A WOMAN and two children were last night in hospital after being dragged from a blazing car in a Hampshire village.

The children - a six-year-old girl and a five-year-old boy - were pulled free from inside the car by a passer by who raced to the rescue after spotting the vehicle engulfed in flames with the pair trapped.

Daily Echo:

The boy airlifted to hospital was said to be fighting for his life while the woman, who is aged 37, and the girl were in a serious condition having suffered multiple burns.

All three, who are from Southampton, were rescued from the fire and transported to hospital.

The woman and girl are described as being in a serious condition. The boy is described as having suffered life threatening injuries.

Daily Echo:

Last night the scene of the explosion was cordoned off by police as they launched their investigation into exactly what caused the blaze which left the three in hospital.

The horror unfolded just after 8pm last night when witnesses, driving along Merdon Castle Lane, in Hursley, reported seeing a Ford Fiesta which had exploded into flames.

They could see two children were inside, while a frantic woman was seen standing close to the vehicle.

One man, who had been confronted by the terrifying scene moments before, was already desperately trying to drag the children out of the car as emergency services raced to their rescue.

Police and fire crews all descended on the scene just after 8pm, followed by South Central Ambulance Service who sent the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance, three road ambulances, two rapid response vehicles and the Hazardous Area Response Team.

Daily Echo:

 The boy suffered such severe burns that his condition was described as life-threatening and he was taken to Southampton General Hospital via the air ambulance.

The girl and the woman suffered severe burns and were taken to the same hospital via road ambulance.

Daily Echo:

A statement from Hampshire Police read: “Emergency services have responded to a car fire on Merdon Castle Lane, Hursley.

“The call was received by a member of the public just after 8pm.

“A woman and two young children were transported to Southampton General Hospital suffering with serious burns.”

The spokesperson added that the road would be closed as long as investigations into the cause of the blaze got underway.

This morning a police road closure still remains in place at the scene where a woman and two children were dragged from a burning car last night.

A large section of Merdon Castle Lane in Hursley is closed as police investigate the incident.

A police patrol car and an officer is standing by at one end of the closure and a large white plastic sheet can be seen in the middle of the road.

The police officer was unable to confirm how long the road closure would be in place when asked.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the Hampshire Major Incident team quoting Operation Ursa by calling 101.