When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Teenager whose life was saved by defibrillator makes special presentation
MONTHS ago he was in a hospital bed after his life was saved by a defibrillator.
Now Romsey teenager Sam Mangoro is presenting the vital equipment to a Hampshire school to make sure they can help others in his situation in the future.
Sam, 16, collapsed during a PE lesson at Mountbatten School and was saved after quick-thinking staff shocked him with a defibrillator four times.
Since then the Daily Echo has been calling on all Hampshire schools to provide the vital equipment on site through our Save a Life in Schools campaign with support from Sam and his family.
Sam, who attended the school for a term two years ago, raised the money for the defibrillator through an online appeal with hundreds of pounds donated to the cause.
Raise awareness But that money can now be used to help another school after South Central Ambulance Service decided to cover the cost of the £700 defibrillator.
Mum Lynda said: “We have had very generous contributions from friends and family and followers of our website.
“We chose Crestwood because when we first moved to the area we had difficulty getting Sam into a school in Romsey but he did get a place at Crestwood where he went for a term.
“We are working alongside South Central Ambulance Service to contact schools and raise awareness about defibrillators and they were very knowledgeable about which schools have them and m e n t i o n e d Crestwood.
“We thought it would be nice if there was a family connection for the first school we could give a defibrillator to.”
Sam added he had fond memories of Crestwood and was looking forward to returning next Thursday evening.
He said: “Everyone there was really nice and I made a few friends and I’m glad the first place I can donate a defibrillator to is somewhere I know personally.
“I’m grateful to everyone who donated; I didn’t see this coming so soon.
“All the effort that people have put in is paying off and hopefully this is the first of many defibrillators we can donate.”
Since his heart attack Sam has had an internal defibrillator fitted to regulate his heartbeat.