A MURDER investigation has been launched into the death of a former Southampton student and her toddler son.

Angel Hudson is believed to have taken her own life and that of her 22-month-old son Arthur Hudson-Cardy, with police leading the inquiry confirming they are not looking for anyone else.

The 26-year-old was a former student at Southampton Solent University, where she studied photography and played an active role in the student union.

The alarm was raised by neighbours at Ms Hudson’s Lancashire home when they become concerned that the blinds had not been opened and that they had not seen the family for a couple of days.

When they spotted the car in the garage, they called Angel’s dad, Chris Howe, who told them to call the police when his attempts to get his daughter on the phone failed.

It is not yet clear how the two died, but post-mortems have been carried out and detectives are awaiting results. However, police confirmed that they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths.

Paying tribute to his daughter, Mr Howe said: “Their short lives brought much laughter and joy to those who knew them.

“A truly special bond held mother and son together tightly and their pure love radiated from their beautiful smiles. Angel, a devoted, loving mother, and Arthur, a bright intelligent little boy, radiated happiness to all those they met.

“Their light continues to shine in our hearts and we hold them tightly as we wait to be together once more.”

It is understood that Angel, originally from the south-west, and her son moved to the house in Princess Way, Euxton, at the beginning of the year following the death of her great-aunt, who lived in the house previously.

A spokesman for Southampton Solent University also paid tribute to the former student.

They said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of former student Angel Hudson. During her time at the university she was an active member of the student community and was involved with the student union.”

Detective Superintendent Eddie Thistlethwaite, who has been leading the investigation since the bodies were found on Wednesday evening, said: “This is a tragic case.

“It is being treated as a murder inquiry, although we are not looking for anybody else in connection with this incident.”