A MAN was rescued after his kitchen became engulfed in flames when his neighbour saw him clambering onto the roof.

The gentleman, only known as Phil, escaped his three-storey home at Waterworks Road in Otterbourne, via the dormer window, after a fire began in his kitchen.

It is believed the house quickly filled with smoke forcing him to flee via the top storey.

Luckily a neighbour, who asked not to be named, raised the alarm after witnessing the ordeal. His stepson, who works for Phil, soon tried to climb up to help him.

“He got out onto the roof and was calling for help,” the neighbour said. “My stepson ran over and then we called the fire brigade.

“You could see the flames and he was suffering from smoke inhalation. He left the window open after he climbed out of it and the smoke got out it started to affect his breathing.”

It is understood the man lives in the house with his wife and their three children.

The neighbour added: “They're all on holiday at the moment so thankfully they weren't at home too.”

A spokesman for South Central Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 11.36pm to reports of a house fire. We sent a hazardous area response team, one ambulance officer and crew. They assessed a gentleman who is believed to have had non-life threatening injuries and was taken to Southampton General Hospital.”

Watch manager Kevin Robson, of Winchester fire station, said crews from Eastleigh and Winchester were sent to tackle the blaze.

“We got the call at 11.37pm to reports of a man on the roof,” he said. “He climbed out the dormer window and fire fighters pitched a ladder and rescued him.

“Two hamsters were rescued as well.”