Eddie the stray moggie set for new home after vets launch Facebook appeal for a new home

Daily Echo: Eddie the stray moggy with a vet Eddie the stray moggy with a vet

HE was found at death's door.

Filthy, bedraggled and confused and barely able to stand on his back legs.

But now a terminally ill moggy has been given a second lease of life.

The elderly cat, named by vets as Eddie, has become a social media sensation after he was found wandering in Southampton.

Tomorrow he is expected to be taken home by a new owner.

A woman discovered the poorly pussy in her garden in Harefield and alerted Beech House Vets.

He was so dirty they were unable to determine his breed and was racked with severe health problems.

The Bitterne-based practice immediately put an appeal on their Facebook site in the race against time to find him a new owner.

Scores of people have shared his moving story on the social networking site, with a handful eager to offer him a loving home.

Practice staff have been overwhelmed at their kindness in what is one of the biggest internet responses they have ever received.

Eddie, thought to be a Siamese or Tonkinese pedigree or cross, suffers from incurable renal failure, hyperthyroidism and senility.

Practice deputy manager Ellie Grist suspects the life-limiting conditions mean he will only live a matter of months, but said: “It's incredible how so many people have taken him to heart and want to do the best for him.

“When we picked him up he was so weak and it was difficult to tell his breed because he was so grubby.”

But she urged owners to get their pets micro-chipped so they are easier to trace when lost.

She added: “It's so worthwhile to allow us to get in touch with previous owners to let them know their animals are safe and sound.”

Sue Reed, 54, from Sholing, is among those wanting to adopt him.

She said: “Seeing how many people want to help him has moved me to tears.

“It goes to show ther are amazing people out there who go above and beyond to help.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:54am Wed 18 Jun 14

For pity sake says...

Cats and social media - yuk
Cats and social media - yuk For pity sake
  • Score: -41

12:43pm Wed 18 Jun 14

kiddynamite says...

The animals of Southampton are much nicer than most of the people!
The animals of Southampton are much nicer than most of the people! kiddynamite
  • Score: 36

6:00pm Wed 18 Jun 14

exforester says...

The Practice dealing with the cat states:

"Eddie, thought to be a Siamese or Tonkinese pedigree or cross, suffers from incurable renal failure, hyperthyroidism and senility"

"Suffers from".- Shouldn't he be allowed to die humanely?

As the cat is senile, isn't it likely he wandered away from home and can't find his way back- and isn't it possible he could do it again, when he's been rehomed?

I like cats, but this seems a bit ridiculous.
The Practice dealing with the cat states: "Eddie, thought to be a Siamese or Tonkinese pedigree or cross, suffers from incurable renal failure, hyperthyroidism and senility" "Suffers from".- Shouldn't he be allowed to die humanely? As the cat is senile, isn't it likely he wandered away from home and can't find his way back- and isn't it possible he could do it again, when he's been rehomed? I like cats, but this seems a bit ridiculous. exforester
  • Score: -12

5:55am Thu 19 Jun 14

Woolston ollie says...

Walking tubes of Shiit they should all be put down
Walking tubes of Shiit they should all be put down Woolston ollie
  • Score: -16

11:09am Thu 19 Jun 14

joe-average says...

For pity sake wrote:
Cats and social media - yuk
what a CLINT you really are
[quote][p][bold]For pity sake[/bold] wrote: Cats and social media - yuk[/p][/quote]what a CLINT you really are joe-average
  • Score: 2

11:10am Thu 19 Jun 14

joe-average says...

Woolston ollie wrote:
Walking tubes of Shiit they should all be put down
Perhaps its you that is the walking tube of ****,lets put you down eh
[quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: Walking tubes of Shiit they should all be put down[/p][/quote]Perhaps its you that is the walking tube of ****,lets put you down eh joe-average
  • Score: 6

12:19pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Woolston ollie says...

Never owned a cat but everyday i have to clean their shiit out of my garden , not just one but effing loads. Stinky vermin.
Maybe it should be like owning a dog where the owner has to pick the shiit up. I can guarantee you dont.
Never owned a cat but everyday i have to clean their shiit out of my garden , not just one but effing loads. Stinky vermin. Maybe it should be like owning a dog where the owner has to pick the shiit up. I can guarantee you dont. Woolston ollie
  • Score: -7

1:28pm Thu 19 Jun 14

joe-average says...

Woolston ollie wrote:
Never owned a cat but everyday i have to clean their shiit out of my garden , not just one but effing loads. Stinky vermin.
Maybe it should be like owning a dog where the owner has to pick the shiit up. I can guarantee you dont.
mate,we sit and watch you cleaning our cats shiit out of your garden and then as they go do it again :)lol
all joking aside,can you not see its not their fault,they have to poop somewhere just as we all do,and they dont get taken out for walks,do a bit of homework,there are many ways(pet friendly) to keep a cat from pooing in your garden.They`ll just trot off and do it somewhere else.
Failing that,get a cat,they never **** in their own backyard :)
[quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: Never owned a cat but everyday i have to clean their shiit out of my garden , not just one but effing loads. Stinky vermin. Maybe it should be like owning a dog where the owner has to pick the shiit up. I can guarantee you dont.[/p][/quote]mate,we sit and watch you cleaning our cats shiit out of your garden and then as they go do it again :)lol all joking aside,can you not see its not their fault,they have to poop somewhere just as we all do,and they dont get taken out for walks,do a bit of homework,there are many ways(pet friendly) to keep a cat from pooing in your garden.They`ll just trot off and do it somewhere else. Failing that,get a cat,they never **** in their own backyard :) joe-average
  • Score: 4

2:13pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Woolston ollie says...

First and foremost i am not your mate. We have tried lots of things to stop the vermin next is carpet gripper along the fence, love to see their faces when they climb on that LOL.
There are lots of more pet unfriendy ways to try yet.
Another one is picking it up and throwing it back in the cat owners garden
First and foremost i am not your mate. We have tried lots of things to stop the vermin next is carpet gripper along the fence, love to see their faces when they climb on that LOL. There are lots of more pet unfriendy ways to try yet. Another one is picking it up and throwing it back in the cat owners garden Woolston ollie
  • Score: -4

2:14pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Woolston ollie says...

joe-average wrote:
Woolston ollie wrote: Never owned a cat but everyday i have to clean their shiit out of my garden , not just one but effing loads. Stinky vermin. Maybe it should be like owning a dog where the owner has to pick the shiit up. I can guarantee you dont.
mate,we sit and watch you cleaning our cats shiit out of your garden and then as they go do it again :)lol all joking aside,can you not see its not their fault,they have to poop somewhere just as we all do,and they dont get taken out for walks,do a bit of homework,there are many ways(pet friendly) to keep a cat from pooing in your garden.They`ll just trot off and do it somewhere else. Failing that,get a cat,they never **** in their own backyard :)
Forgot to ask were do you live mate.
[quote][p][bold]joe-average[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: Never owned a cat but everyday i have to clean their shiit out of my garden , not just one but effing loads. Stinky vermin. Maybe it should be like owning a dog where the owner has to pick the shiit up. I can guarantee you dont.[/p][/quote]mate,we sit and watch you cleaning our cats shiit out of your garden and then as they go do it again :)lol all joking aside,can you not see its not their fault,they have to poop somewhere just as we all do,and they dont get taken out for walks,do a bit of homework,there are many ways(pet friendly) to keep a cat from pooing in your garden.They`ll just trot off and do it somewhere else. Failing that,get a cat,they never **** in their own backyard :)[/p][/quote]Forgot to ask were do you live mate. Woolston ollie
  • Score: -1

3:54pm Thu 19 Jun 14

joe-average says...

Woolston ollie wrote:
joe-average wrote:
Woolston ollie wrote: Never owned a cat but everyday i have to clean their shiit out of my garden , not just one but effing loads. Stinky vermin. Maybe it should be like owning a dog where the owner has to pick the shiit up. I can guarantee you dont.
mate,we sit and watch you cleaning our cats shiit out of your garden and then as they go do it again :)lol all joking aside,can you not see its not their fault,they have to poop somewhere just as we all do,and they dont get taken out for walks,do a bit of homework,there are many ways(pet friendly) to keep a cat from pooing in your garden.They`ll just trot off and do it somewhere else. Failing that,get a cat,they never **** in their own backyard :)
Forgot to ask were do you live mate.
clearly "mate" i live in southampton,right next to you.
My post was clearly meant in jest and you clearly arent capable of even working that out for yourself,carry on with your carpet gripper and other animal cruelty,i hope you get caught and named in the paper!
i think im gonna join in with them cats
[quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]joe-average[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: Never owned a cat but everyday i have to clean their shiit out of my garden , not just one but effing loads. Stinky vermin. Maybe it should be like owning a dog where the owner has to pick the shiit up. I can guarantee you dont.[/p][/quote]mate,we sit and watch you cleaning our cats shiit out of your garden and then as they go do it again :)lol all joking aside,can you not see its not their fault,they have to poop somewhere just as we all do,and they dont get taken out for walks,do a bit of homework,there are many ways(pet friendly) to keep a cat from pooing in your garden.They`ll just trot off and do it somewhere else. Failing that,get a cat,they never **** in their own backyard :)[/p][/quote]Forgot to ask were do you live mate.[/p][/quote]clearly "mate" i live in southampton,right next to you. My post was clearly meant in jest and you clearly arent capable of even working that out for yourself,carry on with your carpet gripper and other animal cruelty,i hope you get caught and named in the paper! i think im gonna join in with them cats joe-average
  • Score: 2

5:54am Fri 20 Jun 14

Woolston ollie says...

Please come and shiit in my garden with the rest of your vermin then i can rub your nose in it before i chuck it on your doorstep.
Cats are walking tubes of ****
Please come and shiit in my garden with the rest of your vermin then i can rub your nose in it before i chuck it on your doorstep. Cats are walking tubes of **** Woolston ollie
  • Score: 0

12:00pm Fri 20 Jun 14

From the sidelines says...

Woolston ollie wrote:
Never owned a cat but everyday i have to clean their shiit out of my garden , not just one but effing loads. Stinky vermin.
Maybe it should be like owning a dog where the owner has to pick the shiit up. I can guarantee you dont.
You need to get yourself to Marwell and beg some lion penc from them. Spread it liberally about your garden, and the local **** cats will take their penc elsewhere.

Aside from having a garden full of lion penc, you'll be sorted.
[quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: Never owned a cat but everyday i have to clean their shiit out of my garden , not just one but effing loads. Stinky vermin. Maybe it should be like owning a dog where the owner has to pick the shiit up. I can guarantee you dont.[/p][/quote]You need to get yourself to Marwell and beg some lion penc from them. Spread it liberally about your garden, and the local **** cats will take their penc elsewhere. Aside from having a garden full of lion penc, you'll be sorted. From the sidelines
  • Score: 0

6:00pm Fri 20 Jun 14

djbon87 says...

just because a cat enjoys doing his mess in your garden doesn't mean it should be put down. If a human being throws litter in your garden does he/she have to be put down? No. Humans are far by worse than any other animal on this planet, in fact we are the ONLY animal that constantly destroys the planet.
just because a cat enjoys doing his mess in your garden doesn't mean it should be put down. If a human being throws litter in your garden does he/she have to be put down? No. Humans are far by worse than any other animal on this planet, in fact we are the ONLY animal that constantly destroys the planet. djbon87
  • Score: 0

11:25pm Fri 20 Jun 14

S Pance says...

We found a cat in a similar condition in Totton last year.

None of the local vets would look at him, let alone treat him as they "don't do charity cases".

Hats off to Beech House vets!
We found a cat in a similar condition in Totton last year. None of the local vets would look at him, let alone treat him as they "don't do charity cases". Hats off to Beech House vets! S Pance
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree