A WOMAN choked to death at a Hampshire care home after food lodged in her larynx, an inquest heard.

Dementia sufferer Maureen Archer, 71, was found retching in the dining room at the Carlton House rest home in Barton Court Avenue, New Milton, on February 16.

Staff at the home rushed to her aid but were unable to save her life.

Consultant pathologist Sanjay Jogai carried out a post-mortem examination and discovered that two pieces of meat were lodged in her larynx.

Gordon Denson, deputy coroner for Southampton, said: “It seems clear that although she was in Carlton House rest home, primarily as a result of her dementia, she was perfectly healthy. Unfortunately she began choking on her food.”

Mr Denson recorded a verdict of accidental death.