Speeding crackdown catches over 200 motorists

A mobile camera unit

A mobile camera unit

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter

MORE than 200 people were caught carrying out motoring offences during a day-long police speed crackdown.

Hampshire police's road policing team took part in the Europe-wide TISPOL speed enforcement campaign earlier this week and captured a total of 217 offences on county roads.

Officers caught 113 motorists speeding in good vehicles weighing 7.5 tonnes and captured 89 car drivers and motorcyclists breaking the speed limit.

A total of 15 people were captured for other offences, including using a mobile phone and failing to wear a seatbelt.

The operation was carried out on single and dual carriageway roads across Hampshire on Tuesday.

The Southern Regional Safety Camera Group used mobile cameras during the campaign and specifically focused ensuring goods vehicles of less than 7.5 tonnes observed the speed limits they are restricted to on the roads.

As previously reported, 27 per cent of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions were recorded as contributory factors.

It was a three per cent rise from the previous year.

Hampshire's road safety sergeant Rob Heard said: “People need to realise it's a speed limit and not a target so it may be more appropriate to travel at a lower speed depending on the road conditions for their own safety. This is particularly important when dealing with vehicles which have a restricted limit below the usual speed on these roads.

“I would also remind other road users of these class restrictions and urge them to remain patient when travelling behind a slower moving vehicle complying with the speed limit that applies to them.

“Excessive or inappropriate speed has a singularly devastating impact on the safety of road users, increasing both the risk of a crash and the severity of the consequences. Hampshire Constabulary is committed to increasing road safety and will continue to target those who fail to abide by the speed limits “

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:56pm Fri 22 Aug 14

mickey01 says...

great news now if they could just catch the skip lorry driving morons who travel to fordingbridge well above the 40 limit i would be happy
great news now if they could just catch the skip lorry driving morons who travel to fordingbridge well above the 40 limit i would be happy mickey01
  • Score: 18

6:17pm Fri 22 Aug 14

Positively4thStreet says...

Impatient drivers,are the killers.Mandatory £1000 minimum fines,would end most of the problems overnight.Vote hungry politicians havent got the the guts to see it enforced though,so precious lives will continue to be needlessly lost.
Slow down people,if you get somewhere 30 seconds later,so what?!..at least you and other road users will get there,not like the other alternative.
Impatient drivers,are the killers.Mandatory £1000 minimum fines,would end most of the problems overnight.Vote hungry politicians havent got the the guts to see it enforced though,so precious lives will continue to be needlessly lost. Slow down people,if you get somewhere 30 seconds later,so what?!..at least you and other road users will get there,not like the other alternative. Positively4thStreet
  • Score: 3

6:22pm Fri 22 Aug 14

Maine Lobster says...

There needs to be a sensible Police approach to this type of campaign. Breaking the speed limit is wrong but those who commit a minor breach ought to be given a small fine only. For those committing excessive speeding and other more serious offences,like mobIle phone use, by all means fine and endorse their licence.
This type of campaign also needs to be applied to other road users who break the rules but who seem to be ignored by the Police, namely the legions of cyclists who ride without lights at night and ignore traffic signals and pedestrian crossings.
There needs to be a sensible Police approach to this type of campaign. Breaking the speed limit is wrong but those who commit a minor breach ought to be given a small fine only. For those committing excessive speeding and other more serious offences,like mobIle phone use, by all means fine and endorse their licence. This type of campaign also needs to be applied to other road users who break the rules but who seem to be ignored by the Police, namely the legions of cyclists who ride without lights at night and ignore traffic signals and pedestrian crossings. Maine Lobster
  • Score: 32

6:33pm Fri 22 Aug 14

Rockhopper says...

Great work from Hampshire Police.
Hope this action will be repeated on a regular basis.
Great work from Hampshire Police. Hope this action will be repeated on a regular basis. Rockhopper
  • Score: -4

7:03pm Fri 22 Aug 14

Stubs says...

Has the Police tried going to Hedge End where Mc Donald's is and try catching the boy racers who race round the roundabouts in the evenings. They think there on some sort of race track.
Has the Police tried going to Hedge End where Mc Donald's is and try catching the boy racers who race round the roundabouts in the evenings. They think there on some sort of race track. Stubs
  • Score: 18

7:19pm Fri 22 Aug 14

grampsw says...

Its time the police hit the 3 junctions on Romsey road where over 100 offences are committed every day of the year between Green lane and lower and upper Brown hill road Maybush.
Its time the police hit the 3 junctions on Romsey road where over 100 offences are committed every day of the year between Green lane and lower and upper Brown hill road Maybush. grampsw
  • Score: 6

8:32pm Fri 22 Aug 14

Crazywolf says...

Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.
Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit. Crazywolf
  • Score: 10

8:41pm Fri 22 Aug 14

dango says...

they didn't get me (_Y_)
they didn't get me (_Y_) dango
  • Score: -6

8:42pm Fri 22 Aug 14

Bowmore says...

grampsw wrote:
Its time the police hit the 3 junctions on Romsey road where over 100 offences are committed every day of the year between Green lane and lower and upper Brown hill road Maybush.
I pass those junctions twice a day and most days i see someone making an illegal turn at one of those junction,
[quote][p][bold]grampsw[/bold] wrote: Its time the police hit the 3 junctions on Romsey road where over 100 offences are committed every day of the year between Green lane and lower and upper Brown hill road Maybush.[/p][/quote]I pass those junctions twice a day and most days i see someone making an illegal turn at one of those junction, Bowmore
  • Score: 6

9:02pm Fri 22 Aug 14

Reality-man says...

Crazywolf wrote:
Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.
I'm in my car most of the day, every day. I do around 800-1000 miles per week. I find lorry drivers to be the best on the road. Most have speed limiters fitted in their vehicles and would struggle to go much over the speed limit even if they wanted to. I think you should focus your attention elsewhere
[quote][p][bold]Crazywolf[/bold] wrote: Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.[/p][/quote]I'm in my car most of the day, every day. I do around 800-1000 miles per week. I find lorry drivers to be the best on the road. Most have speed limiters fitted in their vehicles and would struggle to go much over the speed limit even if they wanted to. I think you should focus your attention elsewhere Reality-man
  • Score: -2

9:43pm Fri 22 Aug 14

SPIKEISLANDTRADER says...

Get a life ! And catch REAL criminals !!!!!!!!
Get a life ! And catch REAL criminals !!!!!!!! SPIKEISLANDTRADER
  • Score: -15

10:21pm Fri 22 Aug 14

miltonarcher says...

Reality-man wrote:
Crazywolf wrote:
Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.
I'm in my car most of the day, every day. I do around 800-1000 miles per week. I find lorry drivers to be the best on the road. Most have speed limiters fitted in their vehicles and would struggle to go much over the speed limit even if they wanted to. I think you should focus your attention elsewhere
What speed are they limited to? I see these idiots speeding on 40 and 30 mph zones. They also tailgate. Next time you are on a motorway check out the HGV 's , driving nose to tail, stopping distances mean nothing to them. HGV drivers are the worst on the roads.
[quote][p][bold]Reality-man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Crazywolf[/bold] wrote: Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.[/p][/quote]I'm in my car most of the day, every day. I do around 800-1000 miles per week. I find lorry drivers to be the best on the road. Most have speed limiters fitted in their vehicles and would struggle to go much over the speed limit even if they wanted to. I think you should focus your attention elsewhere[/p][/quote]What speed are they limited to? I see these idiots speeding on 40 and 30 mph zones. They also tailgate. Next time you are on a motorway check out the HGV 's , driving nose to tail, stopping distances mean nothing to them. HGV drivers are the worst on the roads. miltonarcher
  • Score: 11

10:40pm Fri 22 Aug 14

derek james says...

whenever i see these cameras they always seem to be where the limit changes from 40-30,for example on a main road, sited to catch the max amount of motorists at the change in speed limits spot, as mentioned by others they seem reluctant to set up where antisocial speeding takes place in built up areas.
whenever i see these cameras they always seem to be where the limit changes from 40-30,for example on a main road, sited to catch the max amount of motorists at the change in speed limits spot, as mentioned by others they seem reluctant to set up where antisocial speeding takes place in built up areas. derek james
  • Score: 20

12:00am Sat 23 Aug 14

Reality-man says...

miltonarcher wrote:
Reality-man wrote:
Crazywolf wrote:
Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.
I'm in my car most of the day, every day. I do around 800-1000 miles per week. I find lorry drivers to be the best on the road. Most have speed limiters fitted in their vehicles and would struggle to go much over the speed limit even if they wanted to. I think you should focus your attention elsewhere
What speed are they limited to? I see these idiots speeding on 40 and 30 mph zones. They also tailgate. Next time you are on a motorway check out the HGV 's , driving nose to tail, stopping distances mean nothing to them. HGV drivers are the worst on the roads.
Utter nonsense! 'when I'm in the road next'? As stated I'm on the road all day every day. Lorry drivers never tailgate me, cars and bikes do, lorry drivers don't sit in the middle lane, they use the lanes correctly, car drivers rarely do. Lorry drivers don't bomb past me at 80,90 or 100mph cars and bikes do. I cover 5 counties and drive a variety of roads and stand by my statement that lorry drivers are the most courteous and sensible drivers on the road. You clearly drive either very rarely or on another planet
[quote][p][bold]miltonarcher[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Reality-man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Crazywolf[/bold] wrote: Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.[/p][/quote]I'm in my car most of the day, every day. I do around 800-1000 miles per week. I find lorry drivers to be the best on the road. Most have speed limiters fitted in their vehicles and would struggle to go much over the speed limit even if they wanted to. I think you should focus your attention elsewhere[/p][/quote]What speed are they limited to? I see these idiots speeding on 40 and 30 mph zones. They also tailgate. Next time you are on a motorway check out the HGV 's , driving nose to tail, stopping distances mean nothing to them. HGV drivers are the worst on the roads.[/p][/quote]Utter nonsense! 'when I'm in the road next'? As stated I'm on the road all day every day. Lorry drivers never tailgate me, cars and bikes do, lorry drivers don't sit in the middle lane, they use the lanes correctly, car drivers rarely do. Lorry drivers don't bomb past me at 80,90 or 100mph cars and bikes do. I cover 5 counties and drive a variety of roads and stand by my statement that lorry drivers are the most courteous and sensible drivers on the road. You clearly drive either very rarely or on another planet Reality-man
  • Score: 0

12:38am Sat 23 Aug 14

sass says...

Petrol is far too cheap. Speeders should have to pay extra for fuel, and increasingly so, until they get the message.
Petrol is far too cheap. Speeders should have to pay extra for fuel, and increasingly so, until they get the message. sass
  • Score: -7

7:03am Sat 23 Aug 14

Scuttles says...

Crazywolf wrote:
Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.
Just because someone drives for a living does not make them a professional driver.
[quote][p][bold]Crazywolf[/bold] wrote: Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.[/p][/quote]Just because someone drives for a living does not make them a professional driver. Scuttles
  • Score: 1

7:04am Sat 23 Aug 14

Scuttles says...

Crazywolf wrote:
Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.
Just because someone drives for a living does not make them a professional driver.
[quote][p][bold]Crazywolf[/bold] wrote: Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.[/p][/quote]Just because someone drives for a living does not make them a professional driver. Scuttles
  • Score: -2

7:53am Sat 23 Aug 14

bigfella777 says...

Tailgating is my biggest gripe
When your doing 70 and the blue and white badge comes up behind you, the flash of the headlights, I'm in a BMW and I'm more important than you so get out of my way routine. They make people so angry,do they have a different speed limit to everyone else?
Tailgating is my biggest gripe When your doing 70 and the blue and white badge comes up behind you, the flash of the headlights, I'm in a BMW and I'm more important than you so get out of my way routine. They make people so angry,do they have a different speed limit to everyone else? bigfella777
  • Score: 1

9:00am Sat 23 Aug 14

good-gosh says...

I like the police, but why do they make me feel so guilty – even when if I haven’t done anything wrong all morning?
I like the police, but why do they make me feel so guilty – even when if I haven’t done anything wrong all morning? good-gosh
  • Score: 4

9:06am Sat 23 Aug 14

camerajuan says...

sass wrote:
Petrol is far too cheap. Speeders should have to pay extra for fuel, and increasingly so, until they get the message.
I hope you're being sarcastic.
[quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: Petrol is far too cheap. Speeders should have to pay extra for fuel, and increasingly so, until they get the message.[/p][/quote]I hope you're being sarcastic. camerajuan
  • Score: 4

9:15am Sat 23 Aug 14

sadler says...

Scuttles wrote:
Crazywolf wrote:
Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.
Just because someone drives for a living does not make them a professional driver.
Actually by definition it does.
[quote][p][bold]Scuttles[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Crazywolf[/bold] wrote: Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.[/p][/quote]Just because someone drives for a living does not make them a professional driver.[/p][/quote]Actually by definition it does. sadler
  • Score: 7

1:10pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Heinz Kiosk says...

Please could they catch the being who travels round Lymington with an inverted silver po on his/her/its head on one of the most noisily flatulent poppers in the county?
Please could they catch the being who travels round Lymington with an inverted silver po on his/her/its head on one of the most noisily flatulent poppers in the county? Heinz Kiosk
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Well I never ... says...

"As previously reported, 27 per cent of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions were recorded as contributory factors. "

Which means that 83% per of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions WERE NOT recorded as contributory factors. "
"As previously reported, 27 per cent of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions were recorded as contributory factors. " Which means that 83% per of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions WERE NOT recorded as contributory factors. " Well I never ...
  • Score: 1

2:01pm Sat 23 Aug 14

George4th says...

Show me a vehicle driver and I'll show you someone who always has an excuse, a reason, a defence, a plea or a critisism for why the law doesn't apply to them!

Ahhh, the infallible vehicle driver..............
.......!
Show me a vehicle driver and I'll show you someone who always has an excuse, a reason, a defence, a plea or a critisism for why the law doesn't apply to them! Ahhh, the infallible vehicle driver.............. .......! George4th
  • Score: -1

4:16pm Sat 23 Aug 14

SimonSomeone says...

SPIKEISLANDTRADER wrote:
Get a life ! And catch REAL criminals !!!!!!!!
"And catch REAL criminals". So 2,500 deaths a year (more than 4 times the murder rate) is not worth going after? I don't think it's other people who need to "get a life"!
[quote][p][bold]SPIKEISLANDTRADER[/bold] wrote: Get a life ! And catch REAL criminals !!!!!!!![/p][/quote]"And catch REAL criminals". So 2,500 deaths a year (more than 4 times the murder rate) is not worth going after? I don't think it's other people who need to "get a life"! SimonSomeone
  • Score: 3

5:19pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Zexagon says...

Well I never ... wrote:
"As previously reported, 27 per cent of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions were recorded as contributory factors. "

Which means that 83% per of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions WERE NOT recorded as contributory factors. "
83%?
[quote][p][bold]Well I never ...[/bold] wrote: "As previously reported, 27 per cent of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions were recorded as contributory factors. " Which means that 83% per of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions WERE NOT recorded as contributory factors. "[/p][/quote]83%? Zexagon
  • Score: 1

10:06pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Niel says...

Interesting, shame they don't target the speeders through the road-works limits around J5 of the M27, 30 limit ignored totally everyday by those rushing into Southampton, especially during the morning rush. Then again the silver BMW driver who passed me in Waltham Chase this evening doing 50 plus in the 30 past the pub, lucky no one pulled out on him, and across solid white lines as well, could do with points and can probably afford the fine easily too. Perhaps a motorcyclist on a big bike sticking to the posted speed limit upset his view of the world...
Interesting, shame they don't target the speeders through the road-works limits around J5 of the M27, 30 limit ignored totally everyday by those rushing into Southampton, especially during the morning rush. Then again the silver BMW driver who passed me in Waltham Chase this evening doing 50 plus in the 30 past the pub, lucky no one pulled out on him, and across solid white lines as well, could do with points and can probably afford the fine easily too. Perhaps a motorcyclist on a big bike sticking to the posted speed limit upset his view of the world... Niel
  • Score: 5

10:08pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Niel says...

I'd love to know just how many of the 89 were motorcyclists too BTW.
I'd love to know just how many of the 89 were motorcyclists too BTW. Niel
  • Score: 2

11:52pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Crazywolf says...

Reality-man wrote:
miltonarcher wrote:
Reality-man wrote:
Crazywolf wrote:
Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.
I'm in my car most of the day, every day. I do around 800-1000 miles per week. I find lorry drivers to be the best on the road. Most have speed limiters fitted in their vehicles and would struggle to go much over the speed limit even if they wanted to. I think you should focus your attention elsewhere
What speed are they limited to? I see these idiots speeding on 40 and 30 mph zones. They also tailgate. Next time you are on a motorway check out the HGV 's , driving nose to tail, stopping distances mean nothing to them. HGV drivers are the worst on the roads.
Utter nonsense! 'when I'm in the road next'? As stated I'm on the road all day every day. Lorry drivers never tailgate me, cars and bikes do, lorry drivers don't sit in the middle lane, they use the lanes correctly, car drivers rarely do. Lorry drivers don't bomb past me at 80,90 or 100mph cars and bikes do. I cover 5 counties and drive a variety of roads and stand by my statement that lorry drivers are the most courteous and sensible drivers on the road. You clearly drive either very rarely or on another planet
I drive a lot too. while lorry drivers are good at controlling their vehicles I find them to be among the most selfish on the roads. what with their "elephant races", parking where they like (usually obstructing) and (my pet hate) using their indicators as a statement - I am pulling out like it or not - instead of an indication of intent. If I had a pound for every time I had to brake because a lorry 'just pulled out' I'd be a rich man.
[quote][p][bold]Reality-man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]miltonarcher[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Reality-man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Crazywolf[/bold] wrote: Interesting that so many lorry drivers, who always claim to be "professional Drivers" can't stick to the speed limit.[/p][/quote]I'm in my car most of the day, every day. I do around 800-1000 miles per week. I find lorry drivers to be the best on the road. Most have speed limiters fitted in their vehicles and would struggle to go much over the speed limit even if they wanted to. I think you should focus your attention elsewhere[/p][/quote]What speed are they limited to? I see these idiots speeding on 40 and 30 mph zones. They also tailgate. Next time you are on a motorway check out the HGV 's , driving nose to tail, stopping distances mean nothing to them. HGV drivers are the worst on the roads.[/p][/quote]Utter nonsense! 'when I'm in the road next'? As stated I'm on the road all day every day. Lorry drivers never tailgate me, cars and bikes do, lorry drivers don't sit in the middle lane, they use the lanes correctly, car drivers rarely do. Lorry drivers don't bomb past me at 80,90 or 100mph cars and bikes do. I cover 5 counties and drive a variety of roads and stand by my statement that lorry drivers are the most courteous and sensible drivers on the road. You clearly drive either very rarely or on another planet[/p][/quote]I drive a lot too. while lorry drivers are good at controlling their vehicles I find them to be among the most selfish on the roads. what with their "elephant races", parking where they like (usually obstructing) and (my pet hate) using their indicators as a statement - I am pulling out like it or not - instead of an indication of intent. If I had a pound for every time I had to brake because a lorry 'just pulled out' I'd be a rich man. Crazywolf
  • Score: 0

3:20pm Mon 25 Aug 14

Well I never ... says...

Zexagon wrote:
Well I never ... wrote:
"As previously reported, 27 per cent of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions were recorded as contributory factors. "

Which means that 83% per of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions WERE NOT recorded as contributory factors. "
83%?
Sorry - it's only 73% where speed WAS NOT a contributory factor.

Of course - it would be nice if they were to give us the details of the "contributory factors2 for this 73% - not much chance of that though.
[quote][p][bold]Zexagon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Well I never ...[/bold] wrote: "As previously reported, 27 per cent of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions were recorded as contributory factors. " Which means that 83% per of people killed in road crashes in Hampshire last year died in accidents where exceeding the speed limit or travelling too fast for the conditions WERE NOT recorded as contributory factors. "[/p][/quote]83%?[/p][/quote]Sorry - it's only 73% where speed WAS NOT a contributory factor. Of course - it would be nice if they were to give us the details of the "contributory factors2 for this 73% - not much chance of that though. Well I never ...
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree