents like this would then undoubtedly be happenning on an almost daily basis. At peak times its simply too busy at this major junction which serves as the main artery to the entire eastern New Forest.
And you live where? Marchwood? You are not a Forest resident, stop pretending you are. Ignore.
Troll.
[quote][p][bold]Sir Ad E Noid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Forest Resident[/bold] wrote: God forbid they actually build the proposed fast food restaurants immediately adjacent to this roundabout, incidents like this would then undoubtedly be happenning on an almost daily basis. At peak times its simply too busy at this major junction which serves as the main artery to the entire eastern New Forest.[/p][/quote]And you live where? Marchwood? You are not a Forest resident, stop pretending you are. Ignore.[/p][/quote]Troll. Forest Resident
  • Score: 0

8:28pm Sat 29 Mar 14

ognid says...

About time we had a bridge over the Solent I'm fed up with these narrow roads and when the smallest fag butt is thrown out of a car window we have a major gridlock. We pay the highest poll tax and we have the worst road infrastructure. Additionally there are too many inconsiderate motorists on this road network. Start a campain for a bridge over the water. They can build a bridge linking Sweden with Denmark so what is so hard about crossing a river for goodness sake.
About time we had a bridge over the Solent I'm fed up with these narrow roads and when the smallest fag butt is thrown out of a car window we have a major gridlock. We pay the highest poll tax and we have the worst road infrastructure. Additionally there are too many inconsiderate motorists on this road network. Start a campain for a bridge over the water. They can build a bridge linking Sweden with Denmark so what is so hard about crossing a river for goodness sake. ognid
  • Score: 1

10:36pm Sat 29 Mar 14

southamptonadi says...

ognid wrote:
About time we had a bridge over the Solent I'm fed up with these narrow roads and when the smallest fag butt is thrown out of a car window we have a major gridlock. We pay the highest poll tax and we have the worst road infrastructure. Additionally there are too many inconsiderate motorists on this road network. Start a campain for a bridge over the water. They can build a bridge linking Sweden with Denmark so what is so hard about crossing a river for goodness sake.
Firstly what has the Solent got to do with it or do you mean southampton water. Narrow roads, I think it happend on a duel carriage way. But the A326 is not excactly narrow.

I'll answer your question as to why no bridge, where do you think it should go from and too. City centre? Woolston? Western? Or netley way. To where hut he, because it can't go anywhere else the other side. I suppose dibden bay,

How long and high do you think this bridge will have to be but more to the point do you really believe the council/government would spend 100 million plus on a bridge that won't exactly do much, would be far easier and cheaper to upgrade the existing roads to duel carriageways.

I've never paid poll tax what is it.

And is hey the really that important to have this mega bridge built for.
[quote][p][bold]ognid[/bold] wrote: About time we had a bridge over the Solent I'm fed up with these narrow roads and when the smallest fag butt is thrown out of a car window we have a major gridlock. We pay the highest poll tax and we have the worst road infrastructure. Additionally there are too many inconsiderate motorists on this road network. Start a campain for a bridge over the water. They can build a bridge linking Sweden with Denmark so what is so hard about crossing a river for goodness sake.[/p][/quote]Firstly what has the Solent got to do with it or do you mean southampton water. Narrow roads, I think it happend on a duel carriage way. But the A326 is not excactly narrow. I'll answer your question as to why no bridge, where do you think it should go from and too. City centre? Woolston? Western? Or netley way. To where hut he, because it can't go anywhere else the other side. I suppose dibden bay, How long and high do you think this bridge will have to be but more to the point do you really believe the council/government would spend 100 million plus on a bridge that won't exactly do much, would be far easier and cheaper to upgrade the existing roads to duel carriageways. I've never paid poll tax what is it. And is hey the really that important to have this mega bridge built for. southamptonadi
  • Score: 0

10:11am Mon 31 Mar 14

From the sidelines says...

CapeMan wrote:
"The road was not closed but Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service are directed traffic." I would love to know which School of Journalism Joe Curtis attended. I mean, really?? How does this drivel get printed?!
Apparently, BA History from Exeter and a diploma from Cardiff. Neither is a shabby institute.
They must be so proud of their alumnus.

But then again, his secondary education would have been under the progressive left.
[quote][p][bold]CapeMan[/bold] wrote: "The road was not closed but Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service are directed traffic." I would love to know which School of Journalism Joe Curtis attended. I mean, really?? How does this drivel get printed?![/p][/quote]Apparently, BA History from Exeter and a diploma from Cardiff. Neither is a shabby institute. They must be so proud of their alumnus. But then again, his secondary education would have been under the progressive left. From the sidelines
  • Score: 0

10:13am Mon 31 Mar 14

From the sidelines says...

lemon cake wrote:
I saw this accident and 1 the car was on its side not its roof 2 it wasn't on the roundabout but actually on the turning out of bar term road, some 400 Matt's from the roundabout and 3 the road wasn't closed....shot journalism. I saw the unfortunate lady tring to climb out via the boot, hope she's in. Despite any physical injures the poor lady must be very shaken up and emiousional ... Heart goes out to her
Lemon Cake, either your auto-correct is playing silly beggars, or you are illiterate.
[quote][p][bold]lemon cake[/bold] wrote: I saw this accident and 1 the car was on its side not its roof 2 it wasn't on the roundabout but actually on the turning out of bar term road, some 400 Matt's from the roundabout and 3 the road wasn't closed....shot journalism. I saw the unfortunate lady tring to climb out via the boot, hope she's in. Despite any physical injures the poor lady must be very shaken up and emiousional ... Heart goes out to her[/p][/quote]Lemon Cake, either your auto-correct is playing silly beggars, or you are illiterate. From the sidelines
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree