Daily Echo reporter Joseph Curtis finds out how much Southampton knows about St George

'St George' is ready for action at The Bargate

'St George' is ready for action at The Bargate

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Health Reporter

Southampton has long been known as the home of the Saints, but how much do people know about England’s patron saint?

The Daily Echo decided to find out, sending reporter Joseph Curtis onto the High Street dressed as St George to quiz the public and find out what St George’s Day means to them.

Daily Echo:

'St George' meets some of the patriotic public

Kitted out in a costume provided by The Fancy Dress Shop in Portswood Road, Joseph discovered the dragon-slaying saint was still fondly thought of by Southampton’s patriotic people.

Hannah Smith, 23, a bank worker from Fareham, said the nation should celebrate St George’s Day as much as our neighbouring countries do their patron saints.

Daily Echo:

Proud Englishwoman Hannah Smith with 'St George'

She said: “He’s the patron saint of England and killed a dragon.

“We should celebrate it more – we celebrate St Patrick’s, St Andrew’s and St David’s days, so why not St George?”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:33am Sat 19 Apr 14

bigfella777 says...

I couldn't even tell you when st Georges day is or care
I couldn't even tell you when st Georges day is or care bigfella777
  • Score: -7

10:40am Sat 19 Apr 14

SOULJACKER says...

The lady says 'We should celebrate St Georges day' as others do St Patrick, St David & St Andrew, but we have one thing that is against us......We are English & as soon as you start spouting out about 'St George' killing dragons you will have the 'animal rights' people banging on about how we shouldn't be 'killing dragons' because it is cruel to mythical creatures, the anti-racism people will be going on about how he looks like some sort of 'White supremisist' from the Klan & just generally how because we are English we are all racist & mustn't dislike anybody for whatever reason, oh & of course you will have the usuals suspects on here getting all bent out of shape because I sound racist & blah, blah, blah, you mark my words :D
The lady says 'We should celebrate St Georges day' as others do St Patrick, St David & St Andrew, but we have one thing that is against us......We are English & as soon as you start spouting out about 'St George' killing dragons you will have the 'animal rights' people banging on about how we shouldn't be 'killing dragons' because it is cruel to mythical creatures, the anti-racism people will be going on about how he looks like some sort of 'White supremisist' from the Klan & just generally how because we are English we are all racist & mustn't dislike anybody for whatever reason, oh & of course you will have the usuals suspects on here getting all bent out of shape because I sound racist & blah, blah, blah, you mark my words :D SOULJACKER
  • Score: -1

11:24am Sat 19 Apr 14

southy says...

The truth is its only the fanatics that would answer a call to show pride in a Saint that is all about religion enforce onto people. St George and the Dragon first question you should be asking your self is this " who or what was the dragon if you know your history then you will know the dragon was the pagans who worship the wing serpent / Dragon were murdered if they did not convert and conform with Christianity.
I am not blood thirsty and this Saint as no connections with me, He is also only a adopted saint that appeared from the crusades.
Lets look at the others saints.
St Patrick, Christian missionary and bishop in Ireland
St Andrew, brought here by the Norman conquest
St David, David was a native of Wales
Its clear who are the adoptive saints are.
The truth is its only the fanatics that would answer a call to show pride in a Saint that is all about religion enforce onto people. St George and the Dragon first question you should be asking your self is this " who or what was the dragon if you know your history then you will know the dragon was the pagans who worship the wing serpent / Dragon were murdered if they did not convert and conform with Christianity. I am not blood thirsty and this Saint as no connections with me, He is also only a adopted saint that appeared from the crusades. Lets look at the others saints. St Patrick, Christian missionary and bishop in Ireland St Andrew, brought here by the Norman conquest St David, David was a native of Wales Its clear who are the adoptive saints are. southy
  • Score: -5

12:42pm Sat 19 Apr 14

SotonGreen says...

What did this poor guy do to warrant the office hazing.
What did this poor guy do to warrant the office hazing. SotonGreen
  • Score: 1

12:45pm Sat 19 Apr 14

chapelsaint says...

SotonGreen wrote:
What did this poor guy do to warrant the office hazing.
Drew the short straw-obviously!
[quote][p][bold]SotonGreen[/bold] wrote: What did this poor guy do to warrant the office hazing.[/p][/quote]Drew the short straw-obviously! chapelsaint
  • Score: 1

2:13pm Sat 19 Apr 14

Kirsty666 says...

Immigrants is the problem were not aloud to be ENGLISH anymore than we are aloud to be BRITISH
Immigrants is the problem were not aloud to be ENGLISH anymore than we are aloud to be BRITISH Kirsty666
  • Score: 2

2:24pm Sat 19 Apr 14

IanUnite says...

SOULJACKER wrote:
The lady says 'We should celebrate St Georges day' as others do St Patrick, St David & St Andrew, but we have one thing that is against us......We are English & as soon as you start spouting out about 'St George' killing dragons you will have the 'animal rights' people banging on about how we shouldn't be 'killing dragons' because it is cruel to mythical creatures, the anti-racism people will be going on about how he looks like some sort of 'White supremisist' from the Klan & just generally how because we are English we are all racist & mustn't dislike anybody for whatever reason, oh & of course you will have the usuals suspects on here getting all bent out of shape because I sound racist & blah, blah, blah, you mark my words :D
Probably one of the funniest post I have read. Thanks Souljacker!
[quote][p][bold]SOULJACKER[/bold] wrote: The lady says 'We should celebrate St Georges day' as others do St Patrick, St David & St Andrew, but we have one thing that is against us......We are English & as soon as you start spouting out about 'St George' killing dragons you will have the 'animal rights' people banging on about how we shouldn't be 'killing dragons' because it is cruel to mythical creatures, the anti-racism people will be going on about how he looks like some sort of 'White supremisist' from the Klan & just generally how because we are English we are all racist & mustn't dislike anybody for whatever reason, oh & of course you will have the usuals suspects on here getting all bent out of shape because I sound racist & blah, blah, blah, you mark my words :D[/p][/quote]Probably one of the funniest post I have read. Thanks Souljacker! IanUnite
  • Score: 4

2:27pm Sat 19 Apr 14

IanUnite says...

We all know that St George was Turkish dont we?
http://www.bbc.co.uk
/history/historic_fi
gures/george_st.shtm
l

Also

There is no such thing as dragons!!

Im all for St Georges Day but as I am not religious it has no meaning for me in that way. I also celebrate St Patricks Day, Burns night. Not sure about St Andrews or St Davids day though.
We all know that St George was Turkish dont we? http://www.bbc.co.uk /history/historic_fi gures/george_st.shtm l Also There is no such thing as dragons!! Im all for St Georges Day but as I am not religious it has no meaning for me in that way. I also celebrate St Patricks Day, Burns night. Not sure about St Andrews or St Davids day though. IanUnite
  • Score: 0

2:52pm Sat 19 Apr 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
The truth is its only the fanatics that would answer a call to show pride in a Saint that is all about religion enforce onto people. St George and the Dragon first question you should be asking your self is this " who or what was the dragon if you know your history then you will know the dragon was the pagans who worship the wing serpent / Dragon were murdered if they did not convert and conform with Christianity.
I am not blood thirsty and this Saint as no connections with me, He is also only a adopted saint that appeared from the crusades.
Lets look at the others saints.
St Patrick, Christian missionary and bishop in Ireland
St Andrew, brought here by the Norman conquest
St David, David was a native of Wales
Its clear who are the adoptive saints are.
Not going then?

Does it really look like anyone is taking it seriously?

You really are so much fun... no surprise your holding a centuries old grudge seeing as you live in the past...
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: The truth is its only the fanatics that would answer a call to show pride in a Saint that is all about religion enforce onto people. St George and the Dragon first question you should be asking your self is this " who or what was the dragon if you know your history then you will know the dragon was the pagans who worship the wing serpent / Dragon were murdered if they did not convert and conform with Christianity. I am not blood thirsty and this Saint as no connections with me, He is also only a adopted saint that appeared from the crusades. Lets look at the others saints. St Patrick, Christian missionary and bishop in Ireland St Andrew, brought here by the Norman conquest St David, David was a native of Wales Its clear who are the adoptive saints are.[/p][/quote]Not going then? Does it really look like anyone is taking it seriously? You really are so much fun... no surprise your holding a centuries old grudge seeing as you live in the past... Shoong
  • Score: 0

4:11pm Sat 19 Apr 14

St.Ray says...

Kirsty666 wrote:
Immigrants is the problem were not aloud to be ENGLISH anymore than we are aloud to be BRITISH
Immigrants ARE the problem Allowed (as in permitted) NOT aloud (as in noisy) For Christ's sake learn to spell before spouting off!
[quote][p][bold]Kirsty666[/bold] wrote: Immigrants is the problem were not aloud to be ENGLISH anymore than we are aloud to be BRITISH[/p][/quote]Immigrants ARE the problem Allowed (as in permitted) NOT aloud (as in noisy) For Christ's sake learn to spell before spouting off! St.Ray
  • Score: 6

4:28pm Sat 19 Apr 14

House Sparrow says...

St.Ray wrote:
Kirsty666 wrote:
Immigrants is the problem were not aloud to be ENGLISH anymore than we are aloud to be BRITISH
Immigrants ARE the problem Allowed (as in permitted) NOT aloud (as in noisy) For Christ's sake learn to spell before spouting off!
Missed we're!!!
[quote][p][bold]St.Ray[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kirsty666[/bold] wrote: Immigrants is the problem were not aloud to be ENGLISH anymore than we are aloud to be BRITISH[/p][/quote]Immigrants ARE the problem Allowed (as in permitted) NOT aloud (as in noisy) For Christ's sake learn to spell before spouting off![/p][/quote]Missed we're!!! House Sparrow
  • Score: 3

5:57pm Sat 19 Apr 14

St.Winch70 says...

SOULJACKER wrote:
The lady says 'We should celebrate St Georges day' as others do St Patrick, St David & St Andrew, but we have one thing that is against us......We are English & as soon as you start spouting out about 'St George' killing dragons you will have the 'animal rights' people banging on about how we shouldn't be 'killing dragons' because it is cruel to mythical creatures, the anti-racism people will be going on about how he looks like some sort of 'White supremisist' from the Klan & just generally how because we are English we are all racist & mustn't dislike anybody for whatever reason, oh & of course you will have the usuals suspects on here getting all bent out of shape because I sound racist & blah, blah, blah, you mark my words :D
You talk a load of bollöcks, that's the reason why anyone should get bent out of shape with what you say.
[quote][p][bold]SOULJACKER[/bold] wrote: The lady says 'We should celebrate St Georges day' as others do St Patrick, St David & St Andrew, but we have one thing that is against us......We are English & as soon as you start spouting out about 'St George' killing dragons you will have the 'animal rights' people banging on about how we shouldn't be 'killing dragons' because it is cruel to mythical creatures, the anti-racism people will be going on about how he looks like some sort of 'White supremisist' from the Klan & just generally how because we are English we are all racist & mustn't dislike anybody for whatever reason, oh & of course you will have the usuals suspects on here getting all bent out of shape because I sound racist & blah, blah, blah, you mark my words :D[/p][/quote]You talk a load of bollöcks, that's the reason why anyone should get bent out of shape with what you say. St.Winch70
  • Score: 4

6:14pm Sat 19 Apr 14

Charlie Bucket says...

SOULJACKER wrote:
The lady says 'We should celebrate St Georges day' as others do St Patrick, St David & St Andrew, but we have one thing that is against us......We are English & as soon as you start spouting out about 'St George' killing dragons you will have the 'animal rights' people banging on about how we shouldn't be 'killing dragons' because it is cruel to mythical creatures, the anti-racism people will be going on about how he looks like some sort of 'White supremisist' from the Klan & just generally how because we are English we are all racist & mustn't dislike anybody for whatever reason, oh & of course you will have the usuals suspects on here getting all bent out of shape because I sound racist & blah, blah, blah, you mark my words :D
Animal rights? Have you lost your marbles? Are you really this desperate to feign outrage in advance? Good god, man, grow up!
[quote][p][bold]SOULJACKER[/bold] wrote: The lady says 'We should celebrate St Georges day' as others do St Patrick, St David & St Andrew, but we have one thing that is against us......We are English & as soon as you start spouting out about 'St George' killing dragons you will have the 'animal rights' people banging on about how we shouldn't be 'killing dragons' because it is cruel to mythical creatures, the anti-racism people will be going on about how he looks like some sort of 'White supremisist' from the Klan & just generally how because we are English we are all racist & mustn't dislike anybody for whatever reason, oh & of course you will have the usuals suspects on here getting all bent out of shape because I sound racist & blah, blah, blah, you mark my words :D[/p][/quote]Animal rights? Have you lost your marbles? Are you really this desperate to feign outrage in advance? Good god, man, grow up! Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 4

10:27pm Sat 19 Apr 14

SOULJACKER says...

St.Winch70 wrote:
SOULJACKER wrote:
The lady says 'We should celebrate St Georges day' as others do St Patrick, St David & St Andrew, but we have one thing that is against us......We are English & as soon as you start spouting out about 'St George' killing dragons you will have the 'animal rights' people banging on about how we shouldn't be 'killing dragons' because it is cruel to mythical creatures, the anti-racism people will be going on about how he looks like some sort of 'White supremisist' from the Klan & just generally how because we are English we are all racist & mustn't dislike anybody for whatever reason, oh & of course you will have the usuals suspects on here getting all bent out of shape because I sound racist & blah, blah, blah, you mark my words :D
You talk a load of bollöcks, that's the reason why anyone should get bent out of shape with what you say.
hahaha,

You are one of the reasons that our country isn't 'GREAT' Britain anymore,
Some people could see it for the sarcasm that it wprobably had one too many (hand) Shandys I guess.
Get a sense of humor you *ucktard!
[quote][p][bold]St.Winch70[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SOULJACKER[/bold] wrote: The lady says 'We should celebrate St Georges day' as others do St Patrick, St David & St Andrew, but we have one thing that is against us......We are English & as soon as you start spouting out about 'St George' killing dragons you will have the 'animal rights' people banging on about how we shouldn't be 'killing dragons' because it is cruel to mythical creatures, the anti-racism people will be going on about how he looks like some sort of 'White supremisist' from the Klan & just generally how because we are English we are all racist & mustn't dislike anybody for whatever reason, oh & of course you will have the usuals suspects on here getting all bent out of shape because I sound racist & blah, blah, blah, you mark my words :D[/p][/quote]You talk a load of bollöcks, that's the reason why anyone should get bent out of shape with what you say.[/p][/quote]hahaha, You are one of the reasons that our country isn't 'GREAT' Britain anymore, Some people could see it for the sarcasm that it wprobably had one too many (hand) Shandys I guess. Get a sense of humor you *ucktard! SOULJACKER
  • Score: -7

11:37pm Sat 19 Apr 14

southy says...

SotonGreen wrote:
What did this poor guy do to warrant the office hazing.
He forgot to make the tea
[quote][p][bold]SotonGreen[/bold] wrote: What did this poor guy do to warrant the office hazing.[/p][/quote]He forgot to make the tea southy
  • Score: -5

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree