Passengers had to be evacuated from a bus after it caught fire.

The single decker Eclipse bus was in Creek Road, Gosport when a fire developed in its air conditioning unit on the roof. Watch manager at Gosport station Andy Marsh said the bus driver had pulled into the bus stop near the Morrisons supermarket when he smelt burning. He realised the unit on the roof was on fire and got everyone off.

No one was hurt. Crews from Gosport and Cosham attended after receiving the call at 2pm on Tuesday.

A First spokeswoman said this was the first fire-related incident on board its Eclipse buses, which run services between Fareham and Gosport, and an investigation had been launched.