A TEENAGER with 13 previous convictions for 23 offences at just 18 years old has avoided jail time after being given his second last chance.

Wycliffe Gayle who broke into a Southampton school and stole £200 was caught after he left a smear on a window with his DNA on it.

The teenager was sentenced at Southampton Crown Court after he admitting to one count of burglary, another of criminal damage and to breaching a suspended sentence.

Gayle, of Chiltern Green, Southampton, was given a 16-week sentence suspended for two years, with a 20-day rehabilitation requirement.

He was also told to complete a thinking skills programme and 40 hours of unpaid work.

The court heard on November 30, at about 11.40pm, the security alarm at Nursling Church of England Primary School went off.

When staff arrived they found a window had been forced open and someone had broken into an office near reception, made an untidy search, damaged draws in a desk and stole £200 in cash.

Prosecuting, Matthew Lawson said police went to arrest Gayle, after a DNA test identified him, but he was drunk and tried to run away.

After being arrested and put in a cell he then decided to urinate on the floor.

The court heard Gayle had a number of previous convictions, including dishonesty offences, shoplifting, theft of a bike, common assault, possession of a bladed article and burglary.

In mitigation, Robert Grey said the defendant had come from a disadvantaged background with a mother who was an alcoholic and a father involved in crime, so had a lack of support at home.

He added Gayle was remorseful and had already completed the 100 hours as part of a community order and 12-month suspended sentence given to him in September.

Judge Nicholas Rowland said Gayle was told by another judge in September that he was very lucky he was being given a suspended sentence then.

He added: “This is you final chance, if you throw this back in the court’s face you will go to prison.

“Next time you come back, you won’t be so lucky.”