A SOUTHAMPTON school has acted to step up the safety of its pupils after two youngsters were approached on their way home.
The girls, aged 11 and 12, were walking home from Cantell School via Daisy Dip between 2.30pm and 3.15pm on Monday, February 13.
The girls saw a "suspicious-looking" man in Daisy Dip with a push bike and the 11-year-old was later approached by a man in a blue car on Copperfield Road.
The girl, who described the man as being white and in his 30s, believes it was the same man who was on the bike.
Following the incident, Cantell School headteacher Harry Kutty said “necessary steps” had been taken to ensure the pupils are “safeguarded to the best of our ability”.
Mr Kutty added: “This has included messages at tutor time, messages during assembly and an increased presence from staff before and after school.
“We have and will continue to keep our community informed of any updates via our website, Facebook page and through text messaging.”
Mr Kutty said letters had also been sent out to pupils giving guidance on how to keep safe.
He added: “In the first week back after half-term, any students arriving early, from 8.15am onwards will be allowed into the school and can wait for the start of registration either in the main hall or under the canopy.
“Our girls and boys clubs will operate as normal and new students are more than welcome.
“Please may I take this opportunity to wish you all a peaceful and safe half-term.”