Man sleeps through blaze

THE kitchen of a Southampton home caught fire when a man fell asleep while cooking burgers.

Firefighters were called to the house in Redbridge Hill at 3.05am yesterday.

The occupant, a 43-year-old man, had been cooking burgers in a pan on the stove, but had fallen asleep.

Even though his smoke alarm went |off, he did not wake up and his neighbours eventually called |firefighters who were forced to break into |the flat.

The man, who was uninjured in the incident, was woken up by the firefighters.

Speaking after the fire, watch manager Simon Packer said: |“I would like to warn people against leaving cooking unattended by being distracted, sitting down or falling asleep.

“You should always keep an eye on it.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree