Driver Jack Powell given community order for causing crash which killed Kiri Jade Hodgkinson and Barbara Ford

Kiri Jade Hodgkinson

Kiri Jade Hodgkinson

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy News Editor

A TEENAGE driver has walked out of court with a community order having caused the deaths of a young girl and a pensioner in a road crash - two weeks after passing his test.

Kiri Jade Hodgkinson was 14 years old and died at the scene of the horrific crash, having been a front seat passenger in a Renault Clio which lost control on a bend.

The car, which was being driven by 18-year-old Jack Powell, crossed the carriageway and collided with a Renault Megane travelling the opposite way.

Inside was 67-year-old Douglas Ford who was driving the car while his wife Barbara, who was the same age, was in the passenger seat.

Mr Ford, from Brading, suffered minor injuries but his wife sustained serious injuries and died in the early hours of the following day.

The crash happened on the Isle of Wight just after 3pm on January 2 this year and left Powell, from Sandown, needing to be airlifted from the scene to Southampton General Hospital where he was treated for life threatening injuries from which he has now recovered.

A 13-year-old girl had been sat on the back seat of Powell's car and was also airlifted to Southampton General Hospital after breaking both legs and her ankle.

An investigation by Hampshire police found it was extremely unlikely Mr Ford would have been able to have avoided the collision with the Clio, because it suddenly appeared in front of him and in his pathway, giving him little or no opportunity to react or take avoiding action.

Powell was charged with two counts of causing death by careless driving which he admitted at a previous hearing.

Today magistrates handed him a 12 month Community Order with 250 hours unpaid work. He was also given a nine month curfew and a five year disqualification from driving, with an order to have an extended retest before being allowed a return to driving.

Sergeant Rob Heard, deputy senior investigating officer for Operation Mohite, said: “This is a tragic case which has brought about the untimely and sudden loss of two people and serious injuries to three others.

“Jack Powell had passed his driving test just two weeks before this collision, and this case highlights the dangers that young and new drivers face when first taking to the roads independently.

“Young drivers need to be aware that just because they have passed a driving test does not mean that they are fully experienced drivers. Experience is gained every time we take to the road and never stops, we are all learning and developing our driving skills every day we drive on our roads.

“There are many courses available to help new drivers to develop their skills and I would urge young drivers to undertake additional training after passing their tests whenever possible.

“Our thoughts and best wishes go out to the families and friends of all concerned, as this tragic incident has affected many people.”

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:52pm Fri 4 Jul 14

St.Ray says...

Doesn't seem like justice to me
Doesn't seem like justice to me St.Ray
  • Score: 31

3:03pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Stroppy_gramps says...

that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it.
that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society.

no point making a tragedy worse than it already is
that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it. that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society. no point making a tragedy worse than it already is Stroppy_gramps
  • Score: -3

3:28pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Halo Saint says...

Justice system !! He was driving like a fool & killed this poor mans wife !! He should have got a prison sentence & banned from driving for life !! Its ok saying dont put him in prison because he may turn bad BUT whats to stop him being egged on by friends to JOYRIDE & do it again ?! Seems if you kill someone with a car you get off lightly but if you shot.stabbed or hung them you get life !! Kill with a car..pay the consequences !!
Justice system !! He was driving like a fool & killed this poor mans wife !! He should have got a prison sentence & banned from driving for life !! Its ok saying dont put him in prison because he may turn bad BUT whats to stop him being egged on by friends to JOYRIDE & do it again ?! Seems if you kill someone with a car you get off lightly but if you shot.stabbed or hung them you get life !! Kill with a car..pay the consequences !! Halo Saint
  • Score: 26

3:34pm Fri 4 Jul 14

foresthorse says...

Unlike the eejit above you, gramps, you're absolutely right. Does rather beg the question: why take it to court in the first place? The choice was always going to be (having pleaded guilty) jail or no jail, and why on earth bother banging him up? For what possible good? I felt much the same earlier in the week with the lad from Brock who was acquitted on the double ambulance death. Jailing him would have achieved absolutely nothing other than satisfying the vengeful bloodlust of people who ought to know better.
Unlike the eejit above you, gramps, you're absolutely right. Does rather beg the question: why take it to court in the first place? The choice was always going to be (having pleaded guilty) jail or no jail, and why on earth bother banging him up? For what possible good? I felt much the same earlier in the week with the lad from Brock who was acquitted on the double ambulance death. Jailing him would have achieved absolutely nothing other than satisfying the vengeful bloodlust of people who ought to know better. foresthorse
  • Score: -22

3:51pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Mary80 says...

No matter what if you kill someone while behind the wheel of a car it should be a mandatory jail term
No matter what if you kill someone while behind the wheel of a car it should be a mandatory jail term Mary80
  • Score: 14

4:24pm Fri 4 Jul 14

The irate commuter says...

foresthorse wrote:
Unlike the eejit above you, gramps, you're absolutely right. Does rather beg the question: why take it to court in the first place? The choice was always going to be (having pleaded guilty) jail or no jail, and why on earth bother banging him up? For what possible good? I felt much the same earlier in the week with the lad from Brock who was acquitted on the double ambulance death. Jailing him would have achieved absolutely nothing other than satisfying the vengeful bloodlust of people who ought to know better.
so according to foresthorse, you drive too fast & you kill someone... ho hum just let them off .. its no harm done is it !!
[quote][p][bold]foresthorse[/bold] wrote: Unlike the eejit above you, gramps, you're absolutely right. Does rather beg the question: why take it to court in the first place? The choice was always going to be (having pleaded guilty) jail or no jail, and why on earth bother banging him up? For what possible good? I felt much the same earlier in the week with the lad from Brock who was acquitted on the double ambulance death. Jailing him would have achieved absolutely nothing other than satisfying the vengeful bloodlust of people who ought to know better.[/p][/quote]so according to foresthorse, you drive too fast & you kill someone... ho hum just let them off .. its no harm done is it !! The irate commuter
  • Score: 18

4:45pm Fri 4 Jul 14

mickey01 says...

Stroppy_gramps wrote:
that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it.
that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society.

no point making a tragedy worse than it already is
stupid quote !! rolf gets 5 years plus and nobody died (i know kids were involved) this idiot walks away

disgusting
[quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it. that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society. no point making a tragedy worse than it already is[/p][/quote]stupid quote !! rolf gets 5 years plus and nobody died (i know kids were involved) this idiot walks away disgusting mickey01
  • Score: 7

4:55pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Dasal says...

Stroppy_gramps wrote:
that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it.
that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society.

no point making a tragedy worse than it already is
The thing is though...........
HE HAS GOT THE REST OF HIS LIFE !!!!.

2 people, because of HIS actions - HAVEN'T !!

COMMUNITY SERVICE ? If it wasn't so tragic, it would be a joke !!
[quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it. that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society. no point making a tragedy worse than it already is[/p][/quote]The thing is though........... HE HAS GOT THE REST OF HIS LIFE !!!!. 2 people, because of HIS actions - HAVEN'T !! COMMUNITY SERVICE ? If it wasn't so tragic, it would be a joke !! Dasal
  • Score: 19

6:34pm Fri 4 Jul 14

loosehead says...

So what about the families of the dead people haven't they got to live the rest of their lives with this loss?
With the knowledge this guy got away with it?
Sorry but all.mostly all criminals show regret when caught so we should take it easy on them?
Should be barred for live from driving & maybe put in the Army?
So what about the families of the dead people haven't they got to live the rest of their lives with this loss? With the knowledge this guy got away with it? Sorry but all.mostly all criminals show regret when caught so we should take it easy on them? Should be barred for live from driving & maybe put in the Army? loosehead
  • Score: 11

6:40pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Positively4thStreet says...

mickey01 wrote:
Stroppy_gramps wrote:
that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it.
that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society.

no point making a tragedy worse than it already is
stupid quote !! rolf gets 5 years plus and nobody died (i know kids were involved) this idiot walks away

disgusting
Ironically,very few children are killed by sexual predators each year,whereas hundreds are killed by drivers breaking the 30 mph speed limit,and yet nobody thinks that they could become a child killer,each time they jump in a car.There is avery good reason why that speed limit has been put in place..to safe lives,not, as many drivers seem to believe,to prevent them getting somewhere thirty seconds earlier.
The only way to reduce the appalling road casualty figures in this country, are to make the penalties for breaking the law,so punitive,that no one would dare break them,but of course,that would take political courage on the part of vote conscious political parties,so its votes verses lives.
[quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it. that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society. no point making a tragedy worse than it already is[/p][/quote]stupid quote !! rolf gets 5 years plus and nobody died (i know kids were involved) this idiot walks away disgusting[/p][/quote]Ironically,very few children are killed by sexual predators each year,whereas hundreds are killed by drivers breaking the 30 mph speed limit,and yet nobody thinks that they could become a child killer,each time they jump in a car.There is avery good reason why that speed limit has been put in place..to safe lives,not, as many drivers seem to believe,to prevent them getting somewhere thirty seconds earlier. The only way to reduce the appalling road casualty figures in this country, are to make the penalties for breaking the law,so punitive,that no one would dare break them,but of course,that would take political courage on the part of vote conscious political parties,so its votes verses lives. Positively4thStreet
  • Score: 8

6:52pm Fri 4 Jul 14

STRIPEY51 says...

My son was killed by a young man who showed no remorse , he had a fine and a three year ban, he should have gone to prison for at least three years, he was soon back driving like an idiot, we lost our son and have a life sentence, until you lose a child no one on earth can understand how that feels, you never get over it, you just learn to live with it, the courts should be harder on young drivers and this would be a deterrent to others to get a bit of experience and not drive like a maniac, and understand how things can soon go wrong.
My son was killed by a young man who showed no remorse , he had a fine and a three year ban, he should have gone to prison for at least three years, he was soon back driving like an idiot, we lost our son and have a life sentence, until you lose a child no one on earth can understand how that feels, you never get over it, you just learn to live with it, the courts should be harder on young drivers and this would be a deterrent to others to get a bit of experience and not drive like a maniac, and understand how things can soon go wrong. STRIPEY51
  • Score: 27

7:44pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Stroppy_gramps says...

STRIPEY51 wrote:
My son was killed by a young man who showed no remorse , he had a fine and a three year ban, he should have gone to prison for at least three years, he was soon back driving like an idiot, we lost our son and have a life sentence, until you lose a child no one on earth can understand how that feels, you never get over it, you just learn to live with it, the courts should be harder on young drivers and this would be a deterrent to others to get a bit of experience and not drive like a maniac, and understand how things can soon go wrong.
This is kind of exactly my point - no one posting here know if the young man in the news story showed remorse or not. it is not mentioned.

for all you lot know he could have tried to take his own life because he can't live with the result of his own actions. You. Don't. Know.

And I also ask - what would a custodial sentence achieve? other than the apparent satisfaction of some ego's on here.

Stripey - in your case, you have stated that the young man showed no remorse and I actually agree with you - a custodial sentence would have probably done that young man some good purely BECAUSE he showed no remorse.
No one here can tell from this news story what that young man has gone through so all they can offer is hatred.

it's very easy to kneejerk and scream 'throw him in prison! Ban him for life!' - that provides no solution whatsoever.
[quote][p][bold]STRIPEY51[/bold] wrote: My son was killed by a young man who showed no remorse , he had a fine and a three year ban, he should have gone to prison for at least three years, he was soon back driving like an idiot, we lost our son and have a life sentence, until you lose a child no one on earth can understand how that feels, you never get over it, you just learn to live with it, the courts should be harder on young drivers and this would be a deterrent to others to get a bit of experience and not drive like a maniac, and understand how things can soon go wrong.[/p][/quote]This is kind of exactly my point - no one posting here know if the young man in the news story showed remorse or not. it is not mentioned. for all you lot know he could have tried to take his own life because he can't live with the result of his own actions. You. Don't. Know. And I also ask - what would a custodial sentence achieve? other than the apparent satisfaction of some ego's on here. Stripey - in your case, you have stated that the young man showed no remorse and I actually agree with you - a custodial sentence would have probably done that young man some good purely BECAUSE he showed no remorse. No one here can tell from this news story what that young man has gone through so all they can offer is hatred. it's very easy to kneejerk and scream 'throw him in prison! Ban him for life!' - that provides no solution whatsoever. Stroppy_gramps
  • Score: -5

8:37pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Forest Resident says...

The purpose of a custodial sentence would have been to protect innocent members of the public from coming to further harm at the hands of this double killer. He disregarded the law to an extent that he took two lives, does anyone genuinely think that another bit of legal paper saying he is banned from driving will actually do anything at all to protect the public when he has shown no respect for the law in the first place? This sentence and indeed the verdict earlier this week against Richard Husband who also took two lives are both a complete and utter travesty of justice. The combination of the courts and the Road Traffic Act treat innocent peoples lives with outright contempt.
The purpose of a custodial sentence would have been to protect innocent members of the public from coming to further harm at the hands of this double killer. He disregarded the law to an extent that he took two lives, does anyone genuinely think that another bit of legal paper saying he is banned from driving will actually do anything at all to protect the public when he has shown no respect for the law in the first place? This sentence and indeed the verdict earlier this week against Richard Husband who also took two lives are both a complete and utter travesty of justice. The combination of the courts and the Road Traffic Act treat innocent peoples lives with outright contempt. Forest Resident
  • Score: 1

8:41pm Fri 4 Jul 14

sparkster says...

simple, do the crime do the time, yes he has to live the rest of his lifw with what he did, its the families I feel for not the person who kills, the law indeed is a travesty
simple, do the crime do the time, yes he has to live the rest of his lifw with what he did, its the families I feel for not the person who kills, the law indeed is a travesty sparkster
  • Score: 4

8:42pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Mary80 says...

its not like he stole from Tesco he KILLED two people and basically got a slap on the wrist for it. There is no justice
its not like he stole from Tesco he KILLED two people and basically got a slap on the wrist for it. There is no justice Mary80
  • Score: 8

8:42pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Wagon painted says...

He may have the rest of his live but I don't think people realise the real punishment is that this episode will punish him every day .Every one makes silly decisions as a young person and the majority of time get away with it,I know I did.His mistake cost innocent lives and I for one wouldn't want that hanging over me.To make comparisons and harsh judgements serves little purpose .Easy to be judgemental behind a keyboard
He may have the rest of his live but I don't think people realise the real punishment is that this episode will punish him every day .Every one makes silly decisions as a young person and the majority of time get away with it,I know I did.His mistake cost innocent lives and I for one wouldn't want that hanging over me.To make comparisons and harsh judgements serves little purpose .Easy to be judgemental behind a keyboard Wagon painted
  • Score: 1

8:42pm Fri 4 Jul 14

bullsbags says...

Stroppy_gramps wrote:
that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it.
that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society.

no point making a tragedy worse than it already is
Bloody do gooder
I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family
[quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it. that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society. no point making a tragedy worse than it already is[/p][/quote]Bloody do gooder I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family bullsbags
  • Score: 9

8:57pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Stroppy_gramps says...

bullsbags wrote:
Stroppy_gramps wrote:
that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it.
that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society.

no point making a tragedy worse than it already is
Bloody do gooder
I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family
for your information I support the death penalty.

not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up'

I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem.
[quote][p][bold]bullsbags[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it. that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society. no point making a tragedy worse than it already is[/p][/quote]Bloody do gooder I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family[/p][/quote]for your information I support the death penalty. not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up' I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem. Stroppy_gramps
  • Score: -6

9:07pm Fri 4 Jul 14

bullsbags says...

Stroppy_gramps wrote:
bullsbags wrote:
Stroppy_gramps wrote:
that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it.
that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society.

no point making a tragedy worse than it already is
Bloody do gooder
I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family
for your information I support the death penalty.

not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up'

I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem.
No don't throw him inside just give him a slap on the wrist
What signal does that send out ti the boy racer brigade
O yes. Let's go and have a burn up and if we kill someone it doesn't matter all we will get will be a slap on the wrist
[quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bullsbags[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it. that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society. no point making a tragedy worse than it already is[/p][/quote]Bloody do gooder I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family[/p][/quote]for your information I support the death penalty. not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up' I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem.[/p][/quote]No don't throw him inside just give him a slap on the wrist What signal does that send out ti the boy racer brigade O yes. Let's go and have a burn up and if we kill someone it doesn't matter all we will get will be a slap on the wrist bullsbags
  • Score: 4

9:13pm Fri 4 Jul 14

loosehead says...

A vehicle is not only a form of transport it's a weapon of destruction in certain peoples hands.
This person took out a car was driving it recklessly with not a care about other road users or his own passengers & KILLS two people & some on here want us to feel sorry for him?
Saying how do you know how it's effecting him & how would a prison sentence be right?
If I took out a gun & shot two people then sat crying about it would I be given a suspended sentence?
I can't believe people feel sorry for him but can't see the life sentence the families have
A vehicle is not only a form of transport it's a weapon of destruction in certain peoples hands. This person took out a car was driving it recklessly with not a care about other road users or his own passengers & KILLS two people & some on here want us to feel sorry for him? Saying how do you know how it's effecting him & how would a prison sentence be right? If I took out a gun & shot two people then sat crying about it would I be given a suspended sentence? I can't believe people feel sorry for him but can't see the life sentence the families have loosehead
  • Score: 5

9:17pm Fri 4 Jul 14

sass says...

Give him a motorcycle licence only. He will get to be a good operator or die.
Give him a motorcycle licence only. He will get to be a good operator or die. sass
  • Score: 3

9:23pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Stroppy_gramps says...

bullsbags wrote:
Stroppy_gramps wrote:
bullsbags wrote:
Stroppy_gramps wrote:
that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it.
that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society.

no point making a tragedy worse than it already is
Bloody do gooder
I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family
for your information I support the death penalty.

not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up'

I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem.
No don't throw him inside just give him a slap on the wrist
What signal does that send out ti the boy racer brigade
O yes. Let's go and have a burn up and if we kill someone it doesn't matter all we will get will be a slap on the wrist
you have no clue how the justice system works. and frankly I'm glad you aren't involved in our justice system.

and as for the other comments about feeling sorry for him - I don't feel sorry for him. not one bit. He is serving the punishment handed down by the court.

so if you have a problem with the punishment, don't blame that young man, blame the system. but then don't cry when you end up with a justice system that just concentrates on locking people away (which, I might add costs the TAXPAYER an insane amount of money each year. thats your money and my money)
and you definitely shouldn't cry when those people you are so keen to lock up get dragged into further criminality while inside, which pulls them into a vicious cycle of committing more crime when they get out.

take a step back, use the amazing mind you have and THINK instead of choosing to make a kneejerk reaction.
[quote][p][bold]bullsbags[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bullsbags[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it. that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society. no point making a tragedy worse than it already is[/p][/quote]Bloody do gooder I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family[/p][/quote]for your information I support the death penalty. not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up' I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem.[/p][/quote]No don't throw him inside just give him a slap on the wrist What signal does that send out ti the boy racer brigade O yes. Let's go and have a burn up and if we kill someone it doesn't matter all we will get will be a slap on the wrist[/p][/quote]you have no clue how the justice system works. and frankly I'm glad you aren't involved in our justice system. and as for the other comments about feeling sorry for him - I don't feel sorry for him. not one bit. He is serving the punishment handed down by the court. so if you have a problem with the punishment, don't blame that young man, blame the system. but then don't cry when you end up with a justice system that just concentrates on locking people away (which, I might add costs the TAXPAYER an insane amount of money each year. thats your money and my money) and you definitely shouldn't cry when those people you are so keen to lock up get dragged into further criminality while inside, which pulls them into a vicious cycle of committing more crime when they get out. take a step back, use the amazing mind you have and THINK instead of choosing to make a kneejerk reaction. Stroppy_gramps
  • Score: 1

9:30pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Positively4thStreet says...

Stroppy_gramps wrote:
bullsbags wrote:
Stroppy_gramps wrote:
that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it.
that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society.

no point making a tragedy worse than it already is
Bloody do gooder
I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family
for your information I support the death penalty.

not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up'

I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem.
Saying that someone should be thrown in prison after the event,is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.The emphasis should be on education,supported by preventative deterrents.
The threat of huge fines,coupled with massive bans and mandatory retests even for more minor offences, would be enough to put the majority of motorists off breaking the law forever.Causing the loss of a life should just automatically result in a driver losing their licence,and never getting it back.
On top of that,the use of mobile phones whilst driving,or participating in distraction activities, like fiddling with sound systems,eating and drinking,smoking,or just simply not concentrating,should be promoted as anti social behaviour in the same way as drink/drug driving,and penalised more severely to bring home that message that private motoring requires as much responsibility,as driving a bus or a train,or flying a plane,because there is the potential to cause serious injury and death by being irresponsible.
[quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bullsbags[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it. that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society. no point making a tragedy worse than it already is[/p][/quote]Bloody do gooder I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family[/p][/quote]for your information I support the death penalty. not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up' I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem.[/p][/quote]Saying that someone should be thrown in prison after the event,is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.The emphasis should be on education,supported by preventative deterrents. The threat of huge fines,coupled with massive bans and mandatory retests even for more minor offences, would be enough to put the majority of motorists off breaking the law forever.Causing the loss of a life should just automatically result in a driver losing their licence,and never getting it back. On top of that,the use of mobile phones whilst driving,or participating in distraction activities, like fiddling with sound systems,eating and drinking,smoking,or just simply not concentrating,should be promoted as anti social behaviour in the same way as drink/drug driving,and penalised more severely to bring home that message that private motoring requires as much responsibility,as driving a bus or a train,or flying a plane,because there is the potential to cause serious injury and death by being irresponsible. Positively4thStreet
  • Score: -2

10:00pm Fri 4 Jul 14

newsknight says...

All motor vehicles are a potential danger - to err is human, and humans are drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists all using ever decreasing areas of road systems due to the increase in all traffic. We all need to be vigilant - the frightening element in the mix is 'attitude'. Years ago we saved every penny for a first car - you bend it you mend it - so you were careful, and the car was a valued possession. Nowadays it seems to be a right - parents buy these kids cars and are glad they do not have to play taxi - hands washed then!! Respect for the car and its potential danger to others has been lost. Face all drivers with a graphic display of an accident, the impact on families, and make these idiots who have quite evidently caused death by dangerous driving speak of the error of their ways on tape - greater impact and a chance drivers may think before acting dangerously if they understand full the consequences.
All motor vehicles are a potential danger - to err is human, and humans are drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists all using ever decreasing areas of road systems due to the increase in all traffic. We all need to be vigilant - the frightening element in the mix is 'attitude'. Years ago we saved every penny for a first car - you bend it you mend it - so you were careful, and the car was a valued possession. Nowadays it seems to be a right - parents buy these kids cars and are glad they do not have to play taxi - hands washed then!! Respect for the car and its potential danger to others has been lost. Face all drivers with a graphic display of an accident, the impact on families, and make these idiots who have quite evidently caused death by dangerous driving speak of the error of their ways on tape - greater impact and a chance drivers may think before acting dangerously if they understand full the consequences. newsknight
  • Score: 3

10:06pm Fri 4 Jul 14

bullsbags says...

Positively4thStreet wrote:
Stroppy_gramps wrote:
bullsbags wrote:
Stroppy_gramps wrote:
that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it.
that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society.

no point making a tragedy worse than it already is
Bloody do gooder
I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family
for your information I support the death penalty.

not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up'

I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem.
Saying that someone should be thrown in prison after the event,is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.The emphasis should be on education,supported by preventative deterrents.
The threat of huge fines,coupled with massive bans and mandatory retests even for more minor offences, would be enough to put the majority of motorists off breaking the law forever.Causing the loss of a life should just automatically result in a driver losing their licence,and never getting it back.
On top of that,the use of mobile phones whilst driving,or participating in distraction activities, like fiddling with sound systems,eating and drinking,smoking,or just simply not concentrating,should be promoted as anti social behaviour in the same way as drink/drug driving,and penalised more severely to bring home that message that private motoring requires as much responsibility,as driving a bus or a train,or flying a plane,because there is the potential to cause serious injury and death by being irresponsible.
Whilst I agree with a lot you both say I still maintain that if someone gets into a car,drives like a lunatic and as a result innocent people are killed,regardless of feelings of guilt,driving bans,rehabilitation etc they should still go inside for a while. Not only would it give them time to reflect on what they have done IT MIGHTact as a deterrent to others
It's just my opinion ,that's all
[quote][p][bold]Positively4thStreet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bullsbags[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it. that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society. no point making a tragedy worse than it already is[/p][/quote]Bloody do gooder I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family[/p][/quote]for your information I support the death penalty. not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up' I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem.[/p][/quote]Saying that someone should be thrown in prison after the event,is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.The emphasis should be on education,supported by preventative deterrents. The threat of huge fines,coupled with massive bans and mandatory retests even for more minor offences, would be enough to put the majority of motorists off breaking the law forever.Causing the loss of a life should just automatically result in a driver losing their licence,and never getting it back. On top of that,the use of mobile phones whilst driving,or participating in distraction activities, like fiddling with sound systems,eating and drinking,smoking,or just simply not concentrating,should be promoted as anti social behaviour in the same way as drink/drug driving,and penalised more severely to bring home that message that private motoring requires as much responsibility,as driving a bus or a train,or flying a plane,because there is the potential to cause serious injury and death by being irresponsible.[/p][/quote]Whilst I agree with a lot you both say I still maintain that if someone gets into a car,drives like a lunatic and as a result innocent people are killed,regardless of feelings of guilt,driving bans,rehabilitation etc they should still go inside for a while. Not only would it give them time to reflect on what they have done IT MIGHTact as a deterrent to others It's just my opinion ,that's all bullsbags
  • Score: 5

11:59pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Positively4thStreet says...

bullsbags wrote:
Positively4thStreet wrote:
Stroppy_gramps wrote:
bullsbags wrote:
Stroppy_gramps wrote:
that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it.
that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society.

no point making a tragedy worse than it already is
Bloody do gooder
I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family
for your information I support the death penalty.

not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up'

I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem.
Saying that someone should be thrown in prison after the event,is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.The emphasis should be on education,supported by preventative deterrents.
The threat of huge fines,coupled with massive bans and mandatory retests even for more minor offences, would be enough to put the majority of motorists off breaking the law forever.Causing the loss of a life should just automatically result in a driver losing their licence,and never getting it back.
On top of that,the use of mobile phones whilst driving,or participating in distraction activities, like fiddling with sound systems,eating and drinking,smoking,or just simply not concentrating,should be promoted as anti social behaviour in the same way as drink/drug driving,and penalised more severely to bring home that message that private motoring requires as much responsibility,as driving a bus or a train,or flying a plane,because there is the potential to cause serious injury and death by being irresponsible.
Whilst I agree with a lot you both say I still maintain that if someone gets into a car,drives like a lunatic and as a result innocent people are killed,regardless of feelings of guilt,driving bans,rehabilitation etc they should still go inside for a while. Not only would it give them time to reflect on what they have done IT MIGHTact as a deterrent to others
It's just my opinion ,that's all
Yes,sorry,I didn't mean that killing someone should only be punished by losing the driving licence forever,obviously the punishment should fit the crime,and if it is serious enough,then a custodial sentence should be mandatory.
[quote][p][bold]bullsbags[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Positively4thStreet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bullsbags[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: that's because you aren't on the receiving end of it. that young man has to live the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did - a custodial sentence of any kind would be wasted on him. In fact it would probably be the worst thing possible for him since it would put him in with the dregs of society. no point making a tragedy worse than it already is[/p][/quote]Bloody do gooder I wonder if you would be saying that if he killed a member of your family[/p][/quote]for your information I support the death penalty. not much of a 'do-gooder' about that is there. so, since you don't know me how about you have yourself a nice big plate of 'shut the f*ck up' I believe in necessary punishment which that young man is receiving. what i don't believe in is the 'throw him in prison' simpleton attitude that a lot of people including yourself seem to have - it doesn't solve the problem.[/p][/quote]Saying that someone should be thrown in prison after the event,is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.The emphasis should be on education,supported by preventative deterrents. The threat of huge fines,coupled with massive bans and mandatory retests even for more minor offences, would be enough to put the majority of motorists off breaking the law forever.Causing the loss of a life should just automatically result in a driver losing their licence,and never getting it back. On top of that,the use of mobile phones whilst driving,or participating in distraction activities, like fiddling with sound systems,eating and drinking,smoking,or just simply not concentrating,should be promoted as anti social behaviour in the same way as drink/drug driving,and penalised more severely to bring home that message that private motoring requires as much responsibility,as driving a bus or a train,or flying a plane,because there is the potential to cause serious injury and death by being irresponsible.[/p][/quote]Whilst I agree with a lot you both say I still maintain that if someone gets into a car,drives like a lunatic and as a result innocent people are killed,regardless of feelings of guilt,driving bans,rehabilitation etc they should still go inside for a while. Not only would it give them time to reflect on what they have done IT MIGHTact as a deterrent to others It's just my opinion ,that's all[/p][/quote]Yes,sorry,I didn't mean that killing someone should only be punished by losing the driving licence forever,obviously the punishment should fit the crime,and if it is serious enough,then a custodial sentence should be mandatory. Positively4thStreet
  • Score: 0

12:17am Sat 5 Jul 14

_watchman says...

I think we should all ask what message this sends out to drivers of all ages, not just the young ? Jenny Makin did well to report this unbiasedly, as I'm sure I would not have, This tragic sequence of events has left many family members grieving, so lets spare a thought for them.
I think we should all ask what message this sends out to drivers of all ages, not just the young ? Jenny Makin did well to report this unbiasedly, as I'm sure I would not have, This tragic sequence of events has left many family members grieving, so lets spare a thought for them. _watchman
  • Score: 3

7:09am Sat 5 Jul 14

Displayhere says...

Maybe life for a life is too harsh, but there should be a minimum prison sentence. The shock would be a good way to deter someone from doing it again. As for the fact it cost the Tax payer money yes you are right our prison system is wrong too. Anyone who goes to prison should have to pay for the privilege as well by working while they are in there.
The sentence really doesn't fit the crime here we are not talking about a simple crime but the death of a person. It could have been a whole group of children on their way to school or a family member.
Maybe life for a life is too harsh, but there should be a minimum prison sentence. The shock would be a good way to deter someone from doing it again. As for the fact it cost the Tax payer money yes you are right our prison system is wrong too. Anyone who goes to prison should have to pay for the privilege as well by working while they are in there. The sentence really doesn't fit the crime here we are not talking about a simple crime but the death of a person. It could have been a whole group of children on their way to school or a family member. Displayhere
  • Score: 1

7:25am Sat 5 Jul 14

Saints1983101 says...

According to previous articles regarding this matter, the poor girl that passed away was in fact Mr Powell's girlfriend!! What was an18 yr old man doing with a14 year old girlfriend???????? Was there a crime being committed that people weren't aware of? The fact that lives were lost surely constitutes more than a community order? The poor man who lost his wife, a completely innocent party may agree. The two girl passengers chose to get in a vehicle with a man who passed his test two weeks previous. They would have been aware of Powell's inexperience but the elderly couple completely oblivious to the fact are paying a heavier price surely?
According to previous articles regarding this matter, the poor girl that passed away was in fact Mr Powell's girlfriend!! What was an18 yr old man doing with a14 year old girlfriend???????? Was there a crime being committed that people weren't aware of? The fact that lives were lost surely constitutes more than a community order? The poor man who lost his wife, a completely innocent party may agree. The two girl passengers chose to get in a vehicle with a man who passed his test two weeks previous. They would have been aware of Powell's inexperience but the elderly couple completely oblivious to the fact are paying a heavier price surely? Saints1983101
  • Score: 1

9:50am Sat 5 Jul 14

hampshireheart says...

Forest Resident wrote:
The purpose of a custodial sentence would have been to protect innocent members of the public from coming to further harm at the hands of this double killer. He disregarded the law to an extent that he took two lives, does anyone genuinely think that another bit of legal paper saying he is banned from driving will actually do anything at all to protect the public when he has shown no respect for the law in the first place? This sentence and indeed the verdict earlier this week against Richard Husband who also took two lives are both a complete and utter travesty of justice. The combination of the courts and the Road Traffic Act treat innocent peoples lives with outright contempt.
You are very judgemental about things you obviously know nothing about. As Richard Husband was found not guilty he did not 'take two lives' as you put it. I could be wrong but I am suspecting you know nothing about the details of these cases and therefore your sweeping comments show as much 'outright contempt' for actual facts as you claim is shown by the courts.
[quote][p][bold]Forest Resident[/bold] wrote: The purpose of a custodial sentence would have been to protect innocent members of the public from coming to further harm at the hands of this double killer. He disregarded the law to an extent that he took two lives, does anyone genuinely think that another bit of legal paper saying he is banned from driving will actually do anything at all to protect the public when he has shown no respect for the law in the first place? This sentence and indeed the verdict earlier this week against Richard Husband who also took two lives are both a complete and utter travesty of justice. The combination of the courts and the Road Traffic Act treat innocent peoples lives with outright contempt.[/p][/quote]You are very judgemental about things you obviously know nothing about. As Richard Husband was found not guilty he did not 'take two lives' as you put it. I could be wrong but I am suspecting you know nothing about the details of these cases and therefore your sweeping comments show as much 'outright contempt' for actual facts as you claim is shown by the courts. hampshireheart
  • Score: 0

10:02am Sat 5 Jul 14

miltonarcher says...

Get these young drivers off our roads! Or at the very least bring in legislation that requires all drivers under the age of 21 to be accompanied by a qualified driver of 21+. They should also display a "P" plate until age of 21. This carnage caused by young drivers has to be stopped.
Get these young drivers off our roads! Or at the very least bring in legislation that requires all drivers under the age of 21 to be accompanied by a qualified driver of 21+. They should also display a "P" plate until age of 21. This carnage caused by young drivers has to be stopped. miltonarcher
  • Score: 1

11:09am Sat 5 Jul 14

cliffwalker says...

Whatever readers who were not in court may think, Powell was charged by the investigating police with causing death by careless driving, which he admitted, and was sentenced by an experienced magistrate who, we must assume, listened to the evidence and properly considered the correct sentence. The magistrate will, of course, have been bound by statute and by guidelines and precedent. If anyone believes the punishments ordained for such cases (or indeed, any cases) are inadequate, their recourse is to the legislators - in other words, get in touch with your MP.
Whatever readers who were not in court may think, Powell was charged by the investigating police with causing death by careless driving, which he admitted, and was sentenced by an experienced magistrate who, we must assume, listened to the evidence and properly considered the correct sentence. The magistrate will, of course, have been bound by statute and by guidelines and precedent. If anyone believes the punishments ordained for such cases (or indeed, any cases) are inadequate, their recourse is to the legislators - in other words, get in touch with your MP. cliffwalker
  • Score: 1

2:30pm Sat 5 Jul 14

Dai Rear says...

loosehead wrote:
A vehicle is not only a form of transport it's a weapon of destruction in certain peoples hands.
This person took out a car was driving it recklessly with not a care about other road users or his own passengers & KILLS two people & some on here want us to feel sorry for him?
Saying how do you know how it's effecting him & how would a prison sentence be right?
If I took out a gun & shot two people then sat crying about it would I be given a suspended sentence?
I can't believe people feel sorry for him but can't see the life sentence the families have
Well , if there was evidence he was driving dangerously (reckless driving was abolished years ago) and that evidence would have been of the calculation of the speed with which he drove into the corner, then he would have been charged with dangerous driving and imprisoned if convicted. He was charged with careless driving. In other words his approach speed was not that great; he was simply not competent to drive properly round the corner. 4 or 5 years ago that would not have been an imprisonable offence.
As a matter of interest if you are an incompetent golfer, slice the ball, it strikes someone on the head and they die, the criminal law is not engaged at all.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: A vehicle is not only a form of transport it's a weapon of destruction in certain peoples hands. This person took out a car was driving it recklessly with not a care about other road users or his own passengers & KILLS two people & some on here want us to feel sorry for him? Saying how do you know how it's effecting him & how would a prison sentence be right? If I took out a gun & shot two people then sat crying about it would I be given a suspended sentence? I can't believe people feel sorry for him but can't see the life sentence the families have[/p][/quote]Well , if there was evidence he was driving dangerously (reckless driving was abolished years ago) and that evidence would have been of the calculation of the speed with which he drove into the corner, then he would have been charged with dangerous driving and imprisoned if convicted. He was charged with careless driving. In other words his approach speed was not that great; he was simply not competent to drive properly round the corner. 4 or 5 years ago that would not have been an imprisonable offence. As a matter of interest if you are an incompetent golfer, slice the ball, it strikes someone on the head and they die, the criminal law is not engaged at all. Dai Rear
  • Score: 0

7:17pm Sat 5 Jul 14

Forest Resident says...

hampshireheart wrote:
Forest Resident wrote:
The purpose of a custodial sentence would have been to protect innocent members of the public from coming to further harm at the hands of this double killer. He disregarded the law to an extent that he took two lives, does anyone genuinely think that another bit of legal paper saying he is banned from driving will actually do anything at all to protect the public when he has shown no respect for the law in the first place? This sentence and indeed the verdict earlier this week against Richard Husband who also took two lives are both a complete and utter travesty of justice. The combination of the courts and the Road Traffic Act treat innocent peoples lives with outright contempt.
You are very judgemental about things you obviously know nothing about. As Richard Husband was found not guilty he did not 'take two lives' as you put it. I could be wrong but I am suspecting you know nothing about the details of these cases and therefore your sweeping comments show as much 'outright contempt' for actual facts as you claim is shown by the courts.
Had Richard Husband actually looked in his rear view mirror and also checked his blind spot (as one is taught and must demonstrate on a driving test) two innocent people would very much likely still be alive today, that much is quite plainly obvious to anyone with a mediocum of common sense. If his actions alone didn't take those two peoples lives then please, do inform me who's did?
[quote][p][bold]hampshireheart[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Forest Resident[/bold] wrote: The purpose of a custodial sentence would have been to protect innocent members of the public from coming to further harm at the hands of this double killer. He disregarded the law to an extent that he took two lives, does anyone genuinely think that another bit of legal paper saying he is banned from driving will actually do anything at all to protect the public when he has shown no respect for the law in the first place? This sentence and indeed the verdict earlier this week against Richard Husband who also took two lives are both a complete and utter travesty of justice. The combination of the courts and the Road Traffic Act treat innocent peoples lives with outright contempt.[/p][/quote]You are very judgemental about things you obviously know nothing about. As Richard Husband was found not guilty he did not 'take two lives' as you put it. I could be wrong but I am suspecting you know nothing about the details of these cases and therefore your sweeping comments show as much 'outright contempt' for actual facts as you claim is shown by the courts.[/p][/quote]Had Richard Husband actually looked in his rear view mirror and also checked his blind spot (as one is taught and must demonstrate on a driving test) two innocent people would very much likely still be alive today, that much is quite plainly obvious to anyone with a mediocum of common sense. If his actions alone didn't take those two peoples lives then please, do inform me who's did? Forest Resident
  • Score: 1

12:42am Sun 6 Jul 14

hampshireheart says...

Forest Resident wrote:
hampshireheart wrote:
Forest Resident wrote:
The purpose of a custodial sentence would have been to protect innocent members of the public from coming to further harm at the hands of this double killer. He disregarded the law to an extent that he took two lives, does anyone genuinely think that another bit of legal paper saying he is banned from driving will actually do anything at all to protect the public when he has shown no respect for the law in the first place? This sentence and indeed the verdict earlier this week against Richard Husband who also took two lives are both a complete and utter travesty of justice. The combination of the courts and the Road Traffic Act treat innocent peoples lives with outright contempt.
You are very judgemental about things you obviously know nothing about. As Richard Husband was found not guilty he did not 'take two lives' as you put it. I could be wrong but I am suspecting you know nothing about the details of these cases and therefore your sweeping comments show as much 'outright contempt' for actual facts as you claim is shown by the courts.
Had Richard Husband actually looked in his rear view mirror and also checked his blind spot (as one is taught and must demonstrate on a driving test) two innocent people would very much likely still be alive today, that much is quite plainly obvious to anyone with a mediocum of common sense. If his actions alone didn't take those two peoples lives then please, do inform me who's did?
I just ask - were you in court to hear all the evidence? Not just the scant bits provided by the Echo (based on the prosecution), - but all of the evidence including that provided by the defence? Surely you are not so fixated on his guilt that you don't think that there may have been other factors which contributed? Unlike you I don't think it is my place to 'inform' anyone of anything when I don't have all the facts. I find your adamance that he is solely responsible perplexing and narrow minded. The judge and jury sat through all the evidence and after careful consideration decided that it was not his fault. That implies that that there is more to it. Are you not open to that idea? Whether or not he made a mistake that day, maybe there were others who made mistakes..
[quote][p][bold]Forest Resident[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hampshireheart[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Forest Resident[/bold] wrote: The purpose of a custodial sentence would have been to protect innocent members of the public from coming to further harm at the hands of this double killer. He disregarded the law to an extent that he took two lives, does anyone genuinely think that another bit of legal paper saying he is banned from driving will actually do anything at all to protect the public when he has shown no respect for the law in the first place? This sentence and indeed the verdict earlier this week against Richard Husband who also took two lives are both a complete and utter travesty of justice. The combination of the courts and the Road Traffic Act treat innocent peoples lives with outright contempt.[/p][/quote]You are very judgemental about things you obviously know nothing about. As Richard Husband was found not guilty he did not 'take two lives' as you put it. I could be wrong but I am suspecting you know nothing about the details of these cases and therefore your sweeping comments show as much 'outright contempt' for actual facts as you claim is shown by the courts.[/p][/quote]Had Richard Husband actually looked in his rear view mirror and also checked his blind spot (as one is taught and must demonstrate on a driving test) two innocent people would very much likely still be alive today, that much is quite plainly obvious to anyone with a mediocum of common sense. If his actions alone didn't take those two peoples lives then please, do inform me who's did?[/p][/quote]I just ask - were you in court to hear all the evidence? Not just the scant bits provided by the Echo (based on the prosecution), - but all of the evidence including that provided by the defence? Surely you are not so fixated on his guilt that you don't think that there may have been other factors which contributed? Unlike you I don't think it is my place to 'inform' anyone of anything when I don't have all the facts. I find your adamance that he is solely responsible perplexing and narrow minded. The judge and jury sat through all the evidence and after careful consideration decided that it was not his fault. That implies that that there is more to it. Are you not open to that idea? Whether or not he made a mistake that day, maybe there were others who made mistakes.. hampshireheart
  • Score: -2

3:57pm Sun 6 Jul 14

jonone says...

Stroppy_gramps wrote:
STRIPEY51 wrote:
My son was killed by a young man who showed no remorse , he had a fine and a three year ban, he should have gone to prison for at least three years, he was soon back driving like an idiot, we lost our son and have a life sentence, until you lose a child no one on earth can understand how that feels, you never get over it, you just learn to live with it, the courts should be harder on young drivers and this would be a deterrent to others to get a bit of experience and not drive like a maniac, and understand how things can soon go wrong.
This is kind of exactly my point - no one posting here know if the young man in the news story showed remorse or not. it is not mentioned.

for all you lot know he could have tried to take his own life because he can't live with the result of his own actions. You. Don't. Know.

And I also ask - what would a custodial sentence achieve? other than the apparent satisfaction of some ego's on here.

Stripey - in your case, you have stated that the young man showed no remorse and I actually agree with you - a custodial sentence would have probably done that young man some good purely BECAUSE he showed no remorse.
No one here can tell from this news story what that young man has gone through so all they can offer is hatred.

it's very easy to kneejerk and scream 'throw him in prison! Ban him for life!' - that provides no solution whatsoever.
The next time this happens, I genuinely hope a member of your family is the victim.

People get a slap on the wrist thanks to a society generated by liberal numpties like you.
[quote][p][bold]Stroppy_gramps[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]STRIPEY51[/bold] wrote: My son was killed by a young man who showed no remorse , he had a fine and a three year ban, he should have gone to prison for at least three years, he was soon back driving like an idiot, we lost our son and have a life sentence, until you lose a child no one on earth can understand how that feels, you never get over it, you just learn to live with it, the courts should be harder on young drivers and this would be a deterrent to others to get a bit of experience and not drive like a maniac, and understand how things can soon go wrong.[/p][/quote]This is kind of exactly my point - no one posting here know if the young man in the news story showed remorse or not. it is not mentioned. for all you lot know he could have tried to take his own life because he can't live with the result of his own actions. You. Don't. Know. And I also ask - what would a custodial sentence achieve? other than the apparent satisfaction of some ego's on here. Stripey - in your case, you have stated that the young man showed no remorse and I actually agree with you - a custodial sentence would have probably done that young man some good purely BECAUSE he showed no remorse. No one here can tell from this news story what that young man has gone through so all they can offer is hatred. it's very easy to kneejerk and scream 'throw him in prison! Ban him for life!' - that provides no solution whatsoever.[/p][/quote]The next time this happens, I genuinely hope a member of your family is the victim. People get a slap on the wrist thanks to a society generated by liberal numpties like you. jonone
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree