Ajab Khalil jailed for trying to murder his own brother in Southampton

Man jailed for trying to murder his own brother

Ajab Khalil

Colvelly Road, Southampton

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Winchester Chief Reporter

A Hampshire taxi driver was savagely attacked by his own brother with a knife in an attempt to murder him.

Ajab Khalil has repeatedly refused to explain the reason for the unprovoked attack in Southampton and has been jailed for 14 years.

Sangar Khan, a self-employed cabbie, told a court of the desperate struggle as he tried to fend off Khalil before housemates saved him.

Mr Khan suffered several wounds in the frenzied assault by Ajab Khahil, 30, a heavy cannabis user, the trial at Winchester Crown Court heard.

The six-man and six-woman jury took three hours to unanimously convict Khalil of attempted murder.

Sentencing, the judge, Mr Justice Royce, described Khalil as a very dangerous man.

He said: “Why you did what you did remains a mystery. When you were a child he (Mr Khan) played a prominent part in bringing you up after your father died early. He showed you nothing but kindness and help.”

Khalil, an illegal immigrant, refused to speak to police, give instructions to his barristers or evidence at the trial. He did finally concede to his counsel Matthew Jewell that he was drunk and had been heavily using cannabis.

The court heard that Mr Khan, who works in Winchester, is now anxious, scared and suffers occasional nightmares. He can only work six hours a day because of ongoing pain.

The judge said: “He is worried about his brother coming back even if he is deported and not knowing why his brother should attempt to kill him.

“He regards you as a very dangerous person. He fears that if you are released it will not stop you coming after him as you have demonstrated ability to get back into this country notwithstanding you have been deported.”

The trial heard Khalil had arrived at Mr Khan’s home in Clovelly Road, St Mary’s, last summer after time in a detention centre. He had earlier been living in Denmark, the court heard.

Nick Tucker, prosecuting, said that as housemates rushed to help, Khalil said: “Let me go. I want to kill him.”

Mr Khan told the jury: “I went to sleep and the next thing I know he was stabbing me. I see the knife by my nose. I just thought I was dreaming. I’m asking ‘why, why are you doing this?’

“He stabbed me in the nose, the side of my head, the ear, my back, my thigh. He was stabbing me again and again, aiming for my heart. I grabbed hold of the knife and cut my finger. I kicked him in the chest. I was screaming and shouting. He was swapping the knife from hand to hand

“Then one of my friends, Mohammed Khan, came in. I thought an angel had come to save me. He held my brother, he restrained him. There were three of us struggling for the knife. My friend hit his (Khalil’s) hand against the wall and he dropped the knife.”

The trial had to be suspended for 15 minutes after Mr Khan broke down in tears.

Mr Khan said his brother had been acting strangely in the days leading up to the attack, pacing around, talking to himself. He suggested Khalil was angry with him because he had spent time in a detention centre.

After the attack Mr Khan was taken to Southampton General Hospital and needed several stitches to numerous, mainly superficial, wounds. Mr Tucker said: “The fact the victim’s wounds were not life threatening was simply fortuitous.”

A psychiatric report said Khalil was not suffering from mental illness.

The court heard Kahlil, a Pakistani, will be deported on his release from prison. He also ordered he pay a £120 victim surcharge.

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:24am Fri 18 Jul 14

rudolph_hucker says...

Send him back to Pakistan ASAP
We have enough criminals without the need to import any more.
Send him back to Pakistan ASAP We have enough criminals without the need to import any more. rudolph_hucker
  • Score: 35

6:33am Fri 18 Jul 14

Kirsty666 says...

I hope his brother is ok and doesn't forgive him for this crime. I expect after he has served his minimum of 14 years he'll be deported.
I hope his brother is ok and doesn't forgive him for this crime. I expect after he has served his minimum of 14 years he'll be deported. Kirsty666
  • Score: 14

7:06am Fri 18 Jul 14

thesouth says...

Wish the victim a full recovery
Wish the victim a full recovery thesouth
  • Score: 11

8:58am Fri 18 Jul 14

mickey01 says...

charlie bucket where are you ?
charlie bucket where are you ? mickey01
  • Score: 0

9:47am Fri 18 Jul 14

Hastagger says...

FFS! how did he get a taxi license if he was an illegal immigrant - surely SCC need to be taken to task over this.

#deportthelot
FFS! how did he get a taxi license if he was an illegal immigrant - surely SCC need to be taken to task over this. #deportthelot Hastagger
  • Score: -6

9:48am Fri 18 Jul 14

Hastagger says...

I bet when he is about to be deported he tries to use article 8 - a right to a family life to stop it, because his brother is here.

#voteUKIP
#humanrightsnotcrimi
nalrights
I bet when he is about to be deported he tries to use article 8 - a right to a family life to stop it, because his brother is here. #voteUKIP #humanrightsnotcrimi nalrights Hastagger
  • Score: 0

10:00am Fri 18 Jul 14

steekeemcglue says...

how the hell is a pakistani allowed to work here as a cabbie ? they are not in the EU , its not a vital skill ? just how the hell is he allowed to live and work here ?
how the hell is a pakistani allowed to work here as a cabbie ? they are not in the EU , its not a vital skill ? just how the hell is he allowed to live and work here ? steekeemcglue
  • Score: 15

11:23am Fri 18 Jul 14

Snowfox84 says...

Are you illiterate Hastagger or just plain thick or both?

The victim was a licenced cabbie. It's his attacker bother who was the illegal immigrant.
Are you illiterate Hastagger or just plain thick or both? The victim was a licenced cabbie. It's his attacker bother who was the illegal immigrant. Snowfox84
  • Score: 21

11:24am Fri 18 Jul 14

Snowfox84 says...

Or even brother!
Or even brother! Snowfox84
  • Score: 2

11:29am Fri 18 Jul 14

rudolph_hucker says...

Snowfox84 wrote:
Are you illiterate Hastagger or just plain thick or both? The victim was a licenced cabbie. It's his attacker bother who was the illegal immigrant.
The ECHO changed the story after getting it the wrong way around.
They originally said the attacker was the cabbie, so you can't berate Hastagger over that one : )
[quote][p][bold]Snowfox84[/bold] wrote: Are you illiterate Hastagger or just plain thick or both? The victim was a licenced cabbie. It's his attacker bother who was the illegal immigrant.[/p][/quote]The ECHO changed the story after getting it the wrong way around. They originally said the attacker was the cabbie, so you can't berate Hastagger over that one : ) rudolph_hucker
  • Score: 10

11:33am Fri 18 Jul 14

Snowfox84 says...

rudolph_hucker wrote:
Snowfox84 wrote:
Are you illiterate Hastagger or just plain thick or both? The victim was a licenced cabbie. It's his attacker bother who was the illegal immigrant.
The ECHO changed the story after getting it the wrong way around.
They originally said the attacker was the cabbie, so you can't berate Hastagger over that one : )
Given that this article was last updated 8.40 this morning and Hastagger wrote his stupid comment at 9.47am, that excuse doesn't wash Rudolph
[quote][p][bold]rudolph_hucker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Snowfox84[/bold] wrote: Are you illiterate Hastagger or just plain thick or both? The victim was a licenced cabbie. It's his attacker bother who was the illegal immigrant.[/p][/quote]The ECHO changed the story after getting it the wrong way around. They originally said the attacker was the cabbie, so you can't berate Hastagger over that one : )[/p][/quote]Given that this article was last updated 8.40 this morning and Hastagger wrote his stupid comment at 9.47am, that excuse doesn't wash Rudolph Snowfox84
  • Score: 3

11:45am Fri 18 Jul 14

espanuel says...

Snowfox84 wrote:
rudolph_hucker wrote:
Snowfox84 wrote:
Are you illiterate Hastagger or just plain thick or both? The victim was a licenced cabbie. It's his attacker bother who was the illegal immigrant.
The ECHO changed the story after getting it the wrong way around.
They originally said the attacker was the cabbie, so you can't berate Hastagger over that one : )
Given that this article was last updated 8.40 this morning and Hastagger wrote his stupid comment at 9.47am, that excuse doesn't wash Rudolph
Well done some people only read what they want to READ.
[quote][p][bold]Snowfox84[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rudolph_hucker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Snowfox84[/bold] wrote: Are you illiterate Hastagger or just plain thick or both? The victim was a licenced cabbie. It's his attacker bother who was the illegal immigrant.[/p][/quote]The ECHO changed the story after getting it the wrong way around. They originally said the attacker was the cabbie, so you can't berate Hastagger over that one : )[/p][/quote]Given that this article was last updated 8.40 this morning and Hastagger wrote his stupid comment at 9.47am, that excuse doesn't wash Rudolph[/p][/quote]Well done some people only read what they want to READ. espanuel
  • Score: 1

1:11pm Fri 18 Jul 14

thesouth says...

steekeemcglue wrote:
how the hell is a pakistani allowed to work here as a cabbie ? they are not in the EU , its not a vital skill ? just how the hell is he allowed to live and work here ?
Because the cabbie is here legally that's how!!!!!!!
The suspect was here illegally and didn't work

Hope the victim is well
[quote][p][bold]steekeemcglue[/bold] wrote: how the hell is a pakistani allowed to work here as a cabbie ? they are not in the EU , its not a vital skill ? just how the hell is he allowed to live and work here ?[/p][/quote]Because the cabbie is here legally that's how!!!!!!! The suspect was here illegally and didn't work Hope the victim is well thesouth
  • Score: 2

4:49pm Fri 18 Jul 14

9 Toes Romsey says...

Deport this piece of scum.
Deport this piece of scum. 9 Toes Romsey
  • Score: 7

6:00pm Fri 18 Jul 14

SouthamptonLegend says...

Another misconception that cannabis makes you violent!

It does the complete opposite (just incase some people don't know and are not educated...).
Another misconception that cannabis makes you violent! It does the complete opposite (just incase some people don't know and are not educated...). SouthamptonLegend
  • Score: -4

6:49pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Balsamic says...

Hastagger wrote:
I bet when he is about to be deported he tries to use article 8 - a right to a family life to stop it, because his brother is here.

#voteUKIP
#humanrightsnotcrimi

nalrights
And he has a cat ,and it would be against his human rights to be separated from it.
Probably an Isis sleeper
[quote][p][bold]Hastagger[/bold] wrote: I bet when he is about to be deported he tries to use article 8 - a right to a family life to stop it, because his brother is here. #voteUKIP #humanrightsnotcrimi nalrights[/p][/quote]And he has a cat ,and it would be against his human rights to be separated from it. Probably an Isis sleeper Balsamic
  • Score: 0

9:06pm Fri 18 Jul 14

steekeemcglue says...

thesouth wrote:
steekeemcglue wrote:
how the hell is a pakistani allowed to work here as a cabbie ? they are not in the EU , its not a vital skill ? just how the hell is he allowed to live and work here ?
Because the cabbie is here legally that's how!!!!!!!
The suspect was here illegally and didn't work

Hope the victim is well
how can he be here legally , there is no working visa for cab driving ?
[quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]steekeemcglue[/bold] wrote: how the hell is a pakistani allowed to work here as a cabbie ? they are not in the EU , its not a vital skill ? just how the hell is he allowed to live and work here ?[/p][/quote]Because the cabbie is here legally that's how!!!!!!! The suspect was here illegally and didn't work Hope the victim is well[/p][/quote]how can he be here legally , there is no working visa for cab driving ? steekeemcglue
  • Score: -1

9:17am Sat 19 Jul 14

Charlie Bucket says...

mickey01 wrote:
charlie bucket where are you ?
I'm right here. Why? Do you think this is clinching proof that all foreigners are criminals?
[quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: charlie bucket where are you ?[/p][/quote]I'm right here. Why? Do you think this is clinching proof that all foreigners are criminals? Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 1

9:49am Sat 19 Jul 14

Charlie Bucket says...

Kirsty666 wrote:
I hope his brother is ok and doesn't forgive him for this crime. I expect after he has served his minimum of 14 years he'll be deported.
Why do you hope he DOESN'T forgive his brother? What possible effect could that have on you? Your every post is "so-and-so should do such-and-such". What possible joy would you get from this?
[quote][p][bold]Kirsty666[/bold] wrote: I hope his brother is ok and doesn't forgive him for this crime. I expect after he has served his minimum of 14 years he'll be deported.[/p][/quote]Why do you hope he DOESN'T forgive his brother? What possible effect could that have on you? Your every post is "so-and-so should do such-and-such". What possible joy would you get from this? Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 1

9:49am Sat 19 Jul 14

Charlie Bucket says...

Kirsty666 wrote:
I hope his brother is ok and doesn't forgive him for this crime. I expect after he has served his minimum of 14 years he'll be deported.
Why do you hope he DOESN'T forgive his brother? What possible effect could that have on you? Your every post is "so-and-so should do such-and-such". What possible joy would you get from this?
[quote][p][bold]Kirsty666[/bold] wrote: I hope his brother is ok and doesn't forgive him for this crime. I expect after he has served his minimum of 14 years he'll be deported.[/p][/quote]Why do you hope he DOESN'T forgive his brother? What possible effect could that have on you? Your every post is "so-and-so should do such-and-such". What possible joy would you get from this? Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 1

4:44pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Dr Martin says...

SouthamptonLegend wrote:
Another misconception that cannabis makes you violent!

It does the complete opposite (just incase some people don't know and are not educated...).
but cannabis can make you paranoid mix that with too much alcohol

and hey presto you get a violent paranoid person who thinks people are out to get him
[quote][p][bold]SouthamptonLegend[/bold] wrote: Another misconception that cannabis makes you violent! It does the complete opposite (just incase some people don't know and are not educated...).[/p][/quote]but cannabis can make you paranoid mix that with too much alcohol and hey presto you get a violent paranoid person who thinks people are out to get him Dr Martin
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Yves1977 says...

The Echo story was always accurate - its the same in the newspaper version, if anyone wants to check
The Echo story was always accurate - its the same in the newspaper version, if anyone wants to check Yves1977
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree