Worker died from exposure to asbestos

Worker died from exposure to asbestos

Worker died from exposure to asbestos

First published in News

A FORMER dockworker in Southampton died from his extensive contact with asbestos during the 1960s an inquest has heard.

Peter Mathieson, 67, from Canterbury Avenue in Sholing, died from mesothelioma caused by contact with the deadly material during his years working for shipping companies and at Southampton docks.

Southampton Coroner’s Court heard how one of his jobs was unloading sacks of asbestos from the cargo hold of ships from South Africa, where he would tie up the sacks of material for a crane.

Asbestos would often spill from the sacks and rain down on him before he would then sweep out the cargo hold, the inquest heard.

Deputy coroner Gordon Denson recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree