HE is a “monster” who subjected his terrified victim to years of horrific sexual attacks, driving her to the brink of insanity.

Peter Burns tied up the young girl and repeatedly raped her, threatening her not to make a sound otherwise he would “make it hurt”.

The 47-year-old, from Alresford, didn’t even care when the petrified girl told him he was a monster – simply replying that it “didn’t matter”.

But today Burns is behind bars after a jury found him guilty of five counts of rape, sexual assault and another serious sex offence, all of which left his victim contemplating suicide.

Judge Keith Cutler jailed Burns for 15 years, calling his actions “a breach of trust” and ordering that he remain on the sex offenders register for life.

He added: “You were able to target her and develop your sexual interest in her.

“You enjoyed the power that gave you. You did not have any concerns about what that was doing to her; she was just an object of your lust.

“She contemplated suicide and self-harm, didn’t know where to turn but felt she had to go along with what you wanted.”

Winchester Crown Court heard during the trial how Burns would terrorise the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, whenever he had the opportunity, taking her to locations across Alresford, including in his car and a shed.

During his summing up of the trial, Judge Cutler read out the victim’s evidence, part off which had been presented via video.

“I felt powerless, there was nothing I could do,” she had said. “I’d close my eyes and pretend I was somewhere else. He told me if I was loud he’d make it hurt.

“It would bring me to the brink of insanity and back.

“It felt like it was never going to end. He said I wasn’t allowed to say no. It was a dangerous secret.”

During the trial Burns claimed the sex had been consensual and had only occurred after the girl had turned 16, referring to their relationship as an “affair” which he regretted.

Giving evidence, the youngster said that she had wept throughout Burns’ attacks and on one occasion had called him a “monster” when she pleaded with him to stop.

Defence counsel Marie Spenwyn said she was unable to forward any strong arguments for mitigation.

She said: “There have been no other concerns raised about any other potential victims.”

The court heard that Burns has previous convictions for burglary, theft and selling false charity lottery tickets.

The jury found him not guilty on two counts of sexual assault.

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Constable Tim McSpadden said: “I would like to thank the victim for demonstrating such bravery in coming forward to report these offences and for her continued courage throughout.

“I hope that the victim and her family can now begin to move forward with their lives.”