Seventeen mobile library stops have been saved but Hampshire County Council is axing paid staff at three libraries

Hampshire County Council's mobile library bus

Hampshire County Council's mobile library bus

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

SEVENTEEN mobile library stops are to be saved from cuts – but county bosses are pressing ahead with axing paid staff at three libraries.

A mobile service for under fives is also set to be scrapped as part of £93million cuts passed by the Tory led administration earlier this year.

Following a three month consultation a total of 98 stops will be ditched across Hampshire instead of 115 initially planned.

Those saved include The Limes Pub, Fareham, Dene Way, Ashurst, the community hall in Woodlands, Crampmoor Lane in Ampfield and Middle Wallop army camp.

Stops now facing the chop are three in Fareham, six in Eastleigh, seven in the Romsey area, ten around Winchester and 24 in the New Forest.

But some members of an influential cross party committee yesterday condemned the cuts.

Cuts criticised Councillor Peter Chegwyn, Liberal Democrat opposition spokesman for culture and communities, said: “I find this profoundly depressing.

“It is an ongoing remorseless running down of library services.”

Since 2009 there has been nearly a 25 per cent cut in spending on the library service, according to an official report – which also reveals the number of library visits has dropped by 9.2 per cent during that period.

However, Fareham county council councillor Chris Wood said: “It is going down because the opening hours are going down. I think it is quite sad we have got to this stage.”

As reported, Milford-on-Sea library is set to lose its staff – with the hope local volunteers will run it.

A consultation found 81 per cent said they would use it if it continued.

Milford and Hordle conservative and county councillor Alan Rice said a village meeting about the library’s future saw at least 20 people expressing interest in volunteering.

He said: “I think there may be some comprise where it might stay open for part of the week.”

Gosport county councillor Shaun Cully said the cuts to Milford-on-Sea and two other Hampshire libraries, were understandable because they were the least used in Hampshire.

But he opposed closure of the family library link services for the under fives in nurseries, playgroups and children’s centres operating in Havant, Portchester and Gosport for 30 years.

All those consulted were against the closure, which will be in May 2016 when the vehicle lease runs out.

The cuts will be rubber stamped on September16 while plans for Milford-on-Sea will be agreed in December to allow volunteers to come forward.

Councillor Keith Chapman, executive member for Culture, Recreation and Countryside, said: “Where there are recommendations to reduce or change services, I will be carefully considering what appropriate, alternative provision is available nearby and that provision is protected for as many local people as possible.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:21am Thu 4 Sep 14

southy says...

Cuts never ending as we head full onto a Coroporation world.
Cuts never ending as we head full onto a Coroporation world. southy
  • Score: -1

11:41am Thu 4 Sep 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Cuts never ending as we head full onto a Coroporation world.
Library services are changing with the times.

You know as well as I do that the mobile library service has hardly been used for years and is a drain on other services. The service was there - people just chose not to use it.

While I can accept that books will always have a place with iPads, Kindles etc and the fact that virtually everyone has a broadband connection they mobile libraries have become quite redundant and libraries must adapt to become a viable service.

This called change and progress - dirty words in your backwards outlook on the world I grant you.

The Winchester Discovery center in Winchester is an excellent example of how a modern library service combined with the latest technology can be run within a reasonable budget.

When you can join the rest of us in the 21st century and can also stop pretending you care just to use it to score unworthy and quite frankly irrelevant political points, let us know. x
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Cuts never ending as we head full onto a Coroporation world.[/p][/quote]Library services are changing with the times. You know as well as I do that the mobile library service has hardly been used for years and is a drain on other services. The service was there - people just chose not to use it. While I can accept that books will always have a place with iPads, Kindles etc and the fact that virtually everyone has a broadband connection they mobile libraries have become quite redundant and libraries must adapt to become a viable service. This called change and progress - dirty words in your backwards outlook on the world I grant you. The Winchester Discovery center in Winchester is an excellent example of how a modern library service combined with the latest technology can be run within a reasonable budget. When you can join the rest of us in the 21st century and can also stop pretending you care just to use it to score unworthy and quite frankly irrelevant political points, let us know. x Shoong
  • Score: 2

11:43am Thu 4 Sep 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Cuts never ending as we head full onto a Coroporation world.
Library services are changing with the times.

You know as well as I do that the mobile library service has hardly been used for years and is a drain on other services. The service was there - people just chose not to use it.

While I can accept that books will always have a place with iPads, Kindles etc and the fact that virtually everyone has a broadband connection they mobile libraries have become quite redundant and libraries must adapt to become a viable service.

This called change and progress - dirty words in your backwards outlook on the world I grant you.

The Winchester Discovery center in Winchester is an excellent example of how a modern library service combined with the latest technology can be run within a reasonable budget.

When you can join the rest of us in the 21st century and can also stop pretending you care just to use it to score unworthy and quite frankly irrelevant political points, let us know. x
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Cuts never ending as we head full onto a Coroporation world.[/p][/quote]Library services are changing with the times. You know as well as I do that the mobile library service has hardly been used for years and is a drain on other services. The service was there - people just chose not to use it. While I can accept that books will always have a place with iPads, Kindles etc and the fact that virtually everyone has a broadband connection they mobile libraries have become quite redundant and libraries must adapt to become a viable service. This called change and progress - dirty words in your backwards outlook on the world I grant you. The Winchester Discovery center in Winchester is an excellent example of how a modern library service combined with the latest technology can be run within a reasonable budget. When you can join the rest of us in the 21st century and can also stop pretending you care just to use it to score unworthy and quite frankly irrelevant political points, let us know. x Shoong
  • Score: 0

12:01pm Thu 4 Sep 14

southy says...

Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life.
There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,
Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life. There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services, southy
  • Score: 2

12:29pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life.
There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,
Utter garbage as usual - what do you think the average person is going to do? Walk to the library or download/ view in the comfort of their own home. Or pay bills. Or contact friends and relatives? Why not walk to your local library then to spout leftist rubbish all day? But your not - your doing it from home.

While I can understand that senior citizens like yourself may find it difficult to adapt to these new technologies, did it occur to you that within a few generations time every one will have a broadband connection at home - much like water and electricity. It will become part of a home.

If a busy mother of 3 for example wants her children to read - what's more convenient? Walking to the library or letting them read it on a internet connected device at home? Again, you are about 15 years behind on knowing how people live their lives in the 21st century.

'Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet'

That statement, as you are well aware, is pure bilge.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life. There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,[/p][/quote]Utter garbage as usual - what do you think the average person is going to do? Walk to the library or download/ view in the comfort of their own home. Or pay bills. Or contact friends and relatives? Why not walk to your local library then to spout leftist rubbish all day? But your not - your doing it from home. While I can understand that senior citizens like yourself may find it difficult to adapt to these new technologies, did it occur to you that within a few generations time every one will have a broadband connection at home - much like water and electricity. It will become part of a home. If a busy mother of 3 for example wants her children to read - what's more convenient? Walking to the library or letting them read it on a internet connected device at home? Again, you are about 15 years behind on knowing how people live their lives in the 21st century. 'Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet' That statement, as you are well aware, is pure bilge. Shoong
  • Score: 0

12:37pm Thu 4 Sep 14

southy says...

southy wrote:
Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life.
There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,
Also I do care what happens to all and not like your self only think off your self, one of theings that you all ways come across as I all right jack never mind the rest
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life. There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,[/p][/quote]Also I do care what happens to all and not like your self only think off your self, one of theings that you all ways come across as I all right jack never mind the rest southy
  • Score: 0

12:55pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
southy wrote:
Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life.
There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,
Also I do care what happens to all and not like your self only think off your self, one of theings that you all ways come across as I all right jack never mind the rest
That's an arrogant assumption and one of your generic responses when you have run out of things to say.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life. There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,[/p][/quote]Also I do care what happens to all and not like your self only think off your self, one of theings that you all ways come across as I all right jack never mind the rest[/p][/quote]That's an arrogant assumption and one of your generic responses when you have run out of things to say. Shoong
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Thu 4 Sep 14

southy says...

Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life.
There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,
Utter garbage as usual - what do you think the average person is going to do? Walk to the library or download/ view in the comfort of their own home. Or pay bills. Or contact friends and relatives? Why not walk to your local library then to spout leftist rubbish all day? But your not - your doing it from home.

While I can understand that senior citizens like yourself may find it difficult to adapt to these new technologies, did it occur to you that within a few generations time every one will have a broadband connection at home - much like water and electricity. It will become part of a home.

If a busy mother of 3 for example wants her children to read - what's more convenient? Walking to the library or letting them read it on a internet connected device at home? Again, you are about 15 years behind on knowing how people live their lives in the 21st century.

'Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet'

That statement, as you are well aware, is pure bilge.
I can under stand why you don't know what going on the real world because you don't have time to listen such things as Parliment Channel to get you up to date on current affairs. What is said in government you need to listen to them to hear what been said, just because it do not suit you and your narrow one sided thinking and you do not belong to any political group so you are less likely to know what is really going, but still you keep to your Daily Mail Bilge.
If a mother of 3 wanting her child to read then the better to read Books not the internet, Even low Books can cause eye damage looking at the a screen do a lot more damage to eyes.
Its true enough most don't have internet conection according to the Government, there are many still in this country that can not get connected, and there are many that do not wish to have the internet, and there many that can not afford the internet, It don't come free the internet is an expensive luxury which is one of the first things to go when a house hold got to make cut backs because they don't have enough money coming in.
You take the row of houses that i live in only 2 have the internet and across the road from me only 3 have the internet, out off 82 homes in my road only 18 have the internet, the rest don't because they either Don't want it or Can Not Afford it and many of these homes have both parents working and this is how its like though out the country
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life. There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,[/p][/quote]Utter garbage as usual - what do you think the average person is going to do? Walk to the library or download/ view in the comfort of their own home. Or pay bills. Or contact friends and relatives? Why not walk to your local library then to spout leftist rubbish all day? But your not - your doing it from home. While I can understand that senior citizens like yourself may find it difficult to adapt to these new technologies, did it occur to you that within a few generations time every one will have a broadband connection at home - much like water and electricity. It will become part of a home. If a busy mother of 3 for example wants her children to read - what's more convenient? Walking to the library or letting them read it on a internet connected device at home? Again, you are about 15 years behind on knowing how people live their lives in the 21st century. 'Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet' That statement, as you are well aware, is pure bilge.[/p][/quote]I can under stand why you don't know what going on the real world because you don't have time to listen such things as Parliment Channel to get you up to date on current affairs. What is said in government you need to listen to them to hear what been said, just because it do not suit you and your narrow one sided thinking and you do not belong to any political group so you are less likely to know what is really going, but still you keep to your Daily Mail Bilge. If a mother of 3 wanting her child to read then the better to read Books not the internet, Even low Books can cause eye damage looking at the a screen do a lot more damage to eyes. Its true enough most don't have internet conection according to the Government, there are many still in this country that can not get connected, and there are many that do not wish to have the internet, and there many that can not afford the internet, It don't come free the internet is an expensive luxury which is one of the first things to go when a house hold got to make cut backs because they don't have enough money coming in. You take the row of houses that i live in only 2 have the internet and across the road from me only 3 have the internet, out off 82 homes in my road only 18 have the internet, the rest don't because they either Don't want it or Can Not Afford it and many of these homes have both parents working and this is how its like though out the country southy
  • Score: -3

1:31pm Thu 4 Sep 14

micromark says...

Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life.
There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,
Utter garbage as usual - what do you think the average person is going to do? Walk to the library or download/ view in the comfort of their own home. Or pay bills. Or contact friends and relatives? Why not walk to your local library then to spout leftist rubbish all day? But your not - your doing it from home.

While I can understand that senior citizens like yourself may find it difficult to adapt to these new technologies, did it occur to you that within a few generations time every one will have a broadband connection at home - much like water and electricity. It will become part of a home.

If a busy mother of 3 for example wants her children to read - what's more convenient? Walking to the library or letting them read it on a internet connected device at home? Again, you are about 15 years behind on knowing how people live their lives in the 21st century.

'Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet'

That statement, as you are well aware, is pure bilge.
I take your point regarding the convenience of downloading reading material to a portable device, but Libraries are more than just buildings that contain books. A Library is a place where a person can socialise and discover wonderful new books to read. It's where you can remove yourself from the usual familiar surroundings and just take some quiet time to unwind and relax. Yes, I may sound like a Library evangelist, but I work in the Library of one of our cities Universities and it is truly the most fabulous place to be in. Our students are digital natives but they come in their thousands every day to use the Library, in addition to using materials available online, and tell us how much they love the Library.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life. There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,[/p][/quote]Utter garbage as usual - what do you think the average person is going to do? Walk to the library or download/ view in the comfort of their own home. Or pay bills. Or contact friends and relatives? Why not walk to your local library then to spout leftist rubbish all day? But your not - your doing it from home. While I can understand that senior citizens like yourself may find it difficult to adapt to these new technologies, did it occur to you that within a few generations time every one will have a broadband connection at home - much like water and electricity. It will become part of a home. If a busy mother of 3 for example wants her children to read - what's more convenient? Walking to the library or letting them read it on a internet connected device at home? Again, you are about 15 years behind on knowing how people live their lives in the 21st century. 'Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet' That statement, as you are well aware, is pure bilge.[/p][/quote]I take your point regarding the convenience of downloading reading material to a portable device, but Libraries are more than just buildings that contain books. A Library is a place where a person can socialise and discover wonderful new books to read. It's where you can remove yourself from the usual familiar surroundings and just take some quiet time to unwind and relax. Yes, I may sound like a Library evangelist, but I work in the Library of one of our cities Universities and it is truly the most fabulous place to be in. Our students are digital natives but they come in their thousands every day to use the Library, in addition to using materials available online, and tell us how much they love the Library. micromark
  • Score: 5

1:32pm Thu 4 Sep 14

southy says...

Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
southy wrote:
Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life.
There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,
Also I do care what happens to all and not like your self only think off your self, one of theings that you all ways come across as I all right jack never mind the rest
That's an arrogant assumption and one of your generic responses when you have run out of things to say.
Well its true its been commented on before about you and your I all right jack and sod the rest, the only thing that counts is what you think and what you want.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life. There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,[/p][/quote]Also I do care what happens to all and not like your self only think off your self, one of theings that you all ways come across as I all right jack never mind the rest[/p][/quote]That's an arrogant assumption and one of your generic responses when you have run out of things to say.[/p][/quote]Well its true its been commented on before about you and your I all right jack and sod the rest, the only thing that counts is what you think and what you want. southy
  • Score: -4

2:07pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
southy wrote:
Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life.
There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,
Also I do care what happens to all and not like your self only think off your self, one of theings that you all ways come across as I all right jack never mind the rest
That's an arrogant assumption and one of your generic responses when you have run out of things to say.
Well its true its been commented on before about you and your I all right jack and sod the rest, the only thing that counts is what you think and what you want.
Only by you I suspect - I can't think of any examples.

I would say you resort to making things up but then I suppose you actually start with that.

You seem to have plenty of time on your hands today for someone who has better things to do than be on this site all day. Shouldn't you be off down the chippy soon hassling people with outdated political dogma?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life. There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,[/p][/quote]Also I do care what happens to all and not like your self only think off your self, one of theings that you all ways come across as I all right jack never mind the rest[/p][/quote]That's an arrogant assumption and one of your generic responses when you have run out of things to say.[/p][/quote]Well its true its been commented on before about you and your I all right jack and sod the rest, the only thing that counts is what you think and what you want.[/p][/quote]Only by you I suspect - I can't think of any examples. I would say you resort to making things up but then I suppose you actually start with that. You seem to have plenty of time on your hands today for someone who has better things to do than be on this site all day. Shouldn't you be off down the chippy soon hassling people with outdated political dogma? Shoong
  • Score: 3

2:09pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
southy wrote:
Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life.
There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,
Also I do care what happens to all and not like your self only think off your self, one of theings that you all ways come across as I all right jack never mind the rest
That's an arrogant assumption and one of your generic responses when you have run out of things to say.
Well its true its been commented on before about you and your I all right jack and sod the rest, the only thing that counts is what you think and what you want.
And seeing as you where in the Merchant Navy, isn't there something you should be doing on this designated day..?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life. There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,[/p][/quote]Also I do care what happens to all and not like your self only think off your self, one of theings that you all ways come across as I all right jack never mind the rest[/p][/quote]That's an arrogant assumption and one of your generic responses when you have run out of things to say.[/p][/quote]Well its true its been commented on before about you and your I all right jack and sod the rest, the only thing that counts is what you think and what you want.[/p][/quote]And seeing as you where in the Merchant Navy, isn't there something you should be doing on this designated day..? Shoong
  • Score: 0

3:05pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life.
There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,
Utter garbage as usual - what do you think the average person is going to do? Walk to the library or download/ view in the comfort of their own home. Or pay bills. Or contact friends and relatives? Why not walk to your local library then to spout leftist rubbish all day? But your not - your doing it from home.

While I can understand that senior citizens like yourself may find it difficult to adapt to these new technologies, did it occur to you that within a few generations time every one will have a broadband connection at home - much like water and electricity. It will become part of a home.

If a busy mother of 3 for example wants her children to read - what's more convenient? Walking to the library or letting them read it on a internet connected device at home? Again, you are about 15 years behind on knowing how people live their lives in the 21st century.

'Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet'

That statement, as you are well aware, is pure bilge.
I can under stand why you don't know what going on the real world because you don't have time to listen such things as Parliment Channel to get you up to date on current affairs. What is said in government you need to listen to them to hear what been said, just because it do not suit you and your narrow one sided thinking and you do not belong to any political group so you are less likely to know what is really going, but still you keep to your Daily Mail Bilge.
If a mother of 3 wanting her child to read then the better to read Books not the internet, Even low Books can cause eye damage looking at the a screen do a lot more damage to eyes.
Its true enough most don't have internet conection according to the Government, there are many still in this country that can not get connected, and there are many that do not wish to have the internet, and there many that can not afford the internet, It don't come free the internet is an expensive luxury which is one of the first things to go when a house hold got to make cut backs because they don't have enough money coming in.
You take the row of houses that i live in only 2 have the internet and across the road from me only 3 have the internet, out off 82 homes in my road only 18 have the internet, the rest don't because they either Don't want it or Can Not Afford it and many of these homes have both parents working and this is how its like though out the country
Childish gobbledygook from a Living Fossil...
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life. There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,[/p][/quote]Utter garbage as usual - what do you think the average person is going to do? Walk to the library or download/ view in the comfort of their own home. Or pay bills. Or contact friends and relatives? Why not walk to your local library then to spout leftist rubbish all day? But your not - your doing it from home. While I can understand that senior citizens like yourself may find it difficult to adapt to these new technologies, did it occur to you that within a few generations time every one will have a broadband connection at home - much like water and electricity. It will become part of a home. If a busy mother of 3 for example wants her children to read - what's more convenient? Walking to the library or letting them read it on a internet connected device at home? Again, you are about 15 years behind on knowing how people live their lives in the 21st century. 'Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet' That statement, as you are well aware, is pure bilge.[/p][/quote]I can under stand why you don't know what going on the real world because you don't have time to listen such things as Parliment Channel to get you up to date on current affairs. What is said in government you need to listen to them to hear what been said, just because it do not suit you and your narrow one sided thinking and you do not belong to any political group so you are less likely to know what is really going, but still you keep to your Daily Mail Bilge. If a mother of 3 wanting her child to read then the better to read Books not the internet, Even low Books can cause eye damage looking at the a screen do a lot more damage to eyes. Its true enough most don't have internet conection according to the Government, there are many still in this country that can not get connected, and there are many that do not wish to have the internet, and there many that can not afford the internet, It don't come free the internet is an expensive luxury which is one of the first things to go when a house hold got to make cut backs because they don't have enough money coming in. You take the row of houses that i live in only 2 have the internet and across the road from me only 3 have the internet, out off 82 homes in my road only 18 have the internet, the rest don't because they either Don't want it or Can Not Afford it and many of these homes have both parents working and this is how its like though out the country[/p][/quote]Childish gobbledygook from a Living Fossil... Shoong
  • Score: 4

10:49am Fri 5 Sep 14

freefinker says...

southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life.
There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,
Utter garbage as usual - what do you think the average person is going to do? Walk to the library or download/ view in the comfort of their own home. Or pay bills. Or contact friends and relatives? Why not walk to your local library then to spout leftist rubbish all day? But your not - your doing it from home.

While I can understand that senior citizens like yourself may find it difficult to adapt to these new technologies, did it occur to you that within a few generations time every one will have a broadband connection at home - much like water and electricity. It will become part of a home.

If a busy mother of 3 for example wants her children to read - what's more convenient? Walking to the library or letting them read it on a internet connected device at home? Again, you are about 15 years behind on knowing how people live their lives in the 21st century.

'Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet'

That statement, as you are well aware, is pure bilge.
I can under stand why you don't know what going on the real world because you don't have time to listen such things as Parliment Channel to get you up to date on current affairs. What is said in government you need to listen to them to hear what been said, just because it do not suit you and your narrow one sided thinking and you do not belong to any political group so you are less likely to know what is really going, but still you keep to your Daily Mail Bilge.
If a mother of 3 wanting her child to read then the better to read Books not the internet, Even low Books can cause eye damage looking at the a screen do a lot more damage to eyes.
Its true enough most don't have internet conection according to the Government, there are many still in this country that can not get connected, and there are many that do not wish to have the internet, and there many that can not afford the internet, It don't come free the internet is an expensive luxury which is one of the first things to go when a house hold got to make cut backs because they don't have enough money coming in.
You take the row of houses that i live in only 2 have the internet and across the road from me only 3 have the internet, out off 82 homes in my road only 18 have the internet, the rest don't because they either Don't want it or Can Not Afford it and many of these homes have both parents working and this is how its like though out the country
.. yet more made up 'statistics' from the Redbridge Trot.
You have absolutely no idea who has and has not got internet connections in your road. You've made it all up. Pathetic.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet according to Cameron who reckons people should be force onto the internet to conduct there day to day life. There are many people who still needs the Library and all sevices should be maintain give people a choice, not force them to do things by taking away services,[/p][/quote]Utter garbage as usual - what do you think the average person is going to do? Walk to the library or download/ view in the comfort of their own home. Or pay bills. Or contact friends and relatives? Why not walk to your local library then to spout leftist rubbish all day? But your not - your doing it from home. While I can understand that senior citizens like yourself may find it difficult to adapt to these new technologies, did it occur to you that within a few generations time every one will have a broadband connection at home - much like water and electricity. It will become part of a home. If a busy mother of 3 for example wants her children to read - what's more convenient? Walking to the library or letting them read it on a internet connected device at home? Again, you are about 15 years behind on knowing how people live their lives in the 21st century. 'Most do not have internet connection or not willing to go on to the internet' That statement, as you are well aware, is pure bilge.[/p][/quote]I can under stand why you don't know what going on the real world because you don't have time to listen such things as Parliment Channel to get you up to date on current affairs. What is said in government you need to listen to them to hear what been said, just because it do not suit you and your narrow one sided thinking and you do not belong to any political group so you are less likely to know what is really going, but still you keep to your Daily Mail Bilge. If a mother of 3 wanting her child to read then the better to read Books not the internet, Even low Books can cause eye damage looking at the a screen do a lot more damage to eyes. Its true enough most don't have internet conection according to the Government, there are many still in this country that can not get connected, and there are many that do not wish to have the internet, and there many that can not afford the internet, It don't come free the internet is an expensive luxury which is one of the first things to go when a house hold got to make cut backs because they don't have enough money coming in. You take the row of houses that i live in only 2 have the internet and across the road from me only 3 have the internet, out off 82 homes in my road only 18 have the internet, the rest don't because they either Don't want it or Can Not Afford it and many of these homes have both parents working and this is how its like though out the country[/p][/quote].. yet more made up 'statistics' from the Redbridge Trot. You have absolutely no idea who has and has not got internet connections in your road. You've made it all up. Pathetic. freefinker
  • Score: 3

8:22am Sun 7 Sep 14

Frogham Ferret says...

In Great Britain, 21 million households (83%) had Internet access in 2013. (ONS). The remainder (mainly OAP's) do not have a connection. Libraries are warm and have the daily paper.
In Great Britain, 21 million households (83%) had Internet access in 2013. (ONS). The remainder (mainly OAP's) do not have a connection. Libraries are warm and have the daily paper. Frogham Ferret
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree